BT Development Mentor Program Archives » kenj mentor group - back for another great season! CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 64

2012-12-29 10:01 AM
in reply to: #4552862

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY
Subject: RE: kenj mentor group - back for another great season! OPEN
jennifer65 - 2012-12-29 10:32 AM

Hi there - I wonder if I could join this group? My name is Jennifer and I live in the uk. I am 47 and have competed in local sprint triathlons for the last 4 years. I usually finish last - both for my age group and overall but I still enjoy it. However, in a fit of madness I have entered a half ironman for beginning of June next year.  This is mainly because I was talking to my  tri club secretary about how I would love to do an ironman race in about 3/4 years time and he said that I should get a move on due to my advancing age!! (in a more polite manner but I knew what he meant).

My main concern about it is not doing the swim and or the bike in enough time to be allowed to finish the race - which is my goal.

I live with a partner and we have two teenage children between us.  I been in mentor groups before and I like the idea that people are watching  in order to make sure I'm doing the training. Laziness is another of my downfalls.

Jennifer Laughing

Welcome Jennifer!  Glad to have you with us. 
We will get you through your HIM!  Consistancy is the key and we will all pitch in and get you the training you need to finish your goal!

2012-12-29 10:39 AM
in reply to: #4542655

User image

Peekskill, NY
Hey Ken, If you can fit in yet another New Yorker, I'm looking for a group, as well. I'll post my bio a bit later. Looking forward to being a part of it!

Happy 2013 everyone!

John

Peekskill, NY
2012-12-29 10:41 AM
in reply to: #4552920

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY

Jambago - 2012-12-29 11:39 AM Hey Ken, If you can fit in yet another New Yorker, I'm looking for a group, as well. I'll post my bio a bit later. Looking forward to being a part of it! Happy 2013 everyone! John Peekskill, NY

Sure thing John!! Post when you get an oportunity!

Happy 2013 to you as well!

Edited by kenj 2012-12-29 10:42 AM
2012-12-29 11:14 AM

User image

Veteran
NAME: Ramiedd/ Eddie Ramirez

STORY: I just turned 44 and feel better than I have for a long time. I have been a life long cyclist. Mostly recreational, but typically average around two thousand miles on the bike a year. Triathlons were races that I just never thought I could participate in. I hated running and prior to late 2011, I had never ran more than 4 miles at one time. Late 2011, I was riding with a cycling friend who was a triathlete and had just moved into town. I shared with him that it was always something I wanted to do but just did not think I could do it. In that 40 mile ride, he convinced me that I could and I signed up for an Olympic distance race a month away. I did better than expected considering I had not swam in 20 years and running was new to me. I placed 3rd in the beginner category (lost most of my time on the run). I figured I would keep working and building, and signed up for the Rev3 Knoxville half Iron distance in May 2012 and had 5 months to get ready. Again, had a blast, (learned a lot) and finished 6:30 which was not bad considering I had a flat and the terrain is not very friendly to those who are challenge by hills and finally, I fought cramping the entire run/walk. fast forward to now and I have convinced my self that this 2013 the year I want to tackle a full Iron distance event. Two main reasons are 1. my age and arthritis which runs in my family and I pretty much live with constant joint pain. Not unbearable yet, but starting with my ankles up to my shoulders I live with the discomfort. 2. my kids are 2 and 5 and as they get older it will be a challenge to train and keep up with their schedules etc. We also own a construction company which makes my schedule a daily changing event.

FAMILY STATUS: I’m married for 7 years with 2 kids. Wife works full time and my life is a constant balancing act.

CURRENT TRAINING: I am very much self coached, I have tried to research coaching options, but my life is too crazy to have a scheduled training plan. How I work it out right now is 3 runs 3 bike and 1 swim a week. One short run, one medium run and a longer run. right now I am sticking with 6 miles as my long run. sometime in January I will start bumping up my mileage by about 8 percent per week with a recovery week every third week. I fit cycling days but since I am confident on that sport, I just ride when I can and this year I will have more indoor work on the bike to be more focused.

2012 RACES: Did the Rev3 Half Iron in Knoxville. wanted to do an Olympic later in the year, but life got in the way.

2013 RACES: My goal is to sign up for the beach2battleship iron distance this weekend. If something happens and I can't do the full, I can always reduce it to a half.

