of 2

2012-12-12 12:16 PM
in reply to: #4532218

User image

Not a Coach
Media, PA
Subject: RE: Coffee alternative?
mtx - 2012-12-12 11:23 AM

I will try to cut back on some activities but can't promise. Deep down I still think that I am not over doing it right now and that if I can decent sleep, all this might 'go away'.

You are probably correct that if you get decent sleep, then your problem will subside.  However, you HAVE to cut something back in order to get more/better sleep.  It may be training, reading, surfing, showering, etc.  Don't surf, watch or even read in bed.  I know people do this, but bed is for sleeping.  Especially given that you are having trouble in that department, it makes sense to focus on it more.  When it is bedtime, head to bed and lights out.

In your situation, I would suggest considering becoming a 'morning' person (probably conflicts with hockey, so you may discard this suggestion quickly).  Get up an hour or so earlier and do your workout then.  That way, you don't have to try to go to bed shortly after raising your HR in exercise, showering, cooling down, etc.  With the kids in bed by 8pm, getting to bed by 9pm for you should not be a problem (ex-hockey nights).  That buys you an hour+ of sleep a night right there.  I know it's a big change, but worth at least considering.

2012-12-12 12:46 PM
in reply to: #4532438

User image

Master
Livonia, MI
JohnnyKay - 2012-12-12 1:16 PM

I will try to cut back on some activities but can't promise. Deep down I still think that I am not over doing it right now and that if I can decent sleep, all this might 'go away'.

You are probably correct that if you get decent sleep, then your problem will subside.  However, you HAVE to cut something back in order to get more/better sleep.  It may be training, reading, surfing, showering, etc.  Don't surf, watch or even read in bed.  I know people do this, but bed is for sleeping.  Especially given that you are having trouble in that department, it makes sense to focus on it more.  When it is bedtime, head to bed and lights out.

Good advice regarding not doing anything in bed other than sleeping.  The first thing they tell people who have issues sleeping deeply is to cut out any and all non-sleep activity when in bed.  If you read or surf the net, do that in another room of the house until you're ready to go to sleep.

2012-12-12 1:17 PM
in reply to: #4532350

Regular
Ottawa, ON

lisac957 - 2012-12-12 12:31 PM Understanding that your kids will be priority and interrupt your sleep - something I think a lot of folks overlook when sleeping poorly is the quality of their mattress. Just a thought.

I totally agree. I drank the kool-aid few years back and bought a memory foam mattress. (Tempure-Pedic) It was well worth it. Not for eveyone but once I slept in it, it was night and day until kids and me getting more active.

Before that, I never understood why folks spend crazy money on mattress. But again, we triathletes spend also crazy money on bikes.. Laughing

2012-12-12 1:20 PM
in reply to: #4532499

Regular
Ottawa, ON
noelle1230 - 2012-12-12 1:46 PM

Good advice regarding not doing anything in bed other than sleeping.  The first thing they tell people who have issues sleeping deeply is to cut out any and all non-sleep activity when in bed.  If you read or surf the net, do that in another room of the house until you're ready to go to sleep.

This is interesting. I never really thought about it in that sense. Must be that I am so used of doing all those things in bed as I spend most of my student life in a bedroom doing everything on the bed. Will try out that theory and report back.

Thanks  

2012-12-13 7:50 AM
in reply to: #4530972

User image

Extreme Veteran
I have one toddler and know where you're coming from. Can you read your book in a hot bath before bed? It will help hydrate you and for me I sleep like a ton of bricks after a bath. That's my go to when my sleep gets out of whack. I add some Epsom salts as I read the magnesium in them helps and it seems to work for me.Good luck! Lack of sleep is hard to deal with (I say having been up a big part of the night with my little one.)
2012-12-13 8:56 AM
in reply to: #4532499

User image

Extreme Veteran
West Michigan

Good advice regarding not doing anything in bed other than sleeping.  The first thing they tell people who have issues sleeping deeply is to cut out any and all non-sleep activity when in bed.  If you read or surf the net, do that in another room of the house until you're ready to go to sleep.

What about pizza???

2012-12-13 10:35 AM
in reply to: #4533493

User image

Master
Livonia, MI
TriMike - 2012-12-13 9:56 AM

Good advice regarding not doing anything in bed other than sleeping.  The first thing they tell people who have issues sleeping deeply is to cut out any and all non-sleep activity when in bed.  If you read or surf the net, do that in another room of the house until you're ready to go to sleep.

What about pizza???

I was waiting for someone to ask that Tongue out  The two friends of mine who sought treatment for not being able to sleep soundly were both told that even pizza should be "made" in other rooms of the house until they got their sleeping under control.

2012-12-13 4:44 PM
in reply to: #4531141

User image

Expert
Maui, Hawaii
noelle1230 - 2012-12-11 9:46 AM

The main thing that stuck out to me in your post was the first line "I usually sleep 6-7 hours per day but never a good deep sleep".  I don't know if you need MORE sleep; you go to bed at 10 or 11p and get up at 6a.  That should suffice.  You need BETTER sleep.  Even 8-10 hours won't keep you feeling energized if it's not good sleep.

x2 - you need BETTER sleep.  And yes, you probably need more than one rest day (or at least a day or two with only ONE training session/activity).

However, no one mentioned the medical route.  Maybe you need a sleep test to see if you are breathing properly at night or there might be another cardiovascular issue involved.  Also, get a blood test - I was experiencing a great deal of fatigue recently - turned out my red blood cell count was extremely low (undergoing a lot of other tests right now - so far so good).  Get a checkup make sure all is well physically and to rule out any underlying issues.

2012-12-13 7:12 PM
in reply to: #4533681

User image

Expert
noelle1230 - 2012-12-13 11:35 AM
TriMike - 2012-12-13 9:56 AM

What about pizza???

I was waiting for someone to ask that Tongue out  The two friends of mine who sought treatment for not being able to sleep soundly were both told that even pizza should be "made" in other rooms of the house until they got their sleeping under control.

Really.... coz after pizza my mate falls unconscious pretty easily... 

2012-12-13 7:31 PM

I don't know a lot about what most people have said but what I do know is that you should listen to your body. I finally gave in and decided to improve my overall wellness. That is what it's going to take first off. Make the decision to change something so that the results will be different. I did and then found the tools to facilitate change. I have lost body fat, improved muscle tone, have energy and seeing incredible workouts. Check my bio @ advodifference.com or email [email protected]
2012-12-13 8:10 PM
in reply to: #4533372

User image

Bronze member

Moonrocket - 2012-12-13 7:50 AM I have one toddler and know where you're coming from. Can you read your book in a hot bath before bed? It will help hydrate you and for me I sleep like a ton of bricks after a bath. That's my go to when my sleep gets out of whack. I add some Epsom salts as I read the magnesium in them helps and it seems to work for me.Good luck! Lack of sleep is hard to deal with (I say having been up a big part of the night with my little one.)

Interesting, I took a hot bath with Epsom salts the other day, fell asleep in the recliner shortly after and this was the middle of the afternoon!

2012-12-14 5:58 AM

User image

Elite
Agreed on more sleep....10-2 is the best zone for restorative sleep......I am not saying you only need 4 hrs of sleep but during studies it is during those hours that the best benefit from sleep comes..so I would try to be in bed by 10 and maybe to 6- ish if you can

Also get rid of the afternoon soda, loadedwith sugar and you may be getting reactive hypoglycemia afterwards.... Aka the crash
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Coffee alternative? Rss Feed  

of 2