BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Slornow and Wannabefaster's Winter Mentor Group-CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 66

2012-12-20 9:34 AM

User image

Master
South Alabama
Subject: Slornow and Wannabefaster's Winter Mentor Group-CLOSED

Name: Slornow/Randy....as in "slower now" than I used to be.-this will be a group that I will co-mentor with Wannabefaster/Jason. I will be the older/slower mentor and Jason will be the younger/faster mentor!

We are available to start immediately!

Story: Turned 50 this year and completed my 4th season of doing triathlon's. Have always participated in sports. Played tennis competitively as a junior and for a couple of years in college. After that I continued to workout but was more focused on weights, playing basketball and some running. Decided to give traithlon a go after having continuing injuries with running. Fortunately, I have progressed steadily over the last 4 years and have become more serious about the sport. Bike and run are my strong suit and the swim is a constant challenge! I have done everything from sprints to HIM but have been more focused on sprint/olympic distance over the last 2 years. I live in South Alabama, near Fairhope, just across the Bay from Mobile.

Family: Married for 22 years to my very tolerant wife. I have a son 19 that is a freshman in college. He runs cross country and track at the University of Alabama. I also have a daughter 18 that is a senior in HS. She is a casual runner and plays soccer in HS.

Training: Depending on the time of year I probably average 9-12 hours a week. My bike and run volume have been down a bit in 2012 but I have added more intensity. Right now I'm just getting back to running after a calf strain so been swimming and biking a good bit.

2012 Races: I did 6 sprints and 1 olympic race. My goal heading into 2012 was to AG podium in all my races and I was fortunate that the fast people didn't show up and I finished top 2 AG in all the races. It was a real breakout year for me..helped by the fact that I aged up

2013 Season: It will be a mix of sprints, an olympic or 2 and 2 HIM races. Longshot goal for 2013 would be to qualify for the 70.3 World Championships....it's a really long longshot! I have a new coach and he is really kicking my butt so who knows how things will go.

Weightloss: Fortuantely not a big issue for me but I am terrible about snacking after dinner on ice cream, cookies, candy...whatever I can find. Need some help there.

What will make me a good mentor?: I was a mentee in several strong groups led by some really sharp BT members. Over the last 2 years I have co-mentored groups with Michael/Experior and we had some great members and wonderful discussions. Michael is a great BT resource! I log all of my training here on BT and check in on the site more than I should admit. I like to see both the new and more experienced members work hard toward their goals and have success. Jason, my co-mentor, is a great guy with a strong training ethic who has taken his racing to a new level over the last year. Hoperfully, between the 2 of us we can provide support and good advice and get the same back from the group.     

Edited by slornow 2012-12-23 7:19 AM

2012-12-21 5:00 PM
in reply to: #4542607

User image

Master
ann arbor, michigan
Subject: Slornow and Wannabefaster's Winter Mentor Group

Name: Wannabefaster/Jason. Don't let Randy fool you. If he is Slornow then he must have been blazing fast in the past because I wannabefaster so I can keep up with him

WHEN CAN YOU START MENTORING CONSISTENTLY: Immediately or sooner

GROUP FOCUS: Triathlon in all shapes and forms from sprint to IM STORY: Just finished my fifth full year of triathlon and I am finally seeing some of the results of consistent hard work. My first two years I really just dabbled but by the third year I committed and have been making slow steady progress. The last two years have been capped off with IM distance races which is something that I would have never believed I was capable of when I started all of this. I am pretty strong on the run, improving on the bike and very much a work in progress in the water. I have made the decision to really focus on swimming and form this winter to try and make some progress. I live just outside of Ann Arbor, MI so winter training can be a bit of a challenge. I am a local "expert" on how to spend hours and hours on the computrainer.

FAMILY STATUS: Married for 16 years. My wife is my biggest fan when it comes to triathlon. She has put up with a lot of training over the last couple years and gives me a hard time if I slack off. Love her! Two kids, 15 and 10. My 10 year old may do her first tri this next season. She is an amazing swimmer.

CURRENT TRAINING: Average anywhere from 8-20 hours/week depending on where we are in the season. I do pay a coach to write my training plan but I am pretty involved in the planning and implementation of my training.