WEIGHTLOSS: I lost just about all of the extra weight I had getting ready for Knoxville, but have put some back on during the dreaded winter. Loosing 5 pounds right now would be great but at around 178 now which is pretty good at 6 feet tall.

WHAT WILL MAKE ME A GOOD MENTEE: I am a good listener and love to research and understand a process. Always have enjoyed advised from people who have tried something and have had success with it. I read somewhere that each individual is an experiment of one so I understand that everyone's make up is different, but I am always open to try.
2012-12-29 11:19 AM
in reply to: #4552766

User image

Extreme Veteran
Albany, NY
bdenehy - 2012-12-29 8:09 AMGood to see returning folks and new faces. I'm all keyed up to start the year.

It looks like we have some nice mentor group crossover at races this year!

Ken and Robin at FL 70.3

Ken and me at Peasantman. But I'll be cheer leading as he finishes a full while I recover from the half :-)

Nate- If you do the olympic at Quassy, I'll be there too. If you do the half, let me know if you have questions on the course. I did the half last year and it was a lot of fun (painful fun). The 2 distances are on different days though. I would have went back for the half, but want to be well trained when i go back there. I'll be running until May, so would only have a month to get biking.

Bill-I was there for both last year. Quite the rainy day saturday and still wet sunday! I will be there for both again this year regardless of which I do. I go to most races with my dad he's doing the half and we'll volunteer whatever day we aren't racing. I hear both the courses aren't very forgiving, but I'll live. I'll definitely see you there!
2012-12-29 11:35 AM

User image

Veteran
Omaha, NE
Got room for another? I'd love to join in with you guys! Im up to my ears in company for the holidays, so it might take me a few days to get my full bio up. A little quick info though...My name is Ali, I'm 41 from Omaha, NE. My big race last year was HIM Kansas, & my A race this year is IM Wisconsin (my 1st). I was in a mentor group last spring & loved it, hoping to have a similar experience this time (but no pressure! ).

2012-12-29 12:00 PM
in reply to: #4552752

User image

Expert
Chugiak, Alaska
kenj - 2012-12-29 6:47 AM

CyborgQueen - 2012-12-29 12:21 AM Got a question: those who have done TrainerRoad, what programs should I try? The choices are a bit overwhelming.

I think Robin and maybe Kathleen were talking about Trainer Road a few weeks back, maybe one of those 2 can answer your question.  I haven't looked into Trainer Road yet, but maybe I will once I get through the end of the year!

DJ - I got the ant stick for xmas but haven't set it up yet with the bike and the trainer road subscription.  So can't help yet, but may be bugging you with questions as I get started!  I am interested to see how it syncs with the sufferfest videos (kind of!)

2012-12-29 12:58 PM

User image

Regular
Salem

I would like to join this group. I will post Bio later today.

