United States
80F / 27C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 26m 53s
Overall Rank = 57/220
Age Group = 45-49
Age Group Rank = 2/7
Pre-race routine:

Got up about 4:45 and started getting ready to go. Got things organized - sort of -- took longer than I expected to get going. Dave (runningfoo) picked me up about 5:20 and away we went. Met up with brappleye3 (billy) and got T-zones set up. Took care of body marking and chip pickup and tried to get relaxed. I was never not relaxed, but I just didn't feel I had it together this morning. Kept feeling like I was forgetting something or didn't do something I needed to. Was weird. Never really settled down before the race which bugged me. Fotunately, once the race started I was able to relax and enjoy the race.
Event warmup:

Race was done in 3 waves -- Olympic, Men's Sprint, and Women's Sprint. Got the wetsuit on, and went into the lake to get the water layer. After the first (Olympic) wave went off, we had about 5 minutes before the Men's Sprint wave started, so I swam about 100 yards or so to loosen up.

Swim
  • 20m 35s
  • 820 yards
  • 02m 31s / 100 yards
Comments:

This race was a little on the long side. I started to close to the middle of the pack though I think (not really planned that way, just happened), and so got caught up in the traffic a bit. Wasn't a big problem, just in thicker traffic than I have been in the past.

Started stroking out, felt like I was sighting much better today than I have in other races, and I was really comfortable overall in the swim. I felt like I was moving well, and continued passing swimmers (and getting passed some) and having a great time.

Overall, very pleased with the swim generally, but I wish I had a better feel for the actual distance. First place swimmer was at 1:59/100 pace which would be slow generally speaking for this distance. I'll be interested to see my swim ranking when it is posted.

What would you do differently?:

Swim Faster. I was generally very pleased with my swim today. Maybe swim in a little closer to the shore before standing up.
Transition 1
  • 02m 19s
Comments:

This transition went ok. Did a good job stripping my suit to my waist while coming out of the water. They had strippers on the shore, but I opted to run into transition to take the suit the rest of the way off, since I really didn't know the "stripping" drill. This may have slowed my transition slightly.

Still having problems getting bike shoes on quickly, but until I can break down and buy another pair I'll just have to live with it.

Learn to jump start on my bike. Learn to get the transitions smoother. Need to do some transition drills. That will save me much time in the long run.
Bike
  • 37m 36s
  • 12.43 miles
  • 19.84 mile/hr
Comments:

Generally very pleased with my ride. Got passed a couple times by the young bucks, and 4 miles into the bike by the guy who ended up winning my AG (Ouch) but that's ok -- I passed at least 2 others in my AG on the bike, plus lots of other people. Waved at Billy and Dave who were in the early stages of thier run as I was coming into T2. (Yes -- Billy did beat me today!) Got behind some dumb driver in an SUV about 8 miles in who was driving right down the middle of the bike pack. Policeman was doing his best to get her out of bike traffic, but he wasn't very successful. Had to slow downto about 14 MPH while trying to safely get around her! UGH. That said, the police/race people did a great job of keeping cars off of the course and out of participants way.

Pace officially was 19.8 MPH and 12.4 miles, but my Garmin calculated the race course at 13 miles, which translates to 20.81 MPH. My Garmin time and official time were only 6 seconds different

Go faster. Learn the break point that would allow me to push harder on the bike yet still reserve some energy for the run. I was also generally very pleased with the bike.
Transition 2
  • 01m 55s
Comments:

This transition went really well, UNTIL I starteed to run out of T2.. As I started running away from my bike, I felt a nasty pain in between my toes on my right foot. Could tell I'd somehow picked up a small rock coming out of the lake. Debated on toughing it out and going, or stopping for a few seconds and getting it out. The latter prevailed. Stopped about 15 yards from my bike, untied the shoe (Still no Yankz), took off the sock, got the rock out, put the shoe BACK on, and got on my way. That cost me at least 30-45 seconds.

Before putting shoes on, MAKE SURE there are NO rocks in them!
Run
  • 24m 26s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 07m 52s  min/mile
Comments:

This run started out AWESOME for me. Got running out of transition, and felt really good. Made good progress early on, even though I was running on the grass. Then got out on the dike/service road, and it started to get hot. My pace started to slow and I felt the heat coming on pretty good. Passed Dave on his way back about 3/4 mile into the run, and Billy on his way back about halfway through. By the time I got to the turnaround, the sun was out in all it's glory and the temperature was at LEAST 82-85 degrees! The heat really started to affect my energy, and my pace slowed significantly! But on the upside, passed another AG'er at about 2.5 miles into the run and ended up beating him by about a minute! Moved me up a notch in the AG!(YES). Run was my worst event today, but I'm generally happy with it because I understand what happened.

Do some training in the heat. Learn to hydrate better. Learn to better push through heat induced fatigue. My pace dropped by 45 secs/mile between mile one and the end of the race. That's much to much pace dropoff I think
Post race
Warm down:

Walked it off, went back and soaked in the cool water of the lake for a few minutes (was cold without the wetsuit, but felt really good). Ate some oranges, bagels, and bananas. Met up with the others, and grabbed a hotdog that there were selling as fundraisers ( this was a seriously GOOD hotdog!) Hung around waiting for results to see how I did. Result: 2nd in AG, 52 in gender, 57 overall, 199 finishers. -- I'm pleased

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Heat toward the end. Three races in 3 weeks, limited taper.

