General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Sports bra question Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2012-11-21 7:53 AM

User image

Subject: Sports bra question

I am hoping some of the more well-endowed women can help me with this issue.  I have done one duatlon and want to move to triathlons.  One of the things that held me back from doing a tri in the first place is what to wear.  Most triathlete clothing is aimed for the A/B cup women, which I am not.

Is there any problem with swimming in a sports bra and tri-shorts, then throwing on a lightweight jersey in the transition.  Not having a taut stomach, the idea of running in just a bra is outside of my comfort zone, plus there is the safety issue if I wreck the bike.

Also, when I run half marathons, I always end up with bra chaffing despite the liberal application of body glide.  It seems like that would be worse after the swim.  What can be done to prevent this?  Should I take the time to slather on Vaseline during the transition?

Thanks from a newbie.

Edited by happyscientist 2012-11-21 7:53 AM

2012-11-21 11:42 AM
in reply to: #4505847

User image

Veteran
Kitchener
Subject: RE: Sports bra question
I did mine in my 'lock and load' DD sports bra, lycra shorts (I was too 'fluffy' for tri-shorts) and 'non-tri-specific' athletic tank top, the same stuff that i regularly run in... it worked just fine for all three events.  The tank wasn't big and floppy by any means, but definitely wasn't skin tight either, and did not pose a problem in the water.  Honestly, for my first season, what to wear was by far my biggest stress.  Manufacturers don't make tri-wear for us "Rubanesque" women, and those that do, definitely don't ship to Canada! Unfortunately I can't speak to the chafing... I have not experienced that, but my longest run has only been 13K.  best of luck finding what you need!
2012-11-21 12:15 PM

User image

Pennsylvania

Welcome!!

I wear a wicking sports bra (no cotton) under a tri top for the whole race, and tri shorts on the bottom.  If chafing is an issue, yes, liberally apply Body Glide or some other protectant before the swim, and for under 70.3 distance, I'd think it should work just fine.  70.3 and over, it may be a good idea to take the time to reapply post-swim just in case.  I've done sprints and Olys with Body Glide applied only at the start and been fine (except where I missed putting Body Glide, ha!  I mean, ouch!)

2012-11-21 1:12 PM

User image

Thanks.  I am a little surprised to hear women say the loose tops don't cause problems swimming.  About a year ago I swam the better part of a mile in a loose tankini and regretted the extra fabric.  I could definitely feel it getting in the way.
2012-11-21 1:32 PM

User image

Veteran
Kitchener
With all the chaos and "near drowning" i experienced in the water, a loose bathing suit would not have even been on my radar!  There were so many other things that needed attention, i totally didn't even notice my clothing.
2012-11-21 2:22 PM
in reply to: #4506408

User image

Champion
, Minnesota
Bronze member

I finally had my first non-wetsuit swim in a race this summer and I also felt the extra fabric from the tritop got in the way.  It was very specifically meant for triathlon racing and while it wasn't skin tight, it was very fitted.  To me (okay, not a very confident swimmer worried about her first non-wetsuit swim) it felt like an anchor. 

I have seem plenty of folks wear just the sports bra and trishorts for the swim.  Just be aware that getting any kind of top on, while wet, will be a challenge

Either way, I have always worn a sports bra under whatever tri outfit I have worn and it's always fine.  Looks a little ugly sometimes, but I haven't ever felt like it was a problem. No, there's no way in heck I'd go without, even if I was small on top!

2012-11-22 6:27 AM
in reply to: #4506273

User image

Expert
melbo55 - 2012-11-21 1:15 PM

Welcome!!

I wear a wicking sports bra (no cotton) under a tri top for the whole race, and tri shorts on the bottom.  If chafing is an issue, yes, liberally apply Body Glide or some other protectant before the swim, and for under 70.3 distance, I'd think it should work just fine.  70.3 and over, it may be a good idea to take the time to reapply post-swim just in case.  I've done sprints and Olys with Body Glide applied only at the start and been fine (except where I missed putting Body Glide, ha!  I mean, ouch!)

