General Discussion Race Reports! » Splash, Mash and Dash Sprint Triathlon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Splash, Mash and Dash Sprint Triathlon - TriathlonSprint

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Grantham, New Hampshire
United States
Eastman
70F / 21C
Precipitation
Total Time = 1h 12m 59s
Overall Rank = 21/138
Age Group = M30-39
Age Group Rank = 9/30
Pre-race routine:

I've been fighting a flu or something so have been pretty tired/lathargic all week. Breakfast was HN Cheerios and a banana, and coffee. Up at 4:15 - check BT.com while coffee settles etc etc... Drive the hour and change to Eastman. There by 7. Pretty smooth registration etc... Had a red bull on the drive up to try and wake up a bit.
Event warmup:

Not much. 30 yard swim over to the pennisula before the pre-race meeting.
Swim
  • 09m 40s
  • 586 yards
  • 01m 39s / 100 yards
Comments:

Saw lobstergirl before the swim. She looked ready to go, and we wished each other luck. Didn't see her again.
Really tough swim for me. I ended up right in the middle of the mix at the start, and wound up bumping and nudging people all over. I swam the first 40 yards or so with my head up out off the water so I wouldn't get kicked. Unfortunately, I could never catch my breath from there, and seriously considered stopping a couple of times. I had to stop and breast stroke probably seven or eight times. I just felt terrible the whole way. I was so releived to see the beach! After the race was over, I told Christina I thought the swim had taken probably almost twenty minutes. Fortunately, I was wrong, but it sure felt like it! I was actually really suprised by my time, although I sure didn't enjoy this part of the race.
What would you do differently?:

I still should be starting near the edge for the swim until I get stronger.
Transition 1
  • 00m
Comments:

As usual, I was very dissoriented getting out of the water. I couldn't even run out of the water, but had to walk for a bit. By the time I got re-oriented a bit, i was at my bike, and I hadn't even taken my top off. I think I unzipped it while runing, but that's it. Got the top off ok, and did better with the bib than the last race. Lots of body glide helped, and I got to lean against the end of the rack.

practice
Bike
  • 42m 23s
  • 12 miles
  • 16.99 mile/hr
Comments:

Didn't bike this very well. I started out way too hard up the first hill and toasted my legs within a few minutes. I didn't feel like I recovered until the last couple of miles. I only drank about 1/2 wb of gatorade. No water on the bike at all!?!

Take the first hill easy next year!
Transition 2
  • 00m
Comments:

Still need to get the T times down. Just practice. Living on the tip top of a hill makes it tough to practice T times. No rolling starts or stops due to the crazy little hill we live on. As soon as I'm out of my garage, I'm cruising down a hill, and coming home is struggling up the same.

Practice.
Run
  • 20m 54s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 06m 43s  min/mile
Comments:

I managed to take a beautiful digger coming down the steep section at about 3/4 of a mile in! I wish someone had a video camera going! I was just trying to let gravity take me down the hill - had couple of guys in my sights, and let my feet get tangled. Got some pretty good road rash on my right knee and right outside butt/hip! Probably the only person finishing with blood dripping into my shoes :-)
Managed to pass a handful of guys, and finished pretty strong. I was definitely working hard, but felt OK. Very glad to see the finish line.

No face plant :-)
Post race
Warm down:

none

What limited your ability to perform faster:

tought condidtions. poor strategy. Little under the weather.

Event comments:

Very good race. Pretty tough little course with the hills and the trail run. Nice BBQ lunch after. Didn't stick around for the ceremony stuff, as we had places to be. Well run.

Last updated: 2006-06-11 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:09:40 | 586 yards | 01m 39s / 100yards
Age Group: 12/30
Overall: 34/138
Performance: Average
Suit: T1 Desoto
Course: Triangle course. 1/3 of a mile. Just a guess at the water temp. Males first. Females in wave two.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 67F / 19C Current: Low
200M Perf. Below average Remainder: Bad
Breathing: Bad Drafting: Bad
Waves: Average Navigation: Average
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 00:00
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Bad Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
00:42:23 | 12 miles | 16.99 mile/hr
Age Group: 14/30
Overall: 38/138
Performance:
The 42.23 HAS to include both transition times. My garmin said 38:54 or 19.2 mph on the bike course. It also said 12.43 miles.
Wind: Little
Course: Tough course in that up hill the first 1/3 of a mile, then STEEP, curvy downhill for at least 2/3 a mile. Then steady up most of the way to the turnaround. Coming back was nice mostly down until the last mile or so.
Road: Rough Wet Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Below average Hills: Below average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 00:00
Overall: Below average
Riding w/ feet on shoes Bad
Jumping off bike Bad
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
00:20:54 | 03.11 miles | 06m 43s  min/mile
Age Group: 4/30
Overall: 6/138
Performance: Good
mile 1 6:45 mile 2 6:11 mile 3 6:26
Course: This was an out and back with a little loop on the far out part. It was a trail run with some pretty steep little sections with plenty of mud and rocks etc to dodge.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Below average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2006-06-24 9:30 PM

User image

Expert
Manchester, NH
Subject: Splash, Mash and Dash Sprint Triathlon

2006-06-25 9:17 AM
in reply to: #464769

User image

Master
Des Moines, Iowa
Subject: RE: Splash, Mash and Dash Sprint Triathlon

Good race!  Bummer about having the flu and going down.  Sounds like you worked through it.  Funny thing, I finished my race yesterday and saw some blood, but couldn't figure out where it came from.  Someone asked me, "how'd you do that?"  The back of my leg had about 5 cuts/scrapes.  I had no idea I'd even done it. 

Good job :-)

2006-06-25 6:23 PM
in reply to: #464769

User image

Expert
Haddam, CT
Subject: RE: Splash, Mash and Dash Sprint Triathlon
Good run and swim!!  My run stunk; too tired from travelling this week...I'll be hitting the track work + hill work HARD this month in prep for Greenfield Tri in August.  See you Wed.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Splash, Mash and Dash Sprint Triathlon Rss Feed