World Triathlon Corporation
78F / 26C
Sunny
Total Time = 14h 46m 43s
Overall Rank = 1921/2940
Age Group = M40-44
Age Group Rank = 350/523
Pre-race routine:

Drove to Arizona on Friday and got in around 3:30pm to sign in and get my packet. Nice to see we got stuff this year. Backback and some other bobbles.

Met up with BTers Monica and Tony at the pre race dinner. It was the usual deal until they started to mention people that had applications that had something "interesting" in their applications. They went through a couple people with amazing stories that I kind of half listented to as I socialized with people at my table when Mike Riley said "and for the last/best, is James Yancey here?". I heard my name and was just shocked. I had NO CLUE what he could be talking about me for and I didn't even remember what I put on my application. I was a bit hesitant in standing to be recognized because I didn't think it could possibly mean ME he was asking for. Then he said "please stand, you can't miss him because he was 6'7"

So I stood and then he goes on to read "it says here he is married to a Las Vegas Showgirls(s) and a model" THEN I remembered what I wrote down! LOL! To be honest, I THOUGHT I might have put down that I fought cancer earlier this year, but no. I don't like to talk about that much (which may be a surprise to some) and I wrote down that fact about my wife as more of a joke than anything. I didn't think I had anything interesting about me EXCEPT for who I'm married to and I was just putting something silly down just to fill in the blank...

But I guess it caught their attention? Too funny. Mike proceded to tease me that I said showgirls, (plural) as a typo, asked if she was going to be there at the finish and how I wanted to be "announced" when I finished. It was fun, but also a bit embarrassing! Oh well.

Next morning met up with people to do the practice swim. I don't normally do that, but glad I did. It was a good time.

Met up with my sister in law after the swim who was down there to volunteer to get into the race in 2013.

Went to go see "skyfall" by myself just to relax, stay off my feet and take my mind off the race.

Met up with Tony and Monica again for dinner.

Event warmup:

Not much. Just ate some breakfast and headed down to the race to get ready.
Swim
  • 1h 17m 3s
  • 4224 yards
  • 01m 49s / 100 yards
Comments:

Good swim. It's my stregth so I just had fun with it.
What would you do differently?:

Train more
Transition 1
  • 08m 24s
Comments:

Wetsuit strippers had a tough time with getting my suits over my heels. A little dissapointing.
Bike
  • 6h 57m 55s
  • 112 miles
  • 16.08 mile/hr
Comments:

Well, I told myself to to have fun, but the competitive side of me took control and I went out WAY too fast for the first lap. I even considered quiting after the first lap because I was tired and the thought of the of the 2 remaining laps and a marathon? More on that later

I decided to head back out for lap two and just took it easy and TRIED to enjoy it.

Same went for the 3rd lap (after seriously considering quitting again).

My back and butt were unhappy with spending so much time in the saddle and lack of training. Again, more later.

Side note, I decided to bring my road bike because I thought it would be more comfortable. Honestly, I can't tell if it hurt or helped. I think I could have been faster, but maybe at the cost of some comfort. I can't look back and decide if it was the right choice or not.

Train more.
Transition 2
  • 04m 14s
Comments:

Decent
Run
  • 6h 19m 9s
  • 26.2 miles
  • 14m 28s  min/mile
Comments:

Long and painful. Just like last year, back siezed up from lack of training for the first 3 miles before it started to losen up. All I kept doing is looking at my watch to see if I could finish at my slow pace. Felt like dropping out at every lap. LOTS of walking

Train more.
Post race
Warm down:

Dinner and Massage

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Lack of training.

Event comments:

I'll try to keep it short. This was a tough race, but at the same time, I have to consider it a success.

It started a year ago when I signed up for it (my fourth IM) and just was not sure about it. THEN I had to get thyroid surgery due to thyroid cancer and the follow up radiation treatments. Neither of those were too tough to deal with, but the resulting hormon embalance was. I could never feel "right" all year.

Now, I COULD have gotten past that feeling of "not right" by sheer determination and drive, but the problem was, I was lacking that as well. To be honest, this being my forth, I just didn't have the drive/desire I did in previous races. I didn't have anything to prove and the drive to complete it when I have completed 3 prior just wasn't there. I ended up doing minimal training to "just get by" and it cost me.

