General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Half Ironman Back to Back Weekends? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2012-12-07 4:57 PM
in reply to: #4526737

User image

Champion
Chicago
Subject: RE: Half Ironman Back to Back Weekends?
JasenGuy - 2012-12-07 4:12 PM

lifejustice - 2012-12-07 1:46 PM

It is absolutely foolish to suggest to a person which you don't know that it would be ok for them to do 2 half-iron races 7 days from each other.

...Foolish in the way that somebody else has to pay the consequences for your bad advice.

"Sure...what's the worst that can happen by buying a second home with a line of equity from your first home?"

Are you kidding me?? I guess since nobody knows this person we all should have just ignored the question?...What an asinine reply to a bunch of people who are answering a question posted on an internet forum.

The OP was asking the people of BT's opinion. They all vary based on the experiences of each individual which I'm assuming the OP was looking for. Why not take it a step further and say that no questions should be answered on BT unless we know the person asking the question?...

Exactly. We field questions here and answer them based on our experience. This would be a pretty boring message board if we didn't actually make our best efforts to answer people's questions. If you ask a question on here, you're going to get 100 answers (if you're lucky) and they're all going to be different.

2012-12-07 5:15 PM
in reply to: #4523701

Did it last year, was not sure how it would go. So I signed up raced them both pretty hard and had good results. Had to dig pretty deep at second event and it took a while to recover, but I am glad I did it.
2012-12-08 7:54 AM
in reply to: #4525103

User image

Payson, AZ
metafizx - 2012-12-06 1:31 PM
Tom Demerly. - 2012-12-06 8:28 AM

As matter of fact, it's so do-able some people do two Half Ironmans in one day.

Some (two here in the U.S.) have even done it in under 8 hours.

but Tom, this site is called "Beginner Triathlete".

Most beginners are doing their first sprint, and a HIM is a big goal. IM even bigger.

To suggest back to back weekends are ok for multiple HIMs is one thing (still not what I would recommend), but definitely would not recommend 2 HIMs in one day or one weekend on BT.

MO that "beginners" need to learn about recovery and not destroy themselves early in the process. 

I might expand that to any triathlete actually, once you get to the "advanced" stage, you wouldn't be asking this question on BT (or ST for that matter).

I respectfully disagree with your thought process.  unless all this forum wants is beginners leading beginners then fine.  But I am experienced yet have never done back to back HIM's.  I would come to this board (actually I wouldn't cause of the above attitude, I'd just stick with the mentor group) and get opinions, experience and suggestions to help make up my mind if this is doable or not and if so what steps I might take to make it as successful as possible.  Cause for me I'd still be a beginner at doing a double HIM. 

2012-12-08 8:03 PM
in reply to: #4526737

User image

Extreme Veteran
JasenGuy - 2012-12-07 2:12 PM

It is absolutely foolish to suggest to a person which you don't know that it would be ok for them to do 2 half-iron races 7 days from each other.

...Foolish in the way that somebody else has to pay the consequences for your bad advice.

"Sure...what's the worst that can happen by buying a second home with a line of equity from your first home?"

Are you kidding me?? I guess since nobody knows this person we all should have just ignored the question?...What an asinine reply to a bunch of people who are answering a question posted on an internet forum.

The OP was asking the people of BT's opinion. They all vary based on the experiences of each individual which I'm assuming the OP was looking for. Why not take it a step further and say that no questions should be answered on BT unless we know the person asking the question?...

Sorry, Jasen.  If you could point me to a coach that would suggest 2 HIM in 7 days, I would really appreciate it.  I am 99% sure that the OP did not ask a coach, and I am 100% sure that the people who say "Why not" are not aware of the OP's abilities.

2012-12-08 8:27 PM
in reply to: #4527579

User image

Expert
Chandler, AZ
lifejustice - 2012-12-08 6:03 PM

Sorry, Jasen.  If you could point me to a coach that would suggest 2 HIM in 7 days, I would really appreciate it.  I am 99% sure that the OP did not ask a coach, and I am 100% sure that the people who say "Why not" are not aware of the OP's abilities.

Why would I point you in the direction of a coach if you're 99% sure that the OP didn't ask a coach?? That's the whole point...OP didn't ask a coach, OP asked the people of BT.

100% of the questions on here would be better answered by a coach and 99% of questions that are being answered in here are being answered without knowing the OP's abilities. What's your point?

According to your qualifications for answering a question, should only 1% of all questions be answered in here? Or maybe just not questions about HIMs...or weekends?