This.  100%

2012-11-22 6:30 AM
in reply to: #4506378

User image

Expert

happyscientist - 2012-11-21 2:12 PM Thanks.  I am a little surprised to hear women say the loose tops don't cause problems swimming.  About a year ago I swam the better part of a mile in a loose tankini and regretted the extra fabric.  I could definitely feel it getting in the way.

They aren't talking about loose tops, triathlon tops are very fitted.

http://www.tyr.com/shop/womens-carbon-triathlon-tank.html

It should fit just as tight as a swimsuit. especially if you are not wearing a wetsuit.

I pulled on a top in T1 in my first triathlon.  it was so hard to put on clothes when I was wet.

2012-11-22 8:24 AM

User image

I hadn't considered wearing a sports bra under a tri top.  As someone who considers cycling her primary sport, those tops make me a little nervous.  They are so exposed.  The road rash if you wreck must be horrific.
2012-11-22 8:40 AM
in reply to: #4507095

User image

Veteran
Kitchener
Forget about the bike, you should see the road rash scars i'm left with after wiping out running this summer...  Embarassed  Can't even claim a good story out of them.
2012-11-22 9:02 AM

User image

Elite
Utah

In response to the chafing when running... examine the condition of your bra.  I've had the same experience lately and realized that as I was loosing weight and my bra's were aging the band underneath was stretched and not fitting properly.  I still do put body glide on under neath the breast to help.  As well I ran 20 the other day in a newer raceback bra and ended up w/ chafing on my collarbones (OUCH!).  Run shorter distances in new bra's to determine feasibility.

I've done a HIM in a well fit bra and not ended up with any chafing.

I started as a DD and cannot say enough about what you'll hear elsewhere, as well.  Moving Comfort Fiona bra w/ a tri top over. 

GOOD LUCK!!!

2012-11-22 10:45 AM

User image

Champion
Williamston, Michigan

I highly reccomend CW-X brand bras.  Love them.  I know a lot of people like the enell and the moving comfort line as well.  The enell looks way too much like a straight jacket for me

I wear a sports bra under a tri top.  The shelf bras in the tri tops are a joke if you have any boobs at all.  For swimming non wetsuit legal make sure your tri top is tight fitting.....or invest in a swim skin.

2012-11-23 5:39 PM

For my two sprints over the summer I wore a Moving Comfort Fiona sports bra under a very inexpensive tri suit.  The one piece tri suit did not have nearly enough support for me so I wore the Fiona sports bra with no issues at all.  I wear a DD and I was very comfortable and didn't have any issues with chafing at all.
2012-11-24 12:29 PM

User image

I know the Moving comfort line is highly recommended.  I have tried two of their bras including the Fiona.  I am convinced they have a designer specifically dedicated to chafing my skin.  I was bleeding in multiple places after a half marathon in the Fiona.

Cx isn't as bad, but it still chafes.

2012-11-25 2:49 PM

User image

New user

I spotted this thread looking for suggestions on good sports bras for tris.  I have to say, I don't know how anyone uses an Enell bra for running.  It's made of the most non-moisture wicking, non-breathable material ever. 

My Under Armour heat gear bra is my go to for running, but there's a bit too much padding for swimming.  It seems like it's hard to get a bra with support and compression but with no padding.  I also have a Moving Comfort, but it seems like all my tops are racer back and this bra is not. 

What model CW-X do you ladies recommend?

2012-11-26 6:17 AM
in reply to: #4508611

User image

Expert
happyscientist - 2012-11-24 1:29 PM

I know the Moving comfort line is highly recommended.  I have tried two of their bras including the Fiona.  I am convinced they have a designer specifically dedicated to chafing my skin.  I was bleeding in multiple places after a half marathon in the Fiona.

Cx isn't as bad, but it still chafes.

I find the worst place on the MC bras is the clasps.  If you make sure that you use atleast the middle eyelets, it is a lot better.  I also body glide everywhere before my long runs.

