General Discussion Triathlon Talk » First Tri AND First OWS Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2006-06-25 8:17 PM

User image

Veteran
Joplin, MO
Subject: First Tri AND First OWS

You know how they tell you NEVER to do something different on race day.  I tried to tell them that I'd never done an OWS before, but they wouldn't let me do the swim leg in a pool.

Regardless, I completed my first triathlon this morning.  It was a sprint distance and it was a GREAT feeling to finish.

This OWS thing...with people all around you.  How are you supposed to SWIM?  I tried to go out hard.  Just kept running into bodies and fighting to stay afloat - not much resembling an actual freestyle stroke.  I was fatigued VERY early on.  Technical problems with my goggles made sighting difficult, but that wasn't the main problem.  I just couldn't get free.

Is there strategy to overcome this?  Of course, I need to incorporate OWS into my training.  But, unless I can get a hundred or so of my training buddies to go with me, the best that will do is improve my sighting technique and give me more of the real continuous swim experience.  What to do about about somebody doing a breast stroke with a WIDE frog kick swimming in front of you...that's what I need to know.

2006-06-25 8:24 PM
in reply to: #465221

User image

Highlands Ranch, CO
Subject: RE: First Tri AND First OWS
Way to go! This is a great accomplishment for you. Keep training for the next one
2006-06-25 8:42 PM

User image

Congrats! 

As for the frog kicking breast stroker, just have good reflexes   not much you can do to trin for OWS in a group... except OWS in a group.  As long as you are confident in your swimming, and can hold a good strong line (good navigation), you'll do well

2006-06-25 9:45 PM

User image

Master
Canandaigua
Keep with freestyle.  It uses less legs energy.  Get some OWS sighting in. 
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » First Tri AND First OWS Rss Feed