BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Asphalt Junkies Spring 2013 - Closed Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 119

2013-05-15 8:27 AM
in reply to: #4743126

User image

Bronze member
Subject: RE: Asphalt Junkies Spring 2013 - Closed
strikyr - 2013-05-15 7:50 AM

Jo63 - 2013-05-15 7:10 AM Finally caught up! Tony & dirk thanks for the recommendations for nutrition I will give both a try. Will, I did use PBJ 's and bananas last year, I need something solid, I just went to a nutriontal talk on Sat she also recommended pretzels as it also has the salt factor. As for motivation I have to have something scheduled for after Syracuse, we are doing a Saprtan run in Septmeber so I will check out Tri-Indy and talk to my husband and see if we can swing it! Dina, was the water temp cold??? Brenda how did your daughter do? Dirk as far as what IM, you should definetly do IMWI. There is so much support from the spectators, you will love it! I too am volunteering just have to sign up for something all the funner stuff was gone by the time I decided to do this and..... If you volunteer you can go and cheer Tony on and stand in line To sign up on Sept 9 with Brenda and I and help me celebrate my 50th birthday

JoAnne no matter what happens after the IMWI this year if for some reason I lose my mind and get caught up in the euphoria of it all make sure you and Brenda do not allow me to line up and sign up again next year! I've already told my  wife to take away my credit cards and not to allow me sign up for ANY full distance IM race next year!

When my husband was into running marathons he would finish one and every time say I'm never doing that again! 4 times, don't let me do that again. He kept signing up and saying that until finally we moved and he didn't have the support of a running group anymore. I told him those runners were a bad influence .

2013-05-15 8:48 AM
in reply to: #4743199

User image

Expert
Mastic Beach, NY
trigal38 - 2013-05-15 9:27 AM

Jo63 - 2013-05-15 7:10 AM Finally caught up! Tony & dirk thanks for the recommendations for nutrition I will give both a try. Will, I did use PBJ 's and bananas last year, I need something solid, I just went to a nutriontal talk on Sat she also recommended pretzels as it also has the salt factor. As for motivation I have to have something scheduled for after Syracuse, we are doing a Saprtan run in Septmeber so I will check out Tri-Indy and talk to my husband and see if we can swing it! Dina, was the water temp cold??? Brenda how did your daughter do? Dirk as far as what IM, you should definetly do IMWI. There is so much support from the spectators, you will love it! I too am volunteering just have to sign up for something all the funner stuff was gone by the time I decided to do this and..... If you volunteer you can go and cheer Tony on and stand in line To sign up on Sept 9 with Brenda and I and help me celebrate my 50th birthday

JoAnne no matter what happens after the IMWI this year if for some reason I lose my mind and get caught up in the euphoria of it all make sure you and Brenda do not allow me to line up and sign up again next year! I've already told my  wife to take away my credit cards and not to allow me sign up for ANY full distance IM race next year!

When my husband was into running marathons he would finish one and every time say I'm never doing that again! 4 times, don't let me do that again. He kept signing up and saying that until finally we moved and he didn't have the support of a running group anymore. I told him those runners were a bad influence .

LOL Dina that is exactly what I'm afraid of happening. After my finishing my first marathon I thought I'll never ever do this again and a week later I signed up for the next one. I know if I get caught up in the experience I'll be in line Monday morning signing up for 2014 although my wife already told me she has no plans to go back to Madison next year! LOL

2013-05-15 10:22 AM
in reply to: #4742656

User image

Master
Columbia, TN

Dirk, for what it's worth, I know many people who have done Wisconsin and Louisville.  I have never heard anyone rave about Louisville and everyone who has done Wisconsin raves about it.

My impression is that Wisconsin is the one to choose.

2013-05-15 11:00 AM
in reply to: #4743113

User image

Master
Fort Wayne
strikyr - 2013-05-15 8:44 AM

The other thing about it is that the thought of IM is always looming. I have not let it consume me but I have to admit I am always thinking about it. As much as I believe I can do it I'm always thinking "can I do it?", "will I be ready?" and "am I doing enough?". I guess it is typical of what first timers go through. I would probably like to do another IM in the future but I will definitely not be doing one next year. One of the guys I train with said it best, he said IM takes alot out you and I would have to say I agree and I haven't even done it yet!

