BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Asphalt Junkies Spring 2013 - Closed Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 119

2012-12-20 9:28 AM

User image

Master
Fort Wayne
Subject: Asphalt Junkies Spring 2013 - Closed

WHEN CAN YOU START: Immediately 

USERNAME:
DirkP  Name: Dirk

STORY: I became a runner about 8-9 years ago when I got my numbers for a cholesterol screening and I knew my weight was too high.  I wasn't particularly big but I was overweight and my eating habits were horrendous.  I decided to make a change at the suggestion of someone at work and he talked me into doing a 5k race and being a ultra competitive person it was over, so to speak.  I got hooked on running after that race and began to get requests from others to give a half marathon a try.  After completing this race it was all but over.  All I could think about was running and racing.  I decided I was going to do a full marathon in 2009 but unwise training habits kept me from running.  A second knee surgery and the physical therapy that followed drew me to triathlon.  The cross training effects of swimming and cycling again dragged me into another incredible sport.

FAMILY STATUS: I am happily married to a wonderful and understanding wife of 25 years.  She has recently taken up a couch to 10k program and is planning her first 10k and her third race ever for the spring.  We have 2 gorgeous daughters (17 and 19), who MOST DEFINITELY take after their mother.

JOB: I am a Line Crew Supervisor with a very large power company so my hours can get kind of ridiculous during the storm seasons.  I also can get some ridiculous call outs from any variety of reasons.  I have responded to hurricanes in Florida and Louisiana and ice storms in Oklahoma

CURRENT TRAINING: I am a very aggressive person when it comes to my training.  I train in the neighborhood of 8-14 hours a week throughout the year and take little time off in the winter.  I try to take advantage of the off season to pick up as many fitness gains as possible.

THIS YEAR'S RACES:  I don't have a lot scheduled for the upcoming season just yet.  the one major race that is on my agenda is the Boston Marathon.  After qualifying in November of 2011 I was selected in late September to run in 2013.  This is a bit of a dream race for me and I can get pretty excited about it just thinking about running such a historical event.

LAST SEASONS RACES:  I completed 7 triathlons in 2012: 3 sprints and 2 Olympics and 2 half iron distance events.  I placed either in my age group or overall in 5 of the 7 triathlons and narrowly missed the podium in the other 2 races.  I also ran 3 running races and placed in the overall or AG in each of them.

MY BIGGEST SUCCESSES:  In the world of athletics my biggest success has been my marathon experience.  In 2011 I attempted to train a qualify for the Boston Marathon.  I outlined a race to make the time cut for my age group and missed it by 20 seconds.  But what makes this experience so notable to me is that I was able to turn around and run another full marathon 3 weeks later and make the qualifying cut.

Then last season I raced two 70.3 races 2 weeks apart and cut 18 minutes from the first time I had set the previous race.  When I came through the chute and checked the time on my watch I was incredibly surprised.  It was what I expect to be a race that I may not be able to repeat any time soon.  My time: 4:51:50  My placement: 25/713 overall and 6/93 in my age group.

WEIGHTLOSS: After picking up a few pounds after the end of the racing season I'll need to fight my way back down to race weight by April

WHAT WILL MAKE ME A GOOD MENTOR: I have been involved in competitive athletics for several years and I have learned the hard way that training needs to be done smart.  I have sustained injuries that have caused surgical repairs and I have been able to bounce back and get back on track.

I have a very strong personal work ethic and I use it both at home, at work and in the sport of triathlon.  My wife calls me an "asphalt junkie" and I try to live up to the standard that she has placed before me.  However, balancing life and, most importantly, family sometimes can be a struggle and this is where I hope to be able to provide the most benefit.  I believe everyone can balance family with training, but it must be done smart and goals need to be established and modified according to those standards.

This group will be supported by 3 other Mentors to round out an experienced group of athletes that can provide all the encouragement and training advice any new person may need.  We have been together as either mentors or mentee's for nearly 2 years.  We have been together as mentors for the entire 2012 season.  I believe the diversity that we can provide through advice and support will help any athlete, brand new or experienced. 

The Mentors:  Jeff (JeffY), Jonathon (jgerbodegrant), Warren (wbayek) and myself.

We will be accepting a total of 15 athletes to mentor during this session.

Edited by DirkP 2012-12-23 7:31 AM

2012-12-20 10:15 AM
in reply to: #4542598

User image

Master
Columbia, TN
Subject: RE: Asphalt Junkies Spring 2013 - Opened

USERNAME: JeffY Name: Jeff Yeager

STORY: I am 46 years old.  I joined the track/CC teams in high school and lived for distance running.  Also ran my first year in college until a big injury forced me to stop...at which point I took up bike racing for a few years.

After college, I relocated, began my career, got married and pursued weight lifting and martial arts for the next decade and a half. Began dabbling in triathlon again 6 or so years ago, but only for fun.  Began training seriously about 4 years ago.

FAMILY STATUS: Divorced a few years ago.  4 children 21, 19, 18, 12.

Job: Systems Engineer/supervisor.  Currently working as the Application Architect for our Oracle ESuite installation

CURRENT TRAINING: The plan is roughly 2.5 hrs per day of tri training and strength training an hour per day.  But that weight training is a challenge working around my shoulder rehab (recent rebuild) and is a blend of 'strength' and 'rehab'.  Weekends ideally have a long run and long bike.  35+mpw running, 6-10 hrs bike, 6-7K swim.

