General Discussion Race Reports! » HITS National Championship: Palm Springs - Sprint Course Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

HITS National Championship: Palm Springs - Sprint Course - Aquabike

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
La Quinta, California
United States
HITS Triathlon Series
70F / 21C
Sunny
Total Time = 53m 24s
Overall Rank = /239
Age Group = aquabike
Age Group Rank = 0/16
Pre-race routine:

I won the aquabike(!) but since I was the only sprint participant, I included the numbers here for all the sprinters in the swim and bike sections.

I did the usual for a Palm Springs area tri and got up an hour before getting to transition. It was an easy drive and transition was still pretty empty a half hour after opening. I racked, walked the swim area, and figured out which hill to sight on swimming toward the sun.
Event warmup:

I just ran a little on the lawn near transition and swam a few few 50s before the gun.
Swim
  • 15m 28s
  • 820 yards
  • 01m 53s / 100 yards
Comments:

My overall rank was 65 of 239 total sprinters. My pace was 1:53/100yds.

I did a little planning, wearing dark goggles since we swam straight into the rising sun, and picked some landmarks to sight with each way. I did my best to pick a line to avoid the densest part of the crowd.

The swim was warm for a wetsuit, and almost too warm by the end. I'd been in the lake the previous Friday and knew that more than one cap was too warm - a very nice surprise since I'd panicked that I'd left my neoprene caps up the coast.

This was the most crowded swim start ever for me, with all of the sprint guys funneling between two start buoys. I was comfortable with the washing machine, and had a fair amount of contact for a few hundred yards. I did try to swim outside the crowd early on, but it was still crowded.

By the turn back, I finally felt comfortable with my stroke and breathing. I sighted on and swam a line to the far buoy, and noticed that most people near me swam the curve made by the buoys. I felt good the whole way, still trying to pass guys on the way to shore. Loved it. Even though I was slower than I wanted to be, it was nice to be in shape for this.
What would you do differently?:

There's not much I can think of to do differently.
Transition 1
  • 02m 55s
Comments:

T1 was uneventful. We ran from the lake to the far end of transition, then to the racked bikes. My wetsuit came off easily enough, a lot better than the one I used to have problems with.

I ran with the bike fairly well, and did a running mount for the first time since Oceanside! I'm glad it worked!

As always, my key to a faster transition is to run fast.
Bike
  • 35m 1s
  • 12.43 miles
  • 21.30 mile/hr
Comments:

Okay, I've put what little time I've had into swimming, but this bike leg showed that I'm a cyclist:) I only rode 40 miles a week the previous month and hadn't been on the TT bike for a long time, so was thrilled at this ride. I plucked people off the whole way, and the only draft pack that came by me near the end got dropped again at the top of the hill on the way to the gate like seems to happen for me at this venue. No one passed me.

I'm pumped that I did so well, especially since I'm not nearly as strong now that work has gotten in the way of triathlons. Since the Desert tri and Oceanside are just a few months away, I'll start riding twice a week so I can get my speed back up.
Post race
Warm down:

I just hung out and waited for my buddy in the Olympic aquabike to finish.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

It's funny, not much.

Event comments:

The HITS guys did a good job, and it looks like they'll continue to improve.

Last updated: 2012-06-16 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:15:28 | 820 yards | 01m 53s / 100yards
Age Group: 6/16
Overall: 65/239
Performance: Average
Suit: 19 Pipeline
Course: Out and back parallel to the shore.
Start type: Run Plus: Shot
Water temp: 62F / 17C Current:
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Average Drafting: Below average
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 02:55
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
00:35:01 | 12.43 miles | 21.30 mile/hr
Age Group: 4/16
Overall: 13/239
Wind: Little
Course: Out from the lake, right on Jackson for about three miles and back.
Road: Rough  Cadence: 90
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks:
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2012-12-03 8:47 PM

User image

Expert
Palm Springs, California
Subject: HITS National Championship: Palm Springs - Sprint Course

2012-12-04 10:40 AM
in reply to: #4520333

User image

Extreme Veteran
Subject: RE: HITS National Championship: Palm Springs - Sprint Course
Nice race!  :-)
2012-12-04 10:41 AM
in reply to: #4520333

User image

Extreme Veteran
Subject: RE: HITS National Championship: Palm Springs - Sprint Course
Nice race!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » HITS National Championship: Palm Springs - Sprint Course Rss Feed