General Discussion Race Reports! » Schaumburg Turkey Trot Half Marathon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Schaumburg Turkey Trot Half Marathon - RunHalf Marathon

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Schaumburg, Illinois
United States
All Community Events
30F / -1C
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 50m 30s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Woke up at 6, since the start time was a lovely, acceptable 9:15am. Ate a big bowl of Cinnamon Toast Crunch and drank some G2 Gatorade and my usual morning iced coffee.
Event warmup:

Ha, warmup. More like trying to keep from shivering to death! So the air temp was 30 but the wind chill was more like 20 and I am not used to running in weather like that at all. Fortunately, Chris came with me to spectate so I was able to keep my giant toasty igloo parka with me basically until the last second when I took it off, gave it to him and started running.
Run
  • 2h 50m 30s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 13m 01s  min/mile
Comments:

Mile 2: Chucked my throwaway shirt.
Mile 2.2: Realized I had to use the porta potty at the very first aid station which was annoying, but I wanted to be comfortable during the race and wasn't trying to PR or anything.

Mile 3: Ahhh. My feet and hands are FINALLY warm again.

Mile 6: Took a gel and started feeling a nagging pain in my left knee, like your run of the mill IT band thing. This usually happens on runs longer than 1 hour for me. More annoying than anything at this point. Got to appreciate the craftmanship of a truly masterful crocheted turkey hat.

Mile 9: Things slid downhill. I realized my hands had turned back into ice blocks, and with my medical condition, this is like an all-consuming pain as all blood leaves my hands and my body struggles to force bloodflow back down there. My water bottle that I brought with me must have started leaking onto my doubled-up cheap stretchy gloves from Target and the cold water just soaked in, but I didn't realize this for a while so didn't take off the gloves for fear of my hands getting even colder.

So, partly in tears because of the pain in my hands and frustration of my knee really starting to seize up at this point, I started walking and tried to warm up my hands on my body, wondering how on earth I was going to last another hour in this state. And then I saw Chris! It's like he *knew* I needed to see a friendly face at that point. He jogged along side me in the grass for about a mile, and I took my wet gloves off, handed him my water bottle and he gave me his giant brown gloves to finish the race in. As soon as I put them on, it felt like heaven and even though my knee was still hurting, that was the mental boost I needed. A photog was stationed right there and captured a pic of the two of us. I'm sure I'll look terrible in that pic, with a weird gait from the knee thing happening and giant man gloves, but I'm pretty sure I'll buy it because it meant everything to have him there at that moment, when I was ready to bag the race and seek shelter on the warm shuttle bus.
What would you do differently?:

Buy real waterproof running gloves to go over my trusty cheap Target stretchy gloves. NOT carry a water bottle in freezing cold weather. I was just nervous to ditch it after I had done all of my long runs with it - I wanted to stick to "nothing new on race day" and I got stuck with ice blocks for hands instead.
Post race
Warm down:

I finished as "Born to Run" was playing and saw Chris mouthing and pantomiming the lyrics and cracked up. So at least my finish line photo will be of me smiling, haha.

Stretched as well as I could on a picnic bench, ate a couple bananas and some pretzels, and took some photos

What limited your ability to perform faster:

The mental challenge of my hands around mile 9 really slowed me down for a while and took a lot of gas out of me just from dealing with the pain. The IT pain in my knee forced me to walk about half of the final 5K. Since the 10-miler had gone so well a couple of weeks ago, I didn't think adding the extra 3.1 would be *that* much more difficult, but it's interesting to see just how different your experience can be if you tweak a couple of other factors.

Event comments:

This was a small, very well organized race. Seemed perfectly supported, I liked that the 5K start and finish was held in a completely different location than the half to avoid congestion, and plenty of nice warm shuttle buses awaited us at the finish. Chris was able to get around handily on the shuttle buses as well. If I wasn't so cold and ready for a hot shower, I would have grabbed a free massage.

Profile Album

Last updated: 2012-10-16 12:00 AM
Running
02:50:30 | 13.1 miles | 13m 01s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Below average
Course: Very nice wind-y course through the Busse Woods forest preserve. A couple of odd spots where there were out and backs for 2 miles at 4-5 and the last 5K was an out and back. Which sucked, because I could clearly see the finish and still had another 5K to go. Around mile 7 there was a fenced in, veterinary-supervised elk pasture. Their antlers were huge! They were all just laying down, chilling and looking at us like "why are all you people running?"
Keeping cool Good Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2012-11-25 9:05 AM

User image

Subject: Schaumburg Turkey Trot Half Marathon

2012-11-25 2:29 PM
in reply to: #4509152

User image

Master
Straight outta Compton
Subject: RE: Schaumburg Turkey Trot Half Marathon

lizohal - 2012-11-25 8:05 AM

Way to tough it out!  I didn't know what you looked like or I would have said hi.  Seeing that picture I remember seeing you out there (I'm the tall guy in the New Skin gear).  Congratulations on finishing despite some adverse things to happen.

2012-11-26 10:08 AM
in reply to: #4509152

User image

Veteran
Chicago
Subject: RE: Schaumburg Turkey Trot Half Marathon
Congrats on your first half marathon! Can't wait to see the pics with the huge gloves! I'm glad Chris was able to spectate/sherpa. Proud of you!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Schaumburg Turkey Trot Half Marathon Rss Feed