BT Development Mentor Program Archives » kenj mentor group - back for another great season! CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 64

2013-05-02 9:25 AM
in reply to: #4542655

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY
Subject: RE: kenj mentor group - back for another great season! CLOSED

Ok, new group started but still in staging area.  You can go ahead and post to it if you like without waiting till it goes live.  There are only 3 so far, but there is another one that is also HIM focused so he may stagger them by race length as well as when we posted. 

You can find it here.

I would suggest copy and pasting your bio from the early pages of this group to save time and just edit it to bring it current. 

2013-05-02 9:29 AM
in reply to: #4723797

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2013-05-02 9:35 AM
in reply to: #4723806

Pro
Canandaigua NY
Fred D - 2013-05-02 10:29 AM
kenj - 2013-05-02 10:25 AM

Ok, new group started but still in staging area.  You can go ahead and post to it if you like without waiting till it goes live.  There are only 3 so far, but there is another one that is also HIM focused so he may stagger them by race length as well as when we posted. 

You can find it here.

I would suggest copy and pasting your bio from the early pages of this group to save time and just edit it to bring it current. 

Hey Ken! Our group will be almost purely HIM (not IM) focused. I suspect both groups will get popular early, but it sounds like if someone is more IM focused then your group would be superior. Cheers!

I agree Fred, good to hear from you!  Thanks!

2013-05-02 3:54 PM

Expert
Highlands Ranch, CO

Hello All, I am in the market for a new cassette.  Does anyone have any online stores that they recommend?  Hoping to pay less then what I would find in the bike store.

Thanks!

2013-05-02 5:53 PM
in reply to: #4724824

Master
Sin City
Kath2163 - 2013-05-02 1:54 PM

Hello All, I am in the market for a new cassette.  Does anyone have any online stores that they recommend?  Hoping to pay less then what I would find in the bike store.

Thanks!

There's really so many out there. I got my cassettes from Amazon. Nashbar.com is another good place to shop for lower priced cassettes.

Really depends on how many teeth you want for your cassette.

2013-05-02 9:36 PM

Expert
Chugiak, Alaska

Last BIG workout before FL 70.3 is in the record books!  Weather has been super crappy so had to do the 3 hr brick indoors. 1 hour spin class and a 10 mile treadmill BRIC run.  I now know a 10 mile treadmill run is way more brutal than a 13.1! 

On another note - I am trying to figure out how to get my bike back to AK from FL as I will be spending a few additional weeks with my folks. Looked into shipping via UPS and they wanted $750 to ship my bike!!!! Really? Hopefully I will be able to get it on the plane as it is a smaller jet after my visit - I will call the airline tomorrow - fingers crossed.

Sorry Kathleen - no idea on the cassette.

Edited by robingray_260 2013-05-02 9:37 PM

2013-05-03 3:47 AM
in reply to: #4724824

Pro
Canandaigua NY
Kath2163 - 2013-05-02 4:54 PM

Thanks!

I like amazon for a lot of things including bike parts.  They don't always have what I am looking for or I am uncertain due to the description not being clear, but usually they do.

I also like sunrisetri.com and all3sports.com but don't have a discount.  My new favorite is thetrishop.com.  I just bought a nice aero helmet to embarrass my family in Florida from them and it was well under anyone else price wise, plus they had a discount code on their website that increased with the dollar value. 

Don't forget you get a 20% discount from trisports.com from your USAT membership as well.  I have always had good luck with them.

2013-05-03 7:30 AM

Elite
Romeoville, Il
DJ, all I'll ad to the other suggestions is to check www.gearscan.com .  Do a search for what you want.  The vendors that participate there often have last years stuff very cheap.
2013-05-03 8:34 AM
in reply to: #4723709

New user
ramiedd - 2013-05-02 9:51 AM

Great day for me yesterday. Ran 13 miles after work and actually felt good the entire run. My plan was a steady pace and try to stay under 10 minute miles. I ended up right at 8:58 min/mile and was not dying. I also wanted to understand my nutrition and hydration a little. I took a GU after 50 minutes of running and a bottle of mixed water and gatorade powder.

So my takeaways from the run where as follows:

I took 26 ounces of the drink mix, and I believe I need some more. Since my long runs will be on the trail and an out and back route, I need some additional water. Probably going to buy a fuel belt which would add another 14 ounces of fluids.

