General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Bike Transport Question: From San Francisco Airport to Downtown Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2012-12-03 5:35 PM

User image

New user

Ottawa
Subject: Bike Transport Question: From San Francisco Airport to Downtown

Does anyone have any suggestions about transporting a bike, in a travel case, from the airport to the downtown area of San Francisco? Can I expect to find a cab at the international terminal taxi stand that can accomodate my bike case or should I reserve a cab (if they do that) in advance?

I imagine returning from the hotel to the airport will be fairly straight forward; its just getting out of the airport that I am dealing with at the moment. Lastly, any cab company recommendations?

Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

2012-12-03 7:26 PM
in reply to: #4520138

User image

Veteran
Massachusetts
Subject: RE: Bike Transport Question: From San Francisco Airport to Downtown
Not sure what airline you are flying but if it is not bike friendly; charging more than $50; how about fedex it to your hotel. I used bikeflights.com(fedex reseller) for my last two IMs.  Awesome not having to drag it around the airport.
2012-12-04 1:24 PM

User image

Champion
Evergreen, Colorado

If you decide to just go with a taxi there will typically be some larger ones like vans that can take a bike case. 

I recommend a shuttle though and be VERY clear that you have large baggage.  I thought I was clear enough when I made the reservation that I had a large bag and the shuttle almost refused to take me because they didn't think they would have enough room for all the patrons and their luggage with my bike case in there. 

Shuttles also typically charge a flat rate to a certain area as well...vs. cabs which the final charge could vary.

2012-12-04 9:33 PM

User image

New user

Ottawa

Thanks for the input, I definitely appreciate it.

From what I could determine Bikeflights.com starts at $365 compared to oversize baggage fees of $150 with Air Canada. I also checked out Tribike transport through Sports Basement but they probably can't accomodate Canadian bikes unfortunatley. I may be stuck with packing light and dragging the Thule case around with me. Good thing its on wheels! I imagine a shuttle is the most economical way to go and there's bound to be one at the terminal at some point; I just may have to wait a bit longer to get where I'm headed I guess.

2012-12-05 12:13 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
If you have time, I think FedEx/UPS only charges $50; however I don't know about international. A reserved shuttle would be the easiest way to get downtown; that's what I did last time I was n SFO and I think it was only $15. Good luck!
2012-12-05 5:58 AM
in reply to: #4522335

User image

Payson, AZ

tstl - 2012-12-04 11:13 PM If you have time, I think FedEx/UPS only charges $50; however I don't know about international. A reserved shuttle would be the easiest way to get downtown; that's what I did last time I was n SFO and I think it was only $15. Good luck!

FedEx/UPS is dependent on the size of the case.  I have never heard anyone managing to get a bike shipped that method for only $50 though.  The other downside to shipping it vs taking it on the plane is your without your bike for much longer.  Might not matter to some though

2012-12-05 7:11 AM

User image

Pro
, New Hampshire
Call an airport shuttle company and ask them if they will be able to fit it (and have the dimensions ready before you call....). They're usually using van's, but the trunk space is fairly limited.

The other option would be to call a taxi company (or limo company) and arrange a pick up at the airport with a minivan. Let me know that you are bringing a large bag (and give them the dimensions), so they can have the rear seat folded down before arriving.

At the airport, you should be able to find a larger taxi (minivan or SUV) in the taxi line... you may have to wait a bit for it though (they usually use those for larger groups and they usually have a surcharge).

Edited by audiojan 2012-12-05 7:12 AM
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Bike Transport Question: From San Francisco Airport to Downtown Rss Feed