General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Do you feel secure running alone at night? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 3

2012-11-21 3:51 PM
in reply to: #4506305

User image

Extreme Veteran
Subject: RE: Do you feel secure running alone at night?

Deb,

My girlfriend has the same concern.  Note she is also a VERY FAST runner and could probably outrun any attacker short of Usain Bolt.  Regardless, there's a country club a mile from my house, and sometimes when she stays over, she jogs over as a warm up and then runs the golf cart pavement in the club late at night, talking 11-12pm-ish.

She bought this, which attaches to your hand.  Thankfully, she hasn't had to use it yet, so I don't know whether it is good or not.  She said it took a while to get used to running with it but felt much safer doing so.

http://www.runsafety.com/

Edited by mattramirez 2012-11-21 3:51 PM

2012-11-21 4:08 PM
in reply to: #4506590

User image

Elite
Laguna Beach

Hmmm.

I worry about stuff like this, and there has been an industry built around it.

My concern is the customer's mindset is, "I bought this non-lethal, self defense countermeasure. Now I am safe."

It provides a sense of security.

My specific concern is whether or not there is any real effectiveness if the system has to be employed. My sense (and my sense on this is good) is the effectiveness is limited for a list of reasons I won't bore you with.

Again, avoidance is always the best strategy. I'm worried about a person buying a countermeasure device and it changing their threat awareness or level of caution. That is likely not realistic.

Again, good common sense and erring on the side of avoidance and caution are always best in my opinion. Leave the mace, CS gas, chemical deterents, stun guns and other stuff at home. The argument, "Yeah, but if it makes you feel safe..." isn't a good one to me. Rather than feeling safe, I'd rather be safe.

Edited by Tom Demerly. 2012-11-21 4:10 PM
2012-11-21 5:02 PM

User image

Elite

So here in Melbourne, Australia I have been known to run at dusk - not often in the full darkness of the night - again I worry more I'll fall over!

If I have to run in the dark I prefer early morning, that way I know the darkness is going to end!  I love running as the sun comes up.

Not ever felt unsafe as such, a little lonely out there when it's cold and I'm the only lunatic running.

I wouldn't compromise my safety - if I don't feel safe then leave the run or go on the treadmill.  On dark mornings or nights I run along residential streets rather than the tracks - I am very aware of which houses are accessible and have lights on where I could run for help.  My phone is at the ready.

We can't carry weapons here in Oz, no guns, no mace.  I just hope all the sprint training means I can outrun my assailant! 

2012-11-21 5:34 PM

User image

Champion
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Bronze member

For the most part, I feel safe running at night but as a 48 year old guy running, I don't have anything most anyone would want.  Where I am in Utah, there isn't a "bad" part of town, but when I was in Illinois, there were areas where I'd run early morning or mid-day but not in the evenings. 

Make sure someone knows where you are running and when you should be back.  Twisting an ankle or otherwise hurting yourself is probably the biggest concern (I've hobbled a mile home on two different occasions when I hit a curb wrong).  Maybe isn't a concern in Las Vegas, but I also worry about running into a low hanging branch while I'm focused on the ground. 

For me, I generally run in the road rather than the sidewalk (fewer curb cuts). 

2012-11-21 5:43 PM

User image

Master
Albuquerque
Never felt unsafe running alone here. Actually I watch out more for the coyotes at night that roam my neighborhood than anything.
2012-11-21 5:54 PM

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
I'd avoid parks unless they're well-lit and well-used when you're running, and esp. running trails/paths that are isolated from street traffic and pedestrians. They're good places for potential attackers to wait for an easy victim to jog by.  Other important considerations are footing, visibility to cars, and proximity to help if you have a problem. I pretty seriously injured myself tripping while running at night--street lighting is not reliably turned on here when needed and footing is not great. It is common to make a turn and discover the lights on a particular street haven't been turned on at all, even at 9 PM.  In a developed country, the best choice for night runs would probably be lightly used residential streets where people are around but there's not too much car traffic. Wear a headlamp in case you hit areas of low visbility and lights/reflective clothing to be visible to cars and bikes.