Shawn Richards

2012-12-29 1:11 PM
in reply to: #4552949

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY

ramiedd - 2012-12-29 12:14 PM NAME: Ramiedd/ Eddie Ramirez STORY: I just turned 44 and feel better than I have for a long time. I have been a life long cyclist. Mostly recreational, but typically average around two thousand miles on the bike a year. Triathlons were races that I just never thought I could participate in. I hated running and prior to late 2011, I had never ran more than 4 miles at one time. Late 2011, I was riding with a cycling friend who was a triathlete and had just moved into town. I shared with him that it was always something I wanted to do but just did not think I could do it. In that 40 mile ride, he convinced me that I could and I signed up for an Olympic distance race a month away. I did better than expected considering I had not swam in 20 years and running was new to me. I placed 3rd in the beginner category (lost most of my time on the run). I figured I would keep working and building, and signed up for the Rev3 Knoxville half Iron distance in May 2012 and had 5 months to get ready. Again, had a blast, (learned a lot) and finished 6:30 which was not bad considering I had a flat and the terrain is not very friendly to those who are challenge by hills and finally, I fought cramping the entire run/walk. fast forward to now and I have convinced my self that this 2013 the year I want to tackle a full Iron distance event. Two main reasons are 1. my age and arthritis which runs in my family and I pretty much live with constant joint pain. Not unbearable yet, but starting with my ankles up to my shoulders I live with the discomfort. 2. my kids are 2 and 5 and as they get older it will be a challenge to train and keep up with their schedules etc. We also own a construction company which makes my schedule a daily changing event. FAMILY STATUS: I’m married for 7 years with 2 kids. Wife works full time and my life is a constant balancing act. CURRENT TRAINING: I am very much self coached, I have tried to research coaching options, but my life is too crazy to have a scheduled training plan. How I work it out right now is 3 runs 3 bike and 1 swim a week. One short run, one medium run and a longer run. right now I am sticking with 6 miles as my long run. sometime in January I will start bumping up my mileage by about 8 percent per week with a recovery week every third week. I fit cycling days but since I am confident on that sport, I just ride when I can and this year I will have more indoor work on the bike to be more focused. 2012 RACES: Did the Rev3 Half Iron in Knoxville. wanted to do an Olympic later in the year, but life got in the way. 2013 RACES: My goal is to sign up for the beach2battleship iron distance this weekend. If something happens and I can't do the full, I can always reduce it to a half. WEIGHTLOSS: I lost just about all of the extra weight I had getting ready for Knoxville, but have put some back on during the dreaded winter. Loosing 5 pounds right now would be great but at around 178 now which is pretty good at 6 feet tall. WHAT WILL MAKE ME A GOOD MENTEE: I am a good listener and love to research and understand a process. Always have enjoyed advised from people who have tried something and have had success with it. I read somewhere that each individual is an experiment of one so I understand that everyone's make up is different, but I am always open to try.

Great story, and glad to have you with the group Eddie!  I have heard great things abouit B2B!  We can talk about some plans available to you here on BT if you like, they give you the flexability to work around your schedule, but also gives you some structure to the training you are able to do.

2012-12-29 1:13 PM
in reply to: #4552964

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY

Omahabritt - 2012-12-29 12:35 PM Got room for another? I'd love to join in with you guys! Im up to my ears in company for the holidays, so it might take me a few days to get my full bio up. A little quick info though...My name is Ali, I'm 41 from Omaha, NE. My big race last year was HIM Kansas, & my A race this year is IM Wisconsin (my 1st). I was in a mentor group last spring & loved it, hoping to have a similar experience this time (but no pressure! ).

Absolutely Ali!  Always nice to have an experienced participants from other groups, gives us some different perspectives.  I think we will have at least one or 2 other IMWI members from my last year groups so you should have some other people on similar training schedules!

Post your bio when you get free!

2012-12-29 1:14 PM
in reply to: #4553041

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY
srichards428 - 2012-12-29 1:58 PM

I would like to join this group. I will post Bio later today.

Shawn Richards

Great Shawn!  Looking forward to it!

2012-12-29 1:40 PM

User image

Hello, I would like to join this mentor group.

NAME: Dwayne Wheeler

WHEN CAN YOU START: I can start right away.

FOCUS: I would like to focus on HIM or IM distance. I will also be doing Olympic distances as well.

STORY: I am 44 years old and I live in Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada. In 2008 I cycled across Canada self supported. At the same time my wife developed a crack cocaine addiction and my 18 year relationship/marriage fell apart. After a couple of years of doing nothing besides losing our house and cars and my love of my life I decided I needed something to help me recover, mentally, and physically. I took up triathlon. I come from a cycling background. I commute by bike to work from March until November most years. I put on 5,000 km or so each year on the bike. I had never ran before and I definitely had never swam. I am 5' 6" tall and at the time weighed 140lbs. In 2012 I ended up doing 5 Olympic distance triathlons, 1 half ironman distance triathlon and 3 half marathons, plus numerous mountain bike races and a 40km mtb race and a 66 km mtb race. In race shape I am at 130 lbs. My olympic distance times are around 2:45, my half IM time was 6:18 and my half marathon times are averaging 1:35.

FAMILY STATUS: I am single, and have no children. I have a great job in a laboratory where I run an ICP-MS. I only work 7 hours a day and get 6 weeks of holidays so I have plenty of time to train.