THIS YEAR'S RACES: Did the Boston Marathon in April, Eagleman 70.3 in June and finished the season with IMArizona in November. A bunch of shorter races thrown in for good measure

2013 RACES: Three races on the schedule: Mont Tremblant 70.3 (early), Boulder 70.3 (mid), IMTahoe (late). I will likely do some Sprints and Olympics and some running races. WEIGHTLOSS: Pretty skinny right now. I have lost about 10 pounds through hard training and watching my diet.

WHAT WILL MAKE ME A GOOD MENTOR: I have become somewhat addicted to this website. I try to check in at least daily if not more often. All of my training is logged here so anyone can see what my schedule looks like. I have gotten very "in to" triathlon over the last couple years and think that I have learned enough that I am ready to assist others with their training. I like to help others achieve their athletic goals and think this is a great way to do it. I have been involved with the mentor groups for the last several cycles and really enjoyed Randy and Michael's (experior) group last time around and think that it will be a great group for the next cycle. Thanks Randy and Michael for letting me be a part of this.

2012-12-21 9:25 PM

User image

Calgary, AB
Subject: RE: Slornow and Wannabefaster's Winter Mentor Group-OPEN!

I'd like to join if I may!  

NAME: Scott ("Hoos")

STORY:  In every marriage, there's one person who comes up with "creative" (read cockamamie) ideas -- that's my wife.  Back in May 2012, she got inspired and set Ironman as a goal -- which pulled her into the world of triathlon training -- and I got pulled in by osmosis.  I did a bit of swimming in high school, a couple of 50K bike events in university, but otherwise completely foreign to endurance sports.  Over the years, slowly grew more and more sedentary -- started to get a few comments from doctors "gee, you might want to think about exercising more".  For some reason, tri training just clicked for me -- I think because I like the variety.   Have kept up a training regimen for 8 months now -- I'm not breaking any records for workout time, but getting into a consistent pattern has been a huge step in the right direction.   Hoping a mentor group will help keep me honest!

FAMILY STATUS: Married for 13 years to a fellow beginner triathlete, Kim ("Wiff" -- she just joined the Beer Drinkers mentor group!)   Three kids -- boy age 6, girl age 3, boy almost age 1.   Two dogs and two cats.    Kim stays home with the kids -- I work in oil & gas as a consultant -- sometimes working from home, sometimes in town, occasionally on the road.   We live out in the country (30 minutes from Calgary) -- very little traffic, nice smooth straight roads, popular area with cyclists (though somewhat hilly).   Lots of wildlife around here, so pretty common that I will see deer, coyotes or the occasional moose during a run or ride.  Not to mention the alpaca farm across the street.

CURRENT TRAINING: In the summer, I was doing 4-5x a week -- typically 2 runs, 2 bikes, and maybe a swim (I undercooked the swim training -- see my 2012 sprint race report for the gory details)   Since the cold weather rolled in, I've been doing 2-3 treadmill runs, 2 swims, no bike.  A good week for me is ~4 hours.    Just managed to clear 1500 meters in the pool (front crawl) and 60+ minutes nonstop running -- huge accomplishments both, given where I started in May.

2012 RACES:   First year competing -- completed a sprint tri in September (Subaru Banff Triathlon).  Finished in 1:55:07, came in solid fourth quartile, but I finished and I had a blast.   Subsequently signed up for my first 10K in October, finished in 1:05:19.   Based on the results to date, I'd say that general fitness level and some weight loss will be the biggest improvement levers.   

2013 RACES:  Have already signed up for 4 tris.    (1)  Mount Royal University sprint triathlon (April) -- a warm-up race -- goal here is simply to swim front crawl the entire way, and run the entire 5K.   (2)  Chinook 51.5   (June) -- first Oly!    (3)  Subaru Vancouver Triathlon (Olympic course)  -- July -- first ocean swim, aggressive goal would be to complete under 3 hours.       (4)  Subaru Banff Triathlon (sprint course) -- September  -- a re-do of last year, hope to see significant improvement (under 1:40).  

WEIGHT LOSS: Started the tri journey at 265 lbs (I'm 6'3" -- which explains some of the bigness -- but unfortunately not all of it!)  Lost about 20 pounds this year, put a few back on as we approach Christmas -- currently sitting around 250.   Goal for 2013 is to be under 220 (a level I haven't seen in 6-7 years)

WHAT WILL MAKE ME A GOOD MENTEE:   I obsess over filling in my training logs and race reports, so easy to track my progress!  I'm quite new to endurance sports so lots that I don't know.  Not looking at iron distance at this point, but excited to get some tips and support as I tackle Olympic distance for the first time.

