General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » Introdution to the users of BT Rss Feed  
Moderators: IndoIronYanti, k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2012-12-19 7:57 PM

New user

Covington , Kentucky
Subject: Introdution to the users of BT

Hello, my name is Derek.  I started training two and a half weeks ago.  Doing a triathlon has always been a goal of mine.  I woke up about 3 weeks ago with a stiff neck and did some stretches.  I kept stretching everyday and decided that I might as well exercise and go for a tri.  I found this website and started on our journey. 

I started by walking 1 mile for three days per week and doing some pushups and a few other exercises.  Two days ago, I bought a new pair of shoes ( with new insoles) and did a great walk/run , tonight. 

I am 40 years old and my first goal is to run in the Flying Pig 5K.  After I plan on participating in a sprint triathlon in Cincinnati.

I have a 9 year old daughter, who ran on her school's cross country team.  So, I guess she has inspired me.  

I hope to see you all out on the course,  God Bless

2012-12-19 10:24 PM
in reply to: #4542122

User image

Extreme Veteran
Penticton, BC
Subject: RE: Introdution to the users of BT

Love the name of your planned 1st 5K.  Just that alone would make it worth doing.  40 isn't old here - in fact it is a great age to start.  I wish I had started when I was that young.

I'm a beginner runner, swimmer and cyclist but I finished two Sprints this year and it is a lot of fun - especially interacting with the other athletes.

BT is a great site and amazingly supportive.  Read lots and read some race reports to get inspiration.  Don't be afraid to ask questions either and if you can volunteer at some local Triathlons to learn more and meet empathetic people.  Since I've started training I've met so many people and learned so much.

In a 5K run last Sept. I was on the last half leg when a young 9-ish yr old girl started running with me because she got separated from her parents.  She ran with me until we found her dad.  as a grampa it was quite neat to me.  So, don't be afraid to include your daughter if she is at all interested.  Especially if they award medals at the end of a 5K - seeing her get hers would be pretty precious.

Have fun!

2012-12-19 10:32 PM

User image

Expert
dmm312 - 2012-12-19 7:57 PM

Hello, my name is Derek.  I started training two and a half weeks ago.  Doing a triathlon has always been a goal of mine.  I woke up about 3 weeks ago with a stiff neck and did some stretches.  I kept stretching everyday and decided that I might as well exercise and go for a tri.  I found this website and started on our journey. 

I started by walking 1 mile for three days per week and doing some pushups and a few other exercises.  Two days ago, I bought a new pair of shoes ( with new insoles) and did a great walk/run , tonight. 

I am 40 years old and my first goal is to run in the Flying Pig 5K.  After I plan on participating in a sprint triathlon in Cincinnati.

I have a 9 year old daughter, who ran on her school's cross country team.  So, I guess she has inspired me.  

I hope to see you all out on the course,  God Bless

Welcome Derek - Congrats on your accomplishment of sticking to your new exercise plan for 2 and a half weeks.  I promise - it will all get easier from here.  Good luck on your 5K - I love the idea the previous poster had of doing it with your daughter.  She would make a great training partner.  

As for the Sprint - its more challenging than the 5K but if you can suffer through the last 40 years as a Bengals fain - you can handle anything.

Good luck!

2012-12-20 7:33 PM
in reply to: #4542240

New user

Covington , Kentucky
Thank you for the warm welcome.  I will ask my daughter to keep running with me.  Now about the Bengals comment, all I can say is that is plenty of fodder for the local radio shows.  At least we have the Reds.   Well wishes and thank you.  Derek
2012-12-20 7:54 PM

User image

Expert
C-bus
Welcome, welcome, welcome.  Be sure to check out the Ohio forum page.  There are some pretty active people in the 'Nati and Dayton and also Columbus.  Look forward to seeing you at some races!
2012-12-21 5:57 AM
in reply to: #4543608

New user

Covington , Kentucky
Thank you

New Thread
General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » Introdution to the users of BT Rss Feed