General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Training a lot. Ladies, how do you not look like crap? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2012-12-06 11:25 AM

User image

Expert
Huntington Beach
Subject: Training a lot. Ladies, how do you not look like crap?

I am week four into my HIM training and like most triathletes, I am finding myself working, squeezing a training session in at lunch, working, training after work, running my kids to games, events etc.  Needless to say, 90% of the time my hair is pulled in a bun, I am in sweats, and I am looking less than spectacular.  I don't mind because I feel great.  However, my husband tried oh so delicately last night to ask me if I could try to care a little more about my looks when we are going to our kids games or out to dinner.

Please don't turn this into a spouse bashing thread.  He is typically supportive of my tri habit.  He does appreciate that I am keeping my body in shape.  I am just wondering how you other gals are managing to get multiple workouts done in a day and still look your best.  Any quick tips?

2012-12-06 11:33 AM
in reply to: #4524602

Iron Donkey
, Wisconsin
Subject: RE: Training a lot. Ladies, how do you not look like crap?

Well, from a perspective of a man, and a triathlete:
1). I would LOF it if my wife would train (health reasons) than work (earn money) more.
2). I think going to the kids' sports activities does NOT require someone to dress beyond casual - putting your hair up in a bun and/or putting on a cap and wearing sweats would NOT be a problem with me.  Being comfortable is fine.
3). Now, going out to dinner, MAYBE it depends on where you are going and who is with you.  Hitting the local bar, no big deal.  Hitting the fast food joint or Mickey D's, no big deal.  Just you and your husband needing alone time at a "nicer/better quality" restaurant, then tidy up and dress nicer.  That should be a given.

2012-12-06 11:38 AM

User image

Science Nerd
Redwood City, California

I can understand both perspectives, believe me. 

How long is your hair? Have you ever thought about keeping it shorter? It dries faster and looks ok without a lot of styling.

I typically wear jeans and a nice top to work/when we go out.  You can put a button down over a tank top or get a cardigan or knit blazer to throw over a tshirt. Keep a cute pair of flats (I love my Toms ballet flats - cute and comfortable) in your car or gym bag to throw on instead of tennis shoes.

Find makeup that multi-tasks.  I wear a tinted moisturizer with sunscreen everyday.  I should wear moisturizer/sunscreen everyday *anyway*, so this just helps my skin look a bit better.  That + lip gloss makes me a little more put together than I would be otherwise.

Edited by Artemis 2012-12-06 11:40 AM
2012-12-06 12:04 PM

User image

Elite
Train at 4:00am like I do...training done by 6-6:30am, able to shower and get on with the day's activities.  I realize it's not the schedule for everyone, but that's all I got. Laughing
2012-12-06 12:07 PM

User image

Pro

Easy solution? Spend some money on cute workout clothes. It's the difference between this:

and this:

Just save the cute workout outfits for days that you know you'll be out before or after your workout.

2012-12-06 12:15 PM
in reply to: #4524701

User image

Champion
, Minnesota
Bronze member

I was just thinking about this, as I spiffed up my makeup/hair after a lunch run.

I have short hair, which helps a LOT!  It actually looks better (more volume) after getting windblown.  

I change back into my normal clothes and put on make-up, etc.  I bring a wash cloth for after work runs (I do a quick "bath" in my office) and if I hit the gym, I usually take a shower and do some level of getting dressed after.  If I am only going home then i skip makeup and just shower and do a quick hair combing.  But if I am meeting my husband for dinner I do 1 minutes worth of makeup and blowdry/fix my hair.  Again, the short hair comes in handy. I can do this in 10 minutes or less.   Even if I am "going out" and want to wear a bit more makeup, it takes 11 minutes. 

Now, I am not fancy.  Every day is simple anyway.  When I was doing the half iron training and actually swimming, the best use of time was to roll out of bed, put on my suit, and go straight to the pool.  I would pack my work clothes and gym bag and lunch ahead of time so it was actually quicker than a normal morning by far. 

Edited by BikerGrrrl 2012-12-06 12:16 PM

2012-12-06 12:19 PM

www.athleta.com

Done.

2012-12-06 12:24 PM
in reply to: #4524725

User image

Sensei
Sin City

You may look like crap to yourself, but as a guy, I don't think that's an issue!

The only time my wife looks like crap is when she is down with the flu or something.  Then I just feel bad for her.

2012-12-06 12:27 PM
in reply to: #4524733

User image

Pro
Kido - 2012-12-06 12:24 PM

You may look like crap to yourself, but as a guy, I don't think that's an issue!

The only time my wife looks like crap is when she is down with the flu or something.  Then I just feel bad for her.

Agreed......I can just see me asking my wife if she could dress up a bit more for our kid's game.  She'd show up in 5 inch heels, a very short skirt,  low cut sleeveless blouse, and a giant smirk on her face.

