Tupper Lake Chamber of Commerce
72F / 22C
Sunny
Total Time = 5h 39m 19s
Overall Rank = 255/612
Age Group = 40-44
Age Group Rank = 59/116
Pre-race routine:

Drove up to Tupper Lake the day before. Got in about noon, went to the race site and checked in, then went to the hotel and relaxed. Made my way down to the carbo load dinner, then back to the room and asleep by 9:30

Surprisingly, slept pretty well, and woke up about 5 min. before the alarm clock went off at 5:00. Had a bowl of wheaties for breakfast, then to D&D for coffee and a blueberry bagel. Made my way down to the race course at 6:00, and just hung out until about 7:30, then started getting ready.
Event warmup:

Put the wetsuit on and an easy 10 min swim to get everything loosened up. Had plenty of time and didn't feel rushed at all.
Swim
  • 40m 29s
  • 2112 yards
  • 01m 55s / 100 yards
Comments:

Was a little concerned during my warm up, since there was such heavy fog over the lake, and you could barely make out the first bouy, but as we waited to take off the fog lifted and everything was good. Found clear water right from the very start, and didn't have much of a problem swimming into people, or getting swam over. Sighting and navigation were right on, only really got off course a couple of times. After making the turn back to the shore, started catching some of the people in the wave in front of me, but managed to make my way through them. Time:40:29, last year: 37:47
What would you do differently?:

I was surprised when I saw my watch when I got of out of the water, it certainly felt like I was going faster. Overall all, though, the goal was just to swim comfortably, and save for the bike adn run.
Transition 1
  • 02m 23s
Comments:

12 seconds faster than last year. Had the top of teh suit off by the time I got to my bike, then sat down on a 5 gal. pail i brought to use as a seat, and pulled teh suit off my feet. Took all my fluids out of the cooler and loaded them onto the bike and I was off (last year I learned my lesson by loading the bike before the swim, and everything was really warm by the time I got to the bike)

Nothing
Bike
  • 2h 52m 20s
  • 56 miles
  • 19.50 mile/hr
Comments:

I was glad to be out of the water and on teh bike. The goal was to go out in 1:30 and back in 1:30 for a 3:00 ride. Had 2 bottles of feed on the bike (2 scoops of orange cytomax, 2 scoops of carbo pro, and 2 scoops of Metabol Endurance). Took a hit from the bottle every 10 min. and took sips of water constantly. Every 20 min, took one Endurolyte, and every 30 min a Clif Shot Blok. The out on the bike went really well. The first 13-15 miles are the toughest with lots of rolling hills, with the rest longer, more gradual ups and downs that I can stay in the big ring and stay aero. The first stretch went really well, I was surprised how easily I went up the hills, then by the time I hit the second part, I felt like I was really flying. I made the turnaround in 1:23 (20mph+ average), and for a minute thought sub 2:50 on the bike, but as soon as I started heading back, I was smacked in the face with a headwind, that must have been at our backs on the way out. So that explained the 1:23 on the way out. Just tried to grind my way back into the wind the whole way, had a few rough strethes from miles 30-40, but fought through them. Stopped to go the bathroom at mile 45, which indicated to me, I was on with my hydration, hit the last huge hill at mile 51, and flew down teh back side (new speed record for me, 45.6 mph) and spun back into town. Time: 2:52:20, Last Year 3:05:40

Picked up over 10 min on last year (except for the damn penalty). I was proud that I stayed with my nutrition and drinking plan the entire ride. I stayed right on top of it, and I think it paid off. Also the new wheels that I got a few weeks ago were great, and combined with the race tires definitely made a difference. One other thing I did, was constantly pour water on myself throughout the ride. Really felt nice to have the cold water running inside my helmet and down my back and front.
Transition 2
  • 02m 32s
Comments:

19 seconds slower than last year. That 5 gal. bucket was a god send, was nie just to sit down for a few seconds and gather myself for the run. Took my hat out of the cooler, and it felt so good. One thing I did this year that I didn't last year, was that I put on my running shorts over my tri shorts. For some reason it puts me into the mindset that I'm now a runner. I know, stupid, but it works for me.

Not wait 10 sec. for the bathroom, realized it might be a longer wait, so I took off and figured I could find a place to go.
Run
  • 1h 57m 37s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 08m 59s  min/mile
Comments:

