General Discussion Triathlon Talk » How long after Ironman is it acceptable to be a couch potato? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2012-11-29 4:09 PM

User image

Regular
Subject: How long after Ironman is it acceptable to be a couch potato?
I'm almost 2 weeks out from my first Ironman (Arizona), and I'm still feeling like a couch potato.  How long is it acceptable to act this way?  What are the rest of you IMAZ folks doing?  It feels awfully lazy after a year of killing it to get prepared!

2012-11-29 4:16 PM
in reply to: #4515374

User image

Pro
NorCal
Subject: RE: How long after Ironman is it acceptable to be a couch potato?

I didn't IMAZ this year, but have done 7 IMs.  I always get right back into some exercise after I race.  After Canada this year, I didn't look at my bike for 3 weeks, but I did yoga,. ran, swam, hiked and lifted during those 3 weeks.  Nothing wrong with taking a break from S/B/R, but maybe this is a great time to try something new!  Maybe Xfit or yoga, something you have wanted to try but didn't have the time for during IM training.

2012-11-29 9:34 PM

User image

Expert
Detroit, MI. Kinda.

I was itching to workout 2 days after IMAZ.  Too sore to, but I really wanted to.  I waited until the Monday after to hit some weights. First run was 2 days ago, but my HR was really high for an easy run after just 3 miles so I bagged it.  Today 3 miles went much easier.

2012-11-29 10:30 PM

Master
Northern IL

jennitris - 2012-11-29 4:09 PM I'm almost 2 weeks out from my first Ironman (Arizona), and I'm still feeling like a couch potato.  How long is it acceptable to act this way?  What are the rest of you IMAZ folks doing?  It feels awfully lazy after a year of killing it to get prepared!

If there is no injury to take care of then at this point you should be fine easing back into it. Take several weeks to build your training level back up, at least. It's fine if you don't want anything regular for longer than that.

2012-11-29 10:55 PM

User image

Veteran
Morgan Hill, California

I know how you are feeling somewhat.  I did Arizona too, this year.  I can get motivated to run and even swim, because they are outside, but the idea of getting on the trainer for some weekday rides is very difficult to take right now.  I'm planning that next week the willingness to sit on the trainer again does come back to me.

But don't worry about it, I think.  We did an Ironman!  I think that earns some time off if that is what you want!

2012-11-30 4:50 AM

User image

Veteran
austin, Texas
I gained 30lbs after my first IM in 30 days (incl. Xmas and thanksgiving) by maintaining my pre IM eating regime (I love food!) and not doing ANY exercise. I worked too hard for 6 months and was flat out exhausted come race day, and was pretty sick of training by the end.Not recommending that approach, but I'd suggest taking as much time off as you need to recharge. You earned it. That being said, it is really difficult to get fat/slow after being SO fit.... if you have the motivation tO keep workin out/ keep building..that would be great

Edited by matcrawf 2012-11-30 4:51 AM

2012-11-30 7:22 AM

User image

Veteran
I did IMAZ this year and actually ran a turkey trot 5 miler on Thanksgiving....was an easy run, but even if I wanted to go faster body was not gonna let it happen. I hit the weights on Tuesday this week than ran a 3 miler on Weds, wieghts on thursday and than ran a 1 miler at an easy pace..... and I will continue to build from there...I think it depends on the person and how well your body recovers....take your time adn dont rush it...
2012-11-30 8:17 AM

User image

Expert
After I did IMFL in 2010 I only took a week off before I started running again.  I did ok, but kind of regret not giving myself more time.  So, after having just done IMAZ this year, I told myself two weeks of whatever.  I've mostly been walking the dog, doing light weights and yoga.  I haven't done any swim, bike or run yet.  I plan to do a short (30 min) run this weekend and start building back up.  I'll probably hit the pool next week as well and get in some kind of routine for the winter months.
2012-11-30 10:19 AM

User image

Veteran
Smithfield, VA

I started running again on day 6.  Slow and easy runs for the most part.  Haven't seen my bike since I gave it to the catcher on race day.  (Wife delivered it to TriBike Transport for me before I finished the run.

Talking to my buddy last night who did IMNY - he hasn't gotten off the couch yet. 

2012-11-30 10:58 AM

User image

Boulogne Billancourt

I did IM Frankfurt in July. I found that two weeks after I was happy to get back into the pool but not much else. It wasn't so much the physical tiredness but the mental fatigue. After months and months of maintaining an iron discipline and will - managing three kids (single mum), and working full time - getting up at 4:45 to train blah... blah... I was just psychologically worn out. 

Maybe this is similar to your case? 

Lynn

2012-11-30 12:15 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran

I did almost nothing for about a year after my first IM.  Sometimes I would get 2-3 runs in a week, then I wouldn't run for 2-3 weeks.  I didn't get on my bike for a year.  I know now that I suffered what I call IronBurnout from going couch potato to IM in under 3 years without more than 1 day off and I needed to recharge.  I am paying for it now as I struggle to get my HM and marathon times back to pre-IM levels.  

