General Discussion Triathlon Talk » bike transport to cozumel Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2012-12-10 8:20 AM

Subject: bike transport to cozumel

hey folks,

any suggestions for bike transport to cozumel. tribike is going to cost 350 +60 dollar insurance for damages. so 410. kinda pricey considering all the disclaimers. they are not responsible for anything and i've heard some horror stories.

anyone have better luck with another company? i heard there was a guy that did this stuff and he racked the bikes up much much safer.

i'de personally like to avoid buying a box and flying with it since it'll be that much more (200 each way and 400-500 for the box) but if it's that much safer i would consider it.

thoughts/suggestions?

john

2012-12-10 10:17 AM
in reply to: #4528855

User image

Wichita
Subject: RE: bike transport to cozumel
Have you looked into the possibility of renting a tri bike there?  Not sure if they have that but it would seem cheaper.  
2012-12-10 10:55 AM

User image

Pro
Burbs

I don't know of other companies, but I would avoid flying with your bike. I did it for IMCOZ (Tribike transport didn't go to Cozy in 2009) and it was a HUGE PITA! 

I'd also advise against renting a bike  ... 112 mi is a long way to go on a bike that you aren't familiar with.. 

Edited by trishie 2012-12-10 10:56 AM
2012-12-10 6:37 PM

User image

Danielson Ct
I used Bikeflights this past summer and they were good.  They work with Fedex so not sure how they would be out of country.
2012-12-10 7:45 PM

User image

, Utah
I flew with my bike to IMCoz in 2010 and again this year and had no issues.  It isn't that big of a hassle or that time consuming to pack/unpack a bike.  If you don't have a box, many shops rent them, or better yet see if you have a friend who has one that you can borrow.  Also, if you fly to several races the bike case is well worth it.  I bought mine used for $200 in 2000 and have used it a ton since then! I don't know what airline you would be using but Delta charges $150 each way, so $300 round trip and about $100 less then TBT for IMCoz.  I think Delta is about the most expensive out there and I don't know of any airline that charges $200 each way, but maybe some do.  Also, you will need to be prepared to drop your bike off about 1.5 weeks before the race with TBT and not get it back for about the same amount of time after the race.  TBT seemed to have the bikes there on time this year, but I heard that in 2011 the bikes didn't arrive until Friday (I heard this, so I don't know for use).  Personally, having to be without my TT bike for that long and the added cost are enough to keep me from using their service.
2012-12-11 10:36 PM

thanks for the input. i would NEVER rent a bike for 112 miles. why spend the money to get custom fitted etc and not bother using it on race day?!?!?!?! that sounds absurd. probably the worst advice i've ever heard in my life.

i'm mainly hesitant about flying with it because if i take a connecting flight or have to switch at cancun (if i go that route) i'm really worried about my bike being lost. i either want TBT to have it at all times or the bike to be in my hands at all times. i probably don't want to lug it around on the ferry, from what i heard it's a royal PITA. i can't imagine having to carry 2 suitcases and a bike case onto a ferry, seems like a huge headache.

not having the bike for 1.5 weeks before and after is no big deal. i don't plan on riding outdoors in the end of nov in boston anyways.

does anyone know of any other services?

bests,

john

2012-12-11 11:36 PM

User image

Veteran
austin, Texas

John,

I did IMCOZ last year.  While I went the "fly the bike with me" route to save money, I wouldn't do it again.   It was annoying having to trek the bike from the airport into a bigger taxi to our hotel in Cancun for the night (there were 3 bikes, couldn't get in a standard cab).  Then we had to lug it back down to the ferry over cobblestone roads, onto the ferry, off the ferry, on bumpy roads into the hotel...Not impossible, but not carefree either.   Then I had to put the bike together myself which I screwed up.   Sure, could be avoided if I wasn't an idiot, but it is what it is.   The AM after the race I had to take my stinky / sticky bike apart, get it into the box, lug it back through the hotel into the cab, into the ferry, etc. ... Same process and it was more annoying coming home.   

Doing it again, I would 100% use U.S.A.: ENDURANCE SPORTS TRAVEL (official travel agent) and pay the extra amount.  They had mechanics on site, as well a few of the 'ah has' like Co2 (which you can't bring with you on a plane), pumps, tools, etc. that you might forget. 

It feels like a lot, and generally i'm very cheap.  However, I would 100% recommend it to someone again considering the nominal cost increase for the peace of mind and just having someone help you through it.  

As far as the problems... if they really were that bad would they still be around?   United lost my bags flying to Aruba for a wedding a few months ago.  Almost didn't have clothes to wear to the ceremony.  Imagine if that happens to your bike on race day.  

Your LBS will let you know when the bike gets picked up, all the bikes get put in a container and you know when yours is added and you know when it arrives.   happens everywhere -- but I'd put my confidence in the travel agent above without a doubt.  