2012-12-18 4:44 PM

User image

Silver member
I have done all my tris in a D Cup wicking sports bra, one piece tri suit and add a sport skirt  (and/or shirt depending the weather) in transition. I have had no chafing but spend the money on a good sports bra.  
2012-12-29 8:41 PM

Chafing could be a sign that the bra isn't the proper size. Forget those charts on the bra packets, they're usually useless. (You wouldn't believe how far out of whack my chart bra size is from what I really need to wear - about 4 cup sizes out.)

Go for a fitting with a certified fitter if you can. Some sports bras do come in cup sizes and have structure without padding. Many so called "sports bras" are just stretchy short tops, you need one made with non-stretchy fabrics.

2013-01-07 1:40 PM

User image

Veteran
Wilson, NC (East of Raleigh, NC)

I usually swim in a sports bra and tri shorts - but the majority of my tri's have also included a wetsuit.   I think I have done one in a pool that didn't allow a wetsuit and just ran into transition from pool and put on a tri shirt/tank over my sports bra.

The biggest thing is buying a synthetic sports bra (no cotton what so ever).   I usually wear 38D and swear by the Fiona and Juno Moving Comfort bras.   They are tricky to put on, but worth it for the bounce factor alone when you run.  

On race mornings (or long runs) I try to coat shoulder straps and underneath 'girls'  and lower strap with Body Glide.  Good luck so far with that, even after the swims.

Good luck!

2013-01-11 4:55 PM

This is more big boob related than bra related but...

Has anyone ever tried to have a breast reduction paid for by insurance by claiming the bounce factor was inhibiting a healthy lifestyle? I breastfed for almost a dozen straight years (mutliple children!) and while not terribly large, my girls are quite loose and saggy. (I blame the twin the most!) Several years out from no longer nursing I can now run in just a really tight sports bra without too much chafing or discomfort, but I'd really like a lift/reduction/i don't know what and be able to run in just a regularly fitting sports bra. Or be able to run (down the block to the bus, at the playground with kids, etc) without needing to have a special undergarment on. Anyone btdt?
2013-01-17 11:46 PM

User image

Veteran
Tempe, Arizona

I've been wearing a Moving Comfort Fiona bra for the last 2 years in sprints/olys with a tight fitting tri top over it, and I've had absolutely no chafing.  The Moving Comfort bras also dry out pretty quickly on the bike, especially in Arizona, and they are great for support!  

I will say that you have to check the Moving Comfort bra fit chart VERY carefully before you buy.  I'm a 36DD in normal bras, but I'm a 40B in the Moving Comfort bras.  Very very different size, yet the 40B fits like, well a glove

2013-01-21 7:45 AM
in reply to: #4574515

Quigley - 2013-01-11 3:55 PM This is more big boob related than bra related but... Has anyone ever tried to have a breast reduction paid for by insurance by claiming the bounce factor was inhibiting a healthy lifestyle?...

I know someone who had it done and was covered by provincial health insurance (Alberta, Canada) as unlike augmentation/implants, it's usually done for health, not cosmetic reasons. I'm not sure how it works with private health insurance, but probably much the same - your doctor and the surgeon would be the ones to convince the insurance company of it's necessity.

2013-02-25 3:46 PM

User image

Yes, my insurance paid for my breast reduction.  My doctor documented my issues and took pictures of my upper body, focusing on the bra marks on my shoulders.  I have small/petitie shoulders and very large breasts so it was quite obvious my neckand upper shoulder pain was caused by the excess weight. My only regret is that i did not go small enough. I still can't wear most "workout" gear because my breasts are still too large.  B cup would have been great but I let my doctor talk me into a large C in his words but am actually a small D cup.  Good luck.  Let me know if you have any questions.   
2019-06-16 10:09 AM
in reply to: JC_Mom_of_3

User image

Same here! That is my favorite sports bra. I bought them for running Marathons. I will be using it under my Tri shirt. DDD requires you wear something. I have been out of the TRI spirit for few years. Time to jump back on the boat this summer.
TYR and some of the other swim company's make tri sports bras, but they sometimes have a rubber backing. That will tear you up. Not comfortable at all and no support. Go with Brooks sports bras "Fiona" and they should dry pretty fast.
After reading everyone's remarks. It looks like things have not changed much in the bra world... lol
Good Luck all!
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Sports bra question Rss Feed