General Discussion Triathlon Talk » How many folks actually stick wtih doing triathlons? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2012-11-26 11:39 AM
in reply to: #4508623

User image

Champion
Calgary
Subject: RE: How many folks actually stick wtih doing triathlons?
I lasted from August 2007 to August 2009. So 2 years. I'll get back there someday.

2012-11-26 11:43 AM

Iron Donkey
, Wisconsin
Began training in '06 but take family sabbaticals to keep BALANCE.
2012-11-26 11:52 AM
in reply to: #4510237

User image

Lethbridge, Alberta
Bronze member
Tom Demerly. - 2012-11-26 10:18 AM

With respect and understanding, I personally don't accept the "my body can't take the pounding" argument.

I've had a ton of injuries from accidents not related to sport so I have the benefit of some new "parts" including an appliance inside my heart, a lot of knee hardware and surgery, etc.

One thing I have done is shift my training to include a fair bit of strength training to help stabilize joints like my kness. The stronger the musculature surrounding joints the more stable they remain. I also pick my battles well over the last few years, doing a lot of frequent short runs of about 4-6 miles and almost no runs over 10 miles. There are times I will run twice a day though, and I also substitute running on the Stairmaster (no footstrike) for road runs.

As we get older I don't think we can train exclusively for endurance sports. I think we also have to "maintenance" train just to keep our body strong and stable enough for doing the training so we can do the racing. So, we have to "train to train" if that makes any sense.

The benefit is we are more injury resistant (I think...) and look and feel better as we age. My experience is that if you are an endurance athlete as soon as you stop you can expect a pretty quick onset of problems from joint pain to weight gain to everything else associated with over 50 ages (I'm 51). It's better to just keep moving.

I agree that consistency is important. At 55 I've been doing tri's for seven or eight years now, with at a half IM every year for six years, a couple of IM's, and some shorter events scattered throughout. Over the last few years there have been some life issues to deal with and I let the training slip too much, then tried to come back too quick. I'm trying to heal some plantar fasciitis now and have been struggling with it for a while. This fall, for the first time in six years, I'm not signing up for anything next year, at least until I can start running again. Consistency is critical as you get older. Ya just don't bounce back like you were used too before.
2012-11-26 12:03 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Southeast Michigan

I raced for 3 years, then decided to take this past year off.  I still run just as much as I did when racing and now lift more weights again (as I had done pre-tri days).  I also plan to hook the bike trainer back up again this winter for more variety.  This all keeps me in sufficient shape without having to feel like I need to be race ready and avoids the time suck of getting to places to do swim and/or bike training.

Like others, for me, it became a matter of time and money.  My boys are at that age (7, 8, and almost 11) where they are very busy with their own activities and very dependent on me (or my wife) to get them to them and/or participate (coaching, etc).  I probably had more time when they were toddlers actually.  So though it's possible to fit all that in with a tri training schedule, it became more of a pain that I cared for, even though my longest race was an Oly.  So I scaled that back.  I also diverted funds that had been going toward a fitness club membership to some of my oldest son's athletic endeavors.  Without the club membership regular access to a pool is much harder.  No swimming = no triathlon.

Every now and then I feel the itch to get back into it, and it occasionally leads me back to these boards like today.  I imagine that I will get back into it again in the near future.  Perhaps as soon as next year, or maybe a few more years down the line.

2012-11-26 12:05 PM
in reply to: #4510237

User image

Master
Livonia, MI
Tom Demerly. - 2012-11-26 12:18 PM

With respect and understanding, I personally don't accept the "my body can't take the pounding" argument.

I've had a ton of injuries from accidents not related to sport so I have the benefit of some new "parts" including an appliance inside my heart, a lot of knee hardware and surgery, etc.

One thing I have done is shift my training to include a fair bit of strength training to help stabilize joints like my kness. The stronger the musculature surrounding joints the more stable they remain. I also pick my battles well over the last few years, doing a lot of frequent short runs of about 4-6 miles and almost no runs over 10 miles. There are times I will run twice a day though, and I also substitute running on the Stairmaster (no footstrike) for road runs.

