General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Training partner yes/no? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2012-12-19 7:58 AM

Woodlands/Conroe
Subject: Training partner yes/no?
My question to the general group is this. Do you train solo or with a partner/group? I have been training the last year by myself and was wondering if I am selling myself short by not participating in group rides/runs. Do you think you get more out of having someone motivate or challenge you? Thanks.

2012-12-19 8:05 AM
in reply to: #4540830

User image

Pro
CyFair
Subject: RE: Training partner yes/no?
I do a little bit of both.  I like group rides/runs if I have wiggle room in my metrics.  If I have specific numbers I need to hit I find it hard to get it done in a group setting.
2012-12-19 8:21 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cypress, TX

I do nearly 100% of my training solo.

My main issues with group training as a whole are that 1) rarely do my schedule and everyone else's schedules sync and 2) group training rides usually become a lowest common denominator type ride... which is great if you're one of the weaker links but it sucks if you're not.

Different strokes for different folks though.  I have always found group rides to be the worst workouts I have ever done.  I want to get on my bike and hammer.  I'm not there to ride 17 mph, I'm not there to stop 5x, I'm not there to socialize.  I'm there to work.  That's just how I'm wired.

2012-12-19 9:14 AM

User image

Pro
Houston

I have a great running partner that helps me get out of bed - accountability is big for me personally.  I'm not nearly as amazing as Bob or Scott.  I've never swam with a group but can see how it would help.  So maybe half my runs, 1/3 of my biking and none of my swimming are done with others.  Joining a group can be helpful though especially on long bike rides.  Not only is it nice to have company but having an extra hand to help change a tire is nice as well not to mention I feel safer riding in a group than on my own.  Not sure where you are but you could try reaching out to a tri club in your area and see if you click with other folks who live in your area.  Might be a nice change of pace and you could make new friends.

2012-12-19 10:45 AM

Regular

Keep in mind a lot of groups are not  willing to accept people on tri-bikes (for good reason).  

My opinion either way though...Race solo, then train solo.

2012-12-19 10:54 AM
in reply to: #4541121

User image

Pro
CyFair
rnp70 - 2012-12-19 10:45 AM

Keep in mind a lot of groups are not  willing to accept people on tri-bikes (for good reason).  

Tri groups will.  There is one for just about every area of Houston/suburban Houston.  OP says Woodland (I'm assuming The Woodlands) and OutRival is based out there.

2012-12-19 11:03 AM
in reply to: #4541121

User image

Pro
Houston
rnp70 - 2012-12-19 10:45 AM

Really?  Name a group, I want to know who to avoid.  Bike Barn rides allow tri bikes, Northwest Cycles allows tri bikes, all the organized bike rides I know of - Frost Bike, Katy Flatlands, Peddle for the Ducks, MS 150 etc.  I've ridden my tri bike in all but the MS.

Sure, you will find cyclists who don't want to ride next to tri bikes but I've never heard of one unwilling to accept people on tri bikes.

But like Scott said there are tri clubs all over Houston and while Out Rival seems to be closest to you there is also HRTC and Bay Area Multisport as well as the previously mentioned Cy-Tri.

2012-12-19 12:17 PM

User image

Master
Houston

I train with groups, or my wife, when I can.  But largely it is solo.

For the longer run/rides I try to hook up with the group to help push the pace and for safety / support.  But reality is that I work too much and my available training hours aren't always what works for groups.  Being reliable at work makes me somewhat unreliable as a training partner.

The other problem is finding a partner who has a similar pace to you.  I'm pretty darn slow for my AG, but generally faster than my wife.  For running it actually helps me a lot to run with her as she has much better pacing than I do. 

For swimming I try to swim with a class, but I have paid for a lot more sessions than I actually use due to life getting in the way.

2012-12-19 5:42 PM

User image

Austin

My wife and I train together, she is just a little bit faster than me and that works out ok.
We also have a few "tri" friends we will train with about once a month just to have more people for long runs or long bikes. A few times we have invited people to go out to a lake with us and swim.

If you can find someone that is your pace and can train with you, I suggest you do it.