2012-12-21 9:33 PM

User image

Master
South Alabama

Scott-welcome to the group. Excited to have you! Sounds like you have caught the tri bug.

Randy

2012-12-21 9:49 PM

User image

Champion
Columbia, South Carolina
WHEN CAN YOU START: I'm around irregularly until the new year, then, I hope, pretty regularly.

NAME: Experior / Michael

STORY: I am an adult-onset athlete.  Until age 40, setting aside a few failed attempts to start running, I was completely inactive, aerobically,  At 40 I turned it around and now -- excluding the truly important things like family and trying to be a good person -- training is my priority.  I have some other hobbies but they all take a back seat to training.

FAMILY STATUS: The most important facts are that I've been blissfully married for 18 years (and that won't change, apart from going 19, 20, 21...) and that we have multiple children, and pets, all under age 12.  Our house is basically a zoo, but a happy zoo.

CURRENT TRAINING:  Right now, I am not training apart from the occasional 3-5 mile trot.  I will start back in earnest right after Christmas.

PAST YEAR'S RACES:  A dreadfully hot (but still fun) spring HIM, IMWI, several sprints, a couple of Olys, and a fall HM on little to no training.  So, a typical year. ;-)

2013 RACES:  I'm signed up for Raleigh 70.3 and Florida 70.3  Not sure what else I'll do (or even whether I'll do both of them -- I signed up before some pretty big changes at home).

WEIGHTLOSS: When I got into this business I was quite overweight.  I've lost a bunch, and it doesn't seem to be a huge issue now.

WHAT WILL MAKE ME A GOOD MEMBER:  Well, honestly, I cannot promise that I will be. I will certainly try.  I'm going through some pretty big life-changes now and helping to manage issues in my extended family.  But BT (rather, certain people at BT, including this group) has been a big motivator for me and I'm hoping to use that to keep going with training.  I do try to give back as well, with whatever advice and encouragement I can.  I love endurance sport, and in the past I've spent a lot of time reading about it, discussing it with others, trying to learn from others, and trying to help others learn about it.  I've also worked with some local researchers (I'm a professor), which has taught me some things (including the limits of research).  I believe that we all have things to learn from one another and I try to participate accordingly.

2012-12-21 9:54 PM

User image

Master
South Alabama

Hey Michael-glad to hear things may ease up for you early next year. Always enjoy being in groups where you are participating......now, about your taper strategy

Randy

2012-12-21 10:23 PM
in reply to: #4544841

User image

Champion
Columbia, South Carolina
slornow - 2012-12-21 10:54 PM

Hey Michael-glad to hear things may ease up for you early next year. Always enjoy being in groups where you are participating......now, about your taper strategy

Randy

Are you talking about the taper strategy of running 12 miles the day before the race, or the one of running twice in the three weeks leading up to race?  (Hey, I just realized that, as described, they are not incompatible -- maybe I could try both!)

2012-12-21 11:37 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Silicon Valley

I would love to join your group. 

Name: Stuartap (Stuart – BTW – I hate Stu and/or Stewie or any other abreviation)

Story: New to the sport in 2012.  Last Feb I decided that being almost 250# at 5’11” and age 56 was not a combination for a long life.  So I began a weight loss program.  In May I was helping my daughter at a booth for the American Diabetes Association at a local Sprint Tri.  Seeing people older than me and heavier than me was inspiring.  I decided that I wanted to do this.

I was a competitive swimmer in HS & College but inactive for the better part of three decades since.  Always enjoyed riding, always hated running.

I started off on my 37# mountain bike and picked up a used 2012 Kona King Zing in Aug.  Tried to run too hard too fast and injured my Achilles tendon…twice.  Consequently I have run just a few days since June. 

Just did my first tri last week (Dec 16th) although the swim was cancelled due to storm runoff and replaced with a second run.  YUCH!  Still, I did finish towards the BOP but my bike was good.  My weight was 195# at race day, age 57.

Family Status: Married to the girl I went to the senior prom with for the past 38 years.  Two kids and two dogs.  One of the dogs just joined our family today.  She is an 8 year old mutt who was rescued from a dump in Texas.  She just flew in tonight from Best Friends Animal Shelter in UT.  They named her Dumpling because of where they found her but we are thinking either Maya or Armi (short for Armageddon) both inspired given the world was supposed to end today.