As we get older I don't think we can train exclusively for endurance sports. I think we also have to "maintenance" train just to keep our body strong and stable enough for doing the training so we can do the racing. So, we have to "train to train" if that makes any sense.

The benefit is we are more injury resistant (I think...) and look and feel better as we age. My experience is that if you are an endurance athlete as soon as you stop you can expect a pretty quick onset of problems from joint pain to weight gain to everything else associated with over 50 ages (I'm 51). It's better to just keep moving.

Interesting perspective but I'll give you a different one: injuries/surgeries and all, you may actually be among the genetically lucky (plus likely better than average smarts on dealing with said injuries and injury prevention) and that is a big part of why you can keep doing this age 50+.

I've been in the fitness industry for about 20 years.  More than half the people I trained with 20 years ago who are now in their 40's, 50's and 60's have very distinct limiting injuries that prevent them from doing even a few hours a week of running or biking.  We have all been training together for years both in the sport of triathlon and running, as well as just general fitness.  From what I see as a professional, the body over time with intense exercise is more likely to break down than not.  The harder these people trained in their 20's and 30's, the more they're complaining about overuse injury and issues now.

It really makes no sense for most of them physically to do even the minimum amount needed to really work a sprint tri program.  They are maintaining by doing things much gentler than riding 50+ miles a week or running 10+.  They maintain by doing little to no jumping/hopping motion type exercises so running is totally out.  Others cannot ride in an aero type position several times a week due to various back, neck and knee issues.

These people are staying fit with pilates, yoga, functional weight training, non-impact classes that elevate the heart rate without hopping/jumping and maybe some swimming.  You can set new goals for yourself without those goals being tied to racing or competing.  You can also find new fitness related passions instead of continuing to pursue the old ones that keep landing you in the doctor's office or on the operating table year after year.

Triathlon is just not a feasible goal for everyone.  Some people find that actively preserving their joints, cartiledge, functionality, etc is just more important than any other fitness or race related goal.  It doesn't mean they're letting injuries prevent them from staying healthy and active, but to say their "bodies can't take the pounding" is pretty legitimate.

2012-11-26 1:21 PM

User image

Master
Grand Prairie

I never cared for physical exercise.

I have never been good at it.

IT has been my thing for a while, then motorcycles (sport bikes) and cars (working on them), then partying, video games, golf...

I pretty much dropped motorcycles, cars and IT as a hobby. I have maybe 6 beers a month! and don't recall last time I was out for a bar/club. I play golf ever once in a while. I loved golf, but once I got worse despite further playing and the fact that I could not get better just frustrated me too much.

Though I still play video games.

But since I started working out in 2011, I have lost weight and gotten into better health condition.

I am a different person now. Think more environmentally conscious and try to be in balance with myself, the people close to me and everything else.

I wrapped up my first multisport season and just hired a (fantastic) coach to help me with my goal of finishing the 70.3 Austin in October 2013.

After that I am considering to do a IM in 2014. At this point then I should decide how much I like triathlon, what distance I like etc.

As many said, triathlon is a hobby. Some people stick with a hobby for ever, some go from one to another and some just haven't found their lifetime hobby.

Is tri'ing my lifetime hobby? Maybe, but for now it is my favorite hobby.

2012-11-26 2:11 PM

User image

Veteran
Northern Illinois

I competed in my first Triathlon back in 1988. Started a family and was completely out of the sport for 19 years. Came back to it after my sons were no longer in athletics and have been going strong for the past 5 years. There are times that I wish I wouldn't have ever stopped, but I try not to dwell on that and focus on what I can do now. I hope to be able to still compete for many more years.

This hobby can be very time consuming and physically demanding so I can understand people coming and going from it.

