General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Coming back from Surgery Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2012-11-26 9:34 AM

User image

Veteran
Just South of Disorder
Subject: Coming back from Surgery

I had torn Mencius cleaned up 9/1 and a torn librum, partial rotator cuff tear surgery on 10/1. Both surgeries went well and the doctor has just given me clearance to work out again. No push ups or bench presses obviously. But I can start running again and getting back on the bike providing i don't lean on the handle bars too much. I can't swim until Feb at the earliest, although i might just use a kick board to work on the legs once or twice a week. This morning i ran for 15 mins and biked for 25 mins. My first work out in 3 months. I put on 25 lbs and feel like crap.  Any other ideas of work outs I can do until i am fully healed? Thanks

Edited by Mister Mike 2012-11-26 9:35 AM

2012-11-26 10:10 AM
in reply to: #4510086

User image

Elite
Laguna Beach
Subject: RE: Coming back from Surgery

Take it slow and follow doctor's instructions. That's key with any orthopedic surgery. A key thing is maintaining reasonable exercise and watching your weight.

If you have been assigned a physical therapy routine focus heavily on that. It helps with your recovery (obviously) and keeps you fit.

Best of luck on your recovery. If you stick with it and follow your doctor and therapist's instructions you'll bounce back no sweat.

2012-11-26 10:46 AM

User image

Minneapolis, MN
make sure you do any Dr prescribed shoulder exercises. (as often as the DR lets you)  that way once you get back into the water your shoulders will be ready.  I know many swimmers that did not and it ended up causing mucsle imbalances and they hurt themselves in other parts of their shoulders and arms.
2012-11-26 11:24 AM

User image

Expert
Charlottesville, VA
Take your time coming back -- too soon, too fast, and too far can set you back even further. Concentrate on your PT and ease back into training. Stay in the small ring on your rides for a while, too.

Good luck coming back!

Ken
2012-11-26 1:54 PM

User image

Veteran
Just South of Disorder

Thanks All! I have been doing PT three times a week and it has been doing wonders. I actually have a larger rotator cuff tear in my right shoulder that I am addressing at PT along with my left (which was repaired) in the hope that I won't need surgery on that shoulder next fall. I told the doctor if i can swim and throw a softball across the baseball diamond without pain i will be a happy man. I haven't swam nor thrown a softball in over three months so the PT and down time i am sure will help out.

As for taking it slow. We are all triathletes here which means we are in most part type A people. Taking it slow is not in our nature. But I must agree taking it slow is the way to go. It is easy to take it slow in the beginning but once you start feeling better and doinging things without pain you want to do more.

As for the workouts do you think keeping things mostly cardio right now is the way to go? Should i throw in some weights for the legs?

2012-11-27 9:23 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
, Minnesota
2 months?  Uggggg.  I'm having RC surgery on Thursday and besides being freaked out about being put under (general anesthesia), the pain level and recovery time is even worse IMO.  

2012-11-27 2:51 PM
in reply to: #4511443

User image

Veteran
Just South of Disorder

lakelandsledder - 2012-11-27 10:23 AM 2 months?  Uggggg.  I'm having RC surgery on Thursday and besides being freaked out about being put under (general anesthesia), the pain level and recovery time is even worse IMO.  

First off good luck with your surgery. Don't stress too much. As for the pain I had the doctor use a novacane type drip that stayed on me for about 4 days after surgery. It fed the area and my entire arm felt like i just left the dentist office after a novacane shot. Ask for it. That way your arm is numb for the first few days when most of the pain would be at its worse.

Now even with saying that once the drip wore off i was not in any pain. Sleeping and moving around was a but no pain. I highly recommend that you get a reclining chair. I rented one from the medical supply store and it was worth every penny. I slept in it for two straight weeks. I wish you well and don't worry about rehab right now. I was in a sling for 4 weeks and did zip. Only then was i given the ok to start PT. If you have any questions just ask I would be more than happy to help.

2012-11-27 5:53 PM
in reply to: #4512078

User image

Extreme Veteran
, Minnesota
Mister Mike - 2012-11-27 2:51 PM

lakelandsledder - 2012-11-27 10:23 AM 2 months?  Uggggg.  I'm having RC surgery on Thursday and besides being freaked out about being put under (general anesthesia), the pain level and recovery time is even worse IMO.  

First off good luck with your surgery. Don't stress too much. As for the pain I had the doctor use a novacane type drip that stayed on me for about 4 days after surgery. It fed the area and my entire arm felt like i just left the dentist office after a novacane shot. Ask for it. That way your arm is numb for the first few days when most of the pain would be at its worse.

Now even with saying that once the drip wore off i was not in any pain. Sleeping and moving around was a but no pain. I highly recommend that you get a reclining chair. I rented one from the medical supply store and it was worth every penny. I slept in it for two straight weeks. I wish you well and don't worry about rehab right now. I was in a sling for 4 weeks and did zip. Only then was i given the ok to start PT. If you have any questions just ask I would be more than happy to help.

Thanks for the advice!  I'm trying to find out as much as I can beforehand.  This is not how I envisioned my winter but I'm trying to tell myself at least it isn't in the middle of the race season.  I don't know what it is except for fear of my mortality, but I really am having a problem with handling this surgery and going under.  I've been trying to keep busy, getting everything I want done so my wife isn't saddled with everything to do.  If all goes well, I may do some videos to help others understand the process a little better.  The few I found helped me understand a lot.  Wish me luck!  

2012-11-27 5:54 PM

Master
, California

The meniscus recovery varies widely depending on each individual.  But if you're biking with good range of motion already, then that's a good thing to focus on.

You might try a recumbent stationary cycle at your gym to stay off your shoulder until it heals up more.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Coming back from Surgery Rss Feed