BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Slornow and Wannabefaster's Winter Mentor Group-CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 66

2013-04-25 8:02 PM
in reply to: #4542607

User image

Master
Subject: RE: Slornow and Wannabefaster's Winter Mentor Group-CLOSED

Hello, hello! Great job with the races, guys! I've been busy with training and life, and just this past weekend I hit a little snag and this week was rough. One of my training buddies is in the hospital. She was attacked in her home. House robbed. Been pretty bummed over that, but she's improving. No more bleeding brain and can move a little bit. Still can't move the right side of her body, but the left is looking good. With that improvement and a new month coming up, I'll be back at it with gusto.

I read that GatorDeb thread. I'm confused by it. Does she want to improve, or is she content just making cutoffs to complete the race and she's just sharing for LOLs? Maybe she doesn't like the feeling of pain and discomfort and backs off when she feels it. Maybe she doesn't even know what it feels like. I understand pain in swimming and running because I have to do what I have to do to meet times with the coach. Biking, I had no clue because it's new to me and I had to do almost all of my training alone. I've been on fun rides, with people, but not training rides. I felt the heat in my legs and thought, whoa I'm pushing it. Then I went on an actual training ride with a girl who's an accomplished cyclist. I felt the fires of he!! in parts of my legs I've never felt it before, and was so confused that she said it's supposed to feel like that THE WHOLE TIME, lol!

I dunno. I can't understand just wanting to get by. I totally understand being slow. I still am, but as I learn how to train better, I'm slowly getting quicker. It's always my goal to do better than I did before. I thought most people were that way.

Ugh. I just wore myself out. Loooong weekend coming up. Races, parties, soccer games, oh my!

2013-04-26 9:02 AM

User image

Veteran
Denton

Blanda - I hope your friend will recover fast. What happened to her is horrible and I wish her a speedy and full recovery.

Jason - I just read through the GatorDeb post that you mentioned and you and many others are spot on. I don't want to be mean but I believe that there are a few things that are just wrong with the post. She is trying to improve but doesn't want to take any advice. She doesn't want to CONFRONT her coach because I believe its probably a friend who is coaching her. I understand some people are saying 16 months is not a long time but I have to disagree. That is an eternity and she should have seen huge improvements in her training. 

For the first time in my triathlon training I have lost the spark for training. It seemed like I had a week and a half where I wasn't seeing the results and just wasn't feeling it. Guess what ... its gone now after seeing the results of my races ... I am happy where I am now and what the future holds. 

I think I am testing out my wetsuit this weekend. I got my OLY coming up next weekend and need to get in a few good swims with the wetsuit. What else is going on?

2013-04-26 9:25 AM

User image

Master
South Alabama

Blanda-hope your friend makes a quick and full recovery.

On the "Gator Deb" thread there should be some improvement after 16 months given the volume she is doing. Have to agree that the coach isn't really doing something right. Seems like lots of mistakes or inconsistency in some of the basics of her training.

Its almost the weekend. Who is racing this weekend? I think Mary has a HM? Anyone else?

2013-04-26 10:05 AM

User image

Simsbury, Connecticut

Blanda - please tell your friend a bunch of strangers on the Internet are pulling for her LOL (well, you know what I mean - tell her we are your TRI TEAMMATES!)

Those Hokas intrigue me just like Newtons!!  HHMMMM

Well it's Friday, peeps!  Who's racing this weekend?  We Let's make a list - and I can update it here:

I'll start:

me: Little 5K on Sunday.  

Best of luck everyone!  check in and RR please!!

2013-04-26 11:20 AM
in reply to: #4716117

User image

Master
ann arbor, michigan
mtnbikerchk - 2013-04-26 11:05 AM

Blanda - please tell your friend a bunch of strangers on the Internet are pulling for her LOL (well, you know what I mean - tell her we are your TRI TEAMMATES!)

Those Hokas intrigue me just like Newtons!!  HHMMMM

Well it's Friday, peeps!  Who's racing this weekend?  We Let's make a list - and I can update it here:

I'll start:

me: Little 5K on Sunday.  

