General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Ironman 70.3 Syracuse : Official Thread Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 4

2013-06-18 12:19 PM
in reply to: kimmax

User image

Expert
Mastic Beach, NY
Subject: RE: Ironman 70.3 Syracuse : Official Thread
Originally posted by kimmax

Originally posted by strikyr This is going to be a challenging course I hope everyone's training has included plenty of hills on the bike and the run. Quick question to those who got a chance to ride the course before hand, how are the conditions of the roads there? Were there any spots where we'd have to worry about sand or potholes? I'm sure there are some but asking more about anything obvious that we'd be looking to avoid.

I rode the course in May and thought it great.  Nice smooth shoulder - I don't recall any spots where I was uneasy.

I ate at the Dinosaur BBQ after riding the course.  Crazy busy (45 minute wait) and obscenely large portions.  Good beer!  Not sure I'd have it the night before a race though... a bit rich for me with all the bbq sauce.

Thanks, that is good to know. I'd like to drive the course on Saturday when I get up there so at least I know what it's like being that I was unable to get up there to ride it. The BBQ sounds really good for after the race.

2013-06-20 8:35 AM
in reply to: strikyr

User image

Master
TORONTO

So it looks to be a sunny day come race day but geez - feels like 35 degrees!!??  That's really warm!!

Everyone feeling good and ready?

2013-06-20 9:47 AM

User image

Veteran
The Cold North
Kimmax, heading down from Toronto? I am from just east of you.

I was finally diagnosed with a stress fracture on Tuesday this week, so no run for me at Syracuse. This has been an ongoing issue for a while, and I'm 3 weeks off running so far, so another 3 to go. Just in time for IMLP.

This weekend will be my first DNF. It makes me sad.
2013-06-20 10:50 AM
in reply to: erincs

User image

Master
TORONTO

Originally posted by erincs Kimmax, heading down from Toronto? I am from just east of you. I was finally diagnosed with a stress fracture on Tuesday this week, so no run for me at Syracuse. This has been an ongoing issue for a while, and I'm 3 weeks off running so far, so another 3 to go. Just in time for IMLP. This weekend will be my first DNF. It makes me sad.

Yes from Toronto! Sorry to hear about the fracture.  Heal up!  There will always be another race.

2013-06-20 3:25 PM

User image

New user
Hey! I also can't do the run portion, waiting for MRI results but it seems to be a torn ligament in my foot. Pretty bummed to have to DNF, but it helps to know there are others in the same boat!
2013-06-23 9:10 PM
in reply to: joyosplash

User image

Expert
Mastic Beach, NY
Congrats to all the finishers today! What a day, hot and humid and then thunderstorms and pouring rain. If you finished the race today you definitely earned it. The run was absolutely brutal.

2013-06-24 9:15 AM

User image

East Syracuse, New York
Yeah congrats to you all...I didnt do the race but barely fished a stand alone 12mi run lol...my hats off to you all. I wonder what the "dnf" percentage was?
2013-06-24 5:43 PM

User image

Master
TORONTO
Sadly I was a DNF. I pulled out at the first run loop. Too crampy and the medal wasn't worth hobbling through another loop! Of course when I saw the rain I wondered it I would have done better as it would have been cooler. Hindsight! Happy with my swim/bike and it was a pretty place to visit (The bike course that is!). Congrats to those that found the strength to continue in that heat!Comparing the pro times to Tremblant shows a much slower time. Last I looked lots of DNFs.
2013-06-25 7:59 AM

User image

New user
Rough day out there. The run course looked like a warzone with how many people were walking vs. running. Bummed to be a DNF, but motivated to train harder and come back stronger!
2013-06-25 8:52 AM
in reply to: joyosplash

User image

Expert
Mastic Beach, NY
I'm sorry to hear that you guys were not able to finish. The run course was tough to begin with but the weather made it brutal. I think mostly everyone was walking at some point. I pretty much ran where I could, walked the uphills and aid stations and ran the downhills. Definitely a tough day with those weather conditions.
2013-06-27 5:25 AM

User image

Veteran
I had a tough time!
My wave was at 8:10 and from 7am until then I peed 7x! So there goes my electrolytes!
2 miles into the bike and my quads are both cramping.
The run when the storm came I hid in somebodys garage then in a back of the truck. When it lit up I resumed running but the cop and ambulance tried to pick me up and offered me a ride to the finish line. I refused and crawl back. Im glad i finished!
It felt like a full ironman!

2013-06-27 7:32 PM

User image

Originally posted by strikyr

Congrats to all the finishers today! What a day, hot and humid and then thunderstorms and pouring rain. If you finished the race today you definitely earned it. The run was absolutely brutal.

