Other Resources Challenge Me! » Running 4x a week till the Easter Bunny Comes Challenge Rss Feed  
Moderators: the bear, kaqphin, tinkerbeth, D001, k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 5

2013-03-09 7:46 AM
in reply to: #4527904

User image

Expert
Subject: RE: Running 4x a week till the Easter Bunny Comes Challenge
Got my 4th in. Hope everyone had a good week. 

2013-03-10 6:36 PM
in reply to: #4652971

User image

Calgary, AB
I did #3.   Close but no cigar this week.    Had to get ready for family visitors in the early part of the week.  Managed to run Friday, Saturday, Sunday -- Sunday run was outside in a VERY stiff wind.  But spring is almost here! 
2013-03-10 6:51 PM

User image

Hope you enjoyed being with family, Scott. Don't sweat the small stuff like a missed 4th run - family is much more important. You hit 3 in a row and got outside - way to go!

Good job on getting the job done, Kate. Are you getting excited or more nervous for your HIM? I bet you're enjoying tapering at least!

Got my 4th done for last week and #1 done today to start off this week. I'm hoping to get outside for most of the rest of mine this week. I love waking up and hearing the birds although we still have snow on the ground. I can smell spring and that makes me happy.

Is it down to just us 3? It looks that way. Well, have a joyful week, Scott and Katie!

2013-03-11 5:53 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Tallahassee, Florida

Wanted to pop in and say Hi to all of you!  Great job to the remaining three.  I'm still log stalking all of you and want to know how your races go.  Keep up the good work!

I thought I found my mojo but it only lasted 48 hours.  Oh well, 48 hours is better than nothing.

2013-03-14 8:54 AM

User image

Calgary, AB

Ran outside on Tuesday (#1) -- really nice run just before sundown.  I'm actually enjoying the runs where it's just hovering above freezing -- natural air conditioning!   Not sure what's going to happen when it finally cracks 50F...

I'm away on quick business trip but I didn't want to put too much pressure on the weekend -- so I brought the running gear and completed #2 in the hotel fitness center.

Scott.

2013-03-17 11:36 PM
in reply to: #4659319

User image

Calgary, AB

And #4 is in the books!   Including a nice long one (8 miler) yesterday.

Anyone else?
Scott.

2013-03-18 7:33 AM

User image

Thanks for popping in, Pam! Miss connecting with you. Glad you saw your mojo for a while at least! Maybe it'll stick around for longer next time it shows itself.

So glad you got your 4x runs in, Scott. Kuddos to you for taking your gear on your business trip. Plus, you got to run outside AND get a long 8 miler in the same week! Impressive!! I looked at your race logs and see you have a tri coming up in less than a month. Exciting! Thankfully I see it's an indoor swim. Sure hope the weather starts warming up so you won't freeze your tush off going onto the bike.

Kate, you've got to be getting really excited/nervous about your HIM this weekend. Has your taper been going well? I swear I don't know how to do a good taper. I have so much nervous energy that I'm either exercising too much to burn it off or I'm constantly eating too much because I eat when I'm nervous. Not good. Hopefully you're much better than me.

I finished up my 4x runs last week, took yesterday off and have 3 short runs scheduled before my marathon on Saturday. Although I'd wanted to, I didn't get any of my runs outside last week so I HAVE to ths week to help me decide what to wear. Blasted weather - we're getting a snow/sleet/rain mix today so it's not safe. The forecast for Saturday is for really cold weather - 28 to 35 for the day so what I was hoping to wear (shorts and a singlet) won't be enough. Oh, the decisions, decisions.

Hope your week is happy, no matter what it brings!

2013-03-18 8:43 AM

User image

Expert

Hi guys. I actually got only 3 runs in last week. I'd planned on doing a 4th on Saturday, but woke up with wicked ankle pain on Saturday. It almost felt like something was sprained. 

Yesterday though, it slowly went away, and today feels pretty normal. I've only one training run scheduled this week before the big event on Saturday. 

I'm going through my taper according to plan.. 4 workouts for this week and I might add a swim. 

Thanks for checking in everyone and well done! Only 2 weeks till the Easter bunny comes :=)

2013-03-18 9:01 AM

User image

I wonder what you did to your ankle, Kate?! Pfewwww - a week from your event - that'd be a scarry feeling. I'm SO glad it's getting back to normal and that you listened to your body and took a rest from working it.
2013-03-18 4:46 PM
in reply to: #4664119

User image

Expert

bswcpa - 2013-03-18 10:01 AM I wonder what you did to your ankle, Kate?! Pfewwww - a week from your event - that'd be a scarry feeling. I'm SO glad it's getting back to normal and that you listened to your body and took a rest from working it.