2012-12-06 12:30 PM

User image

Master

IMHO, that 2 workouts per day idea is bogus if you have any kind of life or job. I don't have time for two showers/make-up applications/extra laundry, etc.

So, here is a list:

1.  Comfortable, easy-to-wear, easy-care clothing.  I like the dresses at Title Nine and the pants/tops at Banana Republic.  Cheaper clothing, IMHO requires more care to wash, iron, etc.  Dresses are good because you don't have to match anything.  Put on the dress and go.  Some don't even require a bra!

2.  Shorter hair or the dreaded jaw clip to twist it up as mention by others.

3.  One shower as mentioned above.  It this means bricking the workouts, do it.

4.  For any sort of outdoor event, I feel free to show up straight from a workout (sweaty and in workout clothes).   Don't like my running tights or my jogbra showing through my shirt? Too bad.

5.  Buy clothes that actually fit.  Similar to the sweats v. Lululemon picture posted above, you don't have to look dumpy in workout clothes.  Buy what fits you and not your DH.

6.  Stick a package of baby wipes, a mascara, and a lipstick in your "to go" bag so that if you do show up somewhere after a workout, you can freshen up if necessary. 

2012-12-06 12:33 PM

User image

Sweater dresses !

You can slip one on over your tanktop/leggings and put on a pair of boots. With a quick face refresh, you'll look great!

2012-12-06 12:34 PM

User image

I will say I find this much easier in the summer when I can throw on a skirt/sundress and "fancy" flip flops!!  Plus I have the natural sun glow so no makeup needed!  Winter has been a different story.

I tend to keep my hair longer so that I can braid it.  I am also blessed to have curly hair.  Look into dry shampoo; keeps hair from getting too greasy and fresh smelling.  I used it during the middle of the day when needed. I do not wash my hair everyday.

I typically schedule my workouts so that I do one predawn and one later in the day--most likely at the gym so I can take advantage of childcare for 2 hours which includes time for a shower.  If the kid's activity is soccer practice, I run during practice, also swim during swim team.  

I tend to wear small earrings and they stay on all day.  Ditch the workout watch when the workout is over.  Lipgloss is easy and quick.  Cute accessories can jazz up my standard jeans and plain colored shirt attire.  I love Downy Wrinkle Releaser (travel size in gym bag).  I also have several outfits similar to the earlier picture.  

2012-12-06 12:49 PM

User image

Elite
Us gals are too hard on ourselves. I think I look cr*p then a hot guy in masters will hit on me I've got goggle marks on my eyes no make up hair well just wrong I'm in my swimsuit and Ugg boots coz my feet are cold and BANG I'm being chatted up. Bet you look great in your sweats. I NEVER think I look better than below average - ont think my husband would ever say so though I dare him!!!

Edited by jobaxas 2012-12-06 1:16 PM
2012-12-06 1:28 PM

User image

Champion
New York, NY

I keep some clothes at work as well as some shoes in case I need to change - including a simple black dress...

I use bare minerals for makeup so it is really easy

I also do the early morning thing - I don't get a lunch break so not an option

I agree on the cute athletic clothes - big fan of lululemon here

and I cut my hair short - problem solved.

2012-12-06 1:28 PM

Veteran
sacramento, Colorado

i live in Birmingham Mi.  Lululemon is the clothing of choice here at lunches for the society set women.  And many of them don't even work out.

2012-12-06 1:36 PM

User image

Seattle

Yeah, I think cute multi-tasking workout clothes are a good start. Even Target's C9 Premium line has begun to make "fashionable" stuff you can get away with in a non workout environment. 

Details like doing your makeup and hair and adding accessories make you look a little more polished.

Of course more than half the time I look like a frazzled mess so I should probably take some of my own advice. 

2012-12-06 1:36 PM

Veteran

I am really not one to talk at all, since I've been dealing with the same issue myself

A few things I've been trying to do that seem to help - dry shampoo.  Several ladies mentioned short hair, but my hair is actually easier when it's longer.  Mine's really straight and flat so short styles require a lot of work.  I love ponytails & clips. My hair is up 90% of the time.  I use a little dry shampoo and hit it with the blowdryer, then slick down the flyaways with some pomade (Aveda Brilliant is nice).

Makeup - Okay, skin fanatics may freak out a little bit here, but I'm going to be honest.  My skin is dry and almost never breaks out.  Plus, I don't sweat much.  So if I have a fairly short workout over lunch, I'll just leave my makeup on, then using blotting sheets and touch up afterwards with some concealer, powder and gloss.  Waterproof mascara helps (Maybelline Great Lash waterproof stays on but isn't too hard to remove)  Another product I love is Bobbi Brown longwear cream eyeshadows.  I use a light neutral shimmer color all over.  It just brightens the eye a bit & stays on through a workout, plus it's super easy.  I smear it on with my fingers

This approach might not work if you're breakout prone, but another option is leaving your eye makeup on, use a makeup wipe to remove foundation, etc and then you just re-do that part after your workout.  Obviously depends how much you wear.