Best of luck everyone!  check in and RR please!!

(Almost) everyone loves their Hokas---there have been a few who don't, but generally speaking they are pretty rare. Newtons are a little more hit-or-miss, mixed feelings type of shoe. I like them but I am not sure that I love them enough to recommend them unequivocally. I sure wouldn't run in them every day (although lots of people do). I would have no qualms about running in the Hokas seven days a week.
2013-04-26 12:47 PM

User image

Master
South Alabama

Had a pretty good swim today....something that has not happened in awhile. Workout was jump in and go..6X400 leaving on 7:00 min. descending 1-3 (basically easy/mod/hard). Never really to sure what to expect in these workouts but sometimes I think the lack of warm up is actually a good thing. Of course it simulates racing to some extent but sometimes during my warm up I think I convince myself I'm having a "bad day" and let that thought interfere with my workout. Was really pleased that my two hard sets were 5:52 and 5:53. I pushed them both hard and felt pretty good.  So often I b**ch about swimming so thought I would begrudgingly say something positive

Long run, 90 minutes, this afternoon. Second run in the Hokas. Tomorrow is easy 4-5 miles before we travel 3.5 hours each way for first round of HS soccer playoffs for my daughter's team. They don't play till 5pm on Saturday so we will be late returning. Sunday is 3 hour bike. Hope the weather will be good as 3 hours on the trainer may be more than my mind and butt can handle.

Jason-my right hamstring always gives me problems. I've been rolling, using the Trigger Point roller/ball etc. Active Release Therapy seems to help. My chiropractor can find "the spot" and really work it to help loosen it. I sometimes take the TP ball with me in the car and will stick it under my right hamstring/upper leg and let it work on the area. A lacrosse ball is great but a little tougher than the TP ball.

Found an interesting site. www.mobilitywod.com  The wod stands for workout of the day. On the front page scroll down just a little and on the right there is a search function. I searched hamstring and there are videos/demonstrations on stretches etc. for hamstrings. You can search for pretty much any problem area and it will have stretches/exercises to help with problems....all free.   

2013-04-26 1:38 PM
in reply to: #4716253

User image

Simsbury, Connecticut

wannabefaster - 2013-04-26 11:20 AM 
 (Almost) everyone loves their Hokas---there have been a few who don't, but generally speaking they are pretty rare. Newtons are a little more hit-or-miss, mixed feelings type of shoe. I like them but I am not sure that I love them enough to recommend them unequivocally. I sure wouldn't run in them every day (although lots of people do). I would have no qualms about running in the Hokas seven days a week.

They seem a bit pricey for me to go in blind.  There isn't anywhere close by I can go try them........convince me more  J/K

2013-04-26 4:08 PM
in reply to: #4710442

User image

Extreme Veteran
Silicon Valley
Stuartap - 2013-04-22 1:38 PM

Jason you have heard me say many times, the only thing you get by muscling through a swim is tired. You just experienced that.  As for your remedy, your idea is ok depending on the execution.

Try this.  Put the extra effort in at the back end of the swims.  So if you are swimming a set of 400s, push the last 50 of each BUT don’t break form.  Specifically:

1. Pick up your arm turnover by 1 stroke per 25 to start.
  2. Increase your kick SLIGHTLY.  Think about keeping your legs shallow but in the water, no splash.
  3. Increase the number of strokes/breath by one-half or one full stroke.

Because you held form for the first 350 the conscious effort to increase the turnover and kick you should be able to hold form easier than just trying to sprint for 25 or 50 yards. 

You never want to just all-out sprint at the expense of form.  The swim in a tri is not a sprint, even in the shorter races.  What you want to achieve is stronger longer swims without expending all your energy.  Tacking on the extra speed over a short distance (to start) at the back end of each swim will get you there.

Try that and let me know how that feels.

So Dave...Jason, have either of you tried this yet?