Edited by Hot Runner 2012-11-21 5:56 PM

2012-11-21 6:15 PM

User image

Pro
Vancouver, BC
Well I don't run, but I walk at night a lot. I feel fine doing this where I live. I think it is partly because I live in a busy city, so there are always people around.
2012-11-21 7:01 PM

User image

Pro
Baton Rouge area

We live in a pretty safe neighborhood but since we live a bit in the country I am more worried about wildlife (mainly getting sprayed by a skunk or if one of the cows get out) then I am people.  When my wife runs she takes our 125 lb coon hound with her.  Not much will bother her with the hound.  That said my son often runs with her.

2012-11-21 8:50 PM

User image

Regular
Las Vegas, NV

HotRunner I think your advice most closely resembles my situation.  The park is surrounded by trees and on one long stretch there's just darkness and a bunch of thick and tall bushes.  If someone wants to kidnap you there, they can do so easily.

Track it is I guess.  Sigh  I want my 7:30 sunsets back!

2012-11-21 9:36 PM

User image

Expert
, New Hampshire

I live in a small town of about 3000. There are no lights up and down the hill I live on, no sidewalk, and all manner of four legged creatures! Into town, there are still not a lot of lights, and I'm not fond of running on concrete. So, I don't run at night. The thing I worry about most, sadly, are drunken advances from people outside the bars, and racial discrimination. People have said things to me that make me cry and it has made it hard for me to go out alone. (This isn't an experience limited to night time, but I think the drunkenness helps people say how they really feel.) I always run in daylight, and most often with a friend or my husband.

If you feel safe in your area running, go for it, with a plan to be aware of your surroundings, wearing or having in a pocket a headlamp or light, wear bright colors for visibility, and let someone know where you are planning to run and when you'll be back. I have felt safe at night in parks where I used to live, because it was well lit and always full of people, including families with strollers and kids.

2012-11-21 10:56 PM

User image

Night?  No problem, try running on the Appalachian trail and coming face to face with a large momma black bear and her CUB!!!!  That is the most acute fear I think I have ever felt.  Thankfully she decided I wasn't worth the trouble and trotted back into the laurel.

2012-11-21 11:27 PM

User image

Master
Central Kansas

GatorDeb - 2012-11-21 12:28 PM There's a park in front of my house, half a mile there, half mile loops, half mile back.  Now that it's getting dark so early it's harder to fit runs in so I end up going to an indoor track or treadmill (I work nights and in the morning do my group strength/swims and I like to separate workouts to have more energy for the second, so I sleep in-between workouts).  I have a headlamp with ample of light.  Someone told me they'd rather run on the street than on a dark park loop because of the fear of being kidnapped.  Where do you run, do you consider parks safe at night (night == 6p-9p) and do you run by yourself at night?

I don't know about parks -- we have one in town with a path, and I avoid it at night.

You have to assess your own area for safety. What I am comfortable doing in the middle of rural central Kansas, in a town of barely 2500 people where I know (at least by sight) almost everyone probably doesn't apply to the situation of very many people on this board.

But, yes. I feel safe. I wear a headlamp (I get comments about its attractiveness all the time), a reflective vest, and I stay on the city roads. The side walks around here are very uneven, and every time I have fallen, it's been on a sidewalk at night. I run on the dirt/sandy roads during the day, but they are too remote and populated by wild animals for me to feel comfortable after dark -- even dusk is sometimes iffy as far as wildlife goes.

The other factor in my town is the small college. Even when I've been out running at midnight, students are milling about, sometimes even running or cycling, but mostly walking the 3/4 mile from campus to the 24 hour convenience store.