Nails - I've started keeping my nails painted (gel/shellac manicures really last).  I feel like it gives me a more polished look.

And lastly, accessories.  Jewelry, scarves, etc are easy to toss on and again, add a little polish.  That cute lulu-esque outfit posted above, plus some earrings and lipgloss - you'll be super comfy and stylish

Edited by ersmith29 2012-12-06 1:39 PM
2012-12-06 1:45 PM
in reply to: #4524743

Left Brain - 2012-12-06 12:27 PM
Kido - 2012-12-06 12:24 PM

Agreed......I can just see me asking my wife if she could dress up a bit more for our kid's game.  She'd show up in 5 inch heels, a very short skirt,  low cut sleeveless blouse, and a giant smirk on her face.

And the problem is....? :D

2012-12-06 1:54 PM
in reply to: #4524963

User image

Master
Livonia, MI
ersmith29 - 2012-12-06 2:36 PM

Several ladies mentioned short hair, but my hair is actually easier when it's longer.  Mine's really straight and flat so short styles require a lot of work.  I love ponytails & clips. My hair is up 90% of the time.  

I totally agree with this.  I know it depends on your hair type, but if you have relatively fine, straight hair like mine, long and unlayered is the way to go.  I use dry shampoo or baby powder (only works if you're light blonde) to soak up the oil and/or toss it into a ponytail and voila.  Zero styling required.

As for makeup, the light texture of a foundation/moisturizer blend is much easier to touch up than the thick stuff.  A little of that, a light coat of waterproof mascara and some lip gloss and you're good to go for casual chic.

As for the duds, I kind of feel like regardless of how much or how little you train, you can still wear something cute for AFTER training.  It just takes a little more effort to toss a cute shirt and some jeans into your training bag as opposed to those comfy old battered sweats with the giant, unflattering race T shirt Wink  No time to shower and don't want to toss on your nicer duds?  Baby wipes and a towel to dry off, plus deodorant work wonders.

Now when it comes to goggle marks, I'd love to hear some suggestions on that one.  I've tried about 30 pairs of goggles in the last several years and I still haven't found one that doesn't leave my face looking a little beat up for several hours!

2012-12-06 2:47 PM

User image

Champion
Dallas, TX
Eh... if I'm training before/after work... I usually have a ponytail and no makeup. Just how it goes.

2012-12-06 3:04 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Raleigh, NC

My life hasn't been the same since I discovered dry shampoo, best thing ever for lady triathletes!

I also can't live without baby wipes and keep those and a hand towel in my bag at all times. 

Something I did while IM training was keep an emergency bag in the car at all times.  This included back ups of items I might need for workouts (goggles, socks, extra sports bra) but also stuff I might need to pretty myself up (hair brush, foundation, body spray) if I had last minute plans that required me to look a bit nicer post workout.  You could toss in a pair of ballet flats and a wrinkle resistant dress as back up in case something came up.

2012-12-06 3:24 PM

User image

Master

I think I look pretty put together in my workout gear picking up the kids, grocery shopping and such. I don't wear make up if I'm going to work out, but I'm comfortable without it. I just make sure the gear is not worn out looking, matched in color, and my hair is put in a neat pony. I've had to rush home and get ready for semi fancy dinners in 15 minutes. I just have everything out and ready. Hair I blow dry as much as possible, put a tamer in my waves, and slap on a fancy head band. Most makeup I use is a gloss, eyeliner and mascara.

I look clean and neat even if I'm looking like I'm a school sports or fitness coach all day. There have been no protests from man or children.

I do have to take a couple showers a day since I run at lunch and swim/bike in the afternoon. Laundry's crazy too, but oh well.

Edited by Blanda 2012-12-06 3:29 PM
2012-12-06 3:30 PM

User image

Pro
Burbs

I have to look put together and professional at work (attorney, in court often

My "secrets":
- dry shampoo
- hair in a low bun or "fancy" ponytail
- clothes picked the night before, ironed, ready to go
- easy make up (bare minerals powder, liquid blush, mascara - takes 3 min tops)

If I don't need to wash my hair or shave it's really easy to shower and get ready !

2012-12-06 4:16 PM

Ok so my question is I do most of my workouts before work (no lunch break) but I end up with a face the colour of beets and it will stay that way for an hour or so until I fully cool down. Any suggestions?
2012-12-06 4:30 PM

User image

Pro
Keller, Texas

Try traithlon training + working from home.

Getting dressed up is putting on socks.

Edited by dodgersmom 2012-12-06 4:30 PM
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Training a lot. Ladies, how do you not look like crap? Rss Feed  

of 2