2013 RACES: A little early for a race calendar to be complete.  But I race a lot.  More than most, so obviously not focused on long-course.

WEIGHTLOSS: Over the years I've been very successful at achieving the weight I desire.  Either up or down.  During the years focused on weight training, I learned a lot about proper dieting.

WHAT WILL MAKE ME A GOOD MENTOR: I think that I have a particularly good ability to rehab from, and train around or through injuries.  That's one of the biggest challenges for many athletes.  I also have developed a rapport with Dirk, Jonathan and Warren such that we make a good 'panel of judges' for issues that may allow for a difference of opinion.

2012-12-20 10:29 AM

User image

NH

WHEN CAN YOU START: Immediately.

USERNAME: wbayek  NAME: Warren

STORY:
I am currently 50 years old.  Team sport guy through college, mainly hockey but played football as well.  Played competitive racquetball in SD for a number of years, but after 30 did the few pounds a year thing until mid-40s.  At a yearly physical, my doc pointed out that every year I was adding a few more pounds and few more points of all the bad markers, so after 15 years of that the numbers were actually quite alarming.  I immediately went into my typical addict mode and lost 40 pounds and greatly improved all my numbers.  While rehabbing tennis elbow from hockey, the PT kept talking about the Ironman races she and her husband did, and I signed up for a sprint on a whim - despite not being able to swim and never having run in my life other than as part of a sport.  Four years later, I'm fully addicted to S/B/R, and I'm a member of a loosely organized team run by the aforementioned PT.  I’ve migrated to the front of the pack on the bike, while my running and swimming are still under construction.

FAMILY STATUS:
Married 18 years, 3 sons - 16, 14, 10.  My wife has been a runner her entire life and we love running together on weekends.  The oldest son is my sherpa and comes to all my races.  Me and my two oldest completed a sprint triathlon this past year as a relay team, which may have been the highlight of the tri career.  My youngest has Down syndrome, which adds a lot of color to our family.

JOB:  I'm a software guy who has managed to Peter Principle my way to directorship level.

CURRENT TRAINING: 
I spent the winter focused on running and have made huge advances in my running.  Since my A race this year is a 70.3, and I'm also the bike leg of a 70.3 relay team in another race, I will be moving to a bike focus after I PR my spring half marathon.

LAST YEAR'S RACES:
 Last year I had two A races – a half iron and the relay leg of a half iron team.  My team won the Timberman Half Ironman race, and I completed the Rev3 70.3 with a 20 minute PR.  I also placed 4th in my AG in my only sprint, and had the greatest satisfaction in winning another sprint tri relay with my 2 oldest sons performing the swim and run legs!  I PR’s a half marathon in the early spring and a 5k in the late spring.  As a 50 something, it was thrilling to continue to build speed even as I am in the “older” category.

2012 RACES:  My relay team will be defending our title, and I am also planning another half iron, and possibly a half aqua bike.  I haven’t yet decided on my running race schedule.

WEIGHTLOSS:  I'd like to lose my 10-15 pound winter coat and get back to 170 for the season.

WHAT WILL MAKE ME A GOOD MENTEE:   I absolutely love triathlon and the triathlon lifestyle.  Despite a less than ideal endurance athlete background and body type, with focused training, I've improved in every discipline each year, and as a busy and older triathlete with 3 sons I have learned to best ways to maximize time spent vs. gains to be made.  While triathlon is a fun and consuming past time, I think it is very important to balance this addiction against the truly important things in your life, and I really enjoy helping everyone find that balance and learn how to make sure this sport fits into your overall lifestyle.  Along with the other mentors, we each offer a different perspective on many of the issues facing triathletes.

2012-12-20 11:10 AM

User image

Pro
Seacoast, NH!

USERNAME: jgerbodegrant Name: Jonathan Gerbode-Grant

STORY:  I'm currently 31 years old and fairly new to trathlon.  I'm going into my 5th season now I guess.  Let's be honest...I'm not the fastest, best athlete out there.  Before triathlon, I have never been involved in competitive endurance sports in my life!  I did some rowing in college and after watching the Ironman World Championships, I figured this was a sport I should really get into.  Several years later, I am still hooked.  And I've got it bad.  I am still a slower runner compared to others in my age group, so that little deficiency has me coming back for more.  Last year I applied for and was accepted on the Wattie Ink Elite Team.  The contract ran out last month and I decided to not re-apply.  Although I really enjoyed racing for the team, I want to go a different direction this year.  I am spending a lot of time on family and on community in general.

FAMILY STATUS: Just got married (bye bye gear budget) in September and we're adding a fuzzy member to the family tomorrow (we haven't picked a name for her yet)

Job: Structural engineering supervisor.  We are currently modernizing the nuclear submarine USS Miami.  It's fun.

CURRENT TRAINING:  I'm training to run a stand-alone half marathon right now.  Every year I swear to work on my running and something always happens.  So I'm running 6 days a week at least 2 miles at a time.  I usually mountain bike 2 times a week and swim at least once (just to maintain).  Now, this is all "off season" style workouts.  They become more serious and pick up in intensity and duration beginning the in the new year.  I'll be picking up a cycling plan and starting the Half Ironman distance plans this season.