Edited by matcrawf 2012-12-11 11:39 PM
2012-12-12 9:43 AM

User image

Veteran
Georgia

I have raced IMCoz twice, once in 2009 and again a couple of weeks ago. We flew to Cancun direct both times and took a taxi then ferry to Cozumel. In 2009, I bought a case and flew with my bike - it cost me $200 for the case and $100 each way on Delta - I succesfully argued for an oversize fee on the way down and Delta honored the same fee for the return. Total cost of $400, plus the huge pain in the of waiting for the bike to come through as special baggage, going through customs with the bike and luggage, hauling it to the taxi, hauling it from the taxi a few blocks to the ferry terminal, hauling it to the ferry, hauling it from the ferry to another taxi in Cozumel, and then piecing it back together. This was on top of the anxiety of someone breaking something during transport. We flew out early the day after the race, so I had to disassemble the bike after finishing the race and proceed with the same process all over again. This year, I paid the $400 to Tribike Transport with an extra $25 to insure it to $5000. I dropped it at bike shop in Atlanta and picked it up in Cozumel a couple of days before the race - the process was seamless. After the race, Tribike was set up on the other side of the fence from where the bikes were being stored near T2. I wheeled the bike over and did not have to deal with it again until it arrived back in Atlanta a week later. The process was so easy, I would have paid twice the cost when I dropped the bike off after the race and did not have to worry about getting it back to the hotel, ferry, airport, etc.

Bottom line is that by doing Cozumel, you are going to spend some money. You may save a couple of dollars by taking the bike yourself depending on the airline's fees or you may break even as I did in 2009 with buying a case and a discounted baggage fee (Tribike was not an option that year). Save yourself the worry and trouble and go with Tribike Transport.

2012-12-12 3:10 PM

User image

Master
When I did Cozumel 2 years ago, I flew directly onto the island. I borrowed a bike box from a friend (but a local  bike shop was willing to rent me one) The airline didn't charge for the bike  because they said they were running an "Ironman Special" I think the check-in agents have some leeway on baggage charge. Getting the bike to the hotel was no problem. We stayed at the Palace and they arranged airport pick-up and drop-off. Cold towels on arrival and water. Based on that experience, I would do it the same way next time.
2012-12-12 7:44 PM

I did Cozumel this year and used TBT and have nothing bad to say about them. Watching people with their bike boxes made me glad that I shipped it with TBT.

The bike was there Thursday and the drop off was right by T2. When you finish an IM, the less you have to take back with you to the hotel the better and it was so nice not to have to worry about the bike after the race.

Got it back about a week after I got back from Cozumel. Will defenitly use them again if I need to.

Good luck!

2012-12-13 10:39 AM
in reply to: #4531727

User image

Extreme Veteran
West Michigan
ahhchon - 2012-12-11 11:36 PM

thanks for the input. i would NEVER rent a bike for 112 miles. why spend the money to get custom fitted etc and not bother using it on race day?!?!?!?! that sounds absurd. probably the worst advice i've ever heard in my life.

i'm mainly hesitant about flying with it because if i take a connecting flight or have to switch at cancun (if i go that route) i'm really worried about my bike being lost. i either want TBT to have it at all times or the bike to be in my hands at all times. i probably don't want to lug it around on the ferry, from what i heard it's a royal PITA. i can't imagine having to carry 2 suitcases and a bike case onto a ferry, seems like a huge headache.

not having the bike for 1.5 weeks before and after is no big deal. i don't plan on riding outdoors in the end of nov in boston anyways.

does anyone know of any other services?

bests,

john

Why be a jerk when all the poster was doing was throwing out an idea??

2012-12-13 10:44 AM
in reply to: #4533079

User image

Elite
Cleveland
tariqali - 2012-12-12 8:44 PM

I did Cozumel this year and used TBT and have nothing bad to say about them. Watching people with their bike boxes made me glad that I shipped it with TBT.

The bike was there Thursday and the drop off was right by T2. When you finish an IM, the less you have to take back with you to the hotel the better and it was so nice not to have to worry about the bike after the race.

Got it back about a week after I got back from Cozumel. Will defenitly use them again if I need to.

Good luck!

This here is why I'll be using TBT for San Juan.

To be able to simple show up and have my bike waiting by transition for me to check it in, and more importantly, to be able to just hand it off to them right after the race and not have to worry about keeping it in the hotel room... it's worth the extra small amount to me for that.

When I figure that I'm looking at roughly $100-$150 each way for the airline, plus $50 to rent a bike case.... paying TBT $350 is money well spent to be able to avoid any extra headaches.

2012-12-27 11:42 AM
in reply to: #4532808

New user

United States
What airline did you flight into Cozumel?

Thank you!

PS: I'm considering doing Cozumel in 2013 and trying to figure out options.
2012-12-27 7:10 PM

User image

Expert
Cincinnati
I also used TBT for IM Coz '12 and had no issues. I saw people dragging bike boxes onto the ferry and it looked like a huge pain. My bike was where it was supposed to be before the race, was never disassembled, worked great and it was so nice being able to just drop it off right after the race and not have to worry about it. I'd do it the same way again in a heartbeat.
2012-12-27 8:49 PM

User image

Veteran
Aurora, Illinois

Give shipbikes a try.  Not sure what the international rates are.  I'm lucky enough that they are a few blocks away from where I live, I stumbled upon them while walking my dogs! 

But I gave them a try this year and will probably continue to use them.  I flew across the country for a race and they only charged like $55 each way, delivered via FedEx (trackable) to my hotel.  Then they picked up from the hotel and delivered to my home.  WAY cheaper and easier then flying with the bike. 

2012-12-27 9:00 PM

User image

Veteran
Mission Viejo,

I think pen was just trying to give you an option (renting), that is an option. Maybe not a good one in your opinion, but I doubt it's the worst advice EVER!  My advice:  Don't race there!  There you have it!

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » bike transport to cozumel Rss Feed