CURRENT TRAINING: I have joined a local tri club here in Winnipeg, Tribalistic Triathlon Club. I have also hired a personal coach. My current routine is : Monday: master swim class 1 hour in the  morning, 1.5 hours indoor cycling with club in the evening. Tuesday: is long run day, outside. Wednesday: masters swim class 1 hour in the morning. Thursday: 1.5 hours indoor track session after work. Friday: masters swim class 1 hour in the morning, curling after work. Saturday: 1.5-2.0 hours indoor cycling with club and brick run work out. Sunday: Hockey. I also squeeze in some x-country skiing and snow-shoeing when I can.

2013 RACES:  I have 2 goal (A) races this year. First is a half ironman in the first weekend in July in Morden, MB. And the second is Ironman Wisconsin on September 8th. I will also be doing upto 5 half marathons and maybe a full marathon (Fargo, May 18th) to qualify for Boston (if my coach allows me to). I also want to squeeze in a few mtb races and a few olympic distance tris as well.

WEIGHT LOSS:  I am not looking to drop any weight. I am already at 130lbs, I don't want to go much lower than that.

I am looking forward to the mentoring and the comraderie.

2012-12-29 1:52 PM
in reply to: #4553079

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY
DeVinci13 - 2012-12-29 2:40 PM

Hello, I would like to join this mentor group.

NAME: Dwayne Wheeler

WHEN CAN YOU START: I can start right away.

FOCUS: I would like to focus on HIM or IM distance. I will also be doing Olympic distances as well.

STORY: I am 44 years old and I live in Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada. In 2008 I cycled across Canada self supported. At the same time my wife developed a crack cocaine addiction and my 18 year relationship/marriage fell apart. After a couple of years of doing nothing besides losing our house and cars and my love of my life I decided I needed something to help me recover, mentally, and physically. I took up triathlon. I come from a cycling background. I commute by bike to work from March until November most years. I put on 5,000 km or so each year on the bike. I had never ran before and I definitely had never swam. I am 5' 6" tall and at the time weighed 140lbs. In 2012 I ended up doing 5 Olympic distance triathlons, 1 half ironman distance triathlon and 3 half marathons, plus numerous mountain bike races and a 40km mtb race and a 66 km mtb race. In race shape I am at 130 lbs. My olympic distance times are around 2:45, my half IM time was 6:18 and my half marathon times are averaging 1:35.

FAMILY STATUS: I am single, and have no children. I have a great job in a laboratory where I run an ICP-MS. I only work 7 hours a day and get 6 weeks of holidays so I have plenty of time to train.

CURRENT TRAINING: I have joined a local tri club here in Winnipeg, Tribalistic Triathlon Club. I have also hired a personal coach. My current routine is : Monday: master swim class 1 hour in the  morning, 1.5 hours indoor cycling with club in the evening. Tuesday: is long run day, outside. Wednesday: masters swim class 1 hour in the morning. Thursday: 1.5 hours indoor track session after work. Friday: masters swim class 1 hour in the morning, curling after work. Saturday: 1.5-2.0 hours indoor cycling with club and brick run work out. Sunday: Hockey. I also squeeze in some x-country skiing and snow-shoeing when I can.

2013 RACES:  I have 2 goal (A) races this year. First is a half ironman in the first weekend in July in Morden, MB. And the second is Ironman Wisconsin on September 8th. I will also be doing upto 5 half marathons and maybe a full marathon (Fargo, May 18th) to qualify for Boston (if my coach allows me to). I also want to squeeze in a few mtb races and a few olympic distance tris as well.

WEIGHT LOSS:  I am not looking to drop any weight. I am already at 130lbs, I don't want to go much lower than that.

I am looking forward to the mentoring and the comraderie.

Glad you found a healthy outlet Dwayne!  Glad to have you part of the group! 

Your run pace for the HM is very good!  It is also nice that the club has that many weekly group training rides!  I will hit up some spin classes just to get out of the basement and amongst other people!

I used to play hockey, and when I got heavy and decided I was falling behind my team mates so I took up the running and cycling. Funny thing is once I found triathlon I couldn't seem to make time to play hockey any more.  I will still say though that I am better on top of frozen water than I am in it, but gaining there too!

Again, welcome to the group!