This is one of my concerns as well.  When I show up on IM race day I want to be able to "show up" not muddle through the race in a daze of confusion and agony because I am undertrained.  I know these aspects will show up in full force at varying points but I want to be physically prepared to actually perform and not just finish.  I guess I'm just too competitive with myself to be a finisher.

The "can I do it" question is something that has reverberated through my mind through all of my preparation for any race distance I've done so far and I've not seemed to have significant issues..........But Ironman is an entirely different journey.

2013-05-15 11:01 AM
in reply to: #4743473

User image

Master
Fort Wayne
JeffY - 2013-05-15 11:22 AM

Dirk, for what it's worth, I know many people who have done Wisconsin and Louisville.  I have never heard anyone rave about Louisville and everyone who has done Wisconsin raves about it.

My impression is that Wisconsin is the one to choose.

This is the conclusion I am coming too.  Logically, this would appear to make a lot of sense.  IMWI sells out every year while IMLOU seems to remain opened all they way up to the week before the race.

The athletes I know that have completed both races seem to agree with the assessment that all of you have come up with. It is very likely that I will try to register for IMWI when it open up and hope I can get in. I cannot make it to volunteer for the race unless I change my race schedule around. Currently I am scheduled to race Rev3 Cedar Point again this season but I have yet to register. If I can find another 70.3 race in a similar time frame I would consider doing that and making the trip to Madison to ensure a spot at IMWI.

I'll probably begin to look at other events when I get home this evening............After training of course! I have a 2-a-day work out plan for tonight. A short 4 mile run and then an hour-ish swim.

Edited by DirkP 2013-05-15 11:22 AM
2013-05-15 11:46 AM
in reply to: #4542598

User image

Expert
Mastic Beach, NY
Dirk if you do IMWI you shouldn't have any problem by signing up online when registration opens. It's not like Arizona or Florida where you literally need to be down there to get in. I think IMWI general entry sold out within 9 hours last year which was the fastest ever due to IM and IMWI gaining more popularity. I think the bike course still scares off people from doing IMWI. I signed up as soon as it opened and didn't have a problem.

2013-05-15 1:49 PM

User image

Bronze member
Sometimes I don't think things through so well. For my run today I thought it would be fun to take my daughter and the pup to the trail with me. Sounds simple right? That just turned into the hardest run of the year so far! Yikes, I was huffing and puffing and felt like a sled dog. We didn't get out of the house until 11:30 and it was already 85 degrees here. I am not acclimated to those temps and the sweat was just rolling off of me. Now add to that, I forgot to put air in the tires of the jogging stroller and on top of that my daughter wanted shade of course so she put the top up to catch every bit of wind there was HA! That stroller was so hard to push. Then she kept talking and asking questions the whole time and this is me - "Can't talk, can't breath". Ha ha ha, nice trip to the woods with mom.....
2013-05-15 8:28 PM
in reply to: #4744009

User image

Master
Fort Wayne

It would appear that you were attempting to include the whole family on your run today.............but it didn't work out so well huh?  On a scale of 1-10 I'll give you a 10 for intentions but I have to give you a 1 for naivete.

Just think of the work out you got though!  You got a run done and resistance training completed in one fell swoop.  Congrats!

2013-05-16 5:35 AM
in reply to: #4743126

User image

Extreme Veteran
Racine, Wisconsin

I can try to stop you .... By the way have you seen the new back packs for IM?
2013-05-16 5:39 AM
in reply to: #4740774

User image

Extreme Veteran
Racine, Wisconsin
DirkP - 2013-05-13 7:14 PM
p>Joanne, if you could swing it you know it would be great to have you there too.  Bing maps says it's just over 4 hours from your town to downtown Indy

My husband said go for it.....although Iam a little nervous to do this with all of you podium finishers!!!
2013-05-16 5:39 AM
in reply to: #4744572

User image

Extreme Veteran
Racine, Wisconsin
DirkP - 2013-05-15 8:28 PM

It would appear that you were attempting to include the whole family on your run today.............but it didn't work out so well huh?  On a scale of 1-10 I'll give you a 10 for intentions but I have to give you a 1 for naivete.

Just think of the work out you got though!  You got a run done and resistance training completed in one fell swoop.  Congrats!

X2

2013-05-16 5:50 AM
in reply to: #4743579

User image

Extreme Veteran
Racine, Wisconsin
DirkP - 2013-05-15 11:00 AM

strikyr - 2013-05-15 8:44 AM

The other thing about it is that the thought of IM is always looming. I have not let it consume me but I have to admit I am always thinking about it. As much as I believe I can do it I'm always thinking "can I do it?", "will I be ready?" and "am I doing enough?". I guess it is typical of what first timers go through. I would probably like to do another IM in the future but I will definitely not be doing one next year. One of the guys I train with said it best, he said IM takes alot out you and I would have to say I agree and I haven't even done it yet!

