General Discussion Race Reports! » Phoniexville Jaycees Burn off the Bird 5K Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Phoniexville Jaycees Burn off the Bird 5K - Run5k

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Phoniexville, Pennsylvania
United States
Phoniexville Jaycees
38F / 3C
Sunny
Total Time = 21m 33s
Overall Rank = 10/216
Age Group = M40-49
Age Group Rank = 1/24
Pre-race routine:

Love running races! 9:00am start, woke up at 7:30am, got dress and grabbed a green tea for breakfast, drove to Phoenixville and parked in Franklin Commons. Walked around to the other side and regestered and even got a shirt this year. Walked back to the car and chilled (actually heated) a bit then got my number on and changed shoes and figured out how to secure my key on my Iso Transitions. Ditched the sweats and decided I didn't need gloves.
Event warmup:

Walked back thru Franlin Commons, used the bathroom then found the start and jogged the course backwards down Grant , down and around to Franklin then turned around and back to the finish line then around the corner to the start. Found a spot off the starting line then we were all ushered back a bit. Then the Athlete's closet guy seeded folks inviting any 21:00 people to the front of the line and then everyone lined up honestly.
Run
  • 21m 33s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 06m 56s  min/mile
Comments:

I was pretty warm until I found my spot and the wind cut into me. Brrr! We did self seed pretty well and I was a few rows back in the middle. The first turn cam up very quickly after the start around the backside of the Franklin Common's building and there were two very poor patches of road in the middle and on the inside of the turn, but everyone was carefull and we got through it clean. A quick jog now Grant and then left onto Scuylkill Trail and up the hill right into the teeth of the wind. Had a few people pass me on that stretch as I tried to fall into a good rhythm. At the topp of the hill we turned out of the wind onto a slight downhill and I finally found a good groove and started moving forward. Really got rolling on the short downhill and then cruised into the uphill. Got past a small group of folks as we turned onto Township line right at the 1 mile mark and up the next hill. But again when I got to the top I surged over the top and went after the downhill and ran down 3 guys who eased up at the top. I believe 2 of these guys were the 2nd and 3rd place finishers in my AG. I heard one try and latch onto me but I started pushing the pace and opened up a little gap by the turn. Mowere was the long hill with a steep patch in the middle then into a long gradual uphill onto St Mary's. Ran down a guy in a blue top and then set sail after another guy in a blue race tshirt. He kept looking back which fueled me to push harder to catch him. Reeled him in about 30 yards and caught him as we came back onto Grant. He told me good race as I passed him but we passed the 3 mile mark on the road right there (never saw the 2 mile mark (on Mowere hill when most of us were on the other side of the road) and he sprant home passing me. I did ease up a bit over the last stretch since my hammy twinged a bit and he was clearly faster than me.

Ended up 10th place overall and first in my AG just ahead of 2nd and 3rd who finished 11th and 13th just 10 seconds back.
What would you do differently?:

Good run. Was 50 seconds faster than 2010 (They didn't hold the race last year) and 8 spots better. Tougher conditions with the wind and cold compared to 2010 too. Plus I was able to defend my AG title in a race for the first time. Happy with my perfromance. Might have started harder and stayed with Lorriane vice having to chase her.
Post race
Warm down:

Congratulated the guy who outsprinted me and his brother who finished 4th. then went for another trip around the course as a coooldown. Finally saw the 2 mile mark on the road. Caught up to the last two walkers and cheered them in!

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Wind and hills didn't quite make this a PR course, but still a pretty good run. Could have gone after it more early.

Event comments:

Good race. Not a ton of volunteers but the one that were there were good. Cold and windy day so didn't need any water. Should have had the vendor fair and post race in the Commons vice in Stepping Stone which was very small. But some decent food and won a door prize (Road ID) and a month's membership at a Gym at the Common's as well.

Profile Album

Last updated: 2012-11-24 12:00 AM
Running
00:21:33 | 03.11 miles | 06m 56s  min/mile
Age Group: 1/24
Overall: 10/216
Performance: Good
Course: A single loop down starting around a nasty corner to Grant, to Scuylkill trail road and a small hill turn onto Filmore (which became Scuyhkill Trail again later) up a few hills and past the cemataries, to Townshipline road and another good up hill and a long downhill to Mowere/High St and a long hill to mile 2 mark, then down St Mary's/Penn St to South (little hill) and onto Grant (slight uphill to finish at Franklin Commons.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2012-11-24 3:47 PM

User image

Master
Royersford, PA
Subject: Phoniexville Jaycees Burn off the Bird 5K
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Phoniexville Jaycees Burn off the Bird 5K Rss Feed