Agreed!!!! The thunder started around 12.5 for me then by the time I reached the dirt road the hail started!!! What a dramatic finish to an insanely challenging day! The swim was perfect except I swam off course a bit coming to the first turn. Didn't realize the course wasn't a perfect rectangle but more at an angle lol. The bike was awesome- but we definitely had a head wind and it was a little toasty out there. The run was more like a death march. The heat was just there inside me- outside me...OMG just so hot and I couldn't drink enough. It actually felt good to be rained on plus washed all the dried salt off haha!
Glad I went. I think the race organizers did a pretty good job. The volunteers really deserve a thumbs up too. They could have totally abandoned their posts when the storm came but they stayed and protected our bikes. No mass chaos-- the usual checks to get your bike out of transition as they stood there in the pouring rain. Pretty amazing if you ask me.
2013-06-27 8:05 PM
in reply to: alicia123

User image

Expert
Mastic Beach, NY
Originally posted by alicia123

Originally posted by strikyr

Agreed!!!! The thunder started around 12.5 for me then by the time I reached the dirt road the hail started!!! What a dramatic finish to an insanely challenging day! The swim was perfect except I swam off course a bit coming to the first turn. Didn't realize the course wasn't a perfect rectangle but more at an angle lol. The bike was awesome- but we definitely had a head wind and it was a little toasty out there. The run was more like a death march. The heat was just there inside me- outside me...OMG just so hot and I couldn't drink enough. It actually felt good to be rained on plus washed all the dried salt off haha!
Glad I went. I think the race organizers did a pretty good job. The volunteers really deserve a thumbs up too. They could have totally abandoned their posts when the storm came but they stayed and protected our bikes. No mass chaos-- the usual checks to get your bike out of transition as they stood there in the pouring rain. Pretty amazing if you ask me.

X2, I agree. I didn't finish too far behind you I think I was at around mile 12 when the downpours began. I was comtemplating whether to keep running or walk some more but when I saw that lightning that was enough incentive for me to keep myself running. I'm glad I did I was able to run in it from about 11.5 miles on to the finish. As crazy as it was I had great time, it was a blast.
2013-07-01 5:41 PM

User image

Regular
Definitely one for the books - I unofficially finished - still got the medal and finishers cap from some brave finish line crew that braved the storm with a few of us stubborn ones! I have to say that the hills destroyed me on the bike and demolished me on the run. Crazy as it sounds, if it were not for the rain, I think I would have overheated and not finished at all. Still, glad I stuck it out and finished. My kids and wife were at the finish line and it was awesome!

Props to the volunteers who stuck it out to support us. There were 3 other dads out there with me, not wanting their kids see them give up. One guy's kids bought him a 'finisher' shirt and he said 'No way I am letting them down!' Love it when character shows up.

Now time to reflect and later start looking for one a lot less hilly...

Congrats to all those who officially (and unofficially) finished.

2013-09-05 9:24 AM
in reply to: Mike J

User image

I realize this thread is about the 2013 race, but I'm thinking of doing Syracuse 70.3 next year (2014) and wonder if anyone has hotel recommendations near the course. As of today, registration is "opening soon" but the June 22 date is already known so it seems like a smart idea to look at accommodations now. Thanks for any wisdom the group can provide. I'm from the Boston area and don't know Syracuse well at all.
2013-09-05 2:05 PM
in reply to: halfironmike

Originally posted by halfironmike

I realize this thread is about the 2013 race, but I'm thinking of doing Syracuse 70.3 next year (2014) and wonder if anyone has hotel recommendations near the course. As of today, registration is "opening soon" but the June 22 date is already known so it seems like a smart idea to look at accommodations now. Thanks for any wisdom the group can provide. I'm from the Boston area and don't know Syracuse well at all.

To be honest, there isn't alot of accomodation that close by - and that's an issue for this race. Most hotels are 10-15 minutes away. I know there is a decent sized inn/hotel in Fayetteville, right near the town center. I think it's called the Craftsman Inn. it's about 10-ish minutes from the race start. there are other hotels on carrier circle and in downtown syracuse that are probably 15-20 minutes away. the official race hotel is also an option - and I think it's the crowne plaza syracuse.

Perhaps someone else can help here. I have family in the area and stay with them, so while I know the area very well, I'm not up on all the hotels.

2013-09-05 8:45 PM
in reply to: LarchmontTri

User image

LarchmontTri - thanks for the info. This gives me at least a sense of where to start. Being 10-15 minutes away doesn't seem so bad.
2013-09-06 6:29 AM
in reply to: Mike J

User image

Extreme Veteran
Rochester, NY
Originally posted by Mike J

Definitely one for the books - I unofficially finished - still got the medal and finishers cap from some brave finish line crew that braved the storm with a few of us stubborn ones! I have to say that the hills destroyed me on the bike and demolished me on the run. Crazy as it sounds, if it were not for the rain, I think I would have overheated and not finished at all. Still, glad I stuck it out and finished. My kids and wife were at the finish line and it was awesome!

Props to the volunteers who stuck it out to support us. There were 3 other dads out there with me, not wanting their kids see them give up. One guy's kids bought him a 'finisher' shirt and he said 'No way I am letting them down!' Love it when character shows up.

Now time to reflect and later start looking for one a lot less hilly...

Congrats to all those who officially (and unofficially) finished.

I have stayed at the Homewood suites in Liverpool. They were a little expensive but it was right off of 81. There is a Holiday Inn as well that is about 1/4 of a mile from the Homewood suites. Like others have said there is not really that close to the race. It took me about 15 minutes to get there. Since there is really no traffic at 5AM you can get there pretty quick. There is also a Dunkin Donuts, and a Tim Hortons that is open right before you get onto 81. (I like to get a bagel in the morning.) So it worked out pretty good.
2013-09-12 4:07 PM
in reply to: JMoney

User image

Extreme Veteran
Westchester, NY
2014 is now open.
New Thread
General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Ironman 70.3 Syracuse : Official Thread Rss Feed  

of 4