Event comments:

Very well run race. Events started on time, staff/volunteers were VERY helpful. This is a good race. Course was great, venue was superb. Race benefitted firefighters, which is a worthy cause. It's a race I really really enjoyed. Complimented my skill level at this point very well. I'll do the race again.

Now, just so everyone knows -- brappleye3 did beat me today. I'm now chasing after him! (Although I knew at some point it would happen! :))
Had to bow to his greatness and magnaminity! Was great fun!

Last updated: 2006-04-27 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:20:35 | 820 yards | 02m 31s / 100yards
Age Group: 3/7
Overall: 79/220
Performance: Good
Suit: Rocket Science Full Sleeve
Course: Triangular course through the marina, out into the lake and then into the beach on the other side of a small jetty. Course was probably closer to 1000 meters than 750 meters though. Everybody was commenting about it. Times for all participants were slower than would be expected. But we all swam the same course so no problem I feel good about it.
Start type: Deep Water Plus: Waves
Water temp: 70F / 21C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Average Drafting: Average
Waves: Good Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 02:19
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
00:37:36 | 12.43 miles | 19.84 mile/hr
Age Group: 2/7
Overall: 71/220
Performance:
Wind: None
Course: Flat loop, along the lake shore, and through some nice residential neighborhoods. Pretty flat generally, only a couple of VERY small hills, hardly worth mentioning. Took two laps of the loop. Advertised at 12.4 miles, but Garmin measured at just over 13
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Average Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 01:55
Overall: Below average
Riding w/ feet on shoes Bad
Jumping off bike Bad
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Bad
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:24:26 | 03.11 miles | 07m 52s  min/mile
Age Group: 2/7
Overall: 65/220
Performance: Below average
Mile 1 - 7:31 Mile 2 - 7:56 Mile 3 - 8:16 Mile 3.1 - 8:14
Course: Out and back course, through a grassy park (yuk), and along a dike service road (paved) along the lake. Some shade, but mostly unprotected from the sun.
Keeping cool Below average Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2006-06-24 3:11 PM

User image

Expert
Tremonton, Utah
Subject: Provo Triathlon

2006-06-24 6:46 PM
in reply to: #464624

User image

Expert
Austin, TX
Subject: RE: Provo Triathlon
Great race today! You're getting better from race to race. You're going to beat all of your friends next month at Lifetime

I'd agree that this is a great venue. And it's close to town. I have the feeling that this will be a much bigger race next year, as long as people can get over the thought of swimming in Utah Lake. And those dogs were awesome!

Thanks for heading down with me. It was nice to have someone to talk to along the way. It helps with the pre-race jitters.
2006-06-24 11:19 PM

User image

Master
South of SLC
I was going to call you this afternoon and ask how your race went -- nicely done. 2nd in your AG? You better plan on placing at Jordanelle.

You are 'da man. I think a friend of mine convienced me to run in the Freedom Festival with him, so I think our trip up to Echo is out. I have to get some serious speedwork in before I crush Drew at Echo. I will need all the time I can get.

Mike
2006-06-25 6:29 PM

User image

Veteran
Centreville, MD
Great job, Brett!  Another great race under your belt.  I'm not posting to any more of your race reports until you get some Yankz! 
2006-06-25 10:12 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Blaine, MN
nice tri.. 1:26 aint bad. .. ...  you cooking on all legs too... nice to see you hard training paying off... you must very pleased so far with your results... I can only guess you aptitude at LTF...     congrats!! 2nd is close..
2006-06-26 9:58 AM
in reply to: #465137

User image

Expert
Tremonton, Utah

Dtraining - 2006-06-25 5:29 PM Great job, Brett!  Another great race under your belt.  I'm not posting to any more of your race reports until you get some Yankz! 

Do we need to make a challenge???

I know -- got to get those yankz!

2006-06-26 11:33 AM

User image

Regular
Draper, Utah

Nice race, Brett!! You're still smokin' fast... But ya gotta get that swim speed up if ya want to hang with me on the long ones   No your swim was still respectable and you definitely held your own on the bike and the run (kicked my butt) as always...  Pretty stinkin' good considering you've prob. got some serious fatigue from three races in three weeks...  Second place AG is awesome... I'm jealous!!  You rocked it on Sat!

We're gonna miss you at the Echo tri, but based on how you did today you're gonna do fine at Lifetime Fitness... And I'm not just saying that.  You're still a serious contender (esp. with the running stuff... wish some of that would rub off AND STAY on me during the races).  Just follow the advice you always give me: stay calm, relax and enjoy... Don't beat yourself up before the race even starts (but you knew that)  

Just remember, I'm a young buck with 20 years on you, and it still took me 3 tries to beat ya!  And it wasn't easy... It has everything to do with lots of brutal, punishing training right beside the master, coach Brett!   Keep pushing hard!! 

Edited by brappleye3 2006-06-26 11:38 AM
2006-06-26 12:36 PM

User image

Crystal Lake, IL

Dude, hardware?  You rock!

You have got to get some yankz.  I love mine.  I put em on my regular shoes too.  I was running by guys in transition tying their shoes thinking "what a waste of time".  Having to stop like you did makes it even more important to get them.  Get dem Yankz!

2006-07-08 8:08 PM

User image

Regular
Boise ID
Nice race and race report. Perhaps I should consider making the trip next year.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Provo Triathlon Rss Feed