World Triathlon Corporation
23C / 73F
Sunny
Total Time = 5h 51m 32s
Overall Rank = 637/1096
Age Group = M 45-49
Age Group Rank = 64/101
Pre-race routine:

Drove up Saturday morning, checked in, watched a work mate's son swim in the afternoon 1.5k lake swim. Early night after a lovely bowl of pasta in town.
Up at 4:45, brekkie, drove to the site, got the bike all sorted out. No drama's at all.
Event warmup:

Walked round the lake to the start - realised I should have swapped out the clear goggles for shaded ones due to the low sun, but too late for that. Had a 50m swim warmup, nothing decent, but oh well.
Swim
  • 36m 16s
  • 1900 meters
  • 01m 55s / 100 meters
Comments:

We set off 10 minutes after the pros.
Got a good start, nice slow strokes, making good progress. Swam next to somebody so no need to sight. The water was so murky you couldn't see your hand.
Rounded the first bouy, now swimming into the sun, couldn't see a thing now either above or below water! Kept swimming next to my new friend who knew how to swim straight! More than I can.
Then.... disaster. More or less race over. One of the pro's (had to be one of the top 2 looking at times) about to finish, swam straight over the top of me, and after I gave him a bit of a kick to let him know I was there, his stroke smashed right onto the garmin. I knew instantly it was gone! I now had no idea as to how I was going to pace anything, as I do most of my training by HR. Carried on in the swim for now, just chugged on round. Was a decent swim really for me.
Last bit was a bit boring but got out, no idea of time, headed off to T1.
What would you do differently?:

Not wear my garmin on the swim. Or lose it.
Wear smoky goggles
Warm up by swimming across the lake.
Transition 1
  • 02m 52s
Comments:

Wetsuit stuck again. Time for a new one!

Buy a new wettie
Bike
  • 2h 53m 31s
  • 90.1 kms
  • 31.16 km/hr
Comments:

Didn't realise how tough this bike was until I'd got to the end of the first long strainght sand realised that the nice pace I'd been keeping up was due to a strong tailwind. The other 3 legs were all cross or headwinds, and combined with not very smooth roads, made for a tough day.
Saying that though, this was probably one of my best rides, having no Garmin and just pushing through. Eat and drank when I felt like it.
Pretty much even split both laps which is a first for me, normally I drop off on the second lap, so must finally be getting stronger.
The early start wandering round in bare feet plus the cold swim and now the wind on the bike gave me numb toes which was a shock when I started taking my feet out for the finish and could hardly feel the shoes!

Maybe not push so hard.

Transition 2
  • 01m 38s
Comments:

A great T2!!
Heard Tammie yelling at me, waved back, then saw my wife, waved at her, introduced her to Tammie, and still got in and out of T2 in 1:38! And I put socks on.
Maybe I could just go for the T2 championship if I have no socks or distractions :)

Nothing
Run
  • 2h 17m 12s
  • 21.1 kms
  • 06m 30s  min/km
Comments:

This is where it all fell apart, and I basically gave in. The run leg is my weakest and I need the garmin to keep focused.
Half way round the first lap I had nothing in my legs, so told myself I had pushed too hard on the bike. Had a pee stop, took a gel, plenty of water and slowed right down. Unknowingly, the first lap was still, even with all this lot going on, a pretty good pace for me, but I didn't know and just gave in. Ran past Jo a couple of times, but she didn't recognise me! Hat, sunnies and lycra might have had something to do with it!
Walked, jogged the last two laps at a stupid stupid slow pace that I'm pretty embarrased about now. The gel I took went right through me, so I took no more nutrition either which didn't help.
Poor effort.

Post race
Warm down:

Lots of fruit, lots of ice cream.
Sat and watched the awards. Was tempted to attempt and get a rolldown for Vegas, as hardly anybody wanted it, but decided after the performance I'd just put in, I didn't deserver it. Next 70.3 I do though, I might be tempted.... :)

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Head.

Event comments:

Stunning organisation.
Awesome vollies.
Hate 3 lap run courses, but might have to come back to get my self-respect back.
Off to race the sprint this weekend.......

Last updated: 2012-01-30 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:36:16 | 1900 meters | 01m 55s / 100meters
Age Group: 40/101
Overall: 402/1096
Performance: Average
Suit: Zoot
Course: 1.5 laps round a murky lake
Start type: Deep Water Plus: Waves
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Average
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 02:52
Performance:
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
02:53:31 | 90.1 kms | 31.16 km/hr
Age Group: 55/101
Overall: 515/1096
Performance: Good
Wind: Strong with gusts
Course: 2 laps of a rectangular course
Road: Rough Dry Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 01:38
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Average
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
02:17:12 | 21.1 kms | 06m 30s  min/km
Age Group: 79/101
Overall: 773/1096
Performance: Bad
Course: 3 laps, setting off round the lake then up a path and back
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Bad
Mental exertion [1-5] 1
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? No
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2012-11-22 3:42 PM

User image

Veteran
Melbourne
Subject: Ironman 70.3 Shepparton

2012-11-25 2:34 AM
in reply to: #4507384

User image

Expert
Eltham North, Victoria
Subject: RE: Ironman 70.3 Shepparton
Distraction....hurumph....:-)See you there next year. I have a bone to pick with that race too.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Ironman 70.3 Shepparton Rss Feed