General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Ironman Distance race ....Gotta do list Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2012-12-06 12:02 PM

User image

Veteran
Subject: Ironman Distance race ....Gotta do list

Ok so as I am fairly new to the Iron distance, I wanted to know what Iron distance races are worth the trip and what race should every Triathlete do at one point or another may it be sceneary, course terrain, volunteers, atmoshere...etc (no matter skill and based on your opinion) . 

Do not include Hawaii and others that you have to qualify for.

2012-12-06 12:27 PM
in reply to: #4524689

Iron Donkey
, Wisconsin
Subject: RE: Ironman Distance race ....Gotta do list

Do you have a cost hinderance based off of travel or entry?

1). Ironman-branded races fill quite quickly, so getting in to a race will require either being there in person to signup or being quick online or paying about double to get in through the foundation slot.

2). Ironman-branded races are costly.

3). There are other less costly long distance triathlons that can be found.

4). "Worth the trip" is subjective, depending on conditions, support, terrain, etc.  IM WI is always raved (in my backyard and has tremendous support!).  I've heard good things about IM AZ.  I'm sure quite a few others are raved, too.

5). There are REV3 triathlons that would be worth considering.

Consider stopping into the IronTalk forums!

2012-12-06 1:02 PM

User image

NC

Norseman looks pretty epic.

2012-12-06 1:20 PM
in reply to: #4524742

User image

Veteran
1stTimeTri - 2012-12-06 1:27 PM

1). Ironman-branded races fill quite quickly, so getting in to a race will require either being there in person to signup or being quick online or paying about double to get in through the foundation slot.

4). "Worth the trip" is subjective, depending on conditions, support, terrain, etc.  IM WI is always raved (in my backyard and has tremendous support!).  I've heard good things about IM AZ.  I'm sure quite a few others are raved, too.

I meant more towards what people's opinions were of some good ones that you should race. for example I always here people talk about how you have to do Ironman Lake Placid for its xxxxx.  Just curious.....

Norseman is a good choice but now I know IMs are expensive but I think heading to Norway is on a different level.....haha

2012-12-06 1:26 PM
in reply to: #4524923

Master
, California
Jorgito22 - 2012-12-06 11:20 AM
1stTimeTri - 2012-12-06 1:27 PM

I meant more towards what people's opinions were of some good ones that you should race. for example I always here people talk about how you have to do Ironman Lake Placid for its xxxxx.  Just curious.....

Norseman is a good choice but now I know IMs are expensive but I think heading to Norway is on a different level.....haha

Each one has different factors that may appeal to different folks.  Consider:

- Do you have family / friends going with you?  Some races have better extra-curricular activities than others.

- Location.  It's convenient and cheaper if you have a race within driving distance.

- Type of course.  Do you like hills?  What temperature are you comfortable in?  Etc.

... those are just a few examples.

2012-12-06 1:30 PM
in reply to: #4524940

User image

Sensei
Sin City

There are probably very few people that have done enough to be subjective.

I think the atmosphere is probably similar for all the Ironman branded races (save Kona).

Do you want to go fast?  FL or AZ.

I though France or Austria or just about any overseas race would be epic, because I could travel.

I don't know if they are doing St. George again, but that was HARD, if that floats your boat.

Just depends on what's important to you.  And for most, their experience is limited, or opinions of other races is hearsay.

2012-12-06 1:34 PM

User image

Elite
Cleveland

Aside from something like Kona, I think the only real answer is "what places resonate with YOU?".

What is a place that YOU want to see?

I view the location as the reason to go, and the race is merely a tour of the area.

I'd be all over IM France because I want to go stay in Nice and swim the French Riviera.

I'd do Lanzarote because I want to visit the Canary Islands, even though the bike leg would absolutely KILL me.

Switzerland.... need I say more?

In North America, Cozumel, Tahoe and Cabos are the three I'd initially think of, but again, I view them as vacation destinations more than anything.  I'm not going to invest that much into *just* a race... it has to have more than that for me.