Thanks.

I didn't do anything.. that kinda freaked me out. It feels normal today though. And I just looked at my training log and realized that I did actually get my 4 in last week. :=)

2013-03-19 2:46 PM
in reply to: #4665086

User image

Calgary, AB
KateTri1 - 2013-03-18 3:46 PM

Thanks.

I didn't do anything.. that kinda freaked me out. It feels normal today though. And I just looked at my training log and realized that I did actually get my 4 in last week. :=)

Kate -- I wish my training logs worked like that. Laughing     Best of luck on the HIM!    

Brenda -- yes, only 4 weeks away from the first tri of the year.  And truth be told, it's only my second overall -- so pretty excited about it.   My main concern now is that I haven't done any biking since October -- at some point either the weather will improve enough, or I will man up enough to haul the bike out of the garage....  Luckily the bike portion is only ~11 miles or so.  

Thanks to the solid improvement in running (inspired by this challenge!), I did succumb and sign up for a HM in late May.  Big step up from the 10K I did last fall but I'm feeling confident about it -- if I can do 8 miles already, bumping it up to 13 should be doable.  I'm just not going to be so silly as to swim & bike ahead of time.  Smile

ETA:  Brenda, I missed out on the tidbit about your upcoming marathon -- good luck to you too!

Scott.

Edited by Hoos 2013-03-19 3:05 PM

2013-03-19 7:39 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Tallahassee, Florida

Scott, you are very similar to me.  I've only done one tri and have my second in a few weeks.

Best of luck to Brenda in her mary and Kate in her HIM this weekend!!!!!!!!!!  Please post asap because I want to hear how you both did.  I'll be cheering for both you over the weekend and will bring out my pink pom poms and shake them periodically during your races.  I hope you both know that both Karl and I will be cheering for both of you.

2013-03-21 9:54 PM
in reply to: #4666892

User image

Expert
Pink Socks - 2013-03-19 8:39 PM

Scott, you are very similar to me.  I've only done one tri and have my second in a few weeks.

Best of luck to Brenda in her mary and Kate in her HIM this weekend!!!!!!!!!!  Please post asap because I want to hear how you both did.  I'll be cheering for both you over the weekend and will bring out my pink pom poms and shake them periodically during your races.  I hope you both know that both Karl and I will be cheering for both of you.

Thanks Pam!!

Sending you the best of wishes Brenda!

I got my last run in last night. I hope my legs (and feet) can carry me Sat. to the finishers shoot. That's all I ask. 

Big hugs to everyone that has made this journey the last few months! 

2013-03-24 11:38 PM

User image

Calgary, AB

#4 in the books this evening -- a 90 min / 9 mile  treadmill run.    

Plus, I also managed to get a swim in this week, so now I'm sore on arms AND legs.  Cry

Scott.

2013-03-26 7:33 PM

User image

Expert
Way to go Scott! This is the last week before the bunny comes and I hope to get 4 short runs in. I did one tonight and it felt pretty good. 
2013-03-28 9:22 AM

User image

Calgary, AB

I must face facts -- I'm not going to hit my 4x running this week.  Partially because I think my legs need a break after last week -- and partially because I'm only a couple of weeks away from my first tri of the season, and I need to dedicate a bit of time to swim and bike which have atrophied over the winter.  (Finally warm enough to bike here -- first ride in 5 months -- trust me, I need some time in the saddle!)

However -- I did want to share something -- below is a chart of my weekly run distance since I started my tri training nearly a year ago.   Notice the huge improvement starting around Christmas!

• Prior to this challenge, my max distance in a week was about 21 km -- last week I cleared 32 km.    (I used to think the concept of 20 miles a week was insane)
  • Prior to this challenge, my max run (no walks) was 60 minutes -- on Sunday I did 90 minutes.  
  • I didn't meet the challenge every week, but I hit 9 out of 13, which is 9 more than I'd ever done before.  This challenge got me up off the couch more times than I can count.
  • And largely thanks to this challenge, I got confident enough in my running to sign up for a HM in May, and feeling much more confident in my upcoming Oly in June.

So -- thanks Kate, Brenda, Pam and everyone else for the accountability!  

Scott.

(Run Volume.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Run Volume.jpg (89KB - 41 downloads)

2013-03-28 9:35 AM

User image

Expert

Beautiful share Scott!!! Way to go with your training. Fantastic!!!