Current Training: Because my focus was to lose weight I didn’t use a plan.  I rode whenever I could and swam when I had a pool available.  My swim is still technically excellent but I am working on building more stamina.  My bike is decent.  At the race last week on a flat course I went 19.25 MPH.  My run sucks. 

For 2013 I actually have a 14-week plan which I am looking to run through twice.  One right after the New Year and again in the fall for my 2 A races (see below).

2012 Races: First race ever, Beach Blast Triathlon Sprint, Dec 16, 2012.

Planned 2013 Races: Silicon Valley Sprint (A race) in March, Morgan Hill Sprint (training race) April, Reservoir Sprint (training race) May, Tour de Cure ride in June, Step Out Walk to Fight Diabetes 10k in Oct and HITS Olympic in Nov (A race).

Weightloss: Started Feb 20, 2012 at almost 250#.  Raced last week at 195#.  Former swimming weight 162#.  Target weight for SV Sprint 190#.  Target weight for HITS 175# which is also my final goal weight.

What Will Make Me a Good Mentee: Yes ‘Mentee’ is a word according to Merriam Webster.  Alternatively, you can call me a ‘Mental Case’. 

I love to learn and I love to compete.  Having been an elite athlete, albeit 4 decades ago, I know what it takes to be your best.  Having a BHAG of doing an IM in 2015 for my 60th birthday will keep me motivated.  I am not afraid to ask questions.  I’m very opinionated (but always respectful) which can be a blessing and a curse for any group I belong to.  I also have a great sense of humor (or so I have been told) and I love to help as much as I love to learn.

2012-12-22 12:31 AM

User image

Veteran
Greenville, SC

Name: Nate. No story behind my user id. It's what all my user ids have been since college so I don't forget it

Story: I swam before I could walk and swam competitively throughout my childhood, but gave it up after sophomore year of high school. I guess I haven't lost much technique because it's my best event by far even 15 years later. I ran a lot when in ROTC for the Marine Corps, but they didn't really teach us "how" to run, so I never liked it. Eventually I screwed up my back and was medically disqualified from getting a commission due to tears in my lower discs and degenerative disc disease.  I'm convinced it was due to a lot of running and poor running form. Fast forward to October 2011. 6'1" 240lbs. Pre-hypertensive borderline alcoholic.  Doc said shape up or suffer the consequences, so I started running a bit with friends and significantly decreased my drinking. June of 2012, I switched my diet to entirely plant-based and learned from his wife that my buddy Jamie (sure to introduce himself to this group soon) was doing triathlons. For some reason, in my readings of plant based diets, Triathlon racing always came up. So I got in touch with Jamie and he pointed me here! This will be my 2nd time with this group and I can say that it's a great one and I'm glad to be in it! With advice and support form here, I've dropped down to 190 lbs and have come to love this sport. Surprisingly, I've learned that running is way more fun when done correctly and that I don't have to run like my life depended on it (as was the NROTC method) in order to make huge speed gains. My back also tolerates it much better now that I've improved my form.  Glad to meet you all and I'm looking forward to 2013!

Family: Living with my girlfriend of 3 years at the moment! I love her to death and she's been extremely supportive of me through this whole new Tri-adventure. I've tried to get her to do a Sprint with me, but I fear she will have none of that.

Training: When I was training for races, I'd probably go 5-6 hours a week. I had a setback with my I-T band in September which put me back a bit and am now getting over a bad cold (3 weeks). I'm feeling a lot better now, so I'm looking forward to the new year to begin training for my first Half IM in June and full IM in August.

2012 Races: 2 Sprints, 1 "Sprinternational" and an Olympic. I raced as a Clyde in both Sprints and was able to get my weight to 190 for the "Sprinternational" and Olympic! Got 2nd place in my second Clyde race and 4th in my age group for the Olympic!

2013 Season: I'll start off with a bunch of Sprints leading up to the Raleigh Half Ironman in June. Might do another Sprint in July before my main race of Louisville Ironman in August. Will most likely finish up the season with Rev3 Anderson in October. If I don't fizzle out by then, I'll do the Half Iron distance of that race.

Weightloss: I've stayed steady at 190 despite not training very much since October. Once January rolls around I'll try to get my weight to about 165-170 for my Half and full IMs. We'll see.. Maybe 175-180 realistically

What will make me a good mentee?: I admit I wasn't avid poster last time around, but I love reading and learning from everyone here mentors and mentees alike. I think I'm getting to a point where I might be able to start providing advice for others as well, so my goal this year is to be more active in the forum group.

