Naperville Noon Lions Club
45F / 7C
Sunny
Total Time = 29m 40s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Got up at 6:30, I was kind of hungover after having champagne last night. I popped a few Tylenol, stopped @ Dunkin Donuts for some coffee and did the 4 minute drive to downtown Naperville.
Event warmup:

Intentionally parked about a mile from the start line. Wanted to get the blood flowing ASAP. Surprised by how warm out it was, I checked my jacket. Warm up was about 1/2 mile of easy run with some tempo pacing thrown in. Stretched once warmed up and seeded myself in the 9 minute/mile pace group.
Run
  • 29m 40s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 09m 32s  min/mile
Comments:

Typical neighborhood 5K, with 7500 people. I am about a 9 min pace in a 5K, so I should have probably moved up to the 8 minute pace. As with all of these 5Ks, there were a lot of people who had no idea what they were doing. Spent a lot of time idling behind slow pokes, dodging walkers, etc. I felt pretty effortless the entire time. My avg HR was only 135(!!!!) so I was hardly pushing hard today. Really decided to kick in the speed in the last 1/2 mile, but it was far too late to make up time lost. Still had a fun time- this was a tune-up for the Schaumburg 13.1 on Saturday. I didn't really expect to do much in this other than have fun, and I did.
What would you do differently?:

Move up to the front of the pack. I could have easily gone under 27:00 if I could have maintained my preferred pace.
Post race
Warm down:

2 bananas and a bottle of water. Jogged back to my car and debated going to swim at Lifetime. I opted to go back to bed for a while and sleep my hangover off :)

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Crowds.

Event comments:

I'm only writing a race report for a 5K so that people in the Lisle/Aurora/Naperville area have some info about this race. It's a lot of fun, it's a good charity, and it makes you feel less guilty about stuffing yourself later.

Last updated: 2012-11-01 12:00 AM
Running
00:29:40 | 03.11 miles | 09m 32s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Good
Course: Start on Hillside Ave, down to West, then up Naperville-Plainfield Rd, back to Central HS. Flat as a pancake.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes