South Wood County YMCA
64F / 18C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 13m 45s
Overall Rank = 19/195
Age Group = Male 20-24
Age Group Rank = 6/13
Pre-race routine:

Got up at 6. Ate a clif bar, peanuts and a banana. Got all my gear together, waited for the rain to stop pouring, dried my bike off and walked over to the transition area. We camped out that night, so it wasnt that far.
Event warmup:

Some stretching and swimming in the water. Maybe 200-300 yards.
Swim
  • 08m 53s
  • 400 yards
  • 02m 13s / 100 yards
Comments:

Best open water swim so far. I felt very comfortable and even drafted off of a few guys. I kept my pace and didnt try to go very hard.
What would you do differently?:

Sight better and round the buoy better. The buoy came up on me a little quick since I wasnt sighting enough at that part.
Transition 1
  • 01m 27s
Comments:

I felt pretty dizzy/off balance in T1. I have had this happen to me on my last tris also. I almost fell over twice putting on my bike shoes. Everything else went good, although I forget to hit the lap button coming out of the water and in/out of T1.

Not almost fall over twice.
Bike
  • 37m 20s
  • 14.5 miles
  • 23.30 mile/hr
Comments:

Awesome ride. I was second in my AG, only to the guy that won the whole event. The first 1-2 miles my quads started to cramp up. I attributed that to not warming up enough before the event and coming out pretty hard on the bike. Coming back in, I started to feel a side-ache coming on. This didnt hold me back on the ride, but I knew it was going to give me troubles on the run. HR also started to climb to upper 150s towards the end.

Nothing. Had a good, hard ride and was able to work through my cramping without it slowing me down.
Transition 2
  • 00m 38s
Comments:

Smokin'! Compared to my other T2 times, I took about a full minute off T2. I went sockless for run on this one and the time shows it! Although, I forgot to yank my laces and start my footpod.

Drink more coming in. I stopped to take in some fluids before leaving T2. Start wearing my sunglasses underneath my helmet straps. That way I can just take off my helmet rather than take off sunglasses, take off helmet, then put sunglasses back on. Tighten my shoes and maybe have the footpod already on before starting the tri.
Run
  • 25m 29s
  • 3.7 miles
  • 06m 53s  min/mile
Comments:

Side aches slowed me way down on this. For the first two miles, I was really dragging. After that, the cramps let up a bit and I was able to sustain a 6:30 or so pace. The run felt good without socks, but after I was done I had a small rub mark below my right outside ankle bone. Nothing bad though. During the run I had to stop twice to turn on my footpod and give my laces a yank to tighten them.

Not eat solid foods before the race so I dont get sideaches. Make sure I have my shoes tightened and footpod turned on.
Post race
Warm down:

Gave a smile and stretched it out a little. Grabbed some water, my Recoverite and a banana or two.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Cramps on the bike and side aches on the run. I really think that eating solid foods (the Clif Bar and peanuts for breakfast and anohter 1/2 Clif Bar 1 hour before the race) caused my side aches. Ive noticed this in my training also when I eat solids 2-3 hours before giving a good session. Also, I need to work on my swimming ability. Looking at my ranks/splits this is where I am weak.

Event comments:

Very nice race. There was a lot of good competition here and I am happy with my results despite my cramping. The race didnt have chips for time, but instead had people writing down numbers, voice recording numbers, etc for all the splits. The race was very well organized and it showed come race day. Looking at my times and ranks in each split just goes to show you were I need to work - the swim. Once I think I get that down, I think Ill be able to compete a lot better.

Last updated: 2006-06-12 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:08:53 | 400 yards | 02m 13s / 100yards
Age Group: 9/13
Overall: 99/195
Performance: Good
Suit: Team Javelin tri shorts and tri top
Course: Out and back following parallel to the shore-line
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 74F / 23C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Good
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 01:27
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
00:37:20 | 14.5 miles | 23.30 mile/hr
Age Group: 2/13
Overall: 13/195
Performance:
Wind: Some
Course: Flat out and back with a small loop for the turn-around. Mapped out with elevation map here: http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/?r=240704 . Had a some headwind going south on the ride. The first road out before the first turn was freshly covered in gravel.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 93
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:38
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:25:29 | 03.7 miles | 06m 53s  min/mile
Age Group: 6/13
Overall: 16/195
Performance: Average
Course: Loop around Wazeecha Lake. Parts were paved and some other parts were dirt/gravel trail.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2006-06-26 10:35 AM

User image

Expert
Subject: South Wood County YMCA Triathlon

2006-06-26 11:26 AM
in reply to: #465772

User image

Milwaukee, WI
Subject: RE: South Wood County YMCA Triathlon

Sounds to me like you are already competing.  Fab job man pushing yourself, you are still in the circle. hehe.  Outstanding on the bike 23+ average?  Sorry your century didn't go so well yesterday.   Now it's time to get ready for that Oly!

Later,

-A

2006-06-27 9:44 PM
in reply to: #465772

User image

Master
Delafield, Wisconsin
Subject: RE: South Wood County YMCA Triathlon
awesome race again. What you got an engine on that bike? holy crap that is fast.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » South Wood County YMCA Triathlon Rss Feed