United States
Pretzel City Sports
Precipitation
Total Time = 3h 09m 54s
Overall Rank = 34/84
Age Group = 18-29
Age Group Rank = 5/
Pre-race routine:

Got up around 0630, had a bowl of raisin bran. Woke up my wife, ate a Clif Bar, and drove to the race site. Humid, but not too hot.
Event warmup:

Little jogging, stretching.
Run
  • 00m
  • 0 miles
  •  min/mile
Comments:

One of the most challenging (and stupid) things I have ever done. Started out at a decent rate, felt pretty good. Made it up the first series of uphills without too much trouble, made with little sprints through the woods to pass people (deer trails are tough to pass people on). Then we hit the first "major uphill". Ok, start climbing the mountain. Get to the top, start heading back down. Nice stretch of flats and downhills, couple rolling uphills mixed in. After the one long stretch of relatively flat, (very) hard left turn to start up "the trough". The sides were as tall as I am, and it was cut like a V, the bottom being wide enough for one person, and churned into thick red clay soup (woohoo!). Start heading up, hit a spot where I'm now eye-level with the trail in front of me. Climb up, keep going. Same thing. This happened about 5 times. Needless to say, there were parts of the trail that I walked. Plain and simple. Finished the first 15k in 1:23. Make the turn to head back out, people cheering for me (new experience there). I suck down my packet o' Gu (with caffeine!), and immediately start wishing for the dang water stop. Grr.
Keep chugging along, not seeing many people out.....(am I last? Did I even make the cut-off? Crap.) Legs are stiff, kinda sore. I can still feel the blister on my left foot, but it's not getting worse (shoes, socks, and feet all swelled from water). Within the first mile of the 2nd loop, God decided we needed a bath, so He cut open the clouds. Monsoon season was upon us (hence the swollen everything, but at least it wasn't so hot). Keep on trudging.
Get to first (4th?) water stop, no one there, but at least water is out. Suck down 2 cups worth, start off again with another runner. Some chit chat, he's taller, faster, has more in him than I do, eventually leaves me behind (after walking up the first uphill with me). Long story shortened slightly:
If anyone heard a loud thunking sound yesterday, that was me. Hitting the wall. Repeatedly. There were parts I literally had to walk because I just had nothing in me to keep going. I came darn close to saying "Screw it" several times (about every water stop, the mid point, and a few times on the trail). I had minor stomach problems (little bit of cramping) a couple times. At one point, I was kinda barely even aware of what I was doing (tough to explain, but I'm sure someone knows what I'm talking about). I was alone for alot of the race. I would have 15 minute stretches and see or hear no one else. Mentally, it can be really tough. There's no mile markers either, so you never really know where you stand in terms of being done. Just mentally and physically very VERY challenging. Heck, I placed 34th overall, and ran a 3:10. What's that tell ya?
What would you do differently?:

Bring my own water. Bring more stuff to consume on the course. Twizzlers are great and all, but tough to store when it's raining.
Post race
What limited your ability to perform faster:

Probably, more than anything less, lack of water and calories on the course.

Event comments:

Pretzel City Sports (www.pretzelcitysports.com) trail runs are generally known to be on the insane side anyways. I just didn't realize how insane they are. I saw Satan slink off the course at one point, muttering about the sheer evilness of it all. If you are at all interested to really challenge yourself physically and mentally, this is a good way to do it. Especially since it's alot cheaper than many other races.

Results are up, here's the site:
http://pretzelcitysports.com/_wsn/page11.html

I took 34th overall, 5th in my AG. 8:05 faster, I would've medalled. Grrrrrrr.......

Last updated: 2006-05-02 12:00 AM
Running
00:00:00 | 00 miles |  min/mile
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 34/84
Performance: Good
Course: I was totally lied to. "Only 2 significant hills" apparently translates to "This course consists of only 2 uphills, but those uphills are 12 km of the 15." Very rocky, very muddy. The final descent was slow due to rough terrain.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge Too hard
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? No
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2006-06-26 6:56 AM

User image

Runner
Subject: Double Trouble

2006-06-27 7:16 AM
in reply to: #465454

User image

Master
Tampa, Fl
Subject: RE: Double Trouble
Great Race Scout!! I'd love to try something like this in a few years. I'm still not usre how I'll get through a 10K next week.
2006-06-27 11:24 AM

User image

Pro
Orange Park Florida

Wow!  THirty K of slogging through the mud up hills by yourself with no water or food.  Sounds like a blast!

Good job finishing not to mention 5th in you AG.

2006-06-27 12:25 PM

User image

Expert
St. Louis
geez man! helluva race. great job gutting it out and finishing so well.

congrats to you,
b
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Double Trouble Rss Feed