I've certainly appreciated everyone who joined the journey. I am not sure If i will make the 4 runs this week either. I missed one last night and will prolly go biking tonight. 

2013-03-28 7:20 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Tallahassee, Florida
Scott, that is really cool!  These challenges are so helpful in so many ways.  But I do want to say, it looked like you had a nice build going even before the challenge.  So you already had a good plan in place and then you stepped up to the challenge.  Great job!!  Enjoy your HM too.
2013-03-29 7:22 AM

User image

I LOVE your chart, Scott. Wow! I'm so impressed! Gaining confidence has been a great side benefit of this challenge. You'll do great in your races, especially the HM. Keep that confidence going in the coming months. I understand about needing to get on the bike and in the pool so enjoy ramping those up too. It's been a pleasure getting to know you through this challenge.

Pam, you've been an awesome encourager in this challenge, sharing your HM and Mary experiences. Have you gotten some of your mojo back yet? I hope so!

Thank you so much, Kate, for putting this challenge together. The timing couldn't have been more perfect for me and I give you credit for helping me accomplish my first road marathon, so I'm forever grateful to you. You rocked your HIM while putting this challenge together and participating in other challenges. You're an awesome indvidual!

I've had just 2 recovery runs so far this week and have felt great in both. I WILL get my 3rd and 4th run in today and tomorrow as I want to finish this thing strong. I'm so excited because a friend of mine is running a 100 mile ultra in 3 weeks and she asked me to be one of her pacers which means I need to get back on the trails. Thankfully, we're supposed to have lovely weather today and tomorrow so that's where I'll be - slow - but it should be beautiful out there. I've never been a pacer before so it should be a great experience.

I'll check in on Saturday eve so you know I did what I said I was going to.

Enjoy this Friday!
2013-03-30 7:23 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Tallahassee, Florida

Ok, the Easter Bunny is coming in a few short hours but I don't want to say bye to you people.   I love you and don't want to lose you!  So I'll still log stalk all of you ad I hope to hear from all of you.

This has been fun!  I was hitting the challenge in late Nov, Dec, and I think in Jan.  After my early Feb mary, the wheels fell off and I'm not sure if it was mental or PF that sidelined my butt.  But I'm tired of that bull and will start correcting.  I did my 2nd-ever tri today and now, while I'm not shelving swimming or biking, I WILL begin to focus back on the run because, quite frankly, I need to go back to my first love.  I need happy right now - not attempts at other sports.  So I'm gonna get serious about beating the PF, run more, and run happy (Brenda, I love that expression).  I'll also try to get my swim happy back and see if I'll ever learn to bike happy.

Hope you all have a wonderful, beautiful Easter.  Keep training and I'll still have my eye on all of you.

2013-03-30 7:37 PM

User image

The feeling is mutual, Pam! I'm not as good at checking logs and sending inspires as you, especially during tax season, but I want to be like you and be an encouragement so that's my goal after April 15th. Maybe we'll meet up at another challenge. Congrats on finishing another tri! Sorry you haven't found your happy place. You'll get there, I'm confident.

I got my last 2 runs in - both were on the trails and it was greatly refreshing! So that's a wrap with "Running 4x a week till the Easter Bunny Comes Challenge". Just SO happy to have been a part of the journey with you, Kate, Scott and Pam!

May you each have a blessed Easter!

Brenda

2013-03-31 4:50 PM

User image

Calgary, AB

Thanks all for the encouragement!  

I have to add a side note -- a rather unexpected benefit... the 4x run challenge has managed to improve my bike too!   I got myself back on the bike 3x this week, first time since October:

• Wednesday -- bit of a gong show -- could only do 1 lap around the block (6 km) before my legs were cooked.   
  • Saturday  -- got it up to 2 laps (12 km), then again my legs were cooked.   (lesson learned -- don't skip 5 months of bike training
  • Sunday -- my legs were finally feeling OK, and I really really noticed the impact of vastly improved cardio (plus reduced weight) which I attribute to the 4x run training.   I could go faster up the nasty hills, I recovered much more quickly, and generally saw less of a fall-off in effort / speed during the workout.    Overall -- I covered the distance for my upcoming sprint tri, and kept my pace reliably above 25 km/hr which has long been my nemesis.   Essentially I'm at (or slightly better than) where I was in October -- not bad for the first week back.

Still a lot of work to be done, but wow do I ever feel prepared for the first race!  

Scott. 

New Thread
Other Resources Challenge Me! » Running 4x a week till the Easter Bunny Comes Challenge Rss Feed  

of 5