2012-12-20 8:24 AM

Woodlands/Conroe
Thank you all for the great input. I'm currently a member of the woodland tri club "lonestar multisport tri club". The don't do any organized ride/runs. Out Rival has a great reputation in the area but it is more of a coached team. From what most of what you all have said I feel better at just keep my training solo.
2012-12-20 8:46 AM

User image

Expert

I do a little of both.  My swim workouts are for the most part, solo.  I have done a few master's classes, and do like the workouts.  But, if I can, I avoid crowded lanes in the pool.  That way I can concentrate on swimming, not on avoiding the person coming towards me.

For running, I run with a run club.  Works great for longer runs, with water stops, and nutrition support.

For biking, I do a combination of both.  Sometimes group social rides, and sometimes alone, or with one or two others.

So far, it's working for me.

2012-12-25 4:17 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Fort Worth, TX
I like both. I train with my local tri club on some days and by myself some days. It works out to about 35/65 with the group and solo.

Our group has a fantastic blend of people who swim/bike/run at all paces. Wherever you are, there is someone who will push you or train at your speed. It's great, because we get the social part of group training that makes it really fun and you develop some great friendships with people who "get" you. From the 9:16 IM guys to our people who just train to continue to lose weight and get faster over time, we've got a nice blend. One of my favorite parts is going out with the newbies, or the slower people, for their long runs and rides ever so often and just talking with them as we run/ride. Sometimes, slowing down like that makes it go by in a flash, as well as reminds you why you do it in the first place. Then the next week someone will hammer you into the ground and bring out that fire

The solo days are nice because they keep me focused on the little things and test my motivation.
2012-12-26 8:16 AM

Woodlands/Conroe
No one menchened any coached groups. Does any one train with a group that has a paid coach. There is a team local that has a set price and you can get a program set up for you and then jump into any of the group work outs. Anyone have any success with this or is it even worth it if you have to pay?
2012-12-26 9:15 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Fort Worth, TX
We use coaches in our group. We have a few different coaches we use (some like one coach, others like another). A lot of us use a swim coach here that has a swimming background before moving into triathlon. He still trains pure swimmers, as well as triathletes. We like his methodology, as well as his expertise.

I like a coach for certain things: a long course race where I have a lot of training in front of me and I want to have someone helping me maximize training/minimize injuries; focusing on a specific discipline and working to improve on mechanics; examining my training cycle, nutrition and VO2 numbers.

Coaches are like anything, though, there are good coaches and then there are coaches who talk a good game, but will really just take your money and not give you much individualized attention. ASK around for feedback on local coaches. Don't just talk to local triathletes, as we can tend to be "cliquish" about "our" coach - in other words, we might not always be objective. Ask the LBS, running stores and clubs who they know of as coaches in the area and ask them what strengths/weaknesses these coaches have. If you talk to a coach, ask for a list of his/her athletes' accomplishments over the past 2 years. This way you can find out if they've truly been training people for long and you can see how effective the training was for these clients. Ask the coach for a few weeks of training at no cost to see if you are a match for one another. A good coach should think this is a fair request.

Look out for people who hang a shingle as a coach, but have no background in the sport, or any of the disciplines. You'll see this. Someone has done a race, or two, and now is a coach. YIKES. Another option to investigate if you just want a coach for a single race would be to look into Team In Training programs.

Hope this helps.
2012-12-26 10:45 AM
in reply to: #4540863

User image

Veteran
Dallas
GMAN 19030 - 2012-12-19 8:21 AM

I do nearly 100% of my training solo.

My main issues with group training as a whole are that 1) rarely do my schedule and everyone else's schedules sync and 2) group training rides usually become a lowest common denominator type ride... which is great if you're one of the weaker links but it sucks if you're not.

Different strokes for different folks though.  I have always found group rides to be the worst workouts I have ever done.  I want to get on my bike and hammer.  I'm not there to ride 17 mph, I'm not there to stop 5x, I'm not there to socialize.  I'm there to work.  That's just how I'm wired.

^ This.  The only exception is I do swim with a masters group.  All my runs and rides are solo.  Group rides for me are only for recovery. 

2012-12-31 11:25 AM

User image

Veteran
Grapevine, TX

I race alone.  I train alone.  

Although it would be nice to have someone other than my dog on an OWS.  

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Training partner yes/no? Rss Feed