General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Bike trainer recommendations Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2012-12-12 6:47 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Wauwatosa, WI
Subject: Bike trainer recommendations

Hi all,

It's been a good long while since I've been on the forum, but I'm popping in now to get some recommendations. My husband has asked me to order him a trainer so he can get some variety in his indoor exercise in the winter. He has no triathlon aspirations, and doesn't even cycle much, so he won't be choosy. 

However, I'd like to benefit from it too, as I would someday like to complete a HIM race and also more sprints and Olys. So I don't want to get him something cheap from Walmart either.

He would be putting his mountain bike on there. I would be putting my 15-year-old road bike on there.

What would be a good one for us? Is it easy to swap bikes in and out? 

Thanks!

Annika

2012-12-12 7:54 PM
in reply to: #4533035

User image

Veteran
Hudson Valley
Subject: RE: Bike trainer recommendations
The Lemond trainer was designed to accomodate both mountain and road bikes. Ideally you could swap bikes in and out in a minute as long as both bikes have the same speed drivetrain. Alterantively you could ride the same frame, but use different seat/seatposts with tape to identify how much to insert the seatpost. That would take a a few seconds to swap out.
2012-12-13 4:25 PM

Veteran
Niagara Region
I really like my kinetic kurt rock and roll.
2012-12-13 4:25 PM

Veteran
Niagara Region
I really like my kinetic kurt rock and roll.
2012-12-14 10:07 AM

San Diego, California

Hi! I wanted to add on to the trainer question....

Best bang for buck?  I was looking at trainers on amazon, etc that are under $100- are they complete crap and really loud, or do you think they would do the trick? The weather is starting to get too cold and windy to be going outside for rides, and I need something soon!

Some examples are-

Conquer Indoor Bike Trainer

Bell Mag trainer

Sunlite Forza F2 Mag Trainer, etc

Any thoughts?

Thanks!

2012-12-14 10:13 AM

User image

Pro
, New Hampshire
There's two trainers that ALWAYS get high remarks and recommendations... Kurt Kinetic Road Machine and CycleOps Fluid 2. You really want to invest in a fluid trainer... they are definitely more quite, but the biggest point is how the feel... since the resistance is progressive, you feel very similar to riding on the road. The progressive resistance also allows you to use the gears on your bike to increase/decrease the resistance, just like the road....

It's easy to swap bikes on the trainer, but especially for the MTB, you will need a trainer tire (if you use the knobbly tire, it will be VERY loud and you will get rubber spray through the room behind the trainer...). A trainer specific tire is something that I would always recommend anyways... Also, you need to use the steel skewer that comes with the trainer (or any other steel skewer), an aluminum one will break.

2012-12-14 11:03 AM

User image

Master
Grand Prairie

Honestly if you don't have a trainer and don't know how much you will use them, I recommend getting a cheap used trainer on craigslist to see if you even like riding on a trainer.

Some people HATE riding trainers and rather ride outside in the snow.

The Cycleops FLuid2 is not cheap, neither is the Kurt Kinect, but both are excellent from what I hear.

Personally we have a cycleops MAG and it is kinda loud, also I think swapping bikes on a trainer is annoying. Rollers on the other hand are the easiest thing in the world when it comes to swapping bikes. They are more fun to ride as you need to focus on stroke and core and posture.

So what we did: a cheap trainer and cheap rollers. It turns out I prefer the rollers and my wife prefers the trainer.

At some point I might look into a nicer trainer or nicer rollers, but with Texas weather the outsde riding season almost never ends.

2012-12-15 8:51 AM
in reply to: #4535395

User image

Master
Salisbury, North Carolina
I have an Ascent Fluid trainer ($120 new @ Performance or $80 in returned items on Nashbar). All the resistance he will ever need and if it ever breaks return it for $ or replacement. That's all.
2012-12-28 10:23 AM

User image

Saint Paul, MN
I have a Kurt Kinetic Road machine and love it. But like others have said, they can be a little $$$.  I have heard a lot of good things about the Ascent trainer from Nashbar/Performance. Great trainer for less than $100.
2012-12-28 12:08 PM

User image

Pro
Twin Cities

I have been happily riding a 5-level nashbar mag that I got about 10 years ago for $75. Love it.

Just got a Road Machine for Christmas, so we'll see how it compares :-)

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Bike trainer recommendations Rss Feed