United States
25F / -4C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 37m 52s
Overall Rank = 146/1647
Age Group = M30-34
Age Group Rank = 15/107
Pre-race routine:

So I've been battling injuries since the Chicago Marathon (and really before that), so I've been running about 10-20 miles a week, all very easy. So I didn't have high expectations other than just having fun. My wife was shooting for a PR (success!) so this race was more about her. We drove over Friday morning/afternoon, checked in at the hotel, and did packet pickup. After that we went to Rainforest Cafe for an absolute calorie bomb of a meal. Probably not best to eat that much the night before a race but oh well it was fun! After that we just walked around for a bit, went to Target to see if there were any cheap movies left from Black Friday, then headed back to the hotel and got some sleep. It was nice that the race started later, we didn't get up until about 7:45 and had plenty of time to drive to the race and do the usual routine. It felt COLD though! In the 20s with a bit of wind...
Event warmup:

Nothing really, just a little stretching...
Run
  • 1h 37m 52s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 07m 28s  min/mile
Comments:

At the start I figured I'd go out at a decent pace and slow up if the hip or knee wasn't up to it, I didn't want to risk making either worse. Felt pretty good for the first 4 miles or so, then my hip flexor kept getting tight to the point I had to stop to stretch it to get it loosened up enough to run again. This happened about 10 times between mile 4 and 8, but I didn't really sweat it too much since this was a for fun race. Around mile 8 things finally loosened up enough that I didn't need to stretch again, and I actually laid adown some nice sub-7 miles to finish things up.
What would you do differently?:

Not too much, pretty good effort on minimal training...
Post race
Warm down:

I got a quick massage and did some stretching, and just tried to stay warm until my wife finished up. Unfortunately my gloves were wet so my hands were pretty numb by the time she did.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Lack of consistent training, bad diet, and hip and knee injuries

Event comments:

This weekend was a really good time. The race was great, and we went to see Lincoln (which I highly recommend) and went to Medieval Times which was a blast!

Last updated: 2012-11-19 12:00 AM
Running
01:37:52 | 13.1 miles | 07m 28s  min/mile
Age Group: 15/107
Overall: 146/1647
Performance: Good
Course: Trails through a park with a few rolling hills mixed in. I thought it was pretty nice a scenic for being so close to a big city.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2012-11-26 4:30 PM

User image

Regular
Waterloo
Subject: Schaumburg Half Marathon

2012-11-27 5:30 PM
in reply to: #4510778

User image

Master
Straight outta Compton
Subject: RE: Schaumburg Half Marathon
Pretty impressive time there!  If this is a bad race for you I'd love to see your RR for a good half!
2012-11-28 4:42 PM
in reply to: #4510778

User image

Regular
Waterloo
Subject: RE: Schaumburg Half Marathon
Thanks!  I don't think I've ever really run a half to my potential haha
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Schaumburg Half Marathon Rss Feed