General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Crazy Experiences During Running? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2012-11-23 11:19 AM
in reply to: #4506535

User image

Pro
Subject: RE: Crazy Experiences During Running?

I was chased by a big male Javelina last week.  (looks like an ugly 80lb wild boar).  Normally, they're docile creatures, vegetarians and live in large family groups.  He must have been protecting his family.  My brave dog took off and left me as fodder

2012-11-23 11:58 AM

User image

Regular
Napoleon

Out here in the stix...going for a morning run I have run upon deer, racoons, opossum & tons of squirrels and wood jimmies.  And have had a ton of people blow grass out the side of their riding mowers while I am running. 

Was on a group ride a few years ago in the middle of no-where and a manure-spredder tuned in front of us...It only took our group about a half mile to get up to speed as pass that farmer at about 24 mph...darn was that hard to breath.

On a race one time I had to lock up my brakes as I came over a rise and was face to face with a 5 foot tall doe...that got the juices flowing again.

2012-11-23 1:28 PM
in reply to: #4507916

User image

Payson, AZ
morey000 - 2012-11-23 10:19 AM

I was chased by a big male Javelina last week.  (looks like an ugly 80lb wild boar).  Normally, they're docile creatures, vegetarians and live in large family groups.  He must have been protecting his family.  My brave dog took off and left me as fodder

I'll loan you my dog.  I got chased a while back (family for sure, I could see the young ones) and my dumb dog tried to go after it.  I literally just hauled him through the brush.  Thankfully not as many cactus up here so no damage to the dog

2012-11-23 2:45 PM

Aside from the usual dog and rude people encounter, I have had a couple of wildlife encounters.  One was an aligator when I was running in a downpour.  He was little so it wasn't too scary.  

The other was very scary.  I was on a trail in Michigan at dusk.  I came down a hill and surprised a large black bear.  There was a little lag time while my brain bargained with my senses.  "Branches breaking."  "Deer?"  "Too big for a deer."  "Branches breaking and it's growling!"  "dog?  please?"  "Oh crap."  I froze and after I was not immediately eaten, I started moving off very slowly.  It let me go, but I think I lost ten years off my life.  A friend of mine immediately sent me a link to a t-shirt that reads "Bears Will Eat You."

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Crazy Experiences During Running? Rss Feed  

of 2