I should take two GU packets and take them about every 40 minutes. I was definitely feeling the need for some nutrition towards the end.

All in all very happy with the progress. My longest run in training will be around 18 miles leading up to the IM so I just need to keep tweaking my intake as I increase the miles.

Any thoughts as always will be appreciated as this is uncharted territory for me. The only other time I covered 13 miles was during my HIM last year, but I ran as much as I walked.

Well done on the run, Eddie! I am also working on figuring out my nutrition, and I've learned lately that when using GU or gels, definitely take them with water only. I've been told this is necessary because otherwise you might overload your stomach with carbs that it needs to digest, and if it doesn't have enough water it will start pulling it from other places, which could result in that "sloshing" stomach feeling and possibly dehydration. It was just recently explained to me this way (since there is water inside and outside the stomach, if there isn't enough in the stomach for digestion it pulls from outside the stomach, so the sloshing feeling is from not enough water intake, when I always thought it was from too much).

Also, I am starting to understand the need to really fuel up on the bike in preparation for the run, so I've started eating and drinking more than I used to on my long bike rides. This worked really well for me in the half IM I just did--I made sure I kept drinking and tried to get enough fuel, then when I got to the run I continued to take in fuel and drink, and had a great race.

Good luck!
2013-05-03 8:48 AM
in reply to: #4725250

Veteran
robingray_260 - 2013-05-02 10:36 PM

Last BIG workout before FL 70.3 is in the record books!  Weather has been super crappy so had to do the 3 hr brick indoors. 1 hour spin class and a 10 mile treadmill BRIC run.  I now know a 10 mile treadmill run is way more brutal than a 13.1! 

On another note - I am trying to figure out how to get my bike back to AK from FL as I will be spending a few additional weeks with my folks. Looked into shipping via UPS and they wanted $750 to ship my bike!!!! Really? Hopefully I will be able to get it on the plane as it is a smaller jet after my visit - I will call the airline tomorrow - fingers crossed.

I have sold a lot of bikes on ebay through the years and learned how just a few inches in the bike box make a difference in the shipping cost. Carriers equate size with weight as a general practice. In other words, the real weight does not matter. Not sure what box you would be using to ship, but one recommendation is to find a frame box to ship everything but the wheels then ship the wheels separately or take them on the plane.
2013-05-03 10:39 AM
in reply to: #4725658

Expert
Chugiak, Alaska
ramiedd - 2013-05-03 8:48 AM
robingray_260 - 2013-05-02 10:36 PM

I have sold a lot of bikes on ebay through the years and learned how just a few inches in the bike box make a difference in the shipping cost. Carriers equate size with weight as a general practice. In other words, the real weight does not matter. Not sure what box you would be using to ship, but one recommendation is to find a frame box to ship everything but the wheels then ship the wheels separately or take them on the plane.

Yep, that is what I am finding.  Unfortunately, I bought a $500 bike box so I wouldn't have to take my bike apart with the thought that I would be able to put it back together without going to the bike shop. I found a company called Luggage Forward that specializes in oversize gear such as skis, golf clubs, bikes, etc... They only want $250.  Does anyone know of other companies that ship specialty items?

2013-05-03 10:42 AM
in reply to: #4725625

Expert
Chugiak, Alaska

rquinn23 - 2013-05-03 8:34 AM
ramiedd - 2013-05-02 9:51 AM Great day for me yesterday. Ran 13 miles after work and actually felt good the entire run. My plan was a steady pace and try to stay under 10 minute miles. I ended up right at 8:58 min/mile and was not dying. I also wanted to understand my nutrition and hydration a little. I took a GU after 50 minutes of running and a bottle of mixed water and gatorade powder. So my takeaways from the run where as follows: I took 26 ounces of the drink mix, and I believe I need some more. Since my long runs will be on the trail and an out and back route, I need some additional water. Probably going to buy a fuel belt which would add another 14 ounces of fluids. I should take two GU packets and take them about every 40 minutes. I was definitely feeling the need for some nutrition towards the end. All in all very happy with the progress. My longest run in training will be around 18 miles leading up to the IM so I just need to keep tweaking my intake as I increase the miles. Any thoughts as always will be appreciated as this is uncharted territory for me. The only other time I covered 13 miles was during my HIM last year, but I ran as much as I walked.
Well done on the run, Eddie! I am also working on figuring out my nutrition, and I've learned lately that when using GU or gels, definitely take them with water only. I've been told this is necessary because otherwise you might overload your stomach with carbs that it needs to digest, and if it doesn't have enough water it will start pulling it from other places, which could result in that "sloshing" stomach feeling and possibly dehydration. It was just recently explained to me this way (since there is water inside and outside the stomach, if there isn't enough in the stomach for digestion it pulls from outside the stomach, so the sloshing feeling is from not enough water intake, when I always thought it was from too much). Also, I am starting to understand the need to really fuel up on the bike in preparation for the run, so I've started eating and drinking more than I used to on my long bike rides. This worked really well for me in the half IM I just did--I made sure I kept drinking and tried to get enough fuel, then when I got to the run I continued to take in fuel and drink, and had a great race. Good luck!