2013-04-26 4:37 PM
in reply to: #4716722

User image

Master
ann arbor, michigan
Stuartap - 2013-04-26 5:08 PM

Stuartap - 2013-04-22 1:38 PM

Jason you have heard me say many times, the only thing you get by muscling through a swim is tired. You just experienced that.  As for your remedy, your idea is ok depending on the execution.

Try this.  Put the extra effort in at the back end of the swims.  So if you are swimming a set of 400s, push the last 50 of each BUT don’t break form.  Specifically:

1. Pick up your arm turnover by 1 stroke per 25 to start.
  2. Increase your kick SLIGHTLY.  Think about keeping your legs shallow but in the water, no splash.
  3. Increase the number of strokes/breath by one-half or one full stroke.

Because you held form for the first 350 the conscious effort to increase the turnover and kick you should be able to hold form easier than just trying to sprint for 25 or 50 yards. 

You never want to just all-out sprint at the expense of form.  The swim in a tri is not a sprint, even in the shorter races.  What you want to achieve is stronger longer swims without expending all your energy.  Tacking on the extra speed over a short distance (to start) at the back end of each swim will get you there.

Try that and let me know how that feels.

So Dave...Jason, have either of you tried this yet?

I did a workout this week where I was doing essentially 3 x (4 x 100 on 1:40 + 100 easy recovery) I kept it nice and smooth and around 1:30/100 for the first three of each set and then did the first 50 of the last 100 smooth and the last 50 as hard as I could without significantly breaking form. I was able to go about 2 seconds faster in the last 100 which is pretty good for me because usually I get slower as I progress through the set, not faster.

I will try this out next week with some longer sets.

I really tried this week to concentrate on keeping the form together no matter what and mostly defaulted to around 1:30-35 pace. It still seems like putting a lot more effort in gets me very nominal improvements in pace. I can swim almost easy and go 1:34-35. I can crush myself but struggle to maintain 1:27-28 and the effort penalty is significant.
2013-04-26 6:59 PM

User image

Expert
In San Diego this week. I love the 50 meter pool! I just did a 75 min on a bike (used a spin bike) run brick. High cadence on the bike followed by a 30 min progressive effort on the treadmill. I'm really feeling it now but it's a good post workout soreness. I made the mistake of doing my long run right before going to Disney. The rides are fairly benign except when I got muscle cramps on a roller coaster and a tower drop ride. Not much I can do as I'm already fastened in. At least my screams of pure agony blended in with everyone else's screams. Oh we'll live and learn!
2013-04-26 7:23 PM
in reply to: #4716511

User image

Master
ann arbor, michigan
mtnbikerchk - 2013-04-26 2:38 PM

wannabefaster - 2013-04-26 11:20 AM 

They seem a bit pricey for me to go in blind.  There isn't anywhere close by I can go try them........convince me more  J/K

Zappos has them and has free shipping both ways.

Order a pair. Wear them around the house. Run a couple miles in them on the treadmill and reassess. If they are great, and I think they will be, you are all set. If you are unconvinced, send them back.

Zappos will take them back as long as they haven't been worn outside---I mean they would probably object if you wore them 20-30 miles on the treadmill.....

They are so nice to your body. They were developed by ultrarunners for do 50-100 + mile races so you know they have to have some cushion. I have been using them for all of my long runs. The weekend before my HM I did my long run in a different pair of shoes and felt like the recovery penalty was significantly more than with the Hokas. There. That is all the selling I am going to do unless they decide to sponsor me.

2013-04-26 8:00 PM

User image

Master
South Alabama

Did about 10.5 miles late this afternoon. Interesting contrast as I did warm up and cool down in Hokas and intervals on the track in Brooks T7 which is basically a racing flat. I continue to be impressed with the comfort and cushioning of the Hokas. I don't notice any difference in weight or the taller height of the Hokas. Looking at them you would think it would feel like you were wearing some sort of elevator shoes and there would be some instability. They feel just like my other running shoes other than the amazing cushioning. My only complaint is that I could probably go with a half size smaller. For most running shoes I weat a 10.5. Thats what I ordered on the Hokas and with the wide toe box I could have gone with a 10 and still be happy. I like some room in the toe box but have just a little more than I need with the Hokas. I could see running in the Hokas in a HIM. I have another run in the morning of 5 miles. Curious to see how the legs feel after the long run today.