2013 RACES: So far I've signed up for one half and one sprint.  I'm going to try to cover all distances up to the half this year and get in a few charity rides as well.  I'm going to try to sign up for a few mountain bike races as well.  Most likely around 9-10 events in all.  I'm also adding back country winter hiking and camping to this winter.

2012 RACES:  I had a few sprints and a couple olympics and a couple time trials.  I also rode my first ride for MS since high school.  Something I absolutely loved and will stick to until I can no longer pedal.

WEIGHTLOSS: I'm not currently focussed on weight loss, but will be dropping 5-10 lbs. to race and run light.

WHAT WILL MAKE ME A GOOD MENTOR:  I bring an honest approach to training and racing.  I have completely changed my goals and my outlook for training and racing.  I've been thru a lot of different injuries and think I'm pretty smart about prevention now.  I know a good amount about nutrition and health in general.  I am also a serious gear junkie and can answer anything you need to know.  I've tested a ton of gear.  It is my goal to educate and learn from everyone.  Dirk, Warren, and Jeff also make me a good mentor.  They are essentially my best friends in triathlon and after their support during a very busy last year of my life, I owe it to them to put just as much effort in as I would expect.

Welcome to the group!  2013 is going to be an exciting and challenging year.  Bring your A game. (okay I'm not really that serious, but seriously, bring your A game.)

Edited by jgerbodegrant 2012-12-20 11:18 AM
2012-12-21 5:23 PM

User image

Expert
Tallahassee
I want in for a 2nd year.  Bio coming soon for the new peeps.
2012-12-21 6:36 PM

User image

Expert
Mastic Beach, NY
Same here I am in for round two.

2012-12-21 6:52 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maryland

USERNAME: dmiller5 Name: David Miller

STORY: I'm 23 and ready to really put in the work to be fast in short course. When I was 19 I saw Ironman on tv and thought that it was the coolest, and craziest thing I had ever seen.  The next summer I did my first sprint.  I came from a background of playing soccer as a kid and for 1 season in highschool, also wrestled for a season in highschool.  Stopped both due to injuries and other things. I eventually joined the University of Maryland Tri team my senior year and got to race at nationals which was an amazing experience.  This past year I did my first Ironman.

FAMILY STATUS: Single

Job: Project engineer (civil) for a small site design company.

CURRENT TRAINING:  I am currently doing a somewhat modified version of the barryp running plan.  I will be adding back regular cycling and swimming training in january.

2013 RACES: Havent registered for anything yet, but I plan on racing as often as I can, and getting into bike racing as well.

2012 RACES:  1 5k, 3 sprints, 1 Olympic, 1 HIM, 1 IM

2012 HIGHLIGHTS:  Won 20-24 age group at the Celebrating Heroes Triathlon. 2nd 20-29 age group at (small) 5k, 2nd in 20-24 age group at mid-atlantic ultra distance regional championships

WEIGHTLOSS: I'm considering dropping some weight to get faster, but it would be mostly muscle.

WHAT WILL MAKE ME A GOOD MENTEE:  I love triathlon.  It is my favorite thing to do.  I am always trying to learn more about triathlon and training, and I am always willing to share what I have learned.  I don't know what else to say really other than I can't wait to get to know and train with all of you!

Edited by dmiller5 2012-12-21 7:39 PM
2012-12-21 7:12 PM

User image

Expert
Mastic Beach, NY

USERNAME: strikyr Name: Anthony (Tony) Holewienko

STORY:  I'm a 45 year old guy who was out of shape and overweight 4 years ago. I started working out strength training and doing cardio beginning of March 2009 and dropped 80 pounds in 8 months. I went from 260 to 180 pounds. I took up running in Dec 2009 and within 5 months I was able to complete the 2010 LI Marathon. Not the smartest thing I have ever done but I was able to do it. I’ve become an avid runner since the end of 2009 and have completed everything from 5K to Marathon distance races. I made the transition to triathlon following the Hartford Marathon in 2011. Initially I wanted to take on a bigger challenge but after reading Jacques Steinberg’s book “You are an Ironnman” my goals quickly changed. While reading that book I thought “This could be me, why couldn’t I do Ironman”? I set the goal of being able to complete an Ironman within 24 months of starting my foray into triathlon. Yes, very ambitious I know but I figured I may not get a better opportunity to do this with my current work situation and it sort of wound up becoming my dream over the past year. I successfully completed 4 triathlons last season, two sprints, one Olympic and one half iron distance triathlon. I also completed one 10K ironically on the day that I was supposed to run the NYC Marathon which I had been waiting to do for the last 3 years however no thanks to Hurricane Sandy that did not happen. Following the HIM I signed up for IMWI 2013 and after the initial 30 seconds of great elation my first real thought was “OMG what have I just done and please somebody remind me why I decided to do this again”. Needless to say I have come to grips with the fact that I will be attempting to fulfill the dream of becoming an Ironman in Wisconsin this season. I must mention that two very important things happened last year which contributed to my success this past season, one was being able to be a part of the Asphalt Junkies for the entire year and two was meeting several local LI triathletes (some of which were fellow BT’ers). Both these things were very instrumental in helping me learn, grow and succeed within the sport(s).