2012-12-22 5:52 AM

User image

Master
Can I rejoin the group?
2012-12-22 6:03 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Albany/Saratoga, NY area

Hi everyone!!

NAME: Nicole

STORY: I was a cross country/track runner in high school and even then I was slow (might have had something to do with smoking in the bathroom after races). I no longer smoke (since 2000) but I'm still really slow. I was a sporadic runner between high school (I'm 38) and 2008 when I ran my first 1/2 marathon but I was always active and studied Karate/Kendo/Jujitsu. In 2008 I did my 1st 1/2 marathon a few months after having a cardiac ablation for SVT. At the time I also bought a bike and planned to start doing tris in 2009. It never happened. After that first race I started feeling terrible and stopped running regularly for about a year. After a year I did a couch to 5K program to get going again and ended up training for another HM in 2011. I have done 2 a year since (5 total). This past summer I finally did 2 sprint tris. I am still slow and would like to get fast enough that I don't have to worry about being last every race. 

FAMILY STATUS: I am single but in a serious relationship. My SO and I don't have a lot of time to spend together (for various personal reasons) so it leaves plenty of time for training. However, when we do have an opportunity to spend time together I don't like to pass it up even if it interferes with training a bit. It can be frustrating to balance but we make it work and it's rare that I miss a training session although, I purposefully schedule light sessions when I know we will be on vacation together. I have a 20 year old son who no longer lives with me and 2 cats. I have raised my family and loved it but now I really enjoy my solitude and triathlon training provides a lot of it.

CURRENT TRAINING: I am currently doing Jorge's Winter Bike program on week 3. This is my first year of having a trainer and riding in the winter. I have been trying to make that my main focus. I am doing another HM in April to raise money for charity (in my sig line) so I'm working on increasing my running but I was dealing with an IT band issue for a while so I'm working back in slowly. I just bought a foam roller and it's helping a lot. Swimming has been suffering a bit lately. I really struggle to fit workouts in around my schedule. I work 10 hour days that start at 6am so morning sessions are out. I also travel frequently and lose about 2 days a month to driving.

THIS YEAR'S RACES: I did HMs in April and September and sprint tris in July and August

2013 RACES: My plan is complete the same circuit as last year and try to finish each race stronger. If I'm feeling good and have the budget I may add more.

BODY COMPOSITION: I've lost about 25lbs since last January and would like to lose about 30 more. I've been somewhat stuck since July weight-wise but have completely overhauled what I eat so I eat much healthier (I used to be a really fussy eater). For a while this summer I wasn't eating enough which may have stagnated the weightloss but now I am diligently counting calories and keeping up with workouts so the plateau is very frustrating.

2012-12-22 6:04 AM

User image

Veteran
Central VA
Name: pvfd304/Brian

STORY: Four years ago, my daughter was diagnosed with Type 1 Diabetes. That lit the fire in my belly to change my lifestyle and try to provide a positive example on how to live a life that includes physical exercise. I began biking and completely changed my diet. Lost 50 pounds. Entered a local 5K for the first time and thought "hey, I think I can do a tri".

FAMILY: Married for 18 years, one daughter.

CURRENT TRAINING: I picked up a cycling buddy this past year and he has really pushed me to be a better cyclist. Rode about 2200 miles last year.

2011 RACES: Trained for a sprint in Oct 2011. Two miles into the bike portion, I went into a turn too fast and crashed, hard. Minor road rash and a bruised rotator cuff. Arm was in a sling for a week. It is much better now.

2012 RACES: Did a inside tri warm up race and two sprints. Ran a few 5Ks thrown in.

2013 GOALS: working my swimming form, increase my run performance.

WEIGHTLOSS: I am 6'4" and currently 230. Goal to lose 15 pounds after Christmas.

Edited by pvfd304 2012-12-22 6:05 AM
2012-12-22 6:19 AM

User image

Master
South Alabama

Staurt/Nicole/Brian-Welcome to the group. It sounds like you all have a solid start in the sport and are looking to improve on 2013. Thanks for letting us be a part of the journey.

Nate/Rene-welcome back! Rene-post an updated bio when you get a chance.

Good morning everyone.

Randy

2012-12-22 6:23 AM

User image

Master
South Alabama

Brian-saw where you are in "Central Virginia". Whereabout? I grew up in Hampton, VA and still have lots of family in that area. Went to JMU a hundred years ago. Alabama has been home for the last 23 years.

