BT Development Mentor Program Archives » kenj mentor group - back for another great season! CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 64

2013-04-29 4:43 AM
in reply to: #4718116

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY
Subject: RE: kenj mentor group - back for another great season! CLOSED

bdenehy - 2013-04-28 7:49 PM Fantastic racing Ken!I had a decent duathlon today and a great running day Saturday.I had one of my best med/long training runs and we made my wifes 5K goal with a minute to spare and the kids did their race. they had fun, but were more interested in th pony rides and playground :-) Now its time to be serious about tapering.. Hope all you other racers had great ones!Ice?

Enjoy the taper Bill!! 

Great job with the du!! 

2013-04-29 10:36 AM
in reply to: #4542655

User image

Elite
Romeoville, Il

Back to work today!

Got some riding in this weekend and A LOT of much needed yard work done.  I'm racing this weekend....kind of.  I don't have near the miles in running to actually throw down on a 1/2 marathon right now.  Since my dad signed up for the race too for his first 1/2 mary, I'm going to jog along with him.  Should be fun!

My coach put together a really nice re-cap and video of training camp on his website if you are interested

http://tzcoaching.com/blog/2013/04/26/2013-california-spring-training-camp-recap/

2013-04-30 11:49 AM
in reply to: #4717764

User image

Veteran
Long Island, NY

kenj - 2013-04-28 11:24 AM 1:39:32!! PR for me by over 5 minutes!! 

Ken - That's really impressive!

Me on the other hand - I'll be happy to stay under 2:05 this weekend.....

2013-04-30 11:56 AM

User image

Veteran
Long Island, NY

Quick question for the group:

I can’t help myself I need to know my exact pace/distance/time – what can I say I like data. However I’m seriously thinking of just using my watch fo time only  for this weekend’s HM. I’ve run the distance many times in the past although I’ve never actually raced a HM by itself.

I know my body and my pace pretty well and I’m wondering if I should just trust myself and see what happens.

I’ve got to try or buy something new otherwise it won’t be an official taper for me – I’m far to relaxed right now…..Embarassed

2013-04-30 2:42 PM

User image

Hey, Adam.  I think it's a good idea to try and race once in while with minimal data.  I've gone back and forth over the years.  For awhile I was running seriously, and I was on the start line for a half marathon when my garmin barfed and froze.  I hadn't run without data for probably year at that point, and this was an odd course, on trail, and mostly downhill at the start.  After freaking out for a few minutes, I just picked out someone who was running about my speed and followed her.  Turned out I went out WAY faster than I had planned, so the finish was rough, but even so I PR'd by 5 minutes.  It was also just a really fun race for me.  Now I purposely do some of my workouts and races "blind", so I pay more attention to my body, and just to change things up a bit.  It sounds like this is not an "A" race for you, so I say run zen!

Jaime

2013-04-30 3:02 PM
in reply to: #4720822

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cold Spring, NY
acv - 2013-04-30 12:56 PM

I can’t help myself I need to know my exact pace/distance/time – what can I say I like data. However I’m seriously thinking of just using my watch fo time only  for this weekend’s HM. I’ve run the distance many times in the past although I’ve never actually raced a HM by itself.

I know my body and my pace pretty well and I’m wondering if I should just trust myself and see what happens.

I’ve got to try or buy something new otherwise it won’t be an official taper for me – I’m far to relaxed right now…..Embarassed

I'm a bad one to chime in on this.  I wear my Garmin racing, training, in the shower, to black-tie events... you get the idea.  If you want to run by feel, but think its something that might freak you out during the race, just wear your data device but set it on a page to just show time.  If you cant help but peek, you can always scroll to the pace, etc during the race.  I'd  be more comfortable going without mine in a crowded field where I knew I could latch onto someone to pace off of.  At smaller races, sometimes you are just on your own sometimes.  Have a great race!

2013-04-30 3:26 PM
in reply to: #4721193

User image

Regular
Denver
bdenehy - 2013-04-30 3:02 PM

I'm a bad one to chime in on this.  I wear my Garmin racing, training, in the shower, to black-tie events... you get the idea.  If you want to run by feel, but think its something that might freak you out during the race, just wear your data device but set it on a page to just show time.  If you cant help but peek, you can always scroll to the pace, etc during the race.  I'd  be more comfortable going without mine in a crowded field where I knew I could latch onto someone to pace off of.  At smaller races, sometimes you are just on your own sometimes.  Have a great race!

