Firm Racing
65F / 18C
Precipitation
Total Time = 00m
Overall Rank = 0/0
Age Group = Athena
Age Group Rank = 0/0
Pre-race routine:

We had an Easy drive down to the race with Tara from Wheelworks. Pre-race nutrition was a nectarine, a banana and water. No coffee for me. I was disappointed in myself for not bringing rain gear of any kind as it was drizzling and sometimes pouring rain in the hour before the start. I only got warm once I put my wetsuit on, but then there was a long wait on the beach while the race dirs checked the bike course for debris & fallen trees!
Event warmup:

Short swim in wonderful water -- perfect temp, somewhat turbid with visibility similar to Mystic Lake.
Swim
  • 15m 38s
  • 880 yards
  • 01m 47s / 100 yards
Comments:

I felt like I was in good company with the women in wave 3, and the race started pretty much as planned. I swam a solid, middle-of-the-pack pace for 16:45 in the half-mile.
What would you do differently?:

Learn how to draft better and watch the beach/buoys more closely for a tighter course.
Transition 1
  • 02m 30s
Comments:

Peeling out of my wetsuit in T1 was tricky. My ankle got stuck. I didn't fall over in to the mudpit thank goodness, but it was close. My cycling shoes were soaked and I had to run through mud puddles to get out of the transition area and onto the road. Ugh!

Practice and time this transition in training!
Bike
  • 00m
  • 12 miles
  • 0.00 mile/hr
Comments:

It was steadily raining and although the roads seemed fine, I got a flaaaaat back tire at about mile 5 of 12. Anyway, I had everything I needed so I set about fixing it. 10 mins later I'm rolling again for about 30 seconds and then pfffft -- flat again! I had only one spare tube, and it wasn't holding air anymore, so my luck had run out. I was bummed because I had never had a flat in a race, or had to drop out of a race. Today was just not my day. *sigh*

A local police officer scooped me and my wet bike into his cruiser and took me back along the miles I'd ridden to the race location. He radioed in to the organizers that he had cyclist #339 from the course, and all was well except for the bike. Then he dropped me off and I carried my bike to the transition area, wheel-in-hand as I couldn't easily remount my wheel with the flat. Some cyclists were still coming in though and the race organizers asked what had happened to my bike. I explained the flats and said that I'd still like to run, if that would be OK, so they had me walk over the timing chip mat, which in hindsight was a mistake.

[Note to self: just turn in the timing chip when/if this ever happens again.]

Transition 2
  • 00m
Comments:

T2 didn't really happen as I DNF'd on the bike course.
Run
  • 26m 33s
  • 3 miles
  • 08m 51s  min/mile
Comments:

I laced up the shoes and ran a good but rater forgettable 3-mile finishing leg in about 26 minutes. As I neared the finish line, I was puzzled to hear the announcer read, "Here's #339, Sunny Schettler from Cambridge, Mass.". What, they thought I was still racing?! I guess they pick people out randomly, and though it's nice when you're actually still racing, to me it was disconcerting. Didn't they know I'd DNF'd with the flat? I told the number-keeping race official at the line that, no, I had not finished the race. And lo, I checked the race page on my computer and was credited with a very fast bike time (wrong!) and a 3rd place finish in the Athena division. Ooops! I already e-mailed the race organizers with the correct. I still feel bad about the mixup because I actually do remember passing the 4th place (really, 3rd!) Athena at mile 2.5 on the run. I told her as I ran by that I wasn't officially in the race anymore, but she probably didn't quite get it/hear me as we were both huffing along at a pretty quick pace by then. Hopefully she stayed around for the awards anyway and took home her 3rd place hardware...

[Note to self: remove the timing chip if DNF'ing]

Post race
Warm down:

I met with the other WWMS athletes, exchanged stories, and munched on cinnamon rolls. I also got to see KathyG and Joanne and one of the guy BT'ers, so that was fun! By then the rain had stopped but it was still cloudy. Just not the best day for racing, or for bicycling IMHO. Given the chance to do it all again, I would but I hopefully won't have such mechanical issues on the next race I tri.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Lack of real, T1 practice, the 2 bike flats that DNF'd me, etc.

Event comments:

I did not like the long run up the asphalt to T1/T2. Why didn't the race orgs use the lower, beachside parking lot? Makes no sense to me.

I have e-mailed the race org folks about my DNF and hope that they will update the Results Page soon...I feel bad about beating Miss 3rd place Athena because if I had been racing, she'd have been my rabbit. I noticed her on the beach and thought "I'd really like to keep up with her". She was tall and looked FAST! We'd have been neck-and-neck on the bike if I'd been able to stay in the game.
http://www.firm-racing.com/result_report.asp?RID=524&type=4&cat=Ath...

Last updated: 2006-06-18 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:15:38 | 880 yards | 01m 47s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/0
Overall: 0/0
Performance: Average
Suit: Orca Speedsuit, Full
Course: Inverted triangle, well-marked and not too crowded
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 72F / 22C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Good Drafting: Below average
Waves: Good Navigation: Average
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 02:30
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
00:00:00 | 12 miles | 0.00 mile/hr
Performance:
No pace data.
Wind:
Course: A fairly messy course with puddles and debris
Road: Rough Wet Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering:
Gear changes: Good Hills:
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks:
T2
Time: 00:00
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:26:33 | 03 miles | 08m 51s  min/mile
Performance: Good
Course: The course was dull and had only a few scenic views as most of it was on a kind of access road along the edge of town.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Too easy
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Below average
Race evaluation [1-5] 2

{postbutton}
2006-06-26 9:29 AM

User image

Master
Cambridge, MA
Subject: Webster Lake Triathlon
DNF'd on the bike, but had an OK race anyway.  Just some confusion on the stats/results, which I feel badly about given that I told no fewer than 4 race organizing people at the race (including a police officer radio'ing in to still more officials) that I was not officially finishing the course due to flat tires.