Randy

2012-12-22 6:27 AM
in reply to: #4544855

User image

Master
South Alabama
Experior - 2012-12-21 10:23 PM
slornow - 2012-12-21 10:54 PM

Randy

Are you talking about the taper strategy of running 12 miles the day before the race, or the one of running twice in the three weeks leading up to race?  (Hey, I just realized that, as described, they are not incompatible -- maybe I could try both!)

The first example is more like what I've seen over the last few years but if the second would allow me to run like you I'd be all over it.

Randy

2012-12-22 6:41 AM

User image

Master
Looks like we already have a great group!

We're on our way out of town for the holidays. I'll post a bio when we get home.

2012-12-22 8:20 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Collierville, Tennessee

Count me in!

Name: WoodrowCall/Jamie...it's from Lonesome Dove, which is my favorite series of books. It really has nothing to do with triathlon.

Story: Nothing too interesting. I've always enjoyed being active, but was never particularly health-conscious. A couple years ago, some friends of mine asked if I wanted to train for the Savannah HM, we did and I realized I really liked running. However, I realized I didn't want to only run all the time, and I'd heard about triathlons and thought I would give one a shot. Well, I did four sprints and an only last year, and now I'm signed up for the Raleigh 70.3 and Louisville IM, so I'm pretty hooked.

As far as personal story goes, I'm a 33-year old male (I always throw that in because of my androgynous first name!) high school English teacher living in Greenville, SC. I've always lived in SC, but I enjoy traveling a lot.

Family: I've been married almost 5 years to my wonderful wife, who is tolerant of my newfound passion We don't have any children, but they're a possibility in the future.

Training: Last year I was training for sprints toward the beginning, but trained about 4 months for the Anderson Rev3, so I guess I probably averaged 6-10 hours per week, depending on the time of year. However, I'll be using the Competitive Iron Fit Plan to train for Ironman Louisville this year, with some Sprints thrown in, so the training load will be greater. Right now, I'm just maintaining and getting back into the swing of things, with January 1st being my first day on the training plan. 

2012 Races: I did 4 Sprints and an Oly. I didn't really have any goals, since it was my first season, but I wanted to see progress in speed and conditioning, which I did. Oh, I also did a HM in November that went really well.

2013 Season: I'll throw in a few Sprints, but my main focus will be Ironman Louisville, using the Raleigh HIM as a training race. Depending on how I feel after the IM, I might do the Rev3 HIM at the end of this year. 

Weightloss: I've lost a good bit since I started running, but, funny enough, it was never a big goal of mine. I didn't really think of myself as overweight, I was 5'11'' and about 186 or so, but now I'm 160 and it's pretty funny to look at older pictures of myself; I've been told I look much better...by just about everyone, so I've taken the hint. I'm maintaining now, eating better, and am not looking to lose more weight, just perform better.

I was in Randy and Michael/Experior's group last year, and it was a great experience! I really gained a ton of knowledge that benefited me throughout the season. I'm going to need all the mentoring I can get this season, and I'll dispense any *wisdom* I've gained over the last year; I have a season under my belt, but I'm racing a very different race this year! Can't wait!

2012-12-22 8:22 AM

User image

Master
South Alabama

Jamie-you have an exciting year ahead of you. Glad to have you with us again.

Randy

2012-12-22 9:25 AM

User image

Master
South Alabama

I'll be away from the computer for a few hours but will check in early this afternoon. I expect a few more folks from our last group will be checking in as the day goes by. BUT, there is still plenty of room for new faces as well!

Randy  

Edited by slornow 2012-12-22 9:26 AM
2012-12-22 10:22 AM

User image

Veteran

Name - Jamie (also of the male variety)

Story - 43 years old, fifth grade teacher -  I started in Triathlon about 8 or 9 years ago when my brother in law asked my wife and I to do a sprint with him and his wife.  I looked at the distances and thought, that can't be too hard.  Did very minimal training for that race and felt horrible after it was over.  About 8 months later the wife and I decided we couldn't let that race get the best of us so we actually trained(still not too well) for the same race and improved quite a bit.  We both got bit by the tri bug!!! We set a goal then to try for one race every month - it could be anything - we started with lots of 5ks and sprints, then moved up to some olys.  Then, in the last 2 years, we moved into the HIM realm.  **That's when my injuries started**  I took 6 months off running with achilles tendonitis after my first HIM - recovered and ran a second.  That went great, but when I was ramping up my run for my first attempt at a full marathon, I started having incredible knee pain. So, back to PT and dropped from the 26.2 to the 13.1.  I made it through pain free!  That brings me up to right now.  Getting ready for a great 2013 season (I hope injury free)  I haven't really done any good training in the last month or so.  I just really started running again about 2 weeks ago.  

