California International Marathon
57F / 14C
Precipitation
Total Time = 3h 32m 11s
Overall Rank = 1046/6496
Age Group = W25-29
Age Group Rank = 50/378
Pre-race routine:

Was driven to the start by my uncle with my mom (who also ran). Waited in the car for awhile to hide from the rain and wind. Finally decided to drive to the drop-off point and then hid in one of the 330 port-o-potties for a bit. Jogged to an undercover spot under a building and looked at amazement at the conditions... driving rain and 30mph winds with gusts of 40+. Everyone around me looked like a deer caught in headlights. Are we REALLY gonna run in this?!

Decided it was time to shed the sweats so jogged down to the sweats bag drop off and then to the start. Found the 3:30 pace group and started near them.
Event warmup:

Not much, just jogging from one covered area to the next before finally relenting and accepting I was about to be drenched for the next 3.5 hours.
Run
  • 3h 32m 11s
  • 26.2 miles
  • 08m 06s  min/mile
Comments:

The gun sounded and everyone began pushing forward. I later learned that a downed power line on the left side of the road caused a bit of a detour for those lined up over there. I was on the right so I didn't notice, which is good because I was already intimidated by the conditions. People were running in garbage bags, hats were flying off heads, and everyone would let out an audible "WHOA!" every time a gust would blow us around. It was a very surreal experience.

Once we got going, I just went to work. I had planned on using my HR monitor because I knew pacing would be off with such bad weather. I tried to keep my HR around 165 regardless of hills and wind. The first half of this course is billed as rolling hills, though for each uphill there is a longer downhill accompanying it. I would work my way up each small hill (they're really nothing compared to the hills I train on in Seattle), and let it go down each downhill. I figured I could use as much help as I could get from gravity today.

Around mile 5, the course takes a left due South, which made the mostly crosswind a dead-on headwind instead. This was a bit demoralizing. I tried to keep in packs or behind larger runners. Each time I found myself alone, I would kick it up a notch to try to catch a pack in front of me. Lots of energy wasted here. This is also when the sky opened up with a completely new level of downpour. I read afterwards that an inch of rain fell in the 4 hours after 6am. Brilliant. Body glide over my entire foot and compression socks did their job, however, because I remained blister-free.

Somewhere around mile 7, my HR monitor began reading ridiculously low HRs. 130 up a hill, 70 down, 100 into the wind... I realized I would no longer be able to use it to gauge pace, and started to run by effort. I kept it at "comfortably hard" for the most part after that. I glanced at my watch frequently, though, because that 3:30 was what I really wanted. I had lost the 3:30 pacers quickly after the start. I'm guessing the pace leaders were not holding their signs up as sails today.

The wind died down a bit somewhere around mile 16-17, and the rain followed suit. It was still a bit stormy, but nothing like we had started with. I still felt alright at this point, kept chugging away. Around mile 20, I saw my uncle, and this gave the needed boost. With the thought "it's no farther than a short training run left!", I picked up the pace a bit. This part of the course is flat all the way to the finish. I started feeling hungry, which is very unusual for me. I'm normally trying to hang on to my stomach contents the last 10k of a marathon, but I could tell today was different. I had totally trashed my legs the first half, so my cardio system was still 100%, but my quads were done. I knew if I could just pick up the pace by 10-15 seconds per mile sub-3:30 was mine, but my legs just wouldn't cooperate. So I kept a steady pace the last 5k, passing plenty of people into the capital. Those last miles were painful, but the only way to remedy that is to FINISH FASTER! I had been counting blocks from 58th street, and the turn on 8th came oh so slowly. Just as I rounded the last block, the sun came out. How fitting.
What would you do differently?:

It would have been nice if the HR strap wouldn't have failed me. Though I'm not so sure how much that would have changed things. I really think the downhill course and my surging downhills and trying to find packs to run with wasted a lot more of my quad strength than necessary, but with a 4 second negative split, I can't be too picky. Next marathon I run, I want to have enough time to get a full 18 week training schedule in.
Post race
Warm down:

Chugged a chocolate milk as soon as I crossed the finish line. Found a guy we had been huddling under a building with at the start and commiserated. We had both felt we'd be right on the edge of BQing before the race and I was happy to discover we both had accomplished that goal. Weather be damned!

My mom ran a sub-4, which is a master's PR for her. This race is just under 6 minutes faster than my previous best, so it was an overall success.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Conditions, obviously. CIM places this year as the second worst weather they've experienced in 30 years. The worst being in 1987 when gusts of 70mph were recorded. The winner in that year said his singlet had been ripped by wind.

Training was incomplete. I only had about 9 good weeks of training after recovering from IM Canada.

Event comments:

This race was well organized despite the elements. There were a few aid stations that were not well staffed, but what can you expect with a big storm and an all-volunteer staff? I'd love to see this race during one of the good weather years, which I've heard is 90% of the time.

Last updated: 2012-09-11 12:00 AM
Running
03:32:11 | 26.2 miles | 08m 06s  min/mile
Age Group: 50/378
Overall: 1046/6496
Performance: Good
Course: Point-to-point from Folsom to the Sacramento capital building. Rolling hills for the first 15 miles, then mostly flat with a slight downhill the rest of the way.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? No
Plenty of drinks? No
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2012-12-04 4:58 PM

User image

Seattle, WA
Subject: California International Marathon

2012-12-05 1:02 PM
in reply to: #4521952

User image

Seattle
Subject: RE: California International Marathon

Ahhh man, all the way down for CA Intl. and you got Seattle weather?? At least you were probably more prepared than most!

Great effort anyway!

I'll probably be doing this marathon in the future. Would you do it again?

2012-12-05 3:10 PM

User image

Pro
wow.  you were able to PR and BQ in those conditions.  Imagine if you ran Tucson this weekend instead.  Perfect weather and a 2000ft descent over 26mi.
2012-12-06 11:00 AM
in reply to: #4523242

User image

Seattle, WA
Asalzwed - 2012-12-05 11:02 AM

Ahhh man, all the way down for CA Intl. and you got Seattle weather?? At least you were probably more prepared than most!

Great effort anyway!

I'll probably be doing this marathon in the future. Would you do it again?

Yep, I am cursed weather wise when it comes to travelling for marathons.  Next time you schedule a race, check my logs to be sure I won't be there as well or you'll be either freezing, roasting, or blowing away.

I would definitely do this race again.  I thought they were well organized (there's an impressive-looking 330 port-o-potties all in a row at the start called Port-o-Potty Nirvana), the course is really PR friendly, and I've heard the towns come out to support the race in force when the weather isn't awful.  Highly recommended.

2012-12-06 11:02 AM
in reply to: #4523469

User image

Seattle, WA

morey000 - 2012-12-05 1:10 PM wow.  you were able to PR and BQ in those conditions.  Imagine if you ran Tucson this weekend instead.  Perfect weather and a 2000ft descent over 26mi.

I read on the Runner's World forums that a lot of local people bailed on CIM in favor of Tucson due to the storm.  I didn't realize there was that much descent!  I bet my quads would have completely burst if I'd done any more downhill

2013-01-29 5:46 PM

User image

Expert
Excellent recap.  I couldn't believe we were actually racing at the start either. That was crazy. Congrats on the BQ and PR! Very impressive!!!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » California International Marathon Rss Feed