of 3

2012-11-30 4:41 AM
in reply to: #4515363

User image

Veteran
austin, Texas
Subject: RE: Family Life
TriMike - 2012-11-30 9:02 AM

I think your 2013 goals are doable however not without some cost...

You mention working 60-70 hours per week, how many days is that spread over and what are your typical start and end times?

For up to OLY distance triathlons I think your schedule will work but not without some pain...Pain of missing things with the family, work quality slippage, lack of sleep, less than optimal training as a result but still doable...And that won't be all the time but 60-70 hours a week is a ton of hours and the body is affected cumulatively when rest isn't sufficient...

As for IM by 45, that's a totally different animal....Whether you're 25 or 45, unless something gives with your work hours, I don't see how you can fit all the things in and still get the training volume...

I did a HIM when my kids were ranging in ages from 15 to 8 and it was quite difficult as I missed a lot of things on the weekend when I did my long bike and run workouts....

I'm 46 now and my goal was IM by 50 and I'm wondering if I'll get there....I COULD get there, but as my kids are getting older I realize I'd rather miss out on long course tris than ANYTHING with my family...

Good luck with your decision(s)...

I have worked 60+ hrs per week for my entire career. Never had problems getting the training in I needed. Working 8-7+ everyday with a few hours on the weekend leaves plenty for me to train for IM. Good luck OP

2012-11-30 4:43 AM
in reply to: #4513258

User image

Veteran
austin, Texas
Tom Demerly. - 2012-11-29 3:30 AM

Hmm.

You asked...

I'm 51. Done everything. Don't ask.

My advice: Pick your battles.

If you want to raise a family; raise a family.

If you want to be a Navy SEAL, be a Navy SEAL.

If you want to do Ironman, do Ironman.

If you want to be the best in your career field, be the best in your career field.

In other words, it is very difficult to be a Father-of-the-year, great husband, Boy Scout Troop leader, Ironman, employee or partner of the year, entrepreneur, most interesting man in the world, adult entertainer to your spouse, etc.

Pick one thing. do that. Be the best. Make everything else a distant second. Distant. Don't live by comparison.

People talk about a "life of balance". I can't imagine anything worse. I'd ratehr raise great kids and be a great husband and be happy with that   -OR-   dedicate myself to a career and be devoted to that like a monk and be successful (or fail trying)   -OR-   .... you get the idea.

When you try to be good at too many things you often aren't particularly good at anything, and that is a compromise life. Not good.

And, don't worry about your abs. Smile

I really like this advice. Not that it is impossible to do lots, but by choosing your "battles" you allow yourself to achieve certain goals while not stretching yourself too thin. Good insight,
2012-11-30 6:40 AM
in reply to: #4515886

User image

Extreme Veteran
West Michigan
matcrawf - 2012-11-30 5:41 AM
TriMike - 2012-11-30 9:02 AM

I think your 2013 goals are doable however not without some cost...

You mention working 60-70 hours per week, how many days is that spread over and what are your typical start and end times?

For up to OLY distance triathlons I think your schedule will work but not without some pain...Pain of missing things with the family, work quality slippage, lack of sleep, less than optimal training as a result but still doable...And that won't be all the time but 60-70 hours a week is a ton of hours and the body is affected cumulatively when rest isn't sufficient...

As for IM by 45, that's a totally different animal....Whether you're 25 or 45, unless something gives with your work hours, I don't see how you can fit all the things in and still get the training volume...

I did a HIM when my kids were ranging in ages from 15 to 8 and it was quite difficult as I missed a lot of things on the weekend when I did my long bike and run workouts....

I'm 46 now and my goal was IM by 50 and I'm wondering if I'll get there....I COULD get there, but as my kids are getting older I realize I'd rather miss out on long course tris than ANYTHING with my family...

Good luck with your decision(s)...

I have worked 60+ hrs per week for my entire career. Never had problems getting the training in I needed. Working 8-7+ everyday with a few hours on the weekend leaves plenty for me to train for IM. Good luck OP

Do you have a family/kids?  And if so, how involved are you with their lives?  Not trying to start something but there aren't enough hours in the day to do it all IMO...

Kids grow up in the blink of an eye....I personally believe missing too much when the kids are young will haunt people later in life when the house is empty and we have all the time in the world for working out, hobbies etc...Again IMO..

2012-11-30 9:59 AM
in reply to: #4512872

User image

New user
Thanks or all the responses but family and work is still my top priority. 1.5 years ago my wife told me my racing was getting out o hand and I need to focus more on being a father. I dropped the oly and half im I was signed up for and have not raced since. Now I am just a closet triathlete and will prolly not do another race until i am 40 (i am 29 now) unless it is with my wife or kids.
I might change my 2013 goal a little instead of s/b/r or sport 1 hour every day I might change it to 30 min.
I got into triathlon 4 years ago because I became a father and I wanted to be healthy so I could be around my kids and grandkids for a long time. But now it has interfered with my family.
Bottom line is I work to much to have a hobby and be a father. So I will continue to get up mon-fri at 4 am get my workout in, get home shower, get ready for work, get the kids ready, drop off at the sitters, then try to be a normal person the rest of the day.

I am not complaining I chose my profession and I chose I be a father and I would not change a thing.
2012-11-30 11:13 AM
in reply to: #4516270

User image

Extreme Veteran
West Michigan

jeffschulte0176 - 2012-11-30 10:59 AM Thanks or all the responses but family and work is still my top priority. 1.5 years ago my wife told me my racing was getting out o hand and I need to focus more on being a father. I dropped the oly and half im I was signed up for and have not raced since. Now I am just a closet triathlete and will prolly not do another race until i am 40 (i am 29 now) unless it is with my wife or kids.
I might change my 2013 goal a little instead of s/b/r or sport 1 hour every day I might change it to 30 min.
I got into triathlon 4 years ago because I became a father and I wanted to be healthy so I could be around my kids and grandkids for a long time. But now it has interfered with my family.
Bottom line is I work to much to have a hobby and be a father. So I will continue to get up mon-fri at 4 am get my workout in, get home shower, get ready for work, get the kids ready, drop off at the sitters, then try to be a normal person the rest of the day.

I am not complaining I chose my profession and I chose I be a father and I would not change a thing.

Don't let the words of caution myself and others have given you sour you to thinking you can't do ANY tris....I think the overwhelming concern was your schedule prohibiting long course training AND balance in the rest of your life...

I fully believe you can do up to OLY with your current situation and have a great time...You may be on the lighter side of training volume but so what? 

I believe that proper balance in all aspects of one's life is important to the overall experience in life...Meaning if you wait 11 more years before your next tri, how happy will you be?  And I get it that being with your family and providing for them through your work will make you happy but I doubt you'd be as happy as you COULD be if you fit in your own personal interests, which in this context is triathlon...

Balance is the key..

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Family Life Rss Feed  

of 3