I agree. I have been monitoring my nutrition closely the last few long workouts and getting the calories in on the bike is way easier!  I try to get something in about every 1/2 hour and wash it down with water. I find that I can take in close to 300 cal/hr on the bike but only about 200 cal/hr (or less) on the run.

2013-05-03 11:41 AM
in reply to: #4725884

Elite
Romeoville, Il
robingray_260 - 2013-05-03 10:42 AM

rquinn23 - 2013-05-03 8:34 AM
ramiedd - 2013-05-02 9:51 AM Great day for me yesterday. Ran 13 miles after work and actually felt good the entire run. My plan was a steady pace and try to stay under 10 minute miles. I ended up right at 8:58 min/mile and was not dying. I also wanted to understand my nutrition and hydration a little. I took a GU after 50 minutes of running and a bottle of mixed water and gatorade powder. So my takeaways from the run where as follows: I took 26 ounces of the drink mix, and I believe I need some more. Since my long runs will be on the trail and an out and back route, I need some additional water. Probably going to buy a fuel belt which would add another 14 ounces of fluids. I should take two GU packets and take them about every 40 minutes. I was definitely feeling the need for some nutrition towards the end. All in all very happy with the progress. My longest run in training will be around 18 miles leading up to the IM so I just need to keep tweaking my intake as I increase the miles. Any thoughts as always will be appreciated as this is uncharted territory for me. The only other time I covered 13 miles was during my HIM last year, but I ran as much as I walked.
Well done on the run, Eddie! I am also working on figuring out my nutrition, and I've learned lately that when using GU or gels, definitely take them with water only. I've been told this is necessary because otherwise you might overload your stomach with carbs that it needs to digest, and if it doesn't have enough water it will start pulling it from other places, which could result in that "sloshing" stomach feeling and possibly dehydration. It was just recently explained to me this way (since there is water inside and outside the stomach, if there isn't enough in the stomach for digestion it pulls from outside the stomach, so the sloshing feeling is from not enough water intake, when I always thought it was from too much). Also, I am starting to understand the need to really fuel up on the bike in preparation for the run, so I've started eating and drinking more than I used to on my long bike rides. This worked really well for me in the half IM I just did--I made sure I kept drinking and tried to get enough fuel, then when I got to the run I continued to take in fuel and drink, and had a great race. Good luck!

I agree. I have been monitoring my nutrition closely the last few long workouts and getting the calories in on the bike is way easier!  I try to get something in about every 1/2 hour and wash it down with water. I find that I can take in close to 300 cal/hr on the bike but only about 200 cal/hr (or less) on the run.

Quick google:

http://www.bikeflights.com/

http://www.tribiketransport.com/

http://www.shipbikes.com/

Remember you can ship your bike to your hotel if you call them and they will hold it for you.  Then ship it back when your done.  $250 for UPS doesn't sound right.  I've shipped them FedXUPS for $75-80

Call LBS's too.  They sometimes offer shipping or transport.  Last suggestion, if you can, fly Southwest.  $75 for taking your bike box on the plane as luggage.

2013-05-03 1:58 PM

Expert
Chugiak, Alaska
Thanks for the info Brian - I am pulling my hair out trying to figure this out!
2013-05-05 11:03 AM

Expert
Highlands Ranch, CO
Thanks for all the tips about the cassette purchase. I will check out all the sites today!
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » kenj mentor group - back for another great season! CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 64