FAMILY STATUS: Married 25 years. We have three kids two daughters (24 & 18) and a son (16).

Job: Network Architect work for a large Telecomm company supporting a well-known financial company. Work from home so major bonus for training, good flexibility for my training schedule.

CURRENT TRAINING:  I am currently training about 8 to 12 hours a week. I swim 3 times a week, run 2 to 3 times a week and am currently doing Jorge’s winter cycling program and am biking 4 times a week according to the plan. I have already begun training for Ironman Wisconsin 2013. The bike training is already underway and the swim and run plan will fully kickoff in February. I expect the training hours are going be anywhere from 12 to 20 hours for a given week.

2013 RACES: I have registered for 3 triathlons so far, Riverhead Rocks Olympic Tri, Syracuse 70.3 and Ironman Wisconsin. I am also going to run the NYC Marathon this year (barring any disasters). I may also do a sprint or two if the training schedule allows for it. I’d like to do the Deep Pond Tri again I crashed on the bike there last year and even though I finished I have some unfinished business there.

2012 RACES:  This past season I completed 2 sprints (Smith Point and Deep Pond Tri’s), one Olympic (Riverhead Rocks) and one HIM (Montauk Mighty Man).

2012 HIGHLIGHTS:  Overcoming the bike crash at Deep Pond in some very miserable weather and finishing the race. I was especially proud of my trail run there I absolutely killed that and the trails were just mud and puddles. Finishing the Mighty Man HIM, I was expecting a 6 to 6:30 finish the weather was just brutal and miserable for the entire bike, it was pouring rain, windy and cold. I finished in 7:20 but I would not change one thing about that race. I learned so much about myself that day I know that is a race I can always look back on when I need some motivation.

WEIGHTLOSS: I'm not looking to lose any more weight. I started at about 192 pounds last season and dropped another 20 pounds so I am maintaining my weight at 170 to 173 pounds. I can’t afford to lose any more weight as I’ve had to buy a new wetsuit this season because of the weight loss. If I have to buy any more stuff my wife is going to kill me! I’m already heavily invested for this season as it is with IMWI 2013 looming large.

WHAT WILL MAKE ME A GOOD MENTEE:  When I started last season I knew next to nothing about triathlon. I learned so much just being a part of this group. I think I’m good mentee because I still know next to nothing about triathlon and am constantly learning new things. I am a very hard worker and I am very willing to learn. I also know that the mentors of this group have been doing this longer than I have and they’ve learned a lot through trial and error. Their knowledge and experience goes a long way for me not having to learn lessons that they have already learned and are so willing to share. I also want to continue to improve and for me the sky is the limit. I found that I have a great passion for triathlon and endurance sports in general. I think it is part of who I am and I have embraced it and love this lifestyle. Besides I need all the help and support I can get in making a run at IMWI 2013 and I am smart enough to know that I can’t do it on my own.

2012-12-21 8:05 PM

User image

Elite
far northern CA
Of course I'm in!!!!!  Bio soon..............Kiss
2012-12-21 8:09 PM

User image

Veteran
Cairo, GA

I want in! Count me in as the "newbie."

MENTEE BIO:

USERNAME: jenbmosley Name: Jennifer Bendewish-Mosley

STORY: I am a SoCal native and moved to South Georgia last year to be close to my husband's family. I was very active growing in California - skateboarding, snowboarding, running, and hiking! After high school I moved to a Mountain Resort and became a competitive snowboarder and instructor for 4 seasons. After my fourth season, I joined the US Army- Active Duty and served 3 years. After the military, I returned to college and earned Bachelor's and then a Master's Degree and started working 45+ hour weeks. 

After moving to South Georgia last year, I grew complacent and knew I needed to find a new passion. I got back into running and did a 5k in 2011. I continued to run and train for a 10k in 2012 and low and behold the crazy notion of doing a Sprint Tri took root in my brain. I decided to do the GA Veteran's Sprint Tri at Lake Blackshear, in August (could it be any hotter?). This was a great idea since my husband could golf that weekend too. I ended up loving the entire experience of my first Sprint Tri (even though I had a horrible swim) and ended up placing 4th in my age group.

I did my second Sprint Tri in October and placed 1st in my age group - thus qualifying me for the 2013 Age Group Nationals in WI. However, I totally panicked on the swim and couldn't even put my head under the water. I wrapped up this year by running my first Half Marathon last weekend and am anxious to run more.

FAMILY STATUS: Married 6 years to another Army Vet who loves to hit the gym, watch college football and golf. We have two little girls (ages 2 and 4).

Job: Data Analyst for a small organization that manages 30 small LLC's. I am responsible for putting together combined financial reports, bank reconciliations, and strategic planning/risk management. The organization has paid for me to earn my Certificate of Financial Planning; I have two classes left and will then be eligible to sit for the national exam.

CURRENT TRAINING: My plan is to tackle the 20 week Olympic Distance Swim Focused Training Plan in January; swim - 3x a week , run - 2x a week, bike - 2x a week. My current base for running and swimming exceeds where the training schedule will have me in January. I am hoping to work in some speed work with my running, get more comfortable with the swim, and build my biking back up.

2013 RACES:3 Sprints: Red Hills Sprint - March, St. Joe Sprint - April, GA Veteran's Sprint - August, and possibly tackle the Tri the Rez to take on my dismal swim again.

