Tough Mudder
72F / 22C
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 15m
Overall Rank = /
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Preworkout drink , french toast, yogurt, and bananas!
Post race
Warm down:

OBSTACLE LIST
So, after sitting in the car for 2+ hours to go 5 miles, my team (7 of us) and I finally made it to the event. We parked a good mile away from the starting area. Our 9:20 start time turned into an 11:45 a.m. start time once we were finally signed in, marked up, and ready to go.
There were about 100 people that started in the 11:45 a.m wave and we were in front of the group.

1.Kiss Of Mud #1 - A low crawl under wires through mud and water. Pretty easy.

2.Underwater Tunnels - Yes, in true fashion I panicked after swimming under the first set of barrels. I attribute this due to the fact that I am 5' tall and while everyone else could reach the ground I could not. Nonetheless, one of my teammates helped me swim under the next two. Grateful that chivalry and teamwork still exists. I did hope that this was not a premonition of how I would do on the rest of the course.

3.Log Jammin - Climbed over 6' tall wall of logs, then crawl under a log 2' from ground. Repeat about 5x to get through. Not too bad, but I did feel it in my legs just a bit.

4.Mud Mile #1 - Run a mile through the mud, what can I say. Shoes got heavy and just hoped I would not fall. Two of our teammates fell back at this point and we didn't see them till the end.

5.Arctic Enema - This is one challenge TM is famous for. Jump into a freezing tub of ice water with lots of ice on the top; swim under a barrier in the middle and then pull yourself out of the other end. While it only takes about 20 seconds to get through this, it is a very cold and long 20 seconds.

6.Mud Mile #2 - Run another mile through mud. After jumping into freezing water I felt kind of refreshed and felt a second wind in my legs. Probably the easiest mile.

7.Boa Constrictor - Crawl Downhill through 2' round pipes. This was pretty easy since they sloped down. The second set was uphill and they had ropes inside to help you pull yourself through.

8.Cliffhanger - Climb up a 40'+ cliff of mud at a 45* angle. The cliff didn't seem that high and wasn't too muddy. So, my teammates and I made it up and over without needing to help one another.

9.Berlin Walls #1- Oh yes, there were my most favorite. Nothing like climbing over a vertical wall when you are 5' tall and have no jump skills. Thankfully, my 6'1" tall team captain gave me a boost. Once I could reach the top I was able to pull myself over the wall. It wasn't until the next day that I would feel the bruises in my hands and elbows from pulling myself over the walls.

10.Electric Eel - Low crawl through dangling electric wires. I made it through this one easily and did not get zapped. However, several of my teammates got shocked.

11.Hold Your Wood - This is where we get to pick up a log and carry it half a mile. I sure didn't feel the need to prove something, so I picked up a little log. The hardest part about this obstacle is making sure you don't knock anyone out when you pick up a log or throw one back on the stack.

12.Lumberjacked - 5' high logs that you had to jump over. I used the sawhorses as a ladder and made it over all three. Yes, I did get some laughs from my teammates and others... but hey there weren't any rules that said I couldn't do it that way.

13.Mud Mile #3 - Run another mile through mud. Yeah, my legs were feeling it at this point.

14.Ballshrinker- Traverse a rope across a pond. This one kind of sucked, probably because it was so easy. The water was the perfect temperature so all I did was lay on my back and used my arms to pull me across. Kind of refreshing.

15.Walk The Plank - Climb up and jump off 15+ feet into water. I didn't know I had a fear of height until I got up here and had to jump. I tried not to think about it and just went for it. Again, the water wasn't too cold.

16.Berlin Walls #2 - Oh joy, climb over 12' wall. Again, much thanks to my team captain for the boost. When I got to the top of this one my right calf muscle knotted up like a baseball. I had to sit up top for about 30 seconds while I did some circles with my foot. I was glad that I was able to keep running once my feet hit the ground.

17.Kiss Of Mud #2 - Low crawl under wires in mud. An easy one for me; I got out in front of my team since I finished this first and jogged slowly so my right calf wouldn't knot up on me.