I'm a bit disappointed of my time, which was 2.5 hours slower than the previous year on the same course. My bike was 3 mph slower, my marathon was 80 minutes slower, my swim was 2 minutes slower.

What was crazy, I know everyone wants to quit at one point or another in an IM, but I was scared that I wanted to quit so soon (after first bike lap), but I just kept heading back out for another lap, or another loop, or even just get to next aid station no matter what it took.

Actually, it's not my time I'm disappointed of as much as I'm disappointed with myself for my lack of motivation and lack of training. But hey, it was a tough year, and I'm just glad I got to hear my name called by Mike Riley again and once again, be called an ironman.

Last updated: 2012-11-25 12:00 AM
Swimming
01:17:03 | 4224 yards | 01m 49s / 100yards
Age Group: 171/523
Overall: 904/2940
Performance: Good
Suit: Full
Course: Single Loop
Start type: Deep Water Plus: Shot
Water temp: 63F / 17C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 08:24
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
06:57:55 | 112 miles | 16.08 mile/hr
Age Group: 348/523
Overall: 1803/2940
Performance: Below average
Wind: Some
Course: 3 loops
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Too hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 04:14
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
06:19:09 | 26.2 miles | 14m 28s  min/mile
Age Group: 350/523
Overall: 1921/2940
Performance: Below average
Course: 3 Loop
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2012-11-25 8:24 PM

User image

Sensei
Sin City
Subject: Ironman Arizona

2012-11-25 8:52 PM
in reply to: #4509575

User image

Champion
Chicago
Subject: RE: Ironman Arizona
Meh you did fine Jimbo. You got through it and thats what matters. Great seeing you there and in LV!!!
2012-11-25 10:52 PM

User image

Veteran
Avondale
Great and honest race report. Even with the serious medical issue and treatment you had this year, you finished your fourth IM. I am duly impressed. That you wanted to quit early is irrelevant because you did not quit...you persevered and finished even though your time was slower than you wanted. I am doing IMAZ 2014 as my first IM and get wisdom and courage from race reports like yours to help get me through the "dark" periods I hear are horrible! Congrats on finishing #4!!!
2012-12-07 11:57 AM
in reply to: #4509704

User image

Sensei
Sin City

Edit and bump.  I needed to revisit after some time passed to get some perspective.  I was a bit too hard on myself on the first version.  I needed time to give me some perspective. 

It was a great race and it was wonderful to share it with Tony and Monica and my Sister in Law!

2012-12-07 12:37 PM
in reply to: #4526346

User image

Master
Toronto
Bronze member
Kido - 2012-12-07 12:57 PM

Edit and bump.  I needed to revisit after some time passed to get some perspective.  I was a bit too hard on myself on the first version.  I needed time to give me some perspective. 

It was a great race and it was wonderful to share it with Tony and Monica and my Sister in Law!

Glad to hear it! Congrats on making it through. You know, sometimes it's just lining up and continuing on to finish - that is a huge 'win' for the day - time is time. It matters only to you, if you want it to ... 

Definitely inspirational - 4x Ironman.  

2012-12-07 1:07 PM

User image

Los Angeles
You are an Ironman (x4)!! You had a ton on your plate w the medical issues too. You persevered thru it all. Congrats! I look up to you.

2012-12-07 1:09 PM

User image

Champion
Austin, Texas

Jim, I'm so glad we got to all do this experience together!  Well okay... we didn't get to race together, but having everyone doing the practice swim, dinners and just hanging out (and of course, Vegas) made the whole time that much more special for me. Thank you!

Congrats on another Ironman!!   

2012-12-07 10:01 PM

Iron Donkey
, Wisconsin
Being able to get to the starting line is one of the hardest parts of all, let alone getting there healthy. You went through a pretty rough time, so it's quite understandable. Having Mike Riley do that made the event fun and rememberable! That swim is nothing to sneeze at - I'd take that in a heartbeat! Congratulations on your 4th IM finish!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Ironman Arizona Rss Feed