General Discussion Race Reports! » Great Prostate Cancer Challenge 5k, 10k, 1mile fun run Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Great Prostate Cancer Challenge 5k, 10k, 1mile fun run - Run5k

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Tucson, Arizona
United States
ZERO
Sunny
Total Time = 33m 39s
Overall Rank = 70/233
Age Group = 25-29
Age Group Rank = 5/14
Pre-race routine:

I got a bad cough/cold on Friday and I did not sleep well Saturday night because all the coughing. I had a coffee and 1/2 a croissant while I drove to the site.
Event warmup:

I walked around and shuffle jogged a bit. My throat hurt and I was having trouble breathing because all the stuff in my lungs.
Run
  • 33m 39s
  • 3.58 miles
  • 09m 24s  min/mile
Comments:

It was a mass start. The timing chip was in our bib, which is new to me. I have only done triathlons so it was new to me. I asked someone if it was gun time or if our time started when we ran over a mat. I was told gun time. So I made sure I was right in front at the start. I started out a bit slow, mostly because my cold. I was not sure if we could use mp3 players(tris you can't) but I did have my GPS watch on and the MapMyRun app running on my phone in my pocket.

The course was WAY long. Almost a full kilometer. My GPS had it at 3.6 and the MapMyRun app had the course at 3.58. After the race when I was talking to people they felt it was long too. When the times were posted a bunch of people were shocked at their times. So I am sure my 2 devices were right. I don't know how far off the 10k was, but their route was a bit different so it may have been more accurate.

There was one water station at mile 1. With only one water station and the course being so long I wish it would have been around mile 2 instead. I have trouble breathing because of my cold, I felt winded the whole time, but I still kept up a good pace.

I was right at the START when the gun went off and the girl that got 2nd and 3rd I do not remember them passing me. My GPS had my time at 30:21, and later I saw a lady talking to a race director and she was showing them her GPS. They ended up changing her time and she placed in her age group, it seemed like her timer started with the 10k people instead of the 5k. I don't know how that happens, but I thought maybe I should have said something too.

What would you do differently?:

Bring a mini water bottle so I don't have to depend on the water stations.

I need to improve my running. I try doing tempo runs and sprints and nothing seems to help. I have a major mental block when it comes to running. Maybe I need to see a sport psyciatrist!
Post race
Warm down:

Walked around a bit. It was at the zoo and we had free entry so that was fun!

What limited your ability to perform faster:

My cold, and my running mental block.

Event comments:

I thought the after run food was great, lots of bananas and breakfast burritos and strawberry smoothies. There was a band, and it was nice we got to walk around the zoo for free. It was a really nice event.

Last updated: 2012-12-14 12:00 AM
Running
00:33:39 | 03.58 miles | 09m 24s  min/mile
Age Group: 5/14
Overall: 70/233
Performance: Average
Course: Flat
Keeping cool Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? No
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2012-12-14 12:18 PM

Subject: Great Prostate Cancer Challenge 5k, 10k, 1mile fun run

2012-12-14 3:54 PM
in reply to: #4535537

User image

Extreme Veteran
Subject: RE: Great Prostate Cancer Challenge 5k, 10k, 1mile fun run

I hope you're feeling better. It's also rough when you expect to be stopping and the course keeps going! Well, chalk it up to toughness training.

MP3s being allowed is up to the race director. That said, I almost always see people running with them in road races.

As far as race timing, what I normally experience is that overall winners are picked off of gun time, but AG awards are given based on chip time. But, again, race director's discretion...

Is your mental block something that only happens with races or with all your runs? If you really think your brain is holding you back, maybe you should try some treadmill training where you pick a challenging (but realistic) pace and distance and see how you do. The only way to slow down is to decide to push that down button, which I *hate* doing when I go treadmill workouts. If you can complete the workout, maybe that will give you confidence on the road. Remember to add a 1% incline to make up for the lack of air resistance outdoors. Just a thought. I am certainly no sport psychiatrist Smile

2013-05-23 2:41 PM
in reply to: MichelleK

Subject: RE: Great Prostate Cancer Challenge 5k, 10k, 1mile fun run
I just saw your post! I was a sprinter/hurdler in highschool and college. Anything over 400M seems like an eternity, and I can't seem to get pacing down. I always take off way too face and my first mile will be 8:00 mile and then just drop off after that with a 10:00 mile and finishing out with a 10:30, it's pretty bad. I managed to not do that for this 6K though.

Since you posted your response I have gotten a little better, but not a whole lot. My first mile will be 8:30-8:45 and I won't feel too bad, I have gotten to be a much better runner than before, and then my 2nd and 3rd miles will be about 8:45-9:15 and 9:15-9:30. I ran a mile sprint during a workout in March and had my fastest since college at 7:08. I was super excited, but I was exhausted after. Hopefully one day I can run in the low 7's.

Anyway, mental block. I just hate running. With music, without, I can't seem to enjoy it unless I am sprinting. Every step I take I think "why am I doing this to myself, I hate running" I try and think more positive, but somehow it is difficult. Maybe it is because I feel slow? I am used to going fast and having to pace myself forces me to go slower. I dunno! It happens during workout and during events. I find I do better at event though because I am competitive. I find that during training runs I will just walk for 50M or stop and stretch a little because I "feel" tired, when really I think it is the mental block, because when I run at my triathlons or the 5K, I won't stop at all and I feel good, slow, but good, but because I am competing I don't feel tired and I don't have the urge to walk.

It's all confusing and complicated!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Great Prostate Cancer Challenge 5k, 10k, 1mile fun run Rss Feed