General Discussion Race Reports! » Captain Christopher Scott Cash Memorial 5k Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Captain Christopher Scott Cash Memorial 5k - Run5k

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Old Orchard Beach, Maine
United States
65F / 18C
Overcast
Total Time = 23m 18s
Overall Rank = 66/229
Age Group = 35-39M
Age Group Rank = 3/17
Pre-race routine:

Woke up at 6:30am had a cup of coffee and a detour bar. My father was in town so I picked him up and went to the race. Had two Ecaps a half hour before race as I drank a bit the night before and felt a little dehyradrated.
Event warmup:

jogged a few minutes from the car to the registration and walked another 1/4 mile to the start.
Run
  • 23m 18s
  • 3.1 miles
  • 07m 31s  min/mile
Comments:

This race comes one week before my first tri and I wanted to get a fairly strong tempo run in. This was my first 5k as I have only raced in 5 mile and above distances. So at the start I wasn't really sure what pace I should run.

I was very surprised with the hill climbs which was an added bonus as next week tri is very hilly. I have also been hitting the hills pretty hard on my own so I felt like I had a good opportunity to have a decent placing.

The first mile was essentially downhill. I tried to keep a nice steady pace with a good kick and let all 210 pounds of me get me down the hill. To my absolute shock I heard a volunteer calling of time at the first mile.....6:13....6:14...6:15!!!! I couldn't believe it. Sure enough I looked down at my watch and it was correct. I have never run a competitive mile below 8:10 and I just crushed that by almost 2 miniuntes!!!!

I started to freak out a little as I had no idea if I could maintain or even finished. I decided to pull the rains in slightly an focus on a keeping a steady breath.

At about 1.3 miles the course turned back up from the seaside pier and carnival area and started to climb and climb and climb...The race was some form of hill climb from that point on.

I was about 14:30 at mile 2. I wasn't passed after the hill climbs started and did pass a few on the way in.

I was absolutely shock to check the results on the internet and to see my name as 3rd in my age group. This is the first time I have ever won a medal or even finished in the top 50% of a race!!
What would you do differently?:

Check the results before I leave to see if I'm bringing home hardware and stay for the awards ceremony!!!

Other than that this run was just a low mileage tempo run and I accomplished everythin I set out to do.
Post race
Warm down:

take a leak and walk to the breakfast buffet. Had eggs, bacon, water, bananna, orange and juice.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

genetics, age, 40 pounds and slight hangover

Event comments:

Last updated: 2006-06-24 12:00 AM
Running
00:23:18 | 03.1 miles | 07m 31s  min/mile
Age Group: 3/17
Overall: 66/229
Performance: Good
Course: Downhill first miles uphill the rest of the way.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2006-06-24 7:52 PM

User image

Master
Portland, ME
Subject: Captain Christopher Scott Cash Memorial 5k
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Captain Christopher Scott Cash Memorial 5k Rss Feed