Looked at my watch as soon as I crossed the timing mats: 3:37, did some quick calculations in my head and realized if I ran 10 min. miles I could easily fall under 6 hours. The plan right from the start was to run between aid stations, walk the aid stations, and take 2 endurolytes every 2 miles. The first mile was a grind, all up hill, but I found my running legs right of way, and just sort of eased into the run. After the second aid station at mile 2 I found a place to go to the bathroom. Mile 2 was pretty much all down hill, then mile 3 all up hill. Once I got to mile 4 I really started to find my stride and by mile 5, was about 3 min. ahead of 10 min pace. Once I got to mile 6, the course pretty much levels out the rest of the way, with only a few sharp ups and downs. By the time I was to mile 7 I was about 5:30 ahead of 10 min. pace. Everything was still feeling good, I was running the tangents on the curvy portions of the road (as opposed to everyone else who was running completely on the left side). Had a rough patch between mile 8 and 9 when I started getting some gastric distress, but it passed pretty quickly). By mile 10, I was about 10 min. under 10 min. pace, and briefly gave thought to a sub 2 hour run, but quickly snapped back to the present and focussed on getting to the next aid station. At each aid station I was taking in some water and powerade, with another cup of water going over me. By mile 11 I was starting to feel the effects of the long day, adn was beginning to struggle a bit, and for some reason, jsut at that moment, my grandfather popped into my head. he just passed away a couple of weeks ago from a long struggle with cancer. So I used the memory of his determination and strength to carry me the rest of the way. Looking down at my watch with about a 1/4 mile left, I realized I was going to be well under 2 hours. Almost cramped up as i came down teh chute, but managed to hang on. Time: 1:57:37, Last Year: 2:45:07

A death march it was not, a huge improvement from last year. I stayed hydrated the whole way, and held off any cramping with the endurolytes. I think this is abotu as fast as I can run a 1/2 mary after a 56 mile bike ride.
Post race
Warm down:

Stood in the water for a few minutes to cool off, then had a bit to eat, then back to the motel to shower.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Nothing, the way everything unfolded was beyond anything I could have predicted. I gave everything I could out there.

Event comments:

After last year's race, where the temps hit the mid-90's and I suffered through the run, I vowed I would come back and exact some revenge. Well I think I did that. No question I was stronger this year, and better prepared. All the additional riding really paid off, as I came off the bike feeling strong and ready to run. Not sure what's after this as far as long course events. To early to reflect. I want to have some time to think about everything.

Last updated: 2006-04-25 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:40:29 | 2112 yards | 01m 55s / 100yards
Age Group: 70/116
Overall: 328/612
Performance: Average
Suit: Xterra Vortex Full
Course: clockwise, upside down "V"
Start type: Wade Plus:
Water temp: 72F / 22C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 02:23
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed:
Biking
02:52:20 | 56 miles | 19.50 mile/hr
Age Group: 65/116
Overall: 247/612
Performance:
Wind: Headwind with gusts
Course: Out and back on Route 3
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 95+
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 02:32
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
01:57:37 | 13.1 miles | 08m 59s  min/mile
Age Group: 58/116
Overall: 253/612
Performance: Good
Course: two 6 mile out and backs in different directions.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2006-06-25 9:32 AM

User image

Expert
Colchester, CT
Subject: Tupper Lake Tinman

2006-06-25 11:59 AM
in reply to: #464892

User image

Philadelphia, south of New York and north of DC
Subject: RE: Tupper Lake Tinman

Great race, Chris.  Congrats!

I love the image of the fog on the lake in the morning.  There's nothing better than an Adirondack lake in the summer.  

2006-06-26 5:19 AM
in reply to: #464945

User image

Expert
Colchester, CT
dontracy - 2006-06-25 11:59 AM

Great race, Chris.  Congrats!

I love the image of the fog on the lake in the morning.  There's nothing better than an Adirondack lake in the summer.  

It wasn't very cool when it was 5 min. to the start and you couldn't make out teh first bouy. But luckily it lifted.  And it is absolutely beautiful in the Adirondaks.

2006-06-26 8:03 AM

User image

Veteran
Northeast
Nice!

My take on the day, here: http://www.rpi.edu/~vincia/
2006-06-26 8:05 AM

Expert
Great job Chris...what a difference from last year. Sounds like you did everything right and had a great day...really impressive time.

Now you can focus on that Lake T top 10

Mark
2006-06-26 8:49 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Manitoba, Canada

Excellent work Chris!!  You were so well trained and ready for this for race - glad it all went off so beautifully.  Sounds like last years 1/2IM race was a great learning experience for you.

It must be a wonderful feeling to find yourself running so strong that you can bring it in under 2hr on the 1/2 IM!!  This is a great example of dedicated training and a perfectly executed race - Congratulations!

Edited by Laerka 2006-06-26 8:52 AM

2006-06-26 11:22 AM

User image

Expert
Rocky Hill, Connecticut

Congrats on a beautifully run race.  Stayed within yourself, kept your hydration and nutrition on track and shattered your 6:00 hr goal.

Well Done!!!!!

I thought with the new wheels you weren't going to have to draft as much!!

Just kidding, great race and can't wait to hear more gory details.

Adios
Dave

2006-06-26 1:38 PM

Pro
Andover
Well done buddy! Way to stick with your plan and throw down an impressive time. You should be STOKED!

Sorry to hear of the penalty.
2006-06-26 9:25 PM

Champion

Wow, nice race Chris, smoking fast on the bike!  Someday I gotta sign up to do this one too, it sounds like a great time!

2006-06-26 9:26 PM

User image

Champion
MA

<<After last year's race, where the temps hit the mid-90's and I suffered through the run, I vowed I would come back and exact some revenge. Well I think I did that.>>

Wow revenge big time!

Chris awesome race..you were strong the whole race....loved your mental part of your report as you kept smart thinking!

Congrats on a well executed race!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Tupper Lake Tinman Rss Feed