2012-11-22 6:21 AM

User image

Expert

I haven't run by myself at night after dark since 2001.  A female jogger was murdered running at night in my home town that summer and my mum made me promise her never to run by myself after dark again and I haven't (my mother passed away in 2003).

I personally wouldn't risk it, especially in a park.  In fact I won't even run through a park in the morning when it is dark.   Learn to like running in the morning and learn to enjoy running on the streets, it isn't too bad, you get to see the city wake up.

2012-11-22 6:25 AM

User image

Regular
Las Vegas, NV
I love running outside, the problem is I work nights, and I do eight group workouts per day, and most of those are in the morning.  I could run the long run Wed morning and do weights Wed night but that cuts into my sleep time to where I would tap out at 5 hours sleep on Wednesdays, but I think that's the best plan of attack now, I feel demotivated at night and full of energy in the morning.
2012-11-22 7:01 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
, Kobenhavns Kommune

Unless local police have classified your park as a high crime area then there really is no reason to be afraid of running .. alone .. in the dark ... 

If there's a lot of people running, walking the dog, whatever, people with criminal intent will have a hard time getting away with it because of the likelihood of witnesses. If on the other hand there's just a few they'll get bored waiting. And generally it's just not a winning strategy for criminals to hang around a particular spot waiting for victims to pass by.

That said, a few simple precautions makes sense: Don't wear an iPod or similar, so you can hear if somebody is approaching or following you, bring a headlight so you can see and be seen by other runners. Stick to the main paths and bring a cell phone.

I'm a bit unsure about the headlight though, certainly you see better what's illuminated but you see less of what is not illuminated. Some say that a red light is better, doesn't interfere as much with your natural night vision abilities.

I run in the local park but it's full of runners at just about any time, the path is not lit but some street light falls on the path most of the way. One place is dark, but the main problem is avoiding stepping in puddles and running into approaching runners.

BR, Erik

2012-11-22 7:30 AM
in reply to: #4506725

User image

Veteran
Pittsburgh, PA

Hot Runner - 2012-11-21 5:54 PM I'd avoid parks unless they're well-lit and well-used when you're running, and esp. running trails/paths that are isolated from street traffic and pedestrians. They're good places for potential attackers to wait for an easy victim to jog by.  Other important considerations are footing, visibility to cars, and proximity to help if you have a problem.

I think this is the best advice.  I'm a female and I do run at night (although "night" is 7 pm) but I do it in a neighborhood with lots of non-sketchy people walking around, or in a park on a road that is open to vehicle traffic and always has multiple cars and people within earshot.

I don't think I would run in the park you describe- if there aren't lots of people around there's really no one to help you, and if you're running the same loop multiple times someone who has just an inkling of a bad idea can wait for you on your next loop.

Also want to say how much I appreciated Tom Demerly's input about carrying "protection".  I do carry mace on some runs, but definitely do not feel that carrying it allows me to run or bike places I wouldn't otherwise.  That is, don't think you're safe beause you're carrying mace or a handgun or whatever.

Some have mentioned that as a larger man they feel safe most places.  I'm 5'9" and will probably squeak in as an Athena even after they change the weight requirement.  I know that I don't get bothered in situations where my shorter/ slimmer friends do.  Combining my size with a "don't screw with me posture" (definitely not my natural posture!) has gone a long way, more in general life situations than in running specifically.

Finally, when I am running at night I usually wear baggy clothes and a hat instead of running tights and whatnot, so probably no one knows I'm a woman.