18.Mud Mile #4 - Another mile of mud to run through... except I am pretty sure there was no mud along this mile.

19.Wounded Warrior Carry - Okay, I was totally a spoiled girl on this one. I got carried 100' by one teammate, then another teammate offered to carry me the next 100'. I am so not gonna complain.

20.Trench Warfare- Crawl through pitch black tunnels that make turns. I'm not claustrophobic but one of my teammates was. We kept talking the whole way through and made it through just fine.

21.Funky Monkey - Monkey bars. I didn't do this one. Due to separated shoulder and a broken wrist in the past I knew I would be in the water in no time and didn't want to slow my team down.

22.Balls To The Wall - Grab a rope and climb over a 25+ high wall. Use the rope to let yourself down the other side. If you are scared of heights this one will get you. I did well and was surprised by my upper body strength.

23.Everest- Another famous TM obstacle. Run up a 15' quarter pipe. Our team captain got himself up there without any problem. I was able to run up it the first time and grab my team captain's hand. From there, my teammates pretty much yanked me over without a problem. Grateful for strong teammates.

24.Electroshock Therapy - Out of the seven of us, my team captain and I were the only ones to get shocked. We both got shocked twice. I got shocked on my right shoulder twice. My shoulder muscle is still tight and I think it shocked all through my cavity filled teeth, as my fillings feel a little sensitive two days later.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

I drank too many beers the night before!

Event comments:

This was an awesome race and I had a blast with my teammates. Next time, I will not run a 13 mile + long run 3 days before a TM, nor will I have a few drinks with the fellas the night before.

Profile Album

Last updated: 2012-09-26 12:00 AM
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2012-12-03 11:09 AM

User image

Veteran
Cairo, GA
Subject: Tough Mudder Florida

2012-12-04 6:38 PM
in reply to: #4519372

User image

Extreme Veteran
Tallahassee, Florida
Subject: RE: Tough Mudder Florida

Great Race Report!!!!  I've seen videos of TM but they didn't explain all of the obstacles.  Love the way that you explained all of them.  It's great the way that they have obstacles set up that play to the strengthes/weaknesses of being tall/short or strong/flexible.  In our Warrior Dash, I could do the things that required flexibility while I fell behind DH on the strength obstacles.  So you had an advantage on some of the obstacles because of your 5' but then, your strength came in handy on those whopping 6'+ walls.  So glad that it was a good experience.  I'm impressed with your whole team covering that much ground so quickly.  Rest and recover (and taper) for your HM.

As for #12 (Lumberjacked), cross 'em any way you can.  I heard someone say in the WD. "If you aren't cheating, you are aren't trying hard enough."

Edited by Pink Socks 2012-12-04 6:51 PM
2012-12-05 11:30 AM
in reply to: #4522057

User image

Veteran
Cairo, GA

Thank you! Thank you! I remember reading another person's review of a previous TM which proved to be very helpful in helping me prepare for my TM and is the reason I wrote up a review. I was shocked at how many people did not keep refueling at each water station. This is one event you need to continuously consume calories to keep going. I can't wait to do another one!

Pink Socks - 2012-12-04 7:38 PM

Great Race Report!!!!  I've seen videos of TM but they didn't explain all of the obstacles.  Love the way that you explained all of them.  It's great the way that they have obstacles set up that play to the strengthes/weaknesses of being tall/short or strong/flexible.  In our Warrior Dash, I could do the things that required flexibility while I fell behind DH on the strength obstacles.  So you had an advantage on some of the obstacles because of your 5' but then, your strength came in handy on those whopping 6'+ walls.  So glad that it was a good experience.  I'm impressed with your whole team covering that much ground so quickly.  Rest and recover (and taper) for your HM.

As for #12 (Lumberjacked), cross 'em any way you can.  I heard someone say in the WD. "If you aren't cheating, you are aren't trying hard enough."

Edited by jenbmosley 2012-12-05 11:31 AM
2012-12-10 11:14 AM
in reply to: #4519372

User image

Expert
Tallahassee
GREAT race...YOU ARE TOUGH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Tough Mudder Florida Rss Feed