LOL Bill... "Black Tie Events!!!" ... Good ONE!
2013-04-30 3:31 PM

User image

Regular
Denver
acv - 2013-04-30 11:56 AM

Adam - I, like Bill, would wear my Garmin to a "Black Tie Event"... and like you, I love knowing my stats. How about just think of it as a tool... for me, I use it to push myself to stay on pace when I am tired and I think I'm "Killin' It!" when in reality I am not. Others use it to hold them back for pacing purposes... keeps them from going out too hard. I can also go by feel... as I know my body and you will be surprised at what you can do if you don't know the numbers (ie. You may be limiting yourseof if you hold youraelf to paces you *know*)Make a personal decision about if and how you want to use your tool... then commit for the race and review each and every stat after the event! Enjoy!
2013-04-30 5:54 PM

User image

Regular
Denver
My boss just asked me when my next IRONMAN is???? I didn't know he cared!!!
2013-04-30 8:03 PM
in reply to: #4721451

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY
CarlaLThompson - 2013-04-30 6:54 PMMy boss just asked me when my next IRONMAN is???? I didn't know he cared!!!
That must feel good!
2013-04-30 8:09 PM

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY

I guess it depends on your goals and how disciplined you are. i am not sure I could PR without knowing the pace to maintain the effort. But, either way I would have it on me to analyze the data later even if I didn't use it for the race. If it was a race that I was just doing for fun and training with no pace goals, I might run it without having the Garmin close by, simply to keep the pace slow and avoid racing.

2013-04-30 8:10 PM
in reply to: #4721158

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY
RunningJoke - 2013-04-30 3:42 PM

Hey, Adam.  I think it's a good idea to try and race once in while with minimal data.  I've gone back and forth over the years.  For awhile I was running seriously, and I was on the start line for a half marathon when my garmin barfed and froze.  I hadn't run without data for probably year at that point, and this was an odd course, on trail, and mostly downhill at the start.  After freaking out for a few minutes, I just picked out someone who was running about my speed and followed her.  Turned out I went out WAY faster than I had planned, so the finish was rough, but even so I PR'd by 5 minutes.  It was also just a really fun race for me.  Now I purposely do some of my workouts and races "blind", so I pay more attention to my body, and just to change things up a bit.  It sounds like this is not an "A" race for you, so I say run zen!

Jaime

Good post Jaime, it does depend on the goal of the race!
2013-04-30 8:11 PM
in reply to: #4721193

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY
bdenehy - 2013-04-30 4:02 PM

Wheres the like button!
2013-05-01 5:31 PM

User image

Master
Sin City
Hello folks from the cave!!

I know, I have been hiding for over a month. Forgive me...many things has happened, mostly personal, so I just kind of shut myself out in some areas. No worries, nothing terrible or anything bad. :D

What I've been doing so far - cycling, cycling and more cycling! 451 miles this month, highest volume in cycling in a month. I'm really proud of that. I do not know if I'll beat it for the month of May, but it'll be close!

I recently did Zion Gran Fondo hosted by Planet Ultra. They do quite a few Gran Fondo and various rides/triathlons around Utah, Vegas, and AZ. This is their first one in Zion, UT. I never have been there, and it was the most BEAUTIFUL place to ride. I got to ride some of the St. George Ironman course. Oh yeah, those hills are quite the experience. :D Fastest long ride ever - 78 miles at 16mph. 65 of those miles, I avg'd at 16.86. (Including the dang BIG hill!!) REALLY happy about that. My riding partner and I fizzled the last 10 miles.

Nothing really serious happened on the ride (aside from losing my Big Chill bottle launching from my rear hydration system. ), except my stomach was just feeling very heavy as if the food will NOT move along. My riding partner kept saying I got to eat...well, I know that I got to eat, but I can't eat any more because I could FEEL the food not moving from my stomach to my intestines. It was weird. Definitely not bloated feeling, but just feeling heavy. I *think* it's because at the aid stations there was no "hydrating" foods such as Oranges and watermelons. They tend to go through me much faster than bananas or cookies. Lesson learned, bring some Cuties for just in case. :D After a while of walking around at the end, and riding a little bit more into the National Park (took it way easy here), I finally felt much better. Has this happened to anyone? Is it normal for the stomach to really just shut off and not "work" to digest the foods?

I have a MS150 in Sedona, AZ on May 18, then San Diego (a biggie) on June 1st. Strength training started, and I hope to see the difference by San Diego. I also am getting a coach to help me figure out why I'm still struggling on the hills. She's going to look at my stroke mechanics and give me some serious pointers and a workout going on Mt. Potosi (2400' STRAIGHT elevation for 9 miles).