This was my 2nd run in the Brooks T7. I bought these thinking I would use them sockless in up to olympic distance races. Pretty low profile, flexible shoe. Not crazy about the offset lacing and given the flexibility of the shoe I don't think I will be racing tris in them. I like a shoe with some stiffness so they are easy to slip on in transition. I can see using these for track work, tempo runs or running races up to 10k.   

2013-04-27 2:53 PM

User image

New user
Half marathon, check!!!I had an awesome time doing it.It was cold and rainy, rained the entire 3:13 it took me plus the :47 minutes waiting on my corral to start! I was wondering about the whole thing until I started and then I wasn't even thinking of stopping.I jogged a lot more of it than I thought I would, I guess the crowd and adrenaline pushed me along. Feeling sore already but a good sore given accomplishing this! Relaxing in the hotel after a shower and a nap with room service on the way.Life is very good.
2013-04-27 3:47 PM

User image

Master
South Alabama
Fantastic job Mary! Way to go!
2013-04-27 5:15 PM

User image

Simsbury, Connecticut

Awesome Mary!!!!

2013-04-28 12:54 AM
in reply to: #4717287

User image

Calgary, AB

Very well done Mary!  I'm aiming to join you in the ranks of half-marathoner in about 4 weeks.  Great to hear that you were able to push harder than you thought.

Question for the group.... I just finished a long treadmill run -- about 9 miles (90 minutes).  Toward the end, I had occasion to look behind me (to see if the boogeyman was still after me Smile) and discovered that my neck was INCREDIBLY stiff.  Couldn't turn left, couldn't turn right, difficult to turn very far up or down.  Is this normal?  It hasn't lingered at all (went away during the cool down).... just wondering if perhaps I need to do a better job stretching my neck muscles during the run?   (I was watching TV throughout so no reason to look around)  Perhaps I'm keeping myself tense when I run?    Thoughts?

Thanks,

Scott. 

2013-04-28 7:43 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Albany/Saratoga, NY area

Blanda-So sorry about your friend. I hope she's recovering well both physically and psychologically.

Randee-I'm a little late but good luck on the 5K today.

Mary-That's awesome!! What a feeling-finishing your first HM! Congrats!

Scott-My first thought was perhaps holding your neck and shoulders too tight. I would know because I do it too-not just while running but always. I've found things that reduce stress like yoga and meditaton help. Also this breathing technique has helped my stay more relaxed http://www.runnersworld.com/running-tips/running-air-breathing-technique. I don't think I even realized I wasn't exhaling forcefully enough. I really think it's why I PR'd my half marathon even though I limped the last 2 miles.

Speaking of which-I haven't done anything this week. MY IT band feels relaxed when I palpate it but my knee still hurts. It's been my experience that even swimming aggrevates it. I visited the accupuncturist yesterday and he thinks it's hamstring tightness (seems to be going around). I'm going to target that with foam rolling and my castor oil packs but if it doesn't improve I might actually have to consult a physician.

Was hoping to get out for a bike ride today and I may chance it and see how it feels. I can always turn around and ride home right? I had an easy ride planned anyway.

Weirdly, I've lost 2 lbs this week without working out or counting anything. Not to complain but really? WTF? Can't lose when I'm trying but I stop trying and it works. Odd.

2013-04-28 4:09 PM
in reply to: #4717588

User image

Master
ann arbor, michigan
Hoos - 2013-04-28 1:54 AM

Very well done Mary!  I'm aiming to join you in the ranks of half-marathoner in about 4 weeks.  Great to hear that you were able to push harder than you thought.

Question for the group.... I just finished a long treadmill run -- about 9 miles (90 minutes).  Toward the end, I had occasion to look behind me (to see if the boogeyman was still after me Smile) and discovered that my neck was INCREDIBLY stiff.  Couldn't turn left, couldn't turn right, difficult to turn very far up or down.  Is this normal?  It hasn't lingered at all (went away during the cool down).... just wondering if perhaps I need to do a better job stretching my neck muscles during the run?   (I was watching TV throughout so no reason to look around)  Perhaps I'm keeping myself tense when I run?    Thoughts?