2 Olympic: North Florida Oly - May, St. Joe Oly - September

Half Marathons: Tallahassee, FL HM - February, Valdosta, GA HM - February, Albany, GA HM - March, Thomasville, GA - December

Duathlon in St. Marks, Fl (maybe ) - March and quite possibly will take on my second Tough Mudder in Jacksonville, Fl in May

2014 Goal - Spend 2013 training and preparing for 2013 HIM in Augusta, GA in September. The swim is the only thing standing in my way right now - otherwise I would go for it in 2013.

2012 RACES: This past season I completed 2 Sprints (GA Veteran's and Tri the Rez), one 10k (Tallahassee Turkey Trot), one HM (Red Nose HM, Thomasville, GA), and Tough Mudder, Fl in December - awesome and TOUGH!

2012 HIGHLIGHTS: This was my first season entering the world of triathlons. I trained for endurance, not performance and not for speed and had no strategy, so I was truly shocked to see myself place 4th in my first Tri (especially when my bike was the last one in the rack when I got out of the water). Then, to place 1st in my next Tri was surreal. Kinda hilarious to see my bike as the last one in the rack and to be one of the few still wearing running shoes w/o clipless pedals. I feel like I have barely tapped the surface of what I can do in triathlons, especially as my training shifts from just building endurance to doing speed training and to becoming more strategic.

WEIGHTLOSS: I'm 5'1" and a woman - I always want to lose 5 more pounds. I'm 133 +/- 5 pounds. Per the weight chart I should be like 115, but I am never gonna see that low of a number. I stopped worrying about the scale awhile ago. As long as I don't creep back up to 140 I will be happy.

WHAT WILL MAKE ME A GOOD MENTEE: After getting through my first triathlon season, I realize how much passion I have for the sport. I am eager to learn and have always had a passion for the pursuit of knowledge. I am consistent, reliable, and diligent. I am hoping to get mentorship as I move into my second season on how to shift training from Sprint, to Olympic, to HIM. I am eager to learn more about strategy, how to make the most of workouts, and for guidance on where to focus my training. I am also hoping to make great connections with other triathletes who must balance family priorities and other life responsibilities in addition to training and racing.

Edited by jenbmosley 2012-12-21 9:49 PM
2012-12-21 8:11 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Racine, Wisconsin
Iam in, Bio soon!

2012-12-21 8:52 PM
in reply to: #4544732

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sidney, Ohio

USERNAME: mambos Name: Matt Ambos

STORY:  Story? Not sure if I have a story.  Maybe a journey is a better way to put it!  The current journey started in Oct. '10, at this time I was a lazy, at least a pack a day smoker with even less motivation.  At some point in this month I realized that I was out of breath trying to keep up with my kids and decided to quit smoking.  Made this decision and was done, but over the next few months I replaced smoking with other habits that were less than healthy and I quickly ballooned to 235ish lbs.  In January '11 I decided that being a tub-o-lard was not for me and started running.  April '11 ran my 1st 5K at a blazing speed of 32m.  But at this point I was hooked on the exercise and set my sight on triathlons.  June '11 finished my 1st sprint (even though it took what seemed to be half a day).  Completed 3 more sprints over the summer and finished the '11 season by running a half Marathon in November.  After the 2011 season exercising and triathlons have become an addiction with my main thought being how much faster can I get!

FAMILY STATUS: Married for 12 years with 3 kids that.  My main goal is to find the perfect balance where I can train at a high level but also spend more time with my family.  As I am sure is the case with everyone, my Family is the most important thing in my life and I would do anything for them.

Job: Production Manager at a Plastics Compounding plant.  Being in charge and responsible of the actions of 100 different people adds a lot of stress to my life.  Partly the reason I got into triathlons

CURRENT TRAINING:  Lots of running, some biking, and even less swimming.  Been trying to maintain 30 miles of running a week building up to 40 miles.  Going to start the jorge bike plan in January and add in at least 3 swims per week. 

2013 RACES: My A Race is going to be the REV3 HIM at Cedar Point in September.  I also have planned several run only races, that include a 14 mile trail, Half Marathon and an untold amount of 5k's (Still trying to get the 21:??).   Also have already signed up for a Sprint in June and have thoughts of doing an oly in July or August.

2012 RACES:  3 Half marathons, Fastest at 1:47. 2 Sprints, 2 oly's.  Half of a Half Ironman (DNF).  Not even sure how many other running races I did that included 5k's, 10K's, trail runs and other distances

2012 HIGHLIGHTS:  Reached Podium at a Local tri and a 5K.  Cut 10m off of my 5K time and over 14m from my HM time compared to 2011.  Now for what I see as a lowlight but try to view as something where I learned a lot about myself and will be my motivation for 2013, I failed to finish in my only attempt at a HIM.   Since my experience is still short in running and triathlons there are many other 1sts that I reached in 2012, 1000 miles running, 1500 miles biking are among a few of them.  May seem like a small accomplishment to some but these are huge to me and as I move forward I look forward to setting additional PR's.

WEIGHTLOSS: Uh oh!  Low point has been around 185, currently enjoying the holidays and have jumped up to 193ish.  Goal is going to make the push back down and get to 175 for race season.