I will try to read and keep up with everyone and see how everyone's doing. Hope everyone's doing well!
2013-05-01 5:38 PM

User image

Master
Sin City
acv - 2013-04-30 9:56 AM

I agree with the others. Try it! Is it your A race? If it's not, then just go for it! It'll really test your "trust your inner RPE". Suppose in the future that your HR monitor died? Supposed you forgot to charge your Garmin prior to race? I find it a little bit hilarious to see some people really freak out when they don't have "data" right in front of them for their races, or they get really upset about it. What do you think people did back in the 90's? 70's? when they ran marathons?
2013-05-01 5:40 PM
in reply to: #4717201

User image

Master
Sin City
robingray_260 - 2013-04-27 10:12 AM

kenj - 2013-04-27 5:43 AM

Good luck Ice and Bill as well this weekend!!

Unwelded the bike from the trainer for today's 4 hour brick!  It is cool, 35-40, but sunny and no wind so I am going outside!!

My 4 hour brick is next week - sounds like the weather here will be similar to yours!

Starting to get really excited for my first Half!!!!  I have hit all my workouts for the last 5 or so weeks. This week was the first time I have had more than 12 hours in S/B/R. Only one more big volume week then taper!

AWESOME!! I look forward to read your HIM report!!

2013-05-01 6:10 PM

User image

Veteran
Omaha, NE
Welcome back DJ! I know how it is when you get busy and something has to give!

Regarding running with/without data. I love going with it, but also force myself to "go without" sometimes & it's very freeing.

Just "enjoying" the Nebraska weather, 80 yesterday, 35 today. Snow on tap for the next 2 days! Yes, SNOW in MAY. Really, really over it. I keep saying, this is the last of it, then it keeps coming back. Oye vey! Hope everyone else is having better weather.

2013-05-01 7:59 PM
in reply to: #4723159

User image

Master
Sin City
Omahabritt - 2013-05-01 4:10 PM

Welcome back DJ! I know how it is when you get busy and something has to give!

Regarding running with/without data. I love going with it, but also force myself to "go without" sometimes & it's very freeing.

Just "enjoying" the Nebraska weather, 80 yesterday, 35 today. Snow on tap for the next 2 days! Yes, SNOW in MAY. Really, really over it. I keep saying, this is the last of it, then it keeps coming back. Oye vey! Hope everyone else is having better weather.

It hit the 100's just a couple days ago. *sobs* I am going to miss late morning bike rides. It SUCKS to get up at 5 am for 6-7am starts. :-(
2013-05-02 2:49 AM
in reply to: #4723270

User image

Veteran
Stockton-on-Tees
I may not be as competitive as some of you guys but I think you should measure and pace and do all that serious techy stuff when you're training - and sometimes train without just for the joy of it, but in the race..that's the really fun freeing bit and you don't have to hit a certain time, just maybe pass someone or catch the person in front of you..enjoy the support of the crowd and let the race guys do all the timings. Or am I being a bit simplistic? (probably). I understand that for IM and HIM you have to complete certain sections in a certain time ..which I was/am always concerned about - but surely you just need a sports watch for that.

from the back of the pack
Jennifer
2013-05-02 4:14 AM
in reply to: #4723112

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY

CyborgQueen - 2013-05-01 6:31 PM Hello folks from the cave!! I know, I have been hiding for over a month. Forgive me...many things has happened, mostly personal, so I just kind of shut myself out in some areas. No worries, nothing terrible or anything bad. :D What I've been doing so far - cycling, cycling and more cycling! 451 miles this month, highest volume in cycling in a month. I'm really proud of that. I do not know if I'll beat it for the month of May, but it'll be close! I recently did Zion Gran Fondo hosted by Planet Ultra. They do quite a few Gran Fondo and various rides/triathlons around Utah, Vegas, and AZ. This is their first one in Zion, UT. I never have been there, and it was the most BEAUTIFUL place to ride. I got to ride some of the St. George Ironman course. Oh yeah, those hills are quite the experience. :D Fastest long ride ever - 78 miles at 16mph. 65 of those miles, I avg'd at 16.86. (Including the dang BIG hill!!) REALLY happy about that. My riding partner and I fizzled the last 10 miles. Nothing really serious happened on the ride (aside from losing my Big Chill bottle launching from my rear hydration system. ), except my stomach was just feeling very heavy as if the food will NOT move along. My riding partner kept saying I got to eat...well, I know that I got to eat, but I can't eat any more because I could FEEL the food not moving from my stomach to my intestines. It was weird. Definitely not bloated feeling, but just feeling heavy. I *think* it's because at the aid stations there was no "hydrating" foods such as Oranges and watermelons. They tend to go through me much faster than bananas or cookies. Lesson learned, bring some Cuties for just in case. :D After a while of walking around at the end, and riding a little bit more into the National Park (took it way easy here), I finally felt much better. Has this happened to anyone? Is it normal for the stomach to really just shut off and not "work" to digest the foods? I have a MS150 in Sedona, AZ on May 18, then San Diego (a biggie) on June 1st. Strength training started, and I hope to see the difference by San Diego. I also am getting a coach to help me figure out why I'm still struggling on the hills. She's going to look at my stroke mechanics and give me some serious pointers and a workout going on Mt. Potosi (2400' STRAIGHT elevation for 9 miles). I will try to read and keep up with everyone and see how everyone's doing. Hope everyone's doing well!

