General Discussion Race Reports! » Tri the Parks - Indian Springs SP (Swank!) Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Tri the Parks - Indian Springs SP (Swank!) - TriathlonSprint

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Flovilla, Georgia
United States
Blue Sky Sports
Total Time = 1h 24m 9s
Overall Rank = 208/475
Age Group = 30-34 M
Age Group Rank = 29/42
Pre-race routine:

Stayed at HD's place in Jackson the night before. Slept okay. We got up at 5:30a and that's when I realized that I brought a pair of my bike shorts instead of my tri shorts. They look so similar that I pull the wrong ones off the drying rack when I was packing and never thought to check if they were my tri shorts. At that point I wasn't going to not race so I ate my cliff bar and bannanna and loaded the bikes on the car. About 5 min from the SP, HD realized he forgot his bike helmet so we had to turn around. No biggie since he only lives 15m from there. My shorts, now the helmet... this was a great start...
Event warmup:

Set up my transition station. Swam about 100m about 5min before the start. Maybe cut it a little too close. I need to warmup earlier next time.
Swim
  • 17m 9s
  • 656 yards
  • 02m 35s / 100 yards
Comments:

My first age group swim. Got off to the right side to try and stay out of the fray, but it didn't help. By the first 100m, I was thinking "If it's like this the whole way I'm in trouble!". It was really tough since I was being pushed, kicked, swam over, etc from the start to about 100m or so. I got to about 150m and had to breakstroke to get my breathing back and head into my own race and not everyone else's. After rounding the main 200m bouy, it was fine from there. At 400m the tops from the second wave were starting to pass me. I've got a long way to go...
What would you do differently?:

I really can't complain. I cut my time from MT by 2:32 and I was swimming with my age group, so I was VERY happy with this time with where I am right now. Just need to stay the course with my training.
Transition 1
  • 01m 31s
Comments:

27th of 42. I really like wearing socks. Plus I have the wrong kind of bike shoes. I have the shimano R130s which have the adjustable strap - not good for tris. Until I ditch those and learn to jump on the bike, I really can't improve much.

Bike shoes with single strap. Try not using socks.

Bring my tri shorts! The first few miles of the bike ride was alittle squishy.
Bike
  • 41m 58s
  • 12.8 miles
  • 18.30 mile/hr
Comments:

I really struggled on this ride. The rolling hills really took more out of me than the race at MT. And I didn't drink enough during the ride.

I have only been biking an average of 2 hours per week. This is clearly not enough. I really blew it on the bike hydration for this race. It cost me on the run.
Transition 2
  • 01m 5s
Comments:

27th of 42. Did a good job on the dismount, actually jumped off my bike and into a run just like I practiced. The wierd thing about it was that I didn't even think about it, just did it. The run up to the transition was rocky and up a hill. Not much fun. The bike shoes were a real pain to try to remove.

New bike shoes - those adjustable straps are a killer for transitions. Hydrate on the bike more. I had to take a big drink at the trans which killed time.
Run
  • 22m 24s
  • 3.1 miles
  • 07m 14s  min/mile
Comments:

I really did not like this run. From the T2, you go into the woods then shortly hit the road. About 1/4 mile on the road there is a turn-around. The humidity was so high, that going up the hill after this turn-around I had a hard time breathing. I can't remember the last time this has happend. It took me until mile 1 to re-catch my breath and hit my usual stride. Running through both campsite loops really blew. They both start off downhill (almost too steep to full stride), loop around, and go back uphill. I finished this run thinking "this was the worst 5k ever" - I serious thought I ran it in 24min.

Not run this course again. No, I would, but seriously, the high humidity really killed this from being a sub7 pace for me.
Post race
Warm down:

Really had to catch my breath after this one. Walked around, water, bagles, etc.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Humidity and as always training
Overall I am happy about the race. The training is paying off. I had a faster swim, bike, and run over MT.

Event comments:

I want to do this race next year since I think I could have done better.

I would also remember to bring my tri shorts next time. Running the race in my bike shorts wa not as bad as I thought it would be, but I wouldn't recommend it. :)

Last updated: 2006-06-07 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:17:09 | 656 yards | 02m 35s / 100yards
Age Group: 36/42
Overall: 0/475
Performance: Good
Suit: No
Course: Triangle course
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Below average Remainder: Good
Breathing: Average Drafting:
Waves: Navigation: Below average
Rounding:
T1
Time: 01:31
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:41:58 | 12.8 miles | 18.30 mile/hr
Age Group: 31/42
Performance:
Wind:
Course: Out and back. Lots of rolling hills with a nice sized one soon after T1.
Road: Rough Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Average Hills:
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 01:05
Overall: Below average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Below average
Running
00:22:24 | 03.1 miles | 07m 14s  min/mile
Age Group: 14/42
Performance: Below average
Course: Mostly road run. Loops around both camsites in the park.
Keeping cool Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized?
Events on-time?
Lots of volunteers?
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5]

{postbutton}
2006-06-26 8:50 AM

User image

Regular
Newton, MA
Subject: Tri the Parks - Indian Springs SP (Swank!)

2006-06-26 10:16 AM
in reply to: #465570

User image

The Original
Raleigh/Durham
Subject: RE: Tri the Parks - Indian Springs SP (Swank!)
So you did the entire race in your soggy bike shorts???  I don't know if I could handled the feeling of wearing a soggy diaper.  I bike without socks (even for the 1/2 IM) distance and don't have issues with blistering or anything- amazing.  I find that it's easier to put socks on in T2 becuase your feet are dry from the bike.  Nice race- glad that you improved on your swim time!  Now you just need to spend some more time on the bike!!
2006-06-26 9:23 PM

User image

Veteran
Dothan, Alabama
Nice report and nice race. Sorry I had to work, not sorry to miss the hills. Try riding without socks, you may be surprised. I've been training without socks since MT, on rides up to 30 miles without a problem. I actually prefer it now. I seem to "feel" my pedal stroke better, and not a hint of blisters.
2006-06-26 11:02 PM

User image

Veteran
Norcross, GA

Job well done!  I swam in my bike shorts once and boy, that was wierd.  You were smokin' on the run!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Tri the Parks - Indian Springs SP (Swank!) Rss Feed