Family - Fantastic wife of 8 years and a spoiled lazy great dane puppy (5 years old)

Training - I am either great in my training or I lack motivation completely.  I am hoping to be in the great training mode this year!  In great mode I get   8-10 hours a week in.  I try for 2 swims, 1-2 spin classes, long weekend bike, and 3-4 runs a week. 

2012 races - Vineman 70.3 was my biggie.  I ran a 13.1 or 2 during the year and didn't get my 26.2 in (see story above) Had a few other small races too, but it was not a great race year for me.

2013 races - Jan LA 13.1, March - Desert International Tri April -  Oceanside 70.3 after that my schedule is open to be filled.  I am thinking of a fall 70.3.  I'll drop an oly in here or there as well. 

Weight loss - well, I'm at 5'11" 210 lb right now.  I'm down from 230 a few years ago and have been as low as 199 during the last couple of years. (but never for more than a week)  I would love to get down to 190 then re assess my weight goals. 

Why I will be a good Mentee - well, I think I have lots to add to discussions Ive been a pretty good lurker/occasional poster on BT for a few years.  I am in need of a little extra push from time to time and am ready to give that push back.  Lots of encouragement here.    I just want to stay injury free and have a great year of racing!

2012-12-22 10:23 AM

User image

Master
ann arbor, michigan
Looks like I am already falling down on the job.

Scott--welcome to the group. Does your wife want to join us as well? The more the merrier.

Michael--glad to have you here.

Stuart--welcome.

Nate and Rene--welcome back.

It looks like we are going to have a nice group of returners and new folks.

2012-12-22 10:24 AM
in reply to: #4544966

User image

Veteran
Oh, and Randy & Brian, I am a former VA boy myself.  I grew up in Virginia Beach.  I'll be in Leesburg for a few days over the holidays to visit with the parents. 
2012-12-22 10:32 AM

User image

Master
ann arbor, michigan
Nicole--welcome. Jorge's bike program is certainly a way to get faster. You should see some great results.

Brian--sounds like you are setting a great example for your daughter. Welcome. We'll hopefully help you get through an outdoor tri this season.

Jamie--sounds like you have some nice experience to add to the group. Glad to have you.

This was a great group to be involved with the last time around. It should be fun.
2012-12-22 10:35 AM

Oh goodness where do I start?

Story: I am 42 and I love watching triathlon back in the UK. I am now living in Cleveland, TN. I have done very little sport activly since I left school in 1987. But I'm been working out at a local gym for 6 months since I moved here.

Family: Married for 3 months to a wonderful Southern girl. She likes to see me work out at her college and makes sure I eat healthy food. She knows I like Chrissie Wellington and Leanda Cave and has NO idea I want to do a triathlon next year.

Training: Gym work only. On the bike and the running machine. I don't even know WHERE a public pool is yet. I tend to do 5hr slots 3-4 times a week. It's unplanned and not organised, I know but it's the best I can do right now.

2012 Races: Not applicable.

2013 Races: I want to do my 1st triathlon in the Fall if I can. But I'll settle for later if I need to.

Weight Loss: I would like to lose about 38lbs. I would need to, to do endurance sport like triathlon.

Extra: I am SLIGHTLY disabled down my right hand side, meaning it is very weak and my left side is the stronger part of the body.

I realise now I am your worst nightmare. A complete beginner with a partial disability. But I'd like you to consider me, please.

Kind regards

Paul

From the UK.

2012-12-22 11:47 AM
in reply to: #4544906

User image

Extreme Veteran
Silicon Valley
leechj - 2012-12-21 10:31 PM

Surprisingly, I've learned that running is way more fun when done correctly ...

If there is one thing that would benefit me more than any other it would be to be able to say what Nate said here.  If I could learn how to run correctly and have it become fun would be huge for me.

I am willing to listen and learn if you guys can teach this old dog some new tricks.

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Slornow and Wannabefaster's Winter Mentor Group-CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 66