2012-11-26 6:59 PM

I started later in life. After being active for the first part, kids, family, career and the next thing you know your 50ish. It goes quick. I'm doing it now. Lost a lot of middle age weight. I love the feeling of being back in shape. The soreness and the pain are a companion. Its a trade-off between the pain of being a fat middle age man and the pain of training. I'll do this until I can't. My kids have grown up and moved on. I just want to live completely and fully every day of my life and Tri training helps me do that. After all these years I finally realized that having goals and working toward them is what makes me happy. I want to run an HIM and then stay with sprints, ride my bike and run when I can.
2012-11-26 7:25 PM

User image

Expert
Plano, National Capital Region

People go gung-ho into it and realize that the level of commitment/time they put it into it is not sustainable over the long term.  Those who keep doing it integrate it into their lifestyle at a level that can be kept up as part of normal living and do it because it's part of what they always do - kinda like brushing your teeth,  taking showers, eating, etc.

2012-11-26 8:06 PM
in reply to: #4510346

User image

Pro
Parker, CO
noelle1230 - 2012-11-26 11:05 AM
Tom Demerly. - 2012-11-26 12:18 PM

Interesting perspective but I'll give you a different one: injuries/surgeries and all, you may actually be among the genetically lucky (plus likely better than average smarts on dealing with said injuries and injury prevention) and that is a big part of why you can keep doing this age 50+.

I've been in the fitness industry for about 20 years.  More than half the people I trained with 20 years ago who are now in their 40's, 50's and 60's have very distinct limiting injuries that prevent them from doing even a few hours a week of running or biking.  We have all been training together for years both in the sport of triathlon and running, as well as just general fitness.  From what I see as a professional, the body over time with intense exercise is more likely to break down than not.  The harder these people trained in their 20's and 30's, the more they're complaining about overuse injury and issues now.

It really makes no sense for most of them physically to do even the minimum amount needed to really work a sprint tri program.  They are maintaining by doing things much gentler than riding 50+ miles a week or running 10+.  They maintain by doing little to no jumping/hopping motion type exercises so running is totally out.  Others cannot ride in an aero type position several times a week due to various back, neck and knee issues.

These people are staying fit with pilates, yoga, functional weight training, non-impact classes that elevate the heart rate without hopping/jumping and maybe some swimming.  You can set new goals for yourself without those goals being tied to racing or competing.  You can also find new fitness related passions instead of continuing to pursue the old ones that keep landing you in the doctor's office or on the operating table year after year.

Triathlon is just not a feasible goal for everyone.  Some people find that actively preserving their joints, cartiledge, functionality, etc is just more important than any other fitness or race related goal.  It doesn't mean they're letting injuries prevent them from staying healthy and active, but to say their "bodies can't take the pounding" is pretty legitimate.

I was going to respond to Tom's post but I read yours and agree with all you have said. After 20 plus years of pounding pavement there are guys/gals that their bodies just are not going to allow them to continue running into their 50s and beyond. I suppose I could debate this with some old running buddies that no longer run. But I know how hard they trained and raced when they were younger. There is no reason for me do question them if they say their body has had enough.
2012-11-27 5:45 AM
in reply to: #4510941

User image

Champion
Sarasota, FL

rayd - 2012-11-26 9:06 PM ]I was going to respond to Tom's post but I read yours and agree with all you have said. After 20 plus years of pounding pavement there are guys/gals that their bodies just are not going to allow them to continue running into their 50s and beyond. I suppose I could debate this with some old running buddies that no longer run. But I know how hard they trained and raced when they were younger. There is no reason for me do question them if they say their body has had enough.

I think I'm somewhat lucky in that I didn't start endurance training until age 50.  I was always active prior to that with school sports, and then tennis and weightlifting for many years, but really never did any endurance stuff.  Ironically I can't  play tennis any longer because of chronic elbow overuse injury and Achilles tendonosis.

I have friends who were once accomplished runners who now can't run at all now due to hip and knee problems - their bodies broke down from the years of pounding.

Tom Demerly alluded to modifying your training as you age.  Joe Friel says basically the same thing, that as you age you need to trade volume for intensity and allow yourself more recovery time as needed.  At the same time, I find that consistency is a key for me.  If I take even a week off, I feel like I'm starting over when I get out and train again.

Mark 

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » How many folks actually stick wtih doing triathlons? Rss Feed  

of 2