General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Beginner friendly mountain bike rides/races? r/o Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2012-12-11 11:35 AM

Veteran
Subject: Beginner friendly mountain bike rides/races? r/o

I'm looking for the 'easy road bike tour' version of a mountain bike event.  Something not very technical that is beginner friendly. 

I've tried some short track racing in Boulder, and while it's not technical, it was way too competitive/high intensity for me.

I'm a super nervous mtb rider and looking for a goal event to challenge myself a little but not totally freak me out.  In runners terms - like the Race for the Cure 5K.   Does this exist near the Denver/Boulder area?

Thanks!

2012-12-11 12:46 PM
in reply to: #4530716

User image

Elite
Subject: RE: Beginner friendly mountain bike rides/races? r/o
As far as trails, your local bike shop would know better than me. That is always the best place to start. There are several "festival" in Colorado with a variety of rides. There is Eagle Rock in Castle Rock. The
"unofficial" start to the Colorado riding season. Check them out. Great event.... family fun rides, MTB courses all the way to a the road century. I have not road the MTB courses, but I would suspect they would be to your liking. Great event though.
2012-12-11 3:06 PM

User image

Pro
Parker, CO

I don't MB anymore so I have no suggestions for races.  However, I've ridden many of the MB trails in the Denver area.  Jefferson County has many trails for moutain biking.  Probably the easiest would be Three Sisters in Evergreen, lower portion of Elk Meadows, and Green Mountain.  Keep in mind that there is some good climbing on these rides; however, the trails are not too technical.  I've also heard that C?entennial Cone is a good entry lever MB...though I have never ridden it. See link below for map and directions. http://jeffco.us/openspace/openspace_T56_R108.htm

2012-12-11 3:43 PM

User image

Indian Hills, CO
I've not competed in any but I hear the Winter Park series has all sorts of levels. I know several people who have raced there. Some happy with where they were, some moved up in categories.

Good luck!
2012-12-11 10:31 PM

User image

Expert
Evergreen, Colorado
Bronze member

I'd love to know the answer to this too. I just started mtn biking this year and love it and would love a goal to train for, but I'm a bit timid and worried about being in everyone's way at a legit mtn bike race. I'd like to do Xterra Lory as the bike course seems beginner friendly, but haven't found any mtn bike races yet.

I was looking at a couple of the Rocky Mtn Endurance Series (http://www.warriorscycling.com/races/battle-the-bear/) since they have a beginner XC category, but it seems like there were only like 5 women total competing in the beginner class in previous years. Has anyone here done any of these races? Are they pretty intense or are the beginner races really beginner-friendly?

2012-12-12 1:24 PM

New user
We've just added an off-road tri to the Desert's Edge Triathlon weekend at Highline Lake State Park in Fruita. The bike course is all rideable with a mix of single-track and double-track. Really fun for beginners and veteran off-road triathletes. www.DesertsEdgeTri.com

Let me know if you have any questions.

-Darrin
www.racingunderground.com

2012-12-14 11:20 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Highlands Ranch, Colorado
Highlands Ranch offers a series of mountain bike races that are rather low key.  There are definitely some good riders there but you can seed yourself appropriately and be fine.  2013 apparently will be hosted by the HRCA Backcountry Wilderness Area (I have no idea what this means).  They currently don't  have any info posted.  But the races are fun and on non-technical trails with plenty of up and down.
2013-01-21 4:50 PM

Expert
Golden, CO

I know of a beginner women's race in June at Bear Creek.   Elephant Rock has the 24 hour mtb race if anyone is interested in putting together a beginner team.. The course is pretty non-technical.  I would love to also do some beginner races this year and am looking at Lory as well as others.

Hopefully we can get some information to share on this forum.

2013-01-22 11:25 AM

User image

Master
Denver

I've never done Elephant Rock, but they have a 27 mile mtn bike ride that goes on dirt roads, paved paths & roads.  Sounds pretty non-technical and would be a non-competitive ride.  There's also a weekend of races at Bear Creek State Park & it says they have an option for a 20 mile or 10 mile XC race.  I've never done the race, but I know the trails there and they're not very technical so would be a good first race.  I hadn't really thought about signing up for it but now that I think about it, that could be a good early season motivator since I'm thinking I'm going to try & have my goal race this summer be a mtb race.

I have done a couple of races in the Winter Park series.  They were my first (and so far only) mtb races and I had a blast.  They were a bit more technical than Bear Creek and the altitude made them more challenging, but overall I thought they were a great intro to mtb racing.  I was really nervous about the whole passing thing and not wanting to hold anyone up beforehand.  I started in the beginner category so everyone else was new to racing too and in the end I found it to be a non-issue.  Whenever someone faster wanted to pass they just call out that they're behind you and then you just pull off whenever you get a chance and let them by.  And if they followed but never said anything I just figured they were fine going my pace I didn't really concern myself.  There are also usually good places to pass anyway since the courses usually aren't all single track.  I found that early on people sorted themselves out by pace so there wasn't a whole lot of need to pass and if you were nervous about it you could just wait until a double track section.

ETA:  Looks like the Bear Creek race is part of a series that starts April 20.  I'm intrigued...

Just saw Stacers posted the same series. I've found in general the mtb community is a pretty fun-loving, laid back crowd & very encouraging of each other.

Edited by drewb8 2013-01-22 11:33 AM
2013-01-24 10:48 AM

User image

Expert
Evergreen, Colorado
Bronze member

So I found this women's race at Bear Creek in June - ersmith you might look into it as it looks beginner friendly (they have a "never-ever" division and Bear Creek is totally non-technical):

http://www.betibikebash.com/Home.html

I'm normally anti women's only events, but I'd do one to get my feet wet with mountain biking. I look at the race results for the other race series and it's like 100 men and 2 women. So, I think I'm going to do this one for sure. I wanted to do Lory the day before but have a scheduling conflict.

Drew - I thought that series looked cool too. They all seem to be pretty easy courses, so I have a hunch everybody is balls to the wall for the whole race. I could just bring up the rear

2013-01-24 11:40 AM

Expert
Golden, CO
Stacers...that Betibash race is awesome and fun. I volunteered last year and know a lot of people that did it. I am trying to get my wife and her friend to do it this year. 

2013-01-24 11:52 AM
in reply to: #4531721

User image

Extreme Veteran
Stacers - 2012-12-11 9:31 PM

I'd love to know the answer to this too. I just started mtn biking this year and love it and would love a goal to train for, but I'm a bit timid and worried about being in everyone's way at a legit mtn bike race. I'd like to do Xterra Lory as the bike course seems beginner friendly, but haven't found any mtn bike races yet.

I was looking at a couple of the Rocky Mtn Endurance Series (http://www.warriorscycling.com/races/battle-the-bear/) since they have a beginner XC category, but it seems like there were only like 5 women total competing in the beginner class in previous years. Has anyone here done any of these races? Are they pretty intense or are the beginner races really beginner-friendly?

Those look like a blast!  Maybe we should have a meet up for them! 

I agree Lory is a beginner friendly course for an Xterra.

2013-01-24 12:33 PM
in reply to: #4592830

User image

Master
Denver
Stacers - 2013-01-24 9:48 AM

So I found this women's race at Bear Creek in June - ersmith you might look into it as it looks beginner friendly (they have a "never-ever" division and Bear Creek is totally non-technical):

http://www.betibikebash.com/Home.html

I'm normally anti women's only events, but I'd do one to get my feet wet with mountain biking. I look at the race results for the other race series and it's like 100 men and 2 women. So, I think I'm going to do this one for sure. I wanted to do Lory the day before but have a scheduling conflict.

Drew - I thought that series looked cool too. They all seem to be pretty easy courses, so I have a hunch everybody is balls to the wall for the whole race. I could just bring up the rear

That's how I did it.  I just pretended it was a swim start in a tri and put myself towards the back so I wouldn't get in the way.  I'm sure the people racing the short distances will be going all out, and once the gun sounds I probably won't see them again anyway.  But I think a lot of people do the endurance distances too so it might not be as bad as you think.  I'm thinking I might start at the 20 mi distances for the first few races and then move into the longer ones later on since I think my big race for the year is going to be a 12hr mtb in Aug.  I'm looking at them more as fun, organized training rides. 
2013-01-25 11:18 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Highlands Ranch, Colorado
I think I'll be jumping into some of these races, they look fun and they're pretty local.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Beginner friendly mountain bike rides/races? r/o Rss Feed