General Discussion Triathlon Talk » I'm an idiot I should quit Triathlon now!!! Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2006-10-03 5:19 PM
in reply to: #466004

User image

Clearfield UT
Subject: RE: I'm an idiot I should quit Triathlon now!!!
No worries,

You definitely aren’t the first, and with me next year, you won’t be the last. Your ethics are wonderful and to be able to face up to a mistake, even so small, is a gift. I’ve read all that is above, and still, many months later, you are getting praise for righting a wrong. I hope you are still training hard. If you have done a Tri since, how did you do?

In a way, I’m glad to know I’m not going to be the first to do this. LOL

2006-10-03 7:25 PM

User image

Expert
Tallahassee, FL
I've done the same thing in a 5k. They had marked the course with chalk, and the night before it had rained and the chalk had washed away. When I got to a fork in the road, I looked at the cyclist who had been riding along with me the entire time and asked him which way to go. I assumed he was a race official leading us along. He looks back at me and says, "I'm following you". So I had to just take a guess. I got back on the same course, but before I could tell anyone what had happened, someone else in the race was adamantly calling for my DQ. I told the RD exactly what had happened, and the cyclist had his computer on his bike compute the distance, and it turns out we went 3.2 miles instead of 3.1, so they let me into the results. I was only 15, so maybe they felt bad about DQ'ing me. You should not feel bad, I think you handled the situation admirably. I wish I had been older that day and had a sense of responsibility to ask for my DQ.
2006-10-03 7:55 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Los Angeles
LOL - wow this topic was revived. Thanks for all the comments.

Glenn
2006-10-03 10:43 PM

User image

Champion
Chicago, Illinois
my friend was telling me about an elite runner in russia who if they do not watch is known for cheating. People will follow the person around with cameras and even got pics of him cheating.

Honestly is so important in any endurance sport. I am so glad to see honest people out there.

Remember if you quit we all have to quit.
2006-10-04 12:01 AM

Elite
Denver, Colorado
I say quit - the world needs ditch diggers too, Danny.

Just kidding! I just always wanted to use that line from Caddyshack. Now I can die happy.

What really strikes me is that there were two people at the turn, one of them a cop no less, where someone could potentially have made a wrong turn and neither said a damn thing. I've volunteered for two tris in which my participated and in both cases keeping people on course, as well as some light traffic direction, was the whole point of putting volunteers out on the bike and run courses. They even gave us bullhorns so we could yell at idiots ... I mean "poor lost souls" to get them back on track. (Again, kidding with the idiot remark, but I will say that the park where one tri was held was not closed so other cyclists could ride. Most who ventured on the course graciously pulled off when they realized they were in the middle of a race but there was one idiot, a real live idiot, who just got back on the course when he thought I wasn't watching.) That's just bad volunteering and bad course management, IMO.
2006-10-04 8:03 AM

User image

Champion
Chicago, Illinois
yeah a bike computer or a garmin is very useful thing though. MY first tri was a 3 loop bike course and oly was 5 loops. They did have a chip mate to make sure everyone did each lap they should and lucky for me you really could not cut the course short but its so easy to do.

I almost got lost in a race once lucky for me I stayed on course but since the course turns on itself it would been easy to do.

question though what do you do if you come to the end of the bike and your computer says your 2 miles off? do you redo the bike course? I always had dreams I accidently cut a marathon short but in my dreams I jsut turned around when back and made sure my watch said 26.2 miles before I crossed the line. easy to do on foot but can you do something on a bike?

2015-09-28 11:13 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Extreme Veteran
I commented but I didn't realize this was years old!!

Haha!!

Edited by nancylee 2015-09-28 11:17 AM
2015-09-28 11:36 AM
in reply to: nancylee

User image

Exton, PA
Originally posted by nancylee

I commented but I didn't realize this was years old!!

Haha!!

It's been 9 years, the OP should be getting out of Triathlon jail about now!! We take cutting courses very seriously
2015-09-28 12:01 PM
in reply to: mike761

User image

Expert
Pfafftown, NC
There's probably a ST thread on this that's still on the 1st page.
2015-09-28 5:39 PM

User image

Brooklyn, New York
Originally posted by jmcelroy

The fact that you were so fired up about it and went through the effort to prove it one way or the other shows that you are NOT an idiot.  An idiot would have just been smug and insisted they were right and never looked at the actual data that could prove it.

The fact that you found out the truth and are going through all the steps to get the error corrected shows that you ARE the type of person who should be doing Tris.  You ARE the kind of person other racers want in the sport.  Everyone makes mistakes, the people who work to correct them are a huge asset to this, or any other, sport.

Just my opinion.

X2

SON OF A ^%$^$^& - Old thread, suckered in

Edited by TJHammer 2015-09-28 5:40 PM
2015-09-28 9:18 PM
in reply to: jmcelroy

User image

Pro
Vestavia Hills
Originally posted by jmcelroy

The fact that you were so fired up about it and went through the effort to prove it one way or the other shows that you are NOT an idiot.  An idiot would have just been smug and insisted they were right and never looked at the actual data that could prove it.

The fact that you found out the truth and are going through all the steps to get the error corrected shows that you ARE the type of person who should be doing Tris.  You ARE the kind of person other racers want in the sport.  Everyone makes mistakes, the people who work to correct them are a huge asset to this, or any other, sport.

Just my opinion.

Exactly ...the mere fact that you too k the time to figure it out and feel bad enough to confess to folk like us means that either you have been drinking and/or an honest athlete.

Either way we need more like you.

Don't feel badly. Call the RD and you will be surprised how understanding they will be ...and you will laugh about this later.

2015-09-28 9:24 PM

User image

Originally posted by brian

Call the RD and you will be surprised how understanding they will be ...and you will laugh about this later.

I'm pretty sure the RD won't understand.  But you can still laugh about it now rather than later.

Edited by Jason N 2015-09-28 9:25 PM
2015-09-28 9:41 PM

, Ontario
Don't quit. I had two very nice people running much faster than me last year give me encouraging comments the first time they passed me and then saw them swearing the third time they saw me. They were clearly very fast and very experienced at tris but they ran most of the run course three times. Partly them, partly the course. It certainly wasn't intentional given the words coming out of them. Course mistakes happen. They suck. Cross fingers and plan as much as you can so you don't have it happen again. Try to move on and focus on the positives - tris are great, you know what you want to work on for next time and look forward to your next race.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » I'm an idiot I should quit Triathlon now!!! Rss Feed  

of 2