Edited by JasenGuy 2012-12-08 8:33 PM
2012-12-09 3:00 PM
in reply to: #4527153

User image

Master
Kailua, Hawaii
bzgl40 - 2012-12-08 2:54 AM
metafizx - 2012-12-06 1:31 PM
Tom Demerly. - 2012-12-06 8:28 AM

As matter of fact, it's so do-able some people do two Half Ironmans in one day.

Some (two here in the U.S.) have even done it in under 8 hours.

but Tom, this site is called "Beginner Triathlete".

Most beginners are doing their first sprint, and a HIM is a big goal. IM even bigger.

To suggest back to back weekends are ok for multiple HIMs is one thing (still not what I would recommend), but definitely would not recommend 2 HIMs in one day or one weekend on BT.

MO that "beginners" need to learn about recovery and not destroy themselves early in the process. 

I might expand that to any triathlete actually, once you get to the "advanced" stage, you wouldn't be asking this question on BT (or ST for that matter).

I respectfully disagree with your thought process.  unless all this forum wants is beginners leading beginners then fine.  But I am experienced yet have never done back to back HIM's.  I would come to this board (actually I wouldn't cause of the above attitude, I'd just stick with the mentor group) and get opinions, experience and suggestions to help make up my mind if this is doable or not and if so what steps I might take to make it as successful as possible.  Cause for me I'd still be a beginner at doing a double HIM. 

well, good luck to you. I stand by my recommendation.

2012-12-09 3:38 PM
in reply to: #4523922

User image

Regular
Las Vegas, NV

JasenGuy - 2012-12-05 8:57 PM It's absolutely doable if you have the right training...I know two dudes who did Pumpkin man 70.3 in Vegas on Saturday and then drove back to AZ and did SOMA 70.3  the next day on Sunday. One of those guys placed first overall at Pumpkin man and then came back to place 33rd overall at SOMA...

Wow, so I looked him up, thinking that's a HUGE drop in performance.  But he was only SEVEN MINUTES slower, 4:40:XX vs. 4:47:XX (it was just a much faster field in SOMA, I'm guessing because of the Vegas elevation, that Half is a doozy).  And it appears his brother got #1 in SOMA!  Two sub-5's back to back, amazing.

And they both had THE EXACT SAME PACE (6:14) on the run

Edited by GatorDeb 2012-12-09 3:39 PM
2012-12-09 3:54 PM
in reply to: #4526701

User image

Expert
lifejustice - 2012-12-07 3:46 PM

No one here is making this person do what they are asking. The OP is still an adult...

*yawn*

2012-12-09 4:58 PM

User image

Veteran
Northern Illinois
lifejustice - 2012-12-08 8:03 PM

Lifejustice: I'm curious what your Tri experience is. You act as if a HIM is such a huge deal that no one could do them in back to back weekends. There are triathletes that could easily do that. This is especially true if they didn't push hard on both of them. I think if you read the posts, that is what most including me are suggesting. If the OP wants to do it and enjoy the second one with his Dad, then he should.
2012-12-09 4:58 PM

User image

Veteran
Northern Illinois
lifejustice - 2012-12-08 8:03 PM

Edited by TriBoilermaker 2012-12-09 5:00 PM
2012-12-09 8:49 PM
in reply to: #4528246

User image

Expert
Chandler, AZ
GatorDeb - 2012-12-09 1:38 PM

JasenGuy - 2012-12-05 8:57 PM It's absolutely doable if you have the right training...I know two dudes who did Pumpkin man 70.3 in Vegas on Saturday and then drove back to AZ and did SOMA 70.3  the next day on Sunday. One of those guys placed first overall at Pumpkin man and then came back to place 33rd overall at SOMA...

Wow, so I looked him up, thinking that's a HUGE drop in performance.  But he was only SEVEN MINUTES slower, 4:40:XX vs. 4:47:XX (it was just a much faster field in SOMA, I'm guessing because of the Vegas elevation, that Half is a doozy).  And it appears his brother got #1 in SOMA!  Two sub-5's back to back, amazing.

And they both had THE EXACT SAME PACE (6:14) on the run

Yeah, those guys are a bit of local legends around here...They're twins too, so it's hard to tell them apart on the course.

When the Folts are racing you can pretty much always expect to see them take their AG or a podium spot.

2012-12-09 10:02 PM
in reply to: #4523701

User image

Extreme Veteran

For me, yes because I'm not in that kind of shape.  My father would never do an HIM, though it would be cool.  He did a sprint relay with me once.  That was cool.

I'm trying to convince my girlfriend to do an HIM with me, but she can't stand biking Frown

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Half Ironman Back to Back Weekends? Rss Feed  

of 2