WHAT WILL MAKE ME A GOOD MENTEE: Because I know just enough to be a danger to myself, and I am willing to learn

2012-12-21 9:29 PM

User image

Expert
Las Vegas, NV
KNow I haven't been around for a long time, but I'd like to jump in to get some motivation. Will post bio soon
2012-12-21 10:13 PM

User image

Master
Fort Wayne

Welcome to David, Jen and Jackie,  You are officially the newest members of the Asphalt Junkies

Jackie,  Long time no see.  I'm glad your back!  I had checked you logs a few times here and there and din't notice a lot.  I had hoped everything was going well and it seems I posted in your inspire but didn't get a return.  We are very glad to have you on board.

David,  It looks like you've had a very busy year.  And a successful one to boot!  You have put up some great races and AG placements.  Glad to have you.

Jen,  I'm glad you were able to jump in very quickly.  I hate having to try to remember all of the numbers of people that are planning on joining and I want everyone that was promised a spot to get one.

It sounds like you have a pretty aggressive schedule in the coming months and you sound to be a very determined individual.

I also want to say thanks to you and your husband for your service this great Country!

Welcome back Karl, Tony, Joanne, Tracy and Matt.

Here's who we have on board currently including those who haven't checked into the new group yet but were granted places in the Junkies again.

1. Karl - KWDreamun*
  2. Tony - strikyr*
  3. David - dmiller5
  4. Tracy - RunningYogini*
  5. Jen - jenbmosley
  6. Joanne - jo63*
  7. Matt - mambos*
  8. Jackie - jpbis26
  9. Dina - trigal38*
  10. Samantha - michgirlsk*

We have 5 spots available before the group closes.

2012-12-21 11:04 PM

User image

Bronze member

Count me in - bio in the morning. Just home from Christmas with the in-laws. Love, love, love watching my kids open a present and shout for joy "just what I wanted the mostest!

2012-12-21 11:27 PM

User image

New York

Count me in too. Total newbie! Excited to be here.

USERNAME: bhargavs Name: Bhargav

STORY: Hello Asphalt Junkies! My name is Bhargav (pronounced "Bar" like the bar you go get a drink from and "Guv" as in government or governor). Playing and competing in sports of all kinds makes me happy and I've been active mostly in team sports all my life - represented my high school/college in basketball, cricket (yes, the sport kind) and long jump. I'm 27, grew up mostly in India and studied and worked in Germany and London. Moved to the US in 2007 and love it here. 

I tore my ACL for the first time doing long jump at an athletic meet and tore it again (same knee) playing hoops. I decided to delay my second surgery given work constraints and finally got it done in the fall of 2011. This past year has been all about recovery and rehab and I really got into biking as a part of rehab. I recently completed my first century ride at a charity event. A good friend of mine got into triathlons this year and watching him train and compete help me catch the triathlon bug - he has also been a huge motivation. Also, just wanting to get back to being mobile and active again and having new goals has been a big driver.

Swimming was a childhood nightmare and I'm finally looking forward to face it head on! I travelled to New Paltz late this summer and took a few lessons at a Total Immersion clinic. Still very much new and inexperienced and I'm hoping to put in the time to get better at it soon. I feel my bike is currently OK and I am hoping to get back into running regularly soon, although my knee feels a bit tentative at the moment. 

FAMILY STATUS: Single

JOB: I currently work at a British bank in New York, researching and trading stocks for a living. Work starts early at 6.15 am, which leaves my evenings mostly open to train. 

CURRENT TRAINING: Lots of holes and yet to figure it all out. I've been active on the bike this year and ride my indoor trainer 2x a week now in winter. I recently started on a couch to 10k program to get my run back on track. And just starting to hit the pool more regularly to improve the swim. 

2013 RACES: Aiming to do the Harriman State Park sprint and 1 other sprint in April/May/June. NYC triathlon on July 14. Fit in a Gran Fondo somewhere. And take the rest as it comes. 

WEIGHTLOSS: I tend to stay in shape for the most part, so weight loss has not been a priority. I've been vegetarian for several years and that's helped.

WHAT WILL MAKE ME A GOOD MENTEE: I'm completely new and here to learn and benefit from all the advise and motivation from you guys. I'm a total team player and hopefully I can contribute to the forum and share my experiences and learnings over time.

2012-12-21 11:42 PM

User image

Elite
far northern CA

Hi Everyone!  I'm sooooo glad to be a part of the Junkies again!  All of the newbies to the group should be aware that this is the MOST supportive group EVER!!!!  I was a newbie in the last go-round.  Everyone has been fabulous!

OK.  Here's my story.

I've been doing triathlons since 2006.  I started as a runner after college.  I liked it.  Several years later, I got a bike and discovered that I was pretty good at cycling.  I decided that I wanted to do a triathlon, however, I did not know how to do anything better than a doggie paddle.  I took some lessons at my local YMCA.  The rest is history.

I've done all distances between duathlons and Half Ironman.  I'm a horrible swimmer, however, I've found my niche in cycling.  I'm not a bad runner, though.

In 2012, I managed to get top female bike split at a sprint triathlon, 1st masters female at a sprint triathlon, and a record breaking, fastest women's course record at a local time trial.