2012-12-29 1:58 PM

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY
Another nice feature, if you don't already use it is the friends feature.  To add members of the group as friends, click on settings at the top, then the Training Blog Customization tab, the the friends tab.  Add the user names of any friend you want to add and then they will appear at the bottom left hand column.  Also, if you want to make your bolg private at some point, your friends can still veiw it and comment!
2012-12-29 2:00 PM
in reply to: #4552920

User image

Peekskill, NY
I'm 47 and into my third season - but am still new to triathlon.

As a kid or as an adult. I was never really athletic, but always wanted to be, so at age 45 I decided to check off bucket list items and started with doing a triathlon. I followed a canned program and got myself through my first and second sprint during my 1st season and thought "wow" I can really do this - now what?

An idea started in the back of my head about uping the distance each year and to hopefully tackle an IM for my 50th. last year (2nd season) I completed two olys and sprints, along with a century ride and since my last oly in Sept, I've been training for my first marathon slotted in about two weeks at Disney (might as well be happy too!).

I'm still working out my race schedule for this coming season and plan on uping the distance to a HIM (but havent decided which one yet), with an oly and sprint thrown in. Having done a century ride last year, a marthon hopefully being completed soon, and a 3 mile charity swim in the coming Fall I will at least know I can tackle the IM distances (just have to string them all together).

My goals have always been on completion (not competition) and setting PRs. I do enjoy a bit of brotherly rivalry from time to time, but have had my fair share of set backs (injuries) due to overtraining and am pretty much just looking to keep my self in as good of shape as possible!

This is my second season in a group and I enjoy the feedback and insight from everyone. I'm happily married with a supportive wife who appreciates my goals and challenges. I'm not the best at posting my training blog, but with some help and motovation from you folks and being called out on it, I'll make a concerted effort to keep on top of it.

2013 here we come!

2012-12-29 2:11 PM
in reply to: #4553094

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY

Jambago - 2012-12-29 3:00 PM I'm 47 and into my third season - but am still new to triathlon. As a kid or as an adult. I was never really athletic, but always wanted to be, so at age 45 I decided to check off bucket list items and started with doing a triathlon. I followed a canned program and got myself through my first and second sprint during my 1st season and thought "wow" I can really do this - now what? An idea started in the back of my head about uping the distance each year and to hopefully tackle an IM for my 50th. last year (2nd season) I completed two olys and sprints, along with a century ride and since my last oly in Sept, I've been training for my first marathon slotted in about two weeks at Disney (might as well be happy too!). I'm still working out my race schedule for this coming season and plan on uping the distance to a HIM (but havent decided which one yet), with an oly and sprint thrown in. Having done a century ride last year, a marthon hopefully being completed soon, and a 3 mile charity swim in the coming Fall I will at least know I can tackle the IM distances (just have to string them all together). My goals have always been on completion (not competition) and setting PRs. I do enjoy a bit of brotherly rivalry from time to time, but have had my fair share of set backs (injuries) due to overtraining and am pretty much just looking to keep my self in as good of shape as possible! This is my second season in a group and I enjoy the feedback and insight from everyone. I'm happily married with a supportive wife who appreciates my goals and challenges. I'm not the best at posting my training blog, but with some help and motovation from you folks and being called out on it, I'll make a concerted effort to keep on top of it. 2013 here we come!

You have a good approach and a healthy build towards the longer distance. I did Disney in 2010 and absolutely loved the course!  It could have been a little warmer, even for this northerner, but running through the parks makes it a lot of fun!

Thanks for the bio!

2012-12-29 2:21 PM

New user

Room for 1 more? I was reading through the different mentor groups and I saw there are a bunch of florida racers here and at least 1 IM Wisconsin racer. Sounds like a fun group!  

Short Bio: I'm a New Yorker who now calls FL home.  I am fortunate to work for a company that encourages its employees to be fit and active.  My drug of choice is triathlons and yoga.  I was a swimmer through college and since then I've been doing triathlons for about 10 years.  Mostly sprints and oly with a few 70.3s.  2012 was a running year for me.  I focused on getting faster at 13.1s and trained for NYCM ( :-( ).  I also threw in some with some fun sprints and 2 olys.  I live on the beach and there is a short tri almost every weekend.  For 2013 I have the Disney Goofy/Dopey challenge in 2 weeks, a half every weekend in February, St. Anthony's in April, FL 70.3 in May and IM Wisconsin (my 1st) in September!

Will follow up with longer bio soon.