I think this is a great discussion.  I hate it when people are like "never run outside, never run on trails", but we (esp women) have to weigh the relative risks of doing stuff like this.  “Shrewd is the one that has seen the calamity and proceeds to conceal himself" - Proverbs 22:3

2012-11-22 8:43 AM

Iron Donkey
, Wisconsin
I live out in the "country", so I run at night on the rural roads that have only the stars and moon above to usually light my way. There are occasions, like last night, when a more-than-usual amount of vehicles drove by, making me get over to the crappy shoulder and stare into high beams. I feel safe because of my heighth (6'-2") which may intimidate most people, and I'm constantly aware of my surroundings (don't use headphones/earbuds and listen to music).
2012-11-22 8:45 AM

User image

Regular
Las Vegas, NV
I'm a 5'4" 120 lb female :\
2012-11-22 8:50 AM
in reply to: #4507111

Iron Donkey
, Wisconsin
GatorDeb - 2012-11-22 8:45 AMI'm a 5'4" 120 lb female :\
. Since it indicates that you are in Las Vegas, may I suggest getting in touch with BT'er Kido - he's a solid 6'6" or so and knows martial arts (his wife is pretty cool)? Good things come in small packages, don't you forget. My wife is about identical height-wise and weight-wise.
2012-11-22 3:20 PM

User image

Master
Not anymore. We've recently had a couple ladies attacked while alone running at night and picking up bread at a bakery early in the morning.
2012-11-22 3:36 PM
in reply to: #4506521

User image

Extreme Veteran
, Guam

Yes 

(X NRA multi-weapons instructor).  Gun control== being able to hit ur target

2012-11-22 4:57 PM
in reply to: #4506916

User image

Elite
GreenMtnLabbit - 2012-11-22 2:36 PM

I live in a small town of about 3000. There are no lights up and down the hill I live on, no sidewalk, and all manner of four legged creatures! Into town, there are still not a lot of lights, and I'm not fond of running on concrete. So, I don't run at night. The thing I worry about most, sadly, are drunken advances from people outside the bars, and racial discrimination. People have said things to me that make me cry and it has made it hard for me to go out alone. (This isn't an experience limited to night time, but I think the drunkenness helps people say how they really feel.) I always run in daylight, and most often with a friend or my husband.

If you feel safe in your area running, go for it, with a plan to be aware of your surroundings, wearing or having in a pocket a headlamp or light, wear bright colors for visibility, and let someone know where you are planning to run and when you'll be back. I have felt safe at night in parks where I used to live, because it was well lit and always full of people, including families with strollers and kids.

very sad you have to deal with this.  Hope it gets better.

2013-09-19 3:24 PM
in reply to: GatorDeb

User image

New user
I do.
I usually run between 9 pm and 11 pm at night. I feel my neighborhood is pretty safe.

I'll admit I keep my music to a low volume and avoid dark parks and stick to well-lit roads, but it is mostly to avoid skunks and rats! 2 months ago I almost ran over a skunk -saw it at the last second and turned around and ran the other way as fast as I could. The HR spike I saw on Garmin Connect afterwards was impressive!

That said, a lady runner was assaulted in a nearby city (I live in a smaller town) in broad daylight at a heavy traffic hour/place a couple of years ago and they had a hard time finding a witness who could give a description of the guy. So I guess that the best defense is to be very aware and stay within reach of houses/people, whenever and wherever you run.
2013-09-19 3:43 PM
in reply to: GatorDeb

User image

Expert
Greenville, SC

there has been a murder, attempted murder of cyclist, and many muggings leaving people hospitalized recently on the very popular MUP where i live.... needless to say the local cycling club has suspended all organized evening activities until the local authorities actually do something to make it safer.  

i was out running on it last night in a "safer" section of it and went back out this morning when it was still dark and ran into an area known as the "sketchy" part of it; it was very creepy and so dark i couldn't see the path.  currently looking for CC options for running if im going to keep using the path through the winter when it is darker more often.

2013-09-19 6:22 PM

User image

Champion
NOVA - Ironic for an Endurance Athlete
200 lbs of twisted metal, IM Finisher, martial arts novice and I take my vicious Springer Spaniel who will lick any attackers. Even with all of that, I always have my phone, reflective vest, and always aware and vigilant.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Do you feel secure running alone at night? Rss Feed  

of 3