Opelousas, Louisiana
United States
USA Events Management, LLC
Total Time = 1h 20m 35s
Overall Rank = 44/58
Age Group = 20-24
Age Group Rank = 4/5
Pre-race routine:

1. I am using the time off my Garmin - the race people have combined T1 and the bike, and then T2 and the run - that is not how I want to look at things, I know my T-times are slow. - Swim time is official swim time.

Out of bed at 5:30 - Race site at 6 - Ate about 2 bites of bagel and 2 bites of Clif bar.
Event warmup:

Short 5-10 minute jog. We got there fairly early - thought I was racking up in the front rack - I mean there WAS a sign that said "exit" - ended up being the run exit not the bike exit so I again had to run a long ways in my shoes with my bike

Hadn't been nervous all week, but when we get to the pool area I start to get nervous about everyone watching me swim.....after a few people started swimming I realized noone is really watching anyone in the pool.
Swim
  • 03m 28s
  • 150 yards
  • 02m 19s / 100 yards
Comments:

OMG - I don't know what! happened here :( Well I guess I do know. It was a TT start - I was number 77 - I was very excited about this swim since it was in a pool. But the reality of a pool triathlon swim is completely different than I thought it would be. I was NOT prepared for this. It's my turn so I hop in the pool - well, apparently the pool is not shallow on this end, and I go straight to the bottom - I was completely not expecting this and I freak and take a breath of water in - not a good way to start. He said go and I was still trying to catch some air from my trip to the bottom of the pool, but I start swimming. I could not catch my breath, and I got to the end of the lane and had to switch lanes, that is not as easy as it sounds either. I did not push off of ANY walls with this swim, which can account for my slow performance as well. Another thing that freaked me out was when I would swim to the deep end - I don't know why but I freaked out much like I did when I OWS the first time. I also did not expect it to be so choppy in the pool. It was very choppy and that was freaking me out too. With it only being 150 yards I did not have time to get used to everything that went wrong with this swim, but now I know for next time.

It's not like I can't handle any of those things, choppy, etc, but it was just so unexpected. I don't know what I thought it was going to be but that was not it - I am taking it as a learning experience. This was only my second triathlon, so I still have a lot to learn.
What would you do differently?:

Let my brain process - "diving board = deep end"
Transition 1
  • 00m
Comments:

Slow - don't know the time since it was combined with my bike time

Shot a whole gel

Need to become more comfortable with what I'm doing and that takes practice. - I think I'm also using the T times as a breather
Bike
  • 48m 16s
  • 13.79 miles
  • 17.14 mile/hr
Comments:

Overall womens - top 63%

Man, I am really beginning to enjoy cycling I think - I think b/c of the 3 sports it seems to be the one I do the best in on race day. I'm using the data from my garmin not the offical race times (they include t1) This was a PR for my bike speed 17.1 - I really think my base builder is paying off - gonna have to send Coach Troy a fruit basket or something. This ride was hard - there was about a 2 mile stretch of REALLY bad road - right along the interstate. I am pretty good at leaving it all out on the race course - I really feel like I did that today. I am actually very proud of myself tonight, it's weird. Drank my whole aerobottle. Just the right amount of water consumption too.

of course i need to keep working on my bike base.
Transition 2
  • 00m
Comments:

Pretty fast T2 here, shot half a gel grabbed water bottle and went on to the run.
Run
  • 24m 43s
  • 2 miles
  • 12m 22s  min/mile
Comments:

Man, I'm slow as a snail - ooo....maybe I'll get a snail screenprinted on all my tri shorts!!

I started out felt good, looked at my watch and saw 10 min/miles - I made myself slow down as I didn't want to die or anything, I slowed, ended up doing a 14ish min/mile pace. Saw Chris!! I love seeing Chris on the race course - so good to see a familiar face out there with me still doing the race. After I left Chris I walked for about 100 yards to calm my breathing. The second mile I felt great.

This run was slower than both the Louisiana Tri and the Opelousas Duathlon.

As I was crossing the finish line I hear a group of people "Go Brandy" I turn around to see my fellow BR Tri Club members, man I have to just say - I love having people cheering me in. They won't know how much I appreciated that.

I just need to run more in training.
Post race
Warm down:

walked around had water, gatorade, a banana, and a couple of bites of Jambalya.

TheBear won a doorprize, and he won 2nd in his age group!! And his BT trisuit looked great nice vibrant colors without being too flashy. Mamabear was there as resident photographer - Thanks Angel for catching a pic of me on the bike!!! I can't wait to get all the pics from the day.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

The unexpected swim. I think that got to my head - I've always been a faster swimmer than John and today he beat me....

Event comments:

I liked this race. Only a few things I didn't like - I like timing chips (they did not have chips), they should have started us on the shallow end, and the bumpy service road.

I love that there was food for me when I was done - I also love love love that they had size small race shirts.

But this was their 2nd year and put on to benefit the local boy scouts, so all of that is acceptable.

I love love love that they had enough jambalya for me!!!

They were pushing off yams on everyone though

Last updated: 2006-05-04 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:03:28 | 150 yards | 02m 19s / 100yards
Age Group: 4/5
Overall: 32/58
Performance: Bad
Suit:
Course: Snake in an outdoor pool. One side shallow the other deep
Start type: Inside Pool Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Bad Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 00:00
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
00:48:16 | 13.79 miles | 17.14 mile/hr
Age Group: 3/5
Overall: 37/58
Performance:
Average HR - 191 Max HR - 198
Wind:
Course: Mostly nice - some nice shade in the beginning/middle of the course.
Road:  Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:00
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:24:43 | 02 miles | 12m 22s  min/mile
Age Group: 5/5
Overall: 55/58
Performance: Below average
Average HR - 188 Max. HR - 203
Course: Through a neighborhood
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2006-06-25 6:41 PM

Expert
New Orleans, LA
Subject: Yam City Triathlon

2006-06-25 6:55 PM
in reply to: #465143

User image

COURT JESTER
ROCKFORD, IL
Subject: RE: Yam City Triathlon

Way to get it done.  

If you send Coach Troy anything let me know I'll as to the gift basket.  Lived on Spinerval over the winter. 

2006-06-25 7:15 PM

Extreme Veteran
Sweeet! Great job out there today. Sorry about you "going off the deep end" :D Like you said, only the second one... You did great and you're only getting better! Congrats!
2006-06-25 9:00 PM

User image

Master
Gulf Shores, AL
Great race and an exceptional bike. 17 mph's is awesome. You do a good job in your reports, love the detail!
2006-06-25 9:53 PM

User image

Elite
Hattiesburg, Mississippi
Awesome race Brandy.  For only your second one and some of the unexpected events.  You did awesome.  To save you some time, not sure you need to be shooting gels in the T1 & T2 since it is a sprint.  Maybe do some gatorade or something in your bottle and the should be enough.  Way to leave it all out there.  I love to see people push hard during a sprint.  Just like you should.
2006-06-26 6:35 AM

User image

Expert
McKinney, TX
Brandy, congrats on the race!  Despite the pitfalls, I know you had a smile on your face and a song in your heart the whole (damn) time!   Glad you got your bike action shot!

2006-06-26 1:10 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Denham Springs

Grats on the Yam!  Nice try to rack up close

Concerning the Yams...just be glad they didnt make yall eat one before the race

2006-06-26 1:41 PM

User image

Resident Curmudgeon
The Road Back
Gold member

Another great job Brandy. Good to see you and John again.

Watch you don't get hooked on that cycling thing or you'll ruin those "soft" legs!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Yam City Triathlon Rss Feed