2012-12-29 2:31 PM
in reply to: #4553109

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY
deeFSU - 2012-12-29 3:21 PM

Room for 1 more? I was reading through the different mentor groups and I saw there are a bunch of florida racers here and at least 1 IM Wisconsin racer. Sounds like a fun group!  

Short Bio: I'm a New Yorker who now calls FL home.  I am fortunate to work for a company that encourages its employees to be fit and active.  My drug of choice is triathlons and yoga.  I was a swimmer through college and since then I've been doing triathlons for about 10 years.  Mostly sprints and oly with a few 70.3s.  2012 was a running year for me.  I focused on getting faster at 13.1s and trained for NYCM ( :-( ).  I also threw in some with some fun sprints and 2 olys.  I live on the beach and there is a short tri almost every weekend.  For 2013 I have the Disney Goofy/Dopey challenge in 2 weeks, a half every weekend in February, St. Anthony's in April, FL 70.3 in May and IM Wisconsin (my 1st) in September!

Will follow up with longer bio soon.

Welcome to one of the smarter NY'ers! (you left! Innocent)!

Sounds like you have a great season ahead of you with some great races lined up!  There are 2 of us in the group, you'll make 3 doing FL 70.3 and at least 3 or 4, I'll have to go back and count, doing IMWI! 

Looking forward to having you as part of the group and reading your full bio!

2012-12-29 3:34 PM

South Wales, UK
Hello there I would love to join your group if you are still accepting? I completed two triathlons this year, a sprint and an olympic distance and am hoping to complete a HIM in 2013. I will complete my bio if i hear from you. Thankyou Diane x
2012-12-29 3:53 PM
in reply to: #4553172

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY

diane.b - 2012-12-29 4:34 PM Hello there I would love to join your group if you are still accepting? I completed two triathlons this year, a sprint and an olympic distance and am hoping to complete a HIM in 2013. I will complete my bio if i hear from you. Thankyou Diane x

Plenty of room Diane!  Post your bio and welcome to the group!!

2012-12-29 4:54 PM

User image

Expert
Chugiak, Alaska
Ken - you changed your avatar!  Does that mean the Steelers are done for the season ? If so, you can cheer on the Broncos with me!

2012-12-29 5:59 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Normal, Ill.

Hi guys!  I want in too.  Can I, can I? Name is Scott Richardson.  My friends call me the Iceman.   I live in Normal, Il., but it

is the only "normal" thing about me.  My career background is as a newspaper writer for 32 years.  Retired with a buyout

at a suffering paper in March.  I am working part-time to challenge the brain as a judge's clerk at the same courthouse I covered for about 15 years of

my career. Other parts were filled with feature writing and as an outdoor writer.  I had an outdoor, adventure,

travel section which covered everything done outside with no roof (other than caving).  Among topics, triathlon. I still

write for magazines, mostly about fishing. I took the International Triathlete Coaching Asso., coaching course in 2012 so I

got that going for me.

Many of you know my athletic background for previous mentor groups so to avoid boredom, you can skip the rest.

For the new friends in the crowd, I weighed about 400 pounds as much as I can figure in 2005.  I had a 50 inch waist. 

I was 54, and I was dying.  I started riding a bike after the local bike club approached me about a story.  Hybrid first

with a heavy rear wheel to stop breaking spokes.  I wore T shirts and blue jeans and rode that hybrid on group rides and

rode it alone.  The pounds dropped off until I was low enough to go to a doctor for a long overdue physical in mid-2006. 

He found cancer. So the bike saved my life because fat people don't go to doctors. 

If I hadn't lost the weight enough to feel good about myself, I would be dead.  I was riding 7,000 to 8,000 miles a year. 

In 2007,  I rode a Giant TCRc1 to race in triathlon relay teams. I felt bad going by people still wet from the swim.  I knew

I hadn't really paid my dues.  I loved the people a lot!  In 2008, more relays until I decided to see if I remembered how

to swim from my high school swim team days and started a coach to 5K program to see if my legs would hold up.

First sprint and olys in 2009, first HIM in 2010 and I finished IM Moo in 2011 two weeks shy of 60. Found out later I had

another tumor while I raced (and a hernia, but never sweat the small stuff).  Lost two feet of colon the last time.   I did

IM Branson 70.3 in 2012 and signed up for IM Moo again in 2013.  Seemed like a good idea at the time.