Thanks,

Scott. 

I suspect that your assessment of how static your head position was for an hour plus is probably the culprit. If you were outside running, you would be looking all over. Scenery. Cars. Threat assessment/looking both ways before you cross the street. Checking out that hot runner that just went past you in the other direction..... All I am saying is that maybe look away from the TV every couple minutes while you are running on the tready. Left, right, up, down, over your shoulder, back to TV. See if it works.
2013-04-28 5:48 PM

User image

Expert

Mary - Job well done!

I did my first outside ride of the season.  I was pleasantly surprised to see how strong I felt and how I was able to push strong thru all the hills.  51 miles.  I feel great!  Pace was good.  This further builds my confidence in using the trainer.  All the sprints I did in my garage this winter really did pay off! 

Edited by jimmyb 2013-04-28 5:49 PM
2013-04-28 6:53 PM

User image

Master
South Alabama

Scott-I think Jason and others have hit it on the head. I will sometimes have the same problem on the treadmill.

Jimmy-great work on the bike. I've had alot of outside days so far on the bike. Today was the first when it warmed up and was in the upper 70's. That's good and bad....means HOT/HUMID days are on the way.

I had a really good bike workout today. Basically 3 sets of hard/long intervals with result being 3 hours right at HIM goal watts. Glad I didn't have to run a half marathon after that. So funny how training can fluctuate. Last week I struggled with every workout. This week was a heavier week in terms of volume and intensity but I felt good. I guess its just part of the pattern of the body responding to training stress.  

2013-04-28 7:03 PM
in reply to: #4717981

User image

Calgary, AB

wannabefaster - 2013-04-28 3:09 PM I suspect that your assessment of how static your head position was for an hour plus is probably the culprit. If you were outside running, you would be looking all over. Scenery. Cars. Threat assessment/looking both ways before you cross the street. Checking out that hot runner that just went past you in the other direction..... All I am saying is that maybe look away from the TV every couple minutes while you are running on the tready. Left, right, up, down, over your shoulder, back to TV. See if it works.

Certainly not, what are you implying?!? 

Around here, it would be more like checking out the new tractor or the prize winning Holstein.  Laughing

Actually, there was evidently a plane crash last week, not far from my usual outside running route.    Luckily the pilot was OK.    That would have been a memorable sight.

2013-04-28 7:26 PM

User image

Simsbury, Connecticut
Jimmy your first road ride of the season was 51 miles?? Impressive lol. Mine was 23 :-)

Well my 5k sucked today. Went too hot out of the gate and probably could have slowed down and recovered some dignity but that cramp snuck up on me at mile 1 and wouldn't leave. 30:40 was my officially time with 4 walk breaks. That should tell you how hot my first mile was (for me anyway). Ooh well. Live and learn.
Hope you all had a great weekend. Fyi I'm on vacation form Wed to next tues so don't let too much happen while I'm gone!
2013-04-29 5:54 AM

User image

Expert
The posts on this forum are very good reminders to me on the importance of form in swimming.  I did 10 x 100's this morning, ranging from 1:33-1:43.  My faster sets were those where I focused on form.  On 2 sets, I experimented going "all out" and they were the 2 slowest sets, also the ones where I fatigued the most, and had nothing left in me.  On the faster sets, where I tried to maintain form, I could have gone much longer. I need constant reminders like this.   Jim
2013-04-29 11:06 AM

User image

New user
Thanks for the congratulations, I appreciate it! Today is a ride, nice cool day here at home. I am a bit sore still but not bad. I am having some foot pain and I sure hope I didn't end up hurting anything doing more jogging than normal. My sprint is in 5 weeks!
2013-04-29 3:41 PM

User image

New user
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Slornow and Wannabefaster's Winter Mentor Group-CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 66