This is one of my concerns as well.  When I show up on IM race day I want to be able to "show up" not muddle through the race in a daze of confusion and agony because I am undertrained.  I know these aspects will show up in full force at varying points but I want to be physically prepared to actually perform and not just finish.  I guess I'm just too competitive with myself to be a finisher.

The "can I do it" question is something that has reverberated through my mind through all of my preparation for any race distance I've done so far and I've not seemed to have significant issues..........But Ironman is an entirely different journey.

Tony......from the sounds of your training you will be prepared!
Dirk..... By no means am i an expert but knowing where I was when I attempted it and knowing where you are I firmly believe you would kill it!
2013-05-16 5:56 AM
in reply to: #4743023

User image

Bronze member

Jo63 - 2013-05-15 6:10 AM Finally caught up! Tony & dirk thanks for the recommendations for nutrition I will give both a try. Will, I did use PBJ 's and bananas last year, I need something solid, I just went to a nutriontal talk on Sat she also recommended pretzels as it also has the salt factor. As for motivation I have to have something scheduled for after Syracuse, we are doing a Saprtan run in Septmeber so I will check out Tri-Indy and talk to my husband and see if we can swing it! Dina, was the water temp cold??? Brenda how did your daughter do? Dirk as far as what IM, you should definetly do IMWI. There is so much support from the spectators, you will love it! I too am volunteering just have to sign up for something all the funner stuff was gone by the time I decided to do this and..... If you volunteer you can go and cheer Tony on and stand in line To sign up on Sept 9 with Brenda and I and help me celebrate my 50th birthday

It was probably 70, with the wetsuit it was very comfortable. In fact, I hate the wetsuit so much I was thinking I didn't really need it. I heard the local lake is still only 64 though.

2013-05-16 7:15 AM
in reply to: #4744778

User image

Master
Fort Wayne

Jo63 - 2013-05-16 6:39 AM
DirkP - 2013-05-13 7:14 PM p>Joanne, if you could swing it you know it would be great to have you there too.  Bing maps says it's just over 4 hours from your town to downtown Indy

My husband said go for it.....although Iam a little nervous to do this with all of you podium finishers!!!

You and Brenda can race together.  There cam be a couple of junkies racing in "AG playoffs" for Junkie titles.  I can't remember how young you and Brenda are but it might work out that you two can start together like Jeff and I.  Just make sure if you shoose to race Tri-Indy that you and Brenda pick the same swim speed as requested for proper seeding.

I for one would love to see you there!  There are going to be several of us attending.  It seems the count is getting pretty high for those who are attending and those giving consideration.

2013-05-16 7:40 AM

User image

Master
Fort Wayne

We are live in the new session!!!

Ready................

Set................

Go!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

2013-05-16 3:41 PM
in reply to: #4744789

User image

Master
Fort Wayne
trigal38 - 2013-05-16 6:56 AM

Jo63 - 2013-05-15 6:10 AM Finally caught up! Tony & dirk thanks for the recommendations for nutrition I will give both a try. Will, I did use PBJ 's and bananas last year, I need something solid, I just went to a nutriontal talk on Sat she also recommended pretzels as it also has the salt factor. As for motivation I have to have something scheduled for after Syracuse, we are doing a Saprtan run in Septmeber so I will check out Tri-Indy and talk to my husband and see if we can swing it! Dina, was the water temp cold??? Brenda how did your daughter do? Dirk as far as what IM, you should definetly do IMWI. There is so much support from the spectators, you will love it! I too am volunteering just have to sign up for something all the funner stuff was gone by the time I decided to do this and..... If you volunteer you can go and cheer Tony on and stand in line To sign up on Sept 9 with Brenda and I and help me celebrate my 50th birthday

It was probably 70, with the wetsuit it was very comfortable. In fact, I hate the wetsuit so much I was thinking I didn't really need it. I heard the local lake is still only 64 though.

I am hoping the water temp will be 70 degrees for this weekend's Oly.  I have yet to do an OWS but I feel pretty confident I won't get one in prior to Saturday.

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Asphalt Junkies Spring 2013 - Closed Rss Feed  

of 119