I know I will get help from you all and if I can help you guys doing it for the first time, let me know.  IronMan is the most

incredible experience in your life.  It is a life changer.

Have fun in 2013.  We are luckier than the elites who have to make money and keep sponsors happy.  We get to

do this for the love of the sport.  And I do love it.

(I usually log atTrainingPeaksbut I'll try to start here again too.  If you can't view it, let me know.  I think it

should be set to open for anyone.  

Edited by IceManScott 2012-12-29 6:03 PM
2012-12-29 6:28 PM
in reply to: #4553223

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY
robingray_260 - 2012-12-29 5:54 PMKen - you changed your avatar!  Does that mean the Steelers are done for the season ? If so, you can cheer on the Broncos with me!
Steelers are done this year! Just the last regular season game. Sure, Broncos have a pretty god team!Actually, though, the avatar change was more to warm me up! Another 6 inches of snow today has me suffering from a bit of cabin fever!
2012-12-29 6:30 PM
in reply to: #4553288

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY
IceManScott - 2012-12-29 6:59 PM

Hi guys!  I want in too.  Can I, can I? Name is Scott Richardson.  My friends call me the Iceman.   I live in Normal, Il., but it

is the only "normal" thing about me.  My career background is as a newspaper writer for 32 years.  Retired with a buyout

at a suffering paper in March.  I am working part-time to challenge the brain as a judge's clerk at the same courthouse I covered for about 15 years of

my career. Other parts were filled with feature writing and as an outdoor writer.  I had an outdoor, adventure,

travel section which covered everything done outside with no roof (other than caving).  Among topics, triathlon. I still

write for magazines, mostly about fishing. I took the International Triathlete Coaching Asso., coaching course in 2012 so I

got that going for me.

Many of you know my athletic background for previous mentor groups so to avoid boredom, you can skip the rest.

For the new friends in the crowd, I weighed about 400 pounds as much as I can figure in 2005.  I had a 50 inch waist. 

I was 54, and I was dying.  I started riding a bike after the local bike club approached me about a story.  Hybrid first

with a heavy rear wheel to stop breaking spokes.  I wore T shirts and blue jeans and rode that hybrid on group rides and

rode it alone.  The pounds dropped off until I was low enough to go to a doctor for a long overdue physical in mid-2006. 

He found cancer. So the bike saved my life because fat people don't go to doctors. 

If I hadn't lost the weight enough to feel good about myself, I would be dead.  I was riding 7,000 to 8,000 miles a year. 

In 2007,  I rode a Giant TCRc1 to race in triathlon relay teams. I felt bad going by people still wet from the swim.  I knew

I hadn't really paid my dues.  I loved the people a lot!  In 2008, more relays until I decided to see if I remembered how

to swim from my high school swim team days and started a coach to 5K program to see if my legs would hold up.

First sprint and olys in 2009, first HIM in 2010 and I finished IM Moo in 2011 two weeks shy of 60. Found out later I had

another tumor while I raced (and a hernia, but never sweat the small stuff).  Lost two feet of colon the last time.   I did

IM Branson 70.3 in 2012 and signed up for IM Moo again in 2013.  Seemed like a good idea at the time.

I know I will get help from you all and if I can help you guys doing it for the first time, let me know.  IronMan is the most

incredible experience in your life.  It is a life changer.

Have fun in 2013.  We are luckier than the elites who have to make money and keep sponsors happy.  We get to

do this for the love of the sport.  And I do love it.

(I usually log atTrainingPeaksbut I'll try to start here again too.  If you can't view it, let me know.  I think it

should be set to open for anyone.  

Great to have you with us again Ice! I think you can bulk upload your work outs from training peaks from your blog by hitting the upload button and entering you user I'd and password and a date range. Your success story never gets old and is always an inspiration!
2012-12-29 6:31 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Normal, Ill.

Green Bay is still in. You can cross over if you like.  I hear the Bears fans are tomorrow.  Hear we Green Bay fans chant, Join us, join us...

Edited by IceManScott 2012-12-29 6:31 PM
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » kenj mentor group - back for another great season! CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 64