I've been working on my swimming lately.  I hired a swimming coach.  She's a pro triathlete.  I swear, she's trying to drown me!  We meet about once per month to work on my form.  The rest of the time, she gives me weekly swimming workouts.  Good lord....they're hard!  I still struggle.

2012 also brought some huge challenges.  Three of my friends were struck by a hit-and-run driver while they were running.  One of them died at the scene.  The other two were left with horrific, life-threatening injuries.  Today, they are struggling but recovering.  The driver is currently incarcerated and charged with two counts of murder (he killed another woman mere hours before he killed my friend) and two counts of attempted murder, among other charges.

Continuing on, day-by-day, is a huge challenge for me.  I have Dirk, Warren, Jeff, Jonathan and the whole Junkie crew to thank for providing support.  Thanks guys.

I'm married to a fabulous guy that likes to run and ride his road bike and mountain bike.  (He fell and broke some ribs this year, the dork.)  We have a cute little boy munchkin who's 3.5.  He's awesome!  I'm pretty much a stay-at-home mommy.  I teach a few Spinning classes and I'm a yoga teacher and personal trainer.  Oh yeah....I turned 40 this year.  Bring on the Masters Division!

I can't wait to get 2013 off to a good start and I can't wait to get to know all of YOU! Kiss

2012-12-21 11:46 PM

User image

Elite
far northern CA
Oh yeah.....my name is Tracy.....oops! Laughing
2012-12-22 12:08 AM

User image

Expert
Las Vegas, NV

USERNAME: jpbis26  Name: Jackie Bisbal

STORY: Back in 2009, I took up runninng to help with weightloss. I ran my 1st 5K in Jan of 2010 and shortly after a group fitness instructor at my gym encouraged me to do a Sprint Tri that May. I bought a used road bike and a very kind & patient friend taught me how to ride it (yes, I was THAT bad). I finished Irongirl Las Vegas BOP in 2010, but was hooked. I joined a great mentor group here on BT that included many of the members in this group. Over the next year, I worked hard at improving my biking and running. I ran the Las Vegas HM in 2010 with my best friend Jamie. I found a great group to bike with and finished the 2011 Irongirl Las Vegas a solid MOP. I was making big gains on the bike and was looking to do the HIM distance in the 2011 Pumkinman tri in Oct. I trained a lot that summer of 2011 and finished with a century in Aug. Then...I totally burned out. The last 30 miles of that century sucked. I went to a very negative place in my head and didn't feel at all happy when I crosed the finish line. I came back from it completely turned off from racing. I'm not sure why my reaction was this strong, but I never did the Pumpkinman that year. I stopped training all together. My heart was no longer in it.

Lately, I've been missing it. I've gained 30 pounds in the 18 months since I've stopped training and feel a lot more stressed out. I started a new job this year, and I found out a co-worker is a triathlete. When I mentioned that I had done some tris, I got a look like "yeah right". Ouch...but I'll be honest I no longer look or act the part. I know that if I start eating right and consistently exercising again, I will feel a lot better.

FAMILY STATUS: Married for 8 years with 3 kids (ages 7,5, and 3).

Job: elementary school teacher for the past 9 years.

CURRENT TRAINING: So I'm pretty much at square one again. I'm going to start doing the couch to 5K program just to ease me back into consistant running again. I'm going to start riding once a week, starting out at 15 - 20 miles and swimming once a week for about 30 mins.

2013 RACES I think I would like to run the Las Vegas HM in Dec of 2013 as my long term goal. I will be deciding on a 5k in Feb or March and a 10K in the spring. I would like to do a sprint tri at some point, but have not decided when.

Previous RACES: Las Vegas HM 2010, Irongirl Las Vegas 2010 & 2011, Pumpkinman 2010, Carlsbad Tri 2010 & 2011, Utah Summer Games Tri 2011.

WEIGHTLOSS: My weight is my life long struggle. I'm 5'4 and have been as high as 236lbs. At my peak in 2011 I was 158lbs. and was still working towards my goal weight of 145lbs. Currently...I'm in the 190s. Well...at least I know how to lose weight.

WHAT WILL MAKE ME A GOOD MENTEE: Just hoping that I can get some positive energy from this group and it will help hold me accountable. The group I was in when I started in 2010 was very motivational. In fact it was Dirk who gave me the confidence that I was capable of "running the entire 10K" and I did. I'm discouraged with where I am at right now, but I have hope that I can turn it around and get back to were I was.

2012-12-22 7:12 AM

User image

Bronze member

Good morning everyone! Settling in with my coffee to catch up on all the bios. I'm so excited for this new group to start!

I've got a  trainer ride on my plan today but before that it is my #1 goal to set up my cadence monitor already. I've had it for over a week, time to figure out how to use it.

2012-12-22 7:14 AM

User image

Master
Fort Wayne

Welcome Bhargav!  You have seen a lot of the world it appears.  I would love to go to London but anyplace that doesn't speak english would provide a very uncomfortable trip for me.  I can speak no other language and communicating with others would be an obvious challenge.
I have experience with an ACL reconstruction myself so I know there are many benefits to triathlon training.  Being heavy on the bike will make things easier on your knee but you'll need the muscular balance to make sure everything gets stable or remains stable. We'll help you with that in the coming months if you would like.  are you seeing physical therapist currently?