I am not in a position to recommend anything, but what I would do different next time around is register for a few races to get me motivated enough to keep some of my fitness.  

Good luck.

2012-11-30 12:24 PM

User image

Regular
United States
I did IMAZ this year. First IM for me. I've decided to give myself two weeks of nothing. I'm already feeling the need to get back after it in some capacity, so the timing should be perfect. I'll start working out over the next 2-3 weeks before starting back up with a planned training schedule in the end of Dec. I'm starting the year off with the La marathon in March.
2012-11-30 2:36 PM

User image

Veteran
South Windsor, CT

it is not only acceptable, but encouraged, to rest after IM...you need to heal up all that microinjury and even if your body is somewhat ready to go, take enough time to completely recover and recharge your mental batteries

it's a long year...

i would suggest that a month of low impact, low energy training would be the best for the body-unless you've got other goals that you want to hit before the end of the year

periodization is quite  important and after racing comes recovery, but it is different for everyone

some people recover quickly and some need a lot more time, so take enough time so that you are anxious to train again with a body that is fully recovered

2012-11-30 2:50 PM

User image

Champion
Evergreen, Colorado

Personally I think the answer is a month.  After a month you should really be ready to move again. :D  You definitely need a break from training (as an age grouper...pros are different...two days after Kona I saw Rinny running on Ali'i drive...) and I think most people make the mistake of not taking long enough.

I fully tested the "how long can you stand" theory after IMFL in 2010 because I literally had major surgery 3 days after the race (I still had chafe marks).  So I did NOTHING but putter around the house and sit on the couch surfing the net or watching TV...My tipping point was 3 weeks.   At 3 weeks I REALLY wanted to work out.  Of course, I couldn't....I was banned from doing ANYTHING for 6-8 weeks, but I finally *wanted* to do something at 3 weeks.

So, that's MY tipping point.  Everyone will be different.

After Kona I had no injuries or surgery so I started back up after two weeks.  And that first few weeks I didn't lean on myself too hard. 

2012-12-02 8:41 PM

User image

Expert
A little slice of paradise

I say Do what you feel like doing even if it is not S/B/R. I depends on what your goals are too.  I did AZ this year also. The week after Ironman is active recovery, second week short and easy bike, swim, runs for 'fun', and this week back at it not full throttle but getting there.

It just depends on the person too. I listen to my body, if it says I am tired then I rest, and I make sure  eat well. I indulge on that Monday than it is back to watching what I eat.  

2012-12-03 8:37 AM

User image

Expert
Cincinnati

I ran for the first time today since Cozumel (8 days ago). I felt great for .5 miles. Then I ran up a hill and my lungs were killing me after that. My legs wanted to go faster but I was breathing like a 2-pack-a-day smoker. Made it 3 miles. Felt like 26.

I'm going to try to go back to master swim tomorrow night, although I'm going to be honest, it's mostly to wear my IM swim cap and show off. I'll probably move to a slower lane and take it easy at masters.

It's hard because I see my friends doing races and high mileage and I want to do it too, but they didn't just do an IM either! I have no patience.

I have a gift certificate for a few trx classes so I'm going to try those, too. Something different. I have super toned legs and shoulders and lats from all the IM training, but I still have abs of flab so maybe I should work on some toning there.

2012-12-09 11:37 AM

User image

Elite
Alturas, California
About a month break is good with maybe some walking and short stuff in there.  It kind of depends on how fast you recover.
2012-12-11 3:46 PM

Regular

I think the two most difficult aspects of long distance races are A) avoiding injury and B) finding motivation to begin working out after your race is over.  

2012-12-12 9:25 PM

User image

Expert
Last year I went on a cruise the Sat following IMFL so all I did was a little treadmill running and stationary bike. After 2 weeks I was back into my normal routine but much less intensity and distance. As for the bike it took almost a month to get back on it

This year I started back almost right away. The Tuesday after my IM I was in boot camp. The Sat after I went for a fun ride. What a difference. We even stopped for coffee halfway through. So even though I was riding right away it wasn't a training ride. Back to my same schedule of sbr but at a lot lower intensity. If I did t keep my schedule I'd eat way too much!

Do what is right for you.
Enjoy
Duane
2013-01-14 12:12 PM

Veteran

didnt read any other reply than the OP but I shall chime in....

It has been 15 months for me. And I am still a couch potato.  I didnt sit completely....completed some tri's and half marathons this year.  But it was not the same for me. A regular sprint/OLY tri has done nothing to me.

IN the last 6 months though...i have slowly started to build back up but yea. Im lazy

2013-02-08 5:47 AM
in reply to: #4577631

User image

here's to being a lazy triathlete.  My official training routine doesn't start for another 2 weeks...planning to eat as much potato chips and ice cream in preparation...

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » How long after Ironman is it acceptable to be a couch potato? Rss Feed