Edited by SunnyS 2006-06-26 9:33 AM

2006-06-26 9:45 AM
in reply to: #465635

User image

Elite
New City, New York
Subject: RE: Webster Lake Triathlon
Bummer about the flat. Most of us are only prepared for one too. Kudos to you for doing the run, I probably woundn't have,. Next time!
2006-06-26 10:12 AM

User image

Master
Bronze member
Nice to meet the "virtual Sunny" ..Sorry you had the flat thing & a dnf..especially given the "conditions" LOl- It was a fun day tho..and the mixup is not your deal- the 3rd placer will see her results & all is good- Nice job on swim & run!
2006-06-26 12:49 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Boston, MA
Sorry to hear about the flats. Stuff happens, and now you have gotten the "getting a flat in a race" out of the way. Think of it as falling with clipless pedals. You're primed to have an awesome rest of the season.
2006-06-26 1:09 PM

User image

Resident Matriarch
N 43° 32.927 W 071° 24.431

wow, that sucks about the flat.  Hopefully FIRM will get it all sorted out correctly.  Sorry we didn't get the chance to meet yesterday.

2006-06-26 2:43 PM

User image

Master
Cambridge, MA

Thanks, everyone.  It was a tough break for my first race of the season, but I'm hopeful that flat tires won't happen again.  I have cause to hope, too.  After the race I walked my wounded baby down to the Wheelworks bike shop where they gave her a new kevlar-reinforced (but still fairly light) back tire, a new sticky bit of rim tape all around, and a new tube, so I should be all set for flat-free riding for at least a little while.  

Hopefully!

Hoping to see more BT'ers out at Mass/NH events this summer.  It was so fun to meet a few of you yesterday and hopefully more next time.

2006-06-26 3:07 PM

Hey- I'm the 'real' third place finisher! lol I left the race thinking I placed 5th and was really bummed since I actually ran the whole run, which I usually don't. You were really moving when you passed me!

I thought this was a great race, and I'm glad I decided to do it that morning at 5am when my kids woke me up for millionth time that night.

Sorry it didn't work for you as you had planned.

2006-06-26 3:43 PM
in reply to: #466296

User image

Master
Cambridge, MA

Quigley - 2006-06-26 4:07 PM Hey- I'm the 'real' third place finisher! lol I left the race thinking I placed 5th and was really bummed since I actually ran the whole run, which I usually don't. You were really moving when you passed me! I thought this was a great race, and I'm glad I decided to do it that morning at 5am when my kids woke me up for millionth time that night. Sorry it didn't work for you as you had planned.

No kidding, well, it's nice to meet you, again!  I got an email from Wendy Fiske-? saying that FIRM would update the results.  Keep an eye out for your rightful 3rd place Athena award -- if I'd have stayed around for awards (and been aware of the mix-up sooner) I'd have given it to you myself. 

Glad you had a good race day and none of my bad luck on the bike.  I was just loving that downhill portion of the run.  Hopefully we'll race more later this summer.  Keep an eye out!  A little friendly competition will make us both better Athenas.   Nice to know you're here on BT.com as well...see you 'round.

Cheers, -Sunny

2006-06-26 8:00 PM

User image

Champion
MA

Sunny it was great to meet you finally! Thanks for finding me twice and introducing yourself!

Bummer about the DNF...funny about Firm. They called your name at the awards...first place Athena was a guy...they had it all messed up. After the awards I mentioned to Wendy that you had not finished and they should look into it. I felt bad as the real 3rd place finisher who is on BT but I didn't know that, missed out. I'm sure they'll mail her the award...they are wicked cool this year

I know you are training for Timberman and will do awesome up there!

Who'd think you need two tubes for a sprint? 

2006-06-27 8:39 AM
in reply to: #466654

User image

Master
Cambridge, MA
KathyG - 2006-06-26 9:00 PM

Sunny it was great to meet you finally! Thanks for finding me twice and introducing yourself!

Bummer about the DNF...funny about Firm. They called your name at the awards...first place Athena was a guy...they had it all messed up. After the awards I mentioned to Wendy that you had not finished and they should look into it. I felt bad as the real 3rd place finisher who is on BT but I didn't know that, missed out. I'm sure they'll mail her the award...they are wicked cool this year

I know you are training for Timberman and will do awesome up there!

Who'd think you need two tubes for a sprint? 

Thanks for being so recognizeable in the BT kit Kathy!! 

I'm giggling at the thought of a guy getting called up for 1st Athena... hee hee!  And I'm glad that Heather, the real 3rd place Athena, will get her nifty award in due time. 

I'm just happy to have a good, solid rear tire and tube again -- I took it out this morning for my first post-race ride and everything went just fine!  Had a good bike/swim combo at the Lake.   May try to run this evening since my Timberman training plan is way ahead of me right now and I don't want to be playing catch-up in August. 

Thanks for your good humor and encouragement!!

2006-06-27 8:47 AM

User image

Pro
MA

small world.  The real and the "fake" 3rd place are both BTers    Happy ending to the story. 

Sorry about the flat, Sunny.  It's great you still want to run after that. 

I'll have to join you at mystic Lake some day. 

2006-06-27 1:34 PM

User image

Master
Cambridge, MA

(P.S.  Just saw that FIRM corrected my listing, so she's got her rightful 3rd place finish and I have (doh!PENALTY INCURED: DQ )

Now I feel like a renegade of some kind...too funny!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Webster Lake Triathlon Rss Feed