Jackie,  I so remember that 10k!  That was a huge deal for you and a great accomplishment and you'll have a lot more in the coming year.  We can help you with your motivation to get back on this boat.  It won't be long before your co-worker will be seeing what it is you're really made of.  The burnout from training is something we have discussed during this past mentor session and one that will certainly come up again.  Warren is one that has and recommends taking a break from training for a week or two at the end of the season to just NOT train.  It seems to help with the mental fatigue that can come from all of the training we do over a year's time.  I think with a little commitment we can have you right back at fighting weight before the end of this 3 month session.

RunningYogini - 2012-12-22 12:42 AM

I've done all distances between duathlons and Half Ironman.  I'm a horrible swimmer, however, I've found my niche in cycling.  I'm not a bad runner, though.

LIES!!!!  It's all lies!!!  Well except for the part about the cycling niche.  That's the full truth!  The swimming thing? She's dropping like 1:40 100's, so don't let her fool you.  Pool swims are 3000+ an hour.  You don't swim 3000 yards an hour and be slow.  (Sorry, I have to make full disclosure here.Wink)  And the running, well that's pretty stinking fast too!  Crazy climbing races (5000+ feet in a half marathon or something like that?) as a test of mental will.

1. Karl - KWDreamun*
  2. Tony - strikyr*
  3. David - dmiller5
  4. Tracy - RunningYogini*
  5. Jen - jenbmosley
  6. Joanne - jo63*
  7. Matt - mambos*
  8. Jackie - jpbis26
  9. Dina - trigal38*
  10. Samantha - michgirlsk*
  11. Bhargav - Bhargavs

We have 4 spots available before the group closes.

Edited by DirkP 2012-12-22 7:21 AM

2012-12-22 7:30 AM

User image

Bronze member

Tracy I agree with Dirk, you outed yourself about swimming in the last group. If you continue to call yourself a terrible swimmer we will have to begin a Junkie intervention until you see the truth! You rock in the pool just like on the bike and run .

2012-12-22 8:38 AM

User image

Bronze member

USERNAME: Trigal38  Name: Dina

STORY: Lifetime fitness junkie. I've been running for 20 years, cycling for 15 and swimming for 10 years but all just for fun and fitness. No races, training plans, Heart Monitors or any of that until I started tri training. I was invited to visit a swim for fitness class at the Y a few years ago. Turns out everyone in the class was training for triathlons. This group encouraged me to attempt my first race. I guess that would have been in 2009. I raced 4 sprints and 1 OLY that year. Every race I thought "I think I can do better". 2010 I raced a lot of the same events but really wanted to get faster. It was a painful year with lots of races in crappy weather. I did not understand pacing, had a lot of painful races and was only a couple of minutes faster.

FAMILY STATUS: Happily married to my very best friend for 15 years. We have two young children. My son is 6 and my daughter is 4. My family is the focus of my day, training is my Mommy time off.

Job: Part time everything. I teach preschool  at home to my daughter and 4 of her friends 1 day a week, Toddler Gym (which is like P.E. for children age 2-4) at the YMCA 2 mornings a week and the rest of the time I am a stay at home mom. I was a full-time preschool teacher for 13 years before we started a family so teaching is just in my blood.

CURRENT TRAINING: I think I can, I think I can. I am recovering well from some injuries and trying to remain motivated to keep moving through the winter. I am returning to running after a short lay off due to an issue with my foot. I am keeping my runs short and slow with my focus being any run is better than nothing. I swim year round but the YMCA pool is a 40 min drive so 2 days a week is about all I can accomplish in the winter. I'm getting ready to install a cadence monitor on my bike and sign up for Trainer Road to find some new motivation on the trainer. Finally, as I age I feel like I am losing strength so I am trying to add some strength training into the mix this winter.

Last years races: I started off the year great with an age group win in a fun local spring and meeting my goals for my first HIM. My goals were pretty simple - finish the race and don't get sick. Battled a foot injury the rest of the summer and was honestly a little burned out from following the HIM plan so obsessively.

2012 races! I raced 3 sprints and volunteered at 2 races last spring/summer. Family is first for me so I typically choose small, local races that don't take a lot of travel time and are easier on the wallet. Last summer I was dealing with some back and foot issues and I was simply happy to participate. I had no long distance goal. Even with all these issues I managed to PR each of these events and finish well in the standings. I give full credit to my bike for that!

WEIGHTLOSS: I don't have any weight loss goals. I am always trying to tweak my overall nutrition by cutting back on sweets or salty snacks and eating more vegetables. And I still need to try to drink more water!!

What will make me a good mentee: I am on BT regularly and really enjoy the social interaction between others who have a passion for fitness. 

2012-12-22 9:06 AM

User image

Michigan
I'd like to jump in and join this group.  I've been lurking for a couple of years and logging my bike / run training;  I will post a bio and picture later today.  2013 will be my first year adding swim to my bike / run!  Looking forward to it!
2012-12-22 9:27 AM
in reply to: #4544987

User image

New York
Thanks Dirk! I saw your response to my intro post on the other forum and as soon as I saw your mentor group, I knew where I had to go! Its great to read all the bio's in the group; happy to be a part of it.I'm not seeing a physical therapist right now as I ran out of my sessions for this year, but I think i will be able to get back next year if needed.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Asphalt Junkies Spring 2013 - Closed Rss Feed  

of 119