Laguna Phuket Triathlon
35C / 95F
Sunny
Total Time = 3h 05m 6s
Overall Rank = 46/693
Age Group = M45-49
Age Group Rank = 4/99
Pre-race routine:

The LPT is a great race that brings out the Asian based triathlon expatriates so you see the same friends, neighbors and co-workers at the race each year. There was a strong showing from the PROs - McCormick, Lieto, Granger, etc. This give the race a nice vib. I traveled down to Phuket with a training buddy and stayed at the Laguna complex. I ran into some old friends from Switzerland which was a real treat. The pre-race pasta party was great with a wide range of tri friends in attendance.

Woke up at 3am. Had some breakfast. Went back to bed. Woke up at 4:30am and started the process of getting ready. Made my way to T1 a little after 5am. Completed the set-up of transition and then took the small ferry over to the start at 6am. Hung out on the beach with friends waiting of the start of the race. The weather looked like it was going to hold up which was good news.
Swim
  • 26m 31s
  • 1800 meters
  • 01m 28s / 100 meters
Comments:

I had a good start coming from the right side of the course. Got into the water and away from the pack with out any contact. I picked up three guys who were drafting me, but that was fine. We were the second wave in the race and it only took about 500m before we started running into the stragglers from the first wave. The first wavers were spread out enough that it really did not interfere with the swim too much. I lead the second wave for most of the ocean swim but eventually the three draftees made a move to pass. I lost contact with them as we crossed the beach, but stayed on their heels during the lagoon swim.

Did manage to catch-up with my training buddy from wave1 as we exited the water (see photo). Bragging rights for the next month :) Finished 2nd in my AG and 19th overall for the swim. A nice performance.
What would you do differently?:

Nothing. Good swim.
Transition 1
  • 02m 14s
Comments:

Slow transition as usual. AHR160.
Bike
  • 1h 36m 46s
  • 55 kms
  • 34.10 km/hr
Comments:

Having just finished a 3 week business trip (sans velo) I was a little worried about the bike. I took it easy-ish up the hills. Fortunately I had an 11-28 on the back which really saved me on the steep sections. I rode mostly alone for the first 1/2, but started to collect some riders around me during the second half. There was some drafting but nothing too egregious.

Stuck to the nutrition plan of 70gr of carbs/hr, watched the fluid in take and kept the cadence in the upper 70s. All in all it turned out to be a well executed bike leg. Could have gone sub 1:35 on a perfect day with more training.
Transition 2
  • 01m 49s
Comments:

AHR149. Took the time to put socks and calf sleeves on.
Run
  • 57m 47s
  • 12 kms
  • 04m 49s  min/km
Comments:

Since I was still on the path to recovery from a torn calf I had not been running much, so I opted to meter the run. The golf course was a little soft and squishy, which made the run a little more challenging. A decent run.
Post race
What limited your ability to perform faster:

Travel.

Event comments:

This is a great race. A lot of people come and do the LPT during the first week followed by the 70.3 the following weekend. A great idea if you are traveling from Europe, Australia or the US.

Profile Album

Last updated: 2012-10-24 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:26:31 | 1800 meters | 01m 28s / 100meters
Age Group: 2/99
Overall: 19/693
Performance: Good
AHR 162.
Suit:
Course: 1.2K triangle in the sea followed by a short run over the beach and then a 600m swim in a lagoon to T1.
Start type: Run Plus: Waves
Water temp: 28C / 82F Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Below average
Waves: Good Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 02:14
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
01:36:46 | 55 kms | 34.10 km/hr
Age Group: 8/99
Overall: 75/693
AHR 152, MHR168
Wind: Little
Course: Steep hills in the first 15K followed by some rollers on the back 40K.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 76
Turns: Good Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:49
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Average
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
00:57:47 | 12 kms | 04m 49s  min/km
Age Group: 9/99
Overall: 88/693
6K in 28:30 (AHR154), second 6K in 29:17 (AHR158)
Course: Two loops on a golf course.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2012-11-30 8:17 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Brambleton, VA
Subject: Laguna Phuket Triathlon

2012-11-30 11:15 AM
in reply to: #4516039

User image

Melon Presser
Subject: RE: Laguna Phuket Triathlon

I had to read your report 3x before I figured out what AHR meant in transition ...

... good thing your reports are shorter than mine.

Awesome job, super placing, especially on a bum calf!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Laguna Phuket Triathlon Rss Feed