Great to hear from you DJ!!!  I hope all is well with you!

Sounds like you have been having lots of fun on the bike and the hard work is paying off with faster times!  Way to go!

2013-05-02 4:15 AM
in reply to: #4723159

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY

Omahabritt - 2013-05-01 7:10 PM Welcome back DJ! I know how it is when you get busy and something has to give! Regarding running with/without data. I love going with it, but also force myself to "go without" sometimes & it's very freeing. Just "enjoying" the Nebraska weather, 80 yesterday, 35 today. Snow on tap for the next 2 days! Yes, SNOW in MAY. Really, really over it. I keep saying, this is the last of it, then it keeps coming back. Oye vey! Hope everyone else is having better weather.

Strange weather all over this year.  I hope it ends soon!

2013-05-02 4:16 AM
in reply to: #4723452

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY

jennifer65 - 2013-05-02 3:49 AM I may not be as competitive as some of you guys but I think you should measure and pace and do all that serious techy stuff when you're training - and sometimes train without just for the joy of it, but in the race..that's the really fun freeing bit and you don't have to hit a certain time, just maybe pass someone or catch the person in front of you..enjoy the support of the crowd and let the race guys do all the timings. Or am I being a bit simplistic? (probably). I understand that for IM and HIM you have to complete certain sections in a certain time ..which I was/am always concerned about - but surely you just need a sports watch for that. from the back of the pack Jennifer

How's your training this week Jennifer?  Hopefully all is well!

2013-05-02 8:51 AM

User image

Veteran
Great day for me yesterday. Ran 13 miles after work and actually felt good the entire run. My plan was a steady pace and try to stay under 10 minute miles. I ended up right at 8:58 min/mile and was not dying. I also wanted to understand my nutrition and hydration a little. I took a GU after 50 minutes of running and a bottle of mixed water and gatorade powder.

So my takeaways from the run where as follows:

I took 26 ounces of the drink mix, and I believe I need some more. Since my long runs will be on the trail and an out and back route, I need some additional water. Probably going to buy a fuel belt which would add another 14 ounces of fluids.

I should take two GU packets and take them about every 40 minutes. I was definitely feeling the need for some nutrition towards the end.

All in all very happy with the progress. My longest run in training will be around 18 miles leading up to the IM so I just need to keep tweaking my intake as I increase the miles.

Any thoughts as always will be appreciated as this is uncharted territory for me. The only other time I covered 13 miles was during my HIM last year, but I ran as much as I walked.
2013-05-02 9:12 AM
in reply to: #4723709

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY

ramiedd - 2013-05-02 9:51 AM Great day for me yesterday. Ran 13 miles after work and actually felt good the entire run. My plan was a steady pace and try to stay under 10 minute miles. I ended up right at 8:58 min/mile and was not dying. I also wanted to understand my nutrition and hydration a little. I took a GU after 50 minutes of running and a bottle of mixed water and gatorade powder. So my takeaways from the run where as follows: I took 26 ounces of the drink mix, and I believe I need some more. Since my long runs will be on the trail and an out and back route, I need some additional water. Probably going to buy a fuel belt which would add another 14 ounces of fluids. I should take two GU packets and take them about every 40 minutes. I was definitely feeling the need for some nutrition towards the end. All in all very happy with the progress. My longest run in training will be around 18 miles leading up to the IM so I just need to keep tweaking my intake as I increase the miles. Any thoughts as always will be appreciated as this is uncharted territory for me. The only other time I covered 13 miles was during my HIM last year, but I ran as much as I walked.

Good work Eddie!  Good to practice and experiment with the nutrition and fluid intake to see what works!

2013-05-02 9:13 AM

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY
Ok, we have been archived!!  I will get the new thread started!
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » kenj mentor group - back for another great season! CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 64