2012-12-06 1:52 PM

I've never participated in one (yet), but did volunteer at Lake Placid this past July. Going by what people SAID, I always thought, "Ooh, too hilly! Scary! Impossible" Now, it's on my short list for my first IM. Its is GORGEOUS up there. From start to finish. And the weather is usually near perfect.

It sells out the first day of reg.

2012-12-06 2:25 PM

User image

Master
Rural Ontario

Ironman Canada is (was) usually near the top of most people's rankings. A beautiful course (amazing bike ride), great volunteers. I hope the "Challenge" group which has taken over the race will do a similarly good job. 

Ironman Mont Tremblant (Canada) got some rave reviews this year. Challenge Roth (Germany) is supposed to be and amazing race - fast course and increadible crowd support.  Norseman (Norway) is the toughguy's Ironman - beautiful but hard.  IMHO Vineman Full seems like a great race in the continental US.

Oh, and I hear some good buzz on that Kona race. Apparently is kind of  a big deal.... Laughing

2012-12-06 3:05 PM
in reply to: #4525084

User image

Master
Toronto
Bronze member
mgalanter - 2012-12-06 3:25 PM

Ironman Canada is (was) usually near the top of most people's rankings. A beautiful course (amazing bike ride), great volunteers. I hope the "Challenge" group which has taken over the race will do a similarly good job. 

Ironman Mont Tremblant (Canada) got some rave reviews this year. Challenge Roth (Germany) is supposed to be and amazing race - fast course and increadible crowd support.  Norseman (Norway) is the toughguy's Ironman - beautiful but hard.  IMHO Vineman Full seems like a great race in the continental US.

Oh, and I hear some good buzz on that Kona race. Apparently is kind of  a big deal.... Laughing

I did Tremblant this year and it was really great! Fantastic setting - really beautiful, decently challenging course and a great place to take the family/friends.  Travelling into Quebec is a nice change and still in North America. 

I also got to spectate at Kona a few years ago, and, yeah, it is kind of a big deal.  It was amazing just to be there - and Hawaii is so cool - not literally, though. 

For me, I think Cozumel would be cool for the swim (though this year it was tough!) and it's also a great vacation destination. 

I am hoping for great reviews of some of the new races for next year - Whistler, Tahoe, Los Cabos.  All seem like amazing destinations ... 

2012-12-06 3:58 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Frisco

MY IM bucket list looks like this (in no particular order)

Lanzarote - bring your climbing legs. Plus Kona like tradewinds.

Norseman - billed as the toughest. Gotta try it

Cozumel - for the swim and I hear the run is pretty cool as well

Vineman - Heard great things about this race

Challenge Canada - scenery and I can get some fly fishing in while Im there

Wildflower - its a half but I hear its an awesome weekend

I' sure there are others but these would be a good start in my book

2012-12-06 7:17 PM

User image

Champion
Alabama
IMKY Because that is the only one I have done!

IMKY:

Freshwater
River swim (not lake) - only Mdot one I know of
TT start - only Mdot one I know of
Warm weather - don't freeze you arse off like late season IMs
Flat, shady run course
Gentle rolling scenic hills on bike course
2012-12-07 5:23 AM

User image

Expert

I'd say if money is no object then any destination for IM would be cool, but, in my own personal experience,

My husband is very supportive of me, but has NO interest in triathlons. AT ALL.

He is a moderately patient person but no angel. Which means, when I am a bit bitchy it stresses him out. And before tri's I'm a bit bitchy. (I don't think so, but he does)

So, If I am considering a destination that is gonna cost a lot of money, it's gonna be a hard sell for him. Again, he'd support me wherever I wanted to go... within reason, but, I don't think he'd be too happy going somewhere with high expense and spending time with me while I "obsessed" with my last minute training .. stufff..

So I am gonna keep my big races close by within driving range. That way I can be all about me and not worry about him.

Exception is Wisconsin, where i grew up. If I can physically do it, I will race that race some day. (I currently live in Florida) But again, all my family is there, so the outside expense wouldn't be more than the race price and transportation.

2012-12-07 6:19 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
England

My list of must-do's are

Rev3 Cedar Point

Beach 2 Battleship

But as everyone has said, its subjective as to what you look for in a race.

2012-12-07 8:29 AM
in reply to: #4524958

User image

Extreme Veteran
, Kobenhavns Kommune
cgregg - 2012-12-06 8:34 PM

I'd do Lanzarote because I want to visit the Canary Islands, even though the bike leg would absolutely KILL me.

Lanzarote has one IM (Ironman) and two HIM (Ironman 70.3 and Ocean Lava), also check out Challenge-Fuerteventura HIM, all of these have lots of climbing. This year RedBull sponsored a 7 island 7 IM 7 day race, but I don't know if they'll repeat. OK, only one IM distance race, but all races have a lots of climbing. 

BR

2012-12-07 8:44 AM

User image

Expert
Broomfield, CO

Ironman.com has recently posted the top Travel destinations, the best finishes and the best bike course. You might start there.

I can you from IMTX this year, I wouldn't put it at the top of the "TO DO" list. The swim is awful, the bike is boring, hot, windy and rough. The run, the run isn't bad. The loop you make around the canal passing all the people, running under the finish line twice on each loop is good motivation to keep moving. You also get to run around a big lake. Of course some guy got bit by a snake on the run. So there is that.

2012-12-07 9:16 AM

User image

Pro

Lake Placid will be my first this year. It's relatively nearby, about a dozen people from my tri club go every year so I'll have great support, and it's beautiful. I volunteered last summer and stood in line on Monday to register.

I want to complete one before I even think about a list.

2012-12-08 3:10 PM

User image

Regular
Santa Clara, UT
St. George half.  Beautiful!  Spectacular scenery!
2012-12-08 3:50 PM
in reply to: #4527378

User image

Extreme Veteran
I am an hour drive from the Challenge Canada ( former ironman canada course ) start line, and BC is absolutely beautiful, so I am heavily bias towards this race.

Can't wait to toe the line in august!
2012-12-08 5:22 PM

User image

Master
Royersford, PA
Gotta Do list:

-Lanzarote - Club Med, Canary Islands in May and a Monster Bike Leg climbing from Sea to Sky 3 times at least.
-Lake Placid- Signed up for this year. The 1980 Winter Olympics were a special memory for me with the Miracle on Ice and Eric Heiden's performance. Being able to finish on the Speedskating oval where all that history happened will be so cool. Plus awesome lake and bike course.
-Challenge Roth: From what I hear Tour De France sized crowds and amazing feel. Plus world record fast.
-IM Australia or New Zealand: Just want to experience a race down under once the kids are off to collage.
-Did IM Canda in 2011. Was everything it was hyped up to be. Must do race!! The community support and volunteers were just as awesome as the amazing course and rockstar feel you get on Richter Pass.
-Did Rev 3 Cedar Point in 2010. Great event! Whole family loved it! Fast course and family got to enjoy the amusement park while I was racing. Got five stars from my teenagers so you know it was good.
-Kona (lottery winner in 2007) was off the charts the most amazing race and experience I ever had.
2012-12-09 6:39 AM
in reply to: #4524883

User image

Expert
Goosedog - 2012-12-06 2:02 PM

Norseman looks pretty epic.

I agree, just watching the videos of this race gets me all nervous!

2012-12-09 6:48 AM

User image

Champion
Alabama
Let this thread go long enough and you will eventually see every IM event listed as a must-do. It's kinda like asking what is he best vehicle to buy? What do you need, what do you like, where do you live, what can you afford, what do you not like, etc.
2012-12-09 3:04 PM

User image

Expert
Wendell, NC
Only done Beach 2 Battleship but it was well done.  Nearly 1:1 vols:racers, downhill swim, flat bike/run, excellent location (I'm prejudice but have traveled a lot.  There is nowhere else with more spectacular women......the beaches ain't bad either)
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Ironman Distance race ....Gotta do list Rss Feed