General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Stupid Strength Training Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2012-11-25 8:05 AM

User image

Elite
SE
Subject: Stupid Strength Training

Some of you I have chatted with are big proponents of strength training. I've been a 3-4x/week guy early in my tri career and each year I have done less and less. I will be lucky to break 15-20 hours total this year. For those of you who do strength, what exercises do you find most functional in terms of triathlon specific strength?

Don't get me started on stretching yet. Let's leave that for another thread down the road.

2012-11-25 8:57 AM
in reply to: #4509114

User image

Master
Subject: RE: Stupid Strength Training
Push-ups. A stronger core makes running less taxing for me.
2012-11-26 2:18 PM

User image

Elite
Roswell, GA

I think you have to define strength training a bit.  Traditional "pumping iron" so you have big arms and pecs really doesn't help.  Working the core helps a ton.  I did some core stuff two winters ago, but dropped it last winter, and I could tell a difference.  Here is where I noticed the difference:

swim: holding proper position.  my back and neck ached for the first 6 weeks after getting back in the pool.

Bike: holding aero.

Run:  I didn't notice much, but sometimes on really long runs my bicep would get sore from holding the water bottle.  Stop laughing.

Anyone have a great core routine?  I need a new one.

2012-11-26 9:18 PM

User image

Elite
Whispering Pines, North Carolina

I'm with Doug...

Bulk up and you'll be cursing yourself on the hills and the run.

Strategically strengthen your body (primarily core) and I think you have a good recipe for success. More and more triathletes, pro and AG, seem to be advocating the benefits of ST rather than sole SBR training.

I'll be ST this winter so that I look better in low rise tri shorts...and NO other reason.

2012-11-27 8:25 AM

User image

Regular
Smyrna (ATL)

I agree with the core training and benefits. I lift pretty hard in the gym and its always a balance with swimming so that I am not overdoing it on my shoulders. I think the upper body training is important so that you can better maintain form on the run and not slouch as you get tired and/or start crossing over. I carry a lot of lean mass by preference, but can see where that limits me to some extent carrying the extra weight (205 with 8% bodyfat). IMOP, a good upper body circuit can only help a triathlete; consisting of high reps with limited rest between sets. In a training cycle, I do upper body circuits twice a week and get it done within 50 minutes and one leg workout per week.

One thing that I noticed that helped me was more functional lower body training. Specifically using TRX and resistance bands in addition to free weight exercises like squats. The monster walks with resistance bands (6 different exercises) really helped strengthen my hips and glutes. I just started tris last year and biking in April. I noticed a big difference by the time Augusta came around.

Edited by sramaley 2012-11-27 8:26 AM
2012-12-10 9:56 AM

User image

I can see working some crossfit or TRX in as being pretty beneficial. I've started somewhat of a total body circuit 2 days/week that takes about 45 minutes with minimal rest between sets. Essentially enough to move from one thing to the next. A great workout my brother in law introduced me to is the 5, 10, 15 workout. 5-pull ups, 10 pushups, 15 air squats. 20 minutes as many sets as you can. I can only get 12 and that was actually 20:43 but I wasn't about to not finish the last set! I felt like puking when I was done! Could be cause I'm a slacker though!!

2012-12-10 2:59 PM

User image

Master
Atlanta, GA
Phat - I think Strength Training for Triathletes by Patrick Hagerman is a great book.  They run you through some questions then you tailor the program to your strengths and weaknesses.   I found the book to be very straight forward and the self developed program very effective.
2012-12-10 3:19 PM

User image

Elite
SE

Its phunny this thread gets upped again. When I wrote it I just about had written off strength, agility, balance, coordination stuff, but with some extra time on my hands, another coaching clinic in my pocket where they drill you with the need for the aforementioned, and a willing IM trainer I've got back to it a bit and am digging these functional tri exercises he set me up with. He shortened the session/circuit up and gave me a whole different approach and, guess what, I am phriggin sore. BUT it's been nice. At the same time, I am not sure it will make me faster.

Curiously, P90x is a discussion thread on the USAT coaching listserv and the recent trend is against it if you want to get faster but for it if you want more definition, strength, and a change up.

2012-12-10 3:48 PM

User image

Alpharetta, GA

I love push ups and plank and all the variations of them.  I also enjoy squats, lunges and wall squats.

I do not strength train because I want to get better at triathlon.  I do it because I am 43 and don't want to lose muscle mass or bone density.  And it makes me feel and look damn good compared to if I just S/B/R.  The older one gets the less aerobic activity will result in toned muscles alone.

Strength training is the fountain of youth.  I will always do it, I don't give a care about what it does for triathlon, I care about how it makes me look and feel and the resulting health benefits.

I do focus mostly on low weights/high reps all during tri season though.  But low weight/high rep or max weight low rep, I love it all.

Andi

Edited by Anditrigirl 2012-12-10 3:49 PM
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Stupid Strength Training Rss Feed