General Discussion Triathlon Talk » IMKY 5 weeks after wife's c-section? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2012-12-06 8:41 AM
in reply to: #4522038

Subject: RE: IMKY 5 weeks after wife's c-section?

Thanks for all the responses.  I know we have no idea what having the baby will be like, or what the training stacked on it will do, but I knew people out there did; hence me asking in the first place.

My wife and I both read through the whole thread and then talked about it again.  She is leaning more towards me not doing it now.  She is concerned about the training time immediately after the birth.  She did ask how flexible the training is, and if it could have a longer taper, or just in general what I could do there (she doesn't race, but is familiar with the plans).  I reminded her that I will have lots of extra vacation to use at the time, so its not me going to work + training.  Also, we are familiar with what her c-section recovery is going to be like.  She had a myomectomy a little over a year ago (reason for known c-section), the doctors told us the recovery was very simliar to a c-section recovery.  That part we know, but it could still be a lot different than that.

We have an appointment in a few weeks, so we aren't going to make any final decisions anytime soon.  Because everything would only happen towards the end, we also mentioned I sign up and get training going, then if things get rough, I don't do the race, if not we both go enjoy ourselves at the race with our new baby.  That one is a gamble, but at least we'd have both bases covered.

The biggest factor is impossible to predict that many of you have said that is completely unknown is just how her body is going to be acting at the end of the pregnancy, how its going to recover (shouldn't be bad), and how "good" the baby is.

Probably end up not doing it, which just makes me stressed because I'll need a whole new plan for races and training

Side note: I also talked to a lady at work who's husband did an IM while they had kids.  She recommened I find excuses NOT to be around during the later part of the 3rd trimester because of horomones.  She said her husband was in the wrong 95% of the time whether he was home or not...haha.

2012-12-06 9:09 AM

Fuzzy, you also need to be prepared for the possibility of the baby coming early. I can't tell you how many couples I know whose first-born arrived weeks early (including ours - 3 weeks early).And, yes, your doc is probably right about the recovery, but, again, it could take longer.

Also, every woman is different. So predicting hormonal behavior during and after the pregnancy is impossible until it happens.

Again, this is obviously your and your wife's decision. I think what a lot of us are trying to tell you is you have NO idea how much your life changes the instant a baby arrives. I had people tell me the same thing before we had kids, but it's impossible to understand until it happens to you.

2012-12-06 9:20 AM

I had a similar situation when my daughter was born, but it wasn't a tri, I had to take my engineer's licensure exam three weeks after she was born (wife also had to have c-section). I took those three weeks off from work so that I could study and help my wife out, but I was pretty much gone 4-5 hours per day studying. I just adjusted my schedule by getting up extra early and getting the bulk of my study time in while everyone was asleep so I could stilled be around most of the day. Newborns sleep, a lot, and so do new mothers. It will be tough to do, but not as tough as when your kid is one and is a lot more work. If you're worried about missing out on your kids' first five weeks, you will miss out on a whole lot more when your kid is one, has developed more of a personality, is just learning to walk, and now you have to train as well as work. I'm not going to recommend to you what to do, but if it were me, I would do it now and not wait another year.
2012-12-06 9:24 AM

And Congrats! To you and your wife.
2012-12-06 1:21 PM

Regular
Quincy
I did IMKY two years ago and had a great experiance. I am also a father to three boys. You cannot get back the time with your kids. Also this is time for you to be there with your wife. I could not imagine doing an IM and not having my wife waiting for me at the finish line. She sacraficed a lot for me to get to do the race and was a huge support system for me. I still wish we had taken the boys with us. I know that they would have been board the entire day, but not having them their when I finished made me realize that it was a team (family) effort and the entire family was not there. Why not train and to your own personal IMDADDY. You can always swim 2.4 bike 120 and run 26.2. That would be a cool way to celebrate your first born.
2012-12-06 3:43 PM

User image

Pro
Burbs

I had an (unscheduled, emergency) c section with my first (and only).

I was in pretty good shape when I gave birth and the recovery wasn't TERRIBLE, but I could NOT have done it without my husband. I wasn't allowed to DRIVE for two weeks -- what happens if the baby and your wife- needs a ride to the pedi (they go SO often when they are that young!) and you have a 100 mi ride planned?

I also had terrible PPD and needed my husband for the support. He couldn't "fix it" but he was there to listen to me cry and tell me it was okay and I was doing great.

I hate to say this, but you really have no idea what's coming. Putting two major life events in the same month is a terrible idea. I'm not judging, because you and your wife really don't know, but heed the advice here.

2012-12-06 3:47 PM
in reply to: #4524235

Extreme Veteran
fuzzy34 - 2012-12-06 9:41 AM

Thanks for all the responses.  I know we have no idea what having the baby will be like, or what the training stacked on it will do, but I knew people out there did; hence me asking in the first place.

My wife and I both read through the whole thread and then talked about it again.  She is leaning more towards me not doing it now.  She is concerned about the training time immediately after the birth.  She did ask how flexible the training is, and if it could have a longer taper, or just in general what I could do there (she doesn't race, but is familiar with the plans).  I reminded her that I will have lots of extra vacation to use at the time, so its not me going to work + training.  Also, we are familiar with what her c-section recovery is going to be like.  She had a myomectomy a little over a year ago (reason for known c-section), the doctors told us the recovery was very simliar to a c-section recovery.  That part we know, but it could still be a lot different than that.

We have an appointment in a few weeks, so we aren't going to make any final decisions anytime soon.  Because everything would only happen towards the end, we also mentioned I sign up and get training going, then if things get rough, I don't do the race, if not we both go enjoy ourselves at the race with our new baby.  That one is a gamble, but at least we'd have both bases covered.

The biggest factor is impossible to predict that many of you have said that is completely unknown is just how her body is going to be acting at the end of the pregnancy, how its going to recover (shouldn't be bad), and how "good" the baby is.

Probably end up not doing it, which just makes me stressed because I'll need a whole new plan for races and training

Side note: I also talked to a lady at work who's husband did an IM while they had kids.  She recommened I find excuses NOT to be around during the later part of the 3rd trimester because of horomones.  She said her husband was in the wrong 95% of the time whether he was home or not...haha.

This entire post screams "We have no idea how much work a new kid is going to be!!"  

Seriously dude, scrap it.

2012-12-06 6:57 PM
in reply to: #4525277

User image

Pro
Burbs

Enjoy yourself at an IM with a newborn?

I am not one to hole myself up in my house with a newborn. I made sure I got out of the house at least once a day ... BUT! that was a trip to Target or to see Daddy at work for a couple hours or for a walk. You should absolutely not take a baby to an IM. It will be miserable. For all three of you

2012-12-07 9:51 AM

Looks like the rest of the season is shot probably for racing, oh well.  I started looking for other sprints/olys/halfs that I could fit for a better time frame.  Doesn't look like anything is going to work well at all.  Of course, leave it to my wife (queen of finding places for vacation) found http://www.ironmanloscabos.com/.  Probably a little too soon, and too expensive.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » IMKY 